Simple Engi UI QoL

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

After playing my engi for a while since the major patch, I have one (hopefully) simple UI change that would make a world of difference to me, put a gap between the f4 and f5 skills. You do this with mainhand/offhand weapons, putting a little visual gap between the two, please put this between the f4 and f5, because as they are now, it’s very visually confusing to me.

On my keyboard, I have a rack of keys that ends in f4, on the screen I have a rack of buttons that ends in f5, and I’m constantly hitting f4 when I intend to hit f5. I feel that a little gap would give me the subconscious cue to get it right without having to think about it.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Posted by: Dimes.6024

Dimes.6024

U know, u can rebind it, so it ll be not f5 no more

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Ohoni.6057

No, I want it f5, that’s the best place for it, I just want the visual UI to match the physical one.

done by now.”

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

my keyboard doesn’t have gaps. idk why the game should be adjusted for your keyboard only.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

(edited by choovanski.5462)

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Posted by: Kaizoku.1298

Kaizoku.1298

You better get used to Ctrl+5 instead of F5, I use c+1-5.

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Posted by: Explosia.9164

Explosia.9164

No, I want it f5, that’s the best place for it, I just want the visual UI to match the physical one.

I don’t want to adapt to new changes so whole game should change and be the way I want it to be.
FTFY.

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I agree with the OP, but not for something silly as a keyboard layout. A better reason is making it easier to read at a glance. I imagine most people don’t read the icons details directly when monitoring cooldowns, but instead go by orientation. After being conditioned to see the right most toolbelt belonging to my 9 kit, I get thrown off pretty regularly by confusing F4 and F5 and their related skills.

A simple separator or thick line divider adds enough of a point of reference to get that 1:1 layout similarity to the Utility bar, making it register faster, and reminds the viewer that its linked to the Elite skill.

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Ohoni.6057

I don’t want to adapt to new changes so whole game should change and be the way I want it to be.
FTFY.

No, I want it f5, that’s the best place for it, I just want the visual UI to match the physical one. FTFY.

done by now.”

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Ohoni.6057

my keyboard doesn’t have gaps. idk why the game should be adjusted for your keyboard only.

It’s a pretty universal hardware standard to have gaps between f4 and f5, and between f8 and f9. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a full sized keyboard without these gaps. If you don’t have the gaps, no harm done, at least it provides a visual separation between the normal and elite toolbelt skills.

done by now.”

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

No thanks, that’d look awkward to me. And the current setup is fine just takes some getting used to a 5th elite toolbelt skill. Just like any additional skill/tool.

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Posted by: Chairman Wang.5930

Chairman Wang.5930

Why not just unlock certain UI elements so people can customize it to how they see fit.

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

FTFY.

No, I want it f5, that’s the best place for it, I just want the visual UI to match the physical one. FTFY.

So you do not want actual QoL changes. You want dev time devoted to customizing the game to YOU and YOUR keyboard. QoL benefits everyone. Such as the ability to rebind keys. You are disingenuously trying to disguising you selfishness under some QoL need, when it helps no one but you.

Sham, shame on you.

Why not just unlock certain UI elements so people can customize it to how they see fit.

Because people use open UI elements to cheat.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

(edited by coglin.1867)

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Ohoni.6057

So you do not want actual QoL changes. You want dev time devoted to customizing the game to YOU and YOUR keyboard.

No, I want an actual QoL change that would involve developer time (hopefully not much of it) devoted to changing the game to fit the standard keyboard layout.

I truly cannot understand the hostility this seems to be generating. I mean, if you like it how it already is, I don’t see how if they changed it there would be any negative consequences for you.

Such as the ability to rebind keys. You are disingenuously trying to disguising you selfishness under some QoL need, when it helps no one but you.

Rebinding keys has nothing to do with anything. There is no key I would want it on other than f5, what I was asking for was a visual UI change to shift the 5th ability slightly apart from the original ones.

done by now.”

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

It’d look funny and trigger my OCD tendencies of UI management (which this UI already screws with enough). So that’s why it’d negatively affect me. I can see and respect why you want what you want, but it’s not globally better.

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Ohoni.6057

It’d look funny and trigger my OCD tendencies of UI management (which this UI already screws with enough). So that’s why it’d negatively affect me. I can see and respect why you want what you want, but it’s not globally better.

Well, I don’t think it’s possible to change any aspect of the game and have it not annoy somebody. That’s not a reasonable goal. I do think that it would help more players than it would hurt though. Keep in mind, they already split out the #3 and #4 skills if you are dual wielding, and the 5 and 6, and the 6 and 7, and the 9 and 0, so splitting out the f4 and f5 should not be a huge deal. Again, it:

• Conforms to standard keyboard layouts, which separate F4 and F5
  • Provides a visual separation between the “basic” toolkits and the “elite” toolkit, just as the 9-0 separation does.
  • Just as telephone numbers put separations every 3-4 numbers, putting gaps makes it easier to keep track of large numbers of things. 555-1234 is easier to process than 5551234, which is handy in combat.
done by now.”

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Rebinding keys has nothing to do with anything. There is no key I would want it on other than f5, what I was asking for was a visual UI change to shift the 5th ability slightly apart from the original ones.

Why? My keyboard is standard, and my F5 key is right next to my F4 key, So why would I want development time devoted to gapping them, when there is no gap in the keys on my keyboard?

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Ohoni.6057

Why? My keyboard is standard, and my F5 key is right next to my F4 key,

Then your keyboard is not standard.

So why would I want development time devoted to gapping them, when there is no gap in the keys on my keyboard?

But why would you oppose it, if it’s something that other players would benefit from?

done by now.”

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

coglin.1867

What expertise do you claim to hild, that autherizes you to demand to the community as to what is the standard key spacing of keys on a keyboard?

What proof do you have that it would improve the experience of the community? I do not see how taking dev time from important aspects, to change the UI to suit your particular keyboard, as serving the community. As I see it, it harms the community.

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

choovanski.5462

yall ever seen laptop or apple desktop computers? my laptop has no gap between the keys, and neither does my full size Apple keyboard. apple seems like a standard to me, considering how ubiquitous they are.

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Ohoni.6057

What expertise do you claim to hild, that autherizes you to demand to the community as to what is the standard key spacing of keys on a keyboard?

It’s industry standard, just Google image "standard keyboard layout, that’s what you get. I’m not inventing the wheel here.

What proof do you have that it would improve the experience of the community?

I have none, but I believe that it would. If necessary they could do some polling or something on it, but I see no reason to believe otherwise.

I do not see how taking dev time from important aspects, to change the UI to suit your particular keyboard, as serving the community.

You don’t know how much time it would take to implement, or what the developer tasked with it would be doing instead. I totally agree with you that it should not take away a significant amount of dev time, but if, as I beleive it to be, this is a relatively simple fix, I don’t see the harm.

Seriously though, the two reasonable responses to this suggestion are A. “That’s great, I’d love it,” and B. “I don’t really care about that, but whatever.” The C. “I am going to flip my freaking lid over the mere suggestion of this!,” I just can’t see where that could rationally be coming from.

yall ever seen laptop or apple desktop computers? my laptop has no gap between the keys, and neither does my full size Apple keyboard. apple seems like a standard to me, considering how ubiquitous they are.

Is the Apple executable out of beta yet? In any case, if your keyboard does not do this, it does not hurt you for them to implement this change. As I noted, there are already up to four gaps in the UI representing the 1-0 keys, and people seem to be just fine with that fact. If you have a non-standard keyboard then you can still use it just fine after this change, nothing should change for you aside from the UI.

done by now.”

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

choovanski.5462

I don’t know dude. the lack of a gap seems to effecting your play and your emotional state a lot. im worried about what introducing a gap might do to mine.

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Posted by: Dimes.6024

Dimes.6024

if you use 6-0 then you are noob and clicker, so nothing wil help you. dont blame ui, blame your hands

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

if you use 6-0 then you are noob and clicker, so nothing wil help you. dont blame ui, blame your hands

Or you have freakishly large or flexible hands. Paganini status.

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Ohoni.6057

I don’t know dude. the lack of a gap seems to effecting your play and your emotional state a lot. im worried about what introducing a gap might do to mine.

I don’t really see how.

done by now.”

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

coglin.1867

It’s industry standard, just Google image "standard keyboard layout, that’s what you get. I’m not inventing the wheel here.

Okay, I did precisely as you asked. This was the first image google provided.

Attachments:

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Ohoni.6057

No it wasn’t. You can do this, “standard keyboard layout” try again.

done by now.”

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

choovanski.5462

No it wasn’t. You can do this, “standard keyboard layout” try again.

dude. control your emotions. different countries have different google results.

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Posted by: Caesteris.7529

Caesteris.7529

This has to be one of the most nitpicky and utterly pointless “needs” I’ve seen in a long time. Also, this is not a QOL improvement. This is something you want. Specifically you. I can not imagine anyone else wanting this. Why would an on screen space between F4 and F5 be of any kind of assistance? You already know there is a physical space there, there is NO possibility of the keys surrounding that space being anything than F4 to the left and F5 to the right.

You should feel embarrassed to ask for this.

Simple Engi UI QoL

in Engineer

Posted by: Moderator.3204

Moderator.3204

Since the discussion in this thread has derailed and is no longer constructive this thread is now closed.