Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Title.

Amazing elite, lots of utility in PvP/WvW, horrible pathing. The thing doesn’t even want to go up/down stairs half the time and it can fly for godsake. When I play my Ranger my pet keeps up with me easily. Often times it’ll even run ahead of me. The Gyro should be moving at a similar pace to Ranger pets not constantly lagging way behind and getting stuck on blades of grass. Honestly it’s the only thing holding it back from being the best elite (at least IMO).

Would really love if the dev’s would look in to improving this because it’s gotten me screwed more than a few times when it just randomly decides to stop and smell the roses while I have an angry mob after me.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: Destabilizator.2789

Destabilizator.2789

Yeah, I was like “let’s have gyro for sneaking around to noxious pods”, after few meters I was like “this is not gonna cook”…
I tought maybe the swiftness is making me too fast for it, but nah. It’s utterly unusable without standing still.

Tbh they should just make it so it turns you into mobile invis field and the gyro is there just as target.

Vertor et revertor.

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Gonna quote part of MetaBattle to show why this isn’t necessarily a bad thing:

Unlike some other minions and pets, Sneak Gyro Sneak Gyro will not teleport to your position when traversing difficult terrain. You can use this to your advantage when trying to escape in some situations; jumping off of ledges or across gaps will cause your Gyro to attempt to find a different path to follow you, which can lead opponents to believe you are still within its radius.

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: Waylander.2103

Waylander.2103

Unlike some other minions and pets, Sneak Gyro Sneak Gyro will not teleport to your position when traversing difficult terrain. You can use this to your advantage when trying to escape in some situations; jumping off of ledges or across gaps will cause your Gyro to attempt to find a different path to follow you, which can lead opponents to believe you are still within its radius.

This saved me so many times in wvw and it’s pretty funny to watch people follow the gyro while you escape in the opposite direction.

[GoE] Way – Smallscale and Roaming on Riverside [DE]

YT Channel

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Dahkeus.8243

Yea, the key to being good at playing stealth in PvP is being unpredictable. As a former thief main, I’m in awe of how good Sneak Gyro is for PvP. It’s like SR on steroids.

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: Wander.5780

Wander.5780

I feel like the AI is too unpredictable to be reliant on it in any regard. I cant speak for pvp but in pve it is terrible… you’re better off using toss Elixir S for reliable stealth.

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: Druitt.7629

Druitt.7629

I mentioned it in another thread — and haven’t had a chance to double-check it — but as I remember the Sneak Gyro applies pulses every three seconds that last for four seconds. If you are able to spend a couple of pulses moving slowly or not at all, that gives you a buffer for it to catch up. On flat-ish ground.

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

throws a pebble @ ANet’s window
Hey ANet, could you perhaps change the pathing from ground-based to airborne? Pretty please? As much as I like this little devil, it keeps driving me nuts too often.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: Twigifire.8379

Twigifire.8379

Yea, the key to being good at playing stealth in PvP is being unpredictable. As a former thief main, I’m in awe of how good Sneak Gyro is for PvP. It’s like SR on steroids.

It’s broken in multiple ways

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

I feel like the AI is too unpredictable to be reliant on it in any regard. I cant speak for pvp but in pve it is terrible… you’re better off using toss Elixir S for reliable stealth.

I feel that’s a tremendous exaggeration. X)

Sneak Gyro can be a bit clunky, but when you know how it functions, you can still rely on it. It could most certainly be improved, but its behavior doesn’t render it useless, especially in PvE.

The class is always greener on the other side.

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

That’s an interesting strategy that I’ll have to try.

Still, it doesn’t change the fact that it at least needs to move faster and not get stuck on minor terrain obstacles.

It’s fine if it has to take a different route to go down a ledge much like Ranger pets or Necromancer minions (etc.) do but otherwise it still feels too clunky. Like trying to walk your A.D.D. dog down the street while it stops every 8 and a half feet to smell a pebble, a shoe, a tree and so on…

On a more positive note however, it does wonders for commanding in WvW. Being able to pop it to alleviate pressure on you while you recover or just to go in head first unseen is extremely helpful. The short cooldown also makes it feel less wasteful if it gets killed quickly.

Again, amazing elite with a lot of applications, just wish it was a bit faster and less clunky.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Dahkeus.8243

(rubs temples)

Sometimes posts here just make my head hurt…

Anyways, would it be nice if it moved faster? Yea. I’d love if I didn’t have to wait for it when I had swiftness. However, I’m not sure it needs to be faster. It still easily merits the elite slot on a profession that the best selection of elite skills (especially in PvP), which says something.

Considering that it’s also sometimes beneficial to run out of the radius of the gyro to avoid attacks, it’s not always that bad that it’s slower than you.

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: Dei Veien.2456

Dei Veien.2456

I am in love with this gyro. There have been a few times where I have spawned it and it has flown off in a random direction (not even kidding it took off after an enemy straight after being spawned) but for the most part I love jumping out of towers and watching as enemies stay there and attack my gyro while I am watching from a nice safe distance

Order of Intoxication [PSY]

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

well in pvp with a simple pathway (from the outdoor of the base to the mid point on foefire) i’m constantly out of his area (i don’t even have swiftness)

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: Twigifire.8379

Twigifire.8379

(rubs temples)

Sometimes posts here just make my head hurt…

Anyways, would it be nice if it moved faster? Yea. I’d love if I didn’t have to wait for it when I had swiftness. However, I’m not sure it needs to be faster. It still easily merits the elite slot on a profession that the best selection of elite skills (especially in PvP), which says something.

Considering that it’s also sometimes beneficial to run out of the radius of the gyro to avoid attacks, it’s not always that bad that it’s slower than you.

I don’t know why you’re rubbing your temples. I was agreeing with what you said as well as the others in the thread xD

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

If it followed you too closely, then it’d be really easy to just aoe the gyro and defeating the purpose. The erratic movement is intentional. But that’s no excuse for bad pathing though.

On the other hand, since I assume a good deal of us run mecha legs/streamlined kits, that it is just not fast enough to catch up.

Anyhow, I think it’s a great elite, and does a decent job of keeping me hidden in pve and wvw. However, using it to stealth other people is very unreliable. Especially true in PvE where I’m usually also using Rocket boots to bypass things.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Sneak Gyro pathing sucks

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

For pve he’s awesome, you just have to know when to move and when to wait for him. Like when you spawn him run 1 sec, wait 1 sec and then gooooooo

But I agree, gyros in general need to be able to go up and down small cliffs. Like if they are further away than their radius in range they should follow you like they were on a leash.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”