Slick Shoes - what did I do wrong?

in Engineer

Posted by: Eviator.9746

Eviator.9746

Q:

In this video (please excuse the quality, my computer cannot record well in 1080p) I used slick shoes hoping to knock down the sentry. He never got knocked down!!! Because he didn’t get knocked down he gave me a single stack of vulnerability, then stunned me.

So, what about my understanding of the mechanics of Slick Shoes is wrong, causing my plan to fail?

http://youtu.be/qOngymxV1uY

And how do you paste videos directly?

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)
Doing what I can for DB during EU primetime

in Engineer

Posted by: acedragonz.9387

acedragonz.9387

maybe a bug? I have no idea why he didn’t get cced either

in Engineer

Posted by: Mnemesis.8257

Mnemesis.8257

If you look closely at the video you can see that the areas of slick applied were jusssstttt shy of his footsteps. I think the last ones closest to him could have been dead animation? My suggestion here would be to keybind the turn around to “x” so that you can simply spin on the spot and lay a puddle of slick around you for melee. Ideally, I prefer to pull them to me and turn around to activate slick shoes so that they are dragged into a kd combo when you walk in circles to beat em with a wrench.

in Engineer

Eviator.9746

If you look closely at the video you can see that the areas of slick applied were jusssstttt shy of his footsteps. I think the last ones closest to him could have been dead animation? My suggestion here would be to keybind the turn around to “x” so that you can simply spin on the spot and lay a puddle of slick around you for melee. Ideally, I prefer to pull them to me and turn around to activate slick shoes so that they are dragged into a kd combo when you walk in circles to beat em with a wrench.

You could be right. I’ll try your turn-around suggestion. Unfortunately I’m a mouse-turner and turn-around doesn’t work so well with that, so its gonna take some time.

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)

in Engineer

Mnemesis.8257

You could be right. I’ll try your turn-around suggestion. Unfortunately I’m a mouse-turner and turn-around doesn’t work so well with that, so its gonna take some time.

If that is the case, then maybe you could try different patterns. In the case of the video you could have aggrod the mob and proceded to strafe backwards (imagine stitching a wound with slick shoes, that type of pattern) with slick shoes activated, which would cause them to walk directly into your pools and allow you to continue from there.

in Engineer

Posted by: MentalPause.9183

MentalPause.9183

In the video you had blindness on you the entire time, it may have something to do with that?

edit: nm I think that’s vulnerability like you said.

Fort Aspenwood WvW’er
Officer of Bloodwork [RED] http://bloodwork.boards.net/thread/145/interested-joining-red

in Engineer

Eviator.9746

In the video you had blindness on you the entire time, it may have something to do with that?

edit: nm I think that’s vulnerability like you said.

To be 100% sure I just went back and looked at the raw video (900×600 instead of 640×480) and verified that it is definitely vulnerability that I got.

It seemed to happen a few times more today. And it seems to always be against vets in WvW. A couple times I would slick shoes them and they would eventually knockdown a couple seconds later. It wasn’t particularly laggy, so I have no explanation for the delay. My main concern, of course, is that I would expect SS to do its thing while fighting another player, and that it wouldn’t.

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

In this video (please excuse the quality, my computer cannot record well in 1080p) I used slick shoes hoping to knock down the sentry. He never got knocked down!!! Because he didn’t get knocked down he gave me a single stack of vulnerability, then stunned me.

So, what about my understanding of the mechanics of Slick Shoes is wrong, causing my plan to fail?

http://youtu.be/qOngymxV1uY

And how do you paste videos directly?

Ughh. You did everything wrong. You clearly have no understanding of the intricacies of Slick Shoes.

Loljk, I don’t know. That’s messed up. I’ve got nothing. Nice vid.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I’m not sure that slick shoes will knock people down unless they move in the slick, but I’d have to test that to be sure.

In any case, it looks like you sort of coated it around him to begin with, and then at the end, it looked like it went a bit buggy… when he shield bashed you, he did some weird spin thing that looks like it made him come at you from where the slick wasn’t, although he was almost point blank anyways.

You should maybe try running through him next time instead of running around him. If you have that melee assist thing on, just turn that off, it’s not very useful anyways (you just let yourself be body-blocked by enemies).

in Engineer

Eviator.9746

You should maybe try running through him next time instead of running around him. If you have that melee assist thing on, just turn that off, it’s not very useful anyways (you just let yourself be body-blocked by enemies).

I do indeed, thanks for the tip.

in Engineer

Mnemesis.8257

I do indeed, thanks for the tip.

If at the end of it all, that still provides issues for you, try rocketing towards your target with slick shoes activated and the line of oil you shoot should trap the npc for a couple seconds. Also effective for kitten ing off zergs.

in Engineer

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

It seemed like you just barely missed him and my guess is the remainder PROBABLY were dead animation or he sat on top of the remainder and didnt move.

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

in Engineer

Posted by: Benji.9203

Benji.9203

The same thing happened to me earlier today. I realized that in order for the target to be knocked down they actually have to “move” in the slick shoe trail. If you stand still you don’t get cced.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter. The opponent can choose to stand there and die or fall down repeatedly and die.