Sniper Rifles - Held at Shoulder Height

in Engineer

Posted by: Caatalyst.7289

Caatalyst.7289

Hi Everyone,

Does anybody think that it would be great if Arenanet adjusted the aiming position for all scope / sniper style rifles to shoulder height? I love the sniper rifles in this game and I would make the combat feel much more immersive. I think this is especially important considering the rifle legendary is a sniper rifle.

Alternatively we could shoot from hip height when moving and when stationary aim from the shoulder height?

I can’t imagine this is too much of a pain to implement and I really think it would make a huge difference to rifle combat. What does everyone else think?

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

That’s how Warrior rifles work. The Engineer is really more of a Shotgunner, they just didn’t make a Shotgun type of weapon.

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Well you can technically fire shot thru a rifled barrel, and the range would be silly short, so it kinda makes sense.

in Engineer

Posted by: Warjin.8942

Warjin.8942

I never like the rifle on a Eng, hip shot look dumb IMO, and the self CC is a joke , I also hate that jump charge, why on earth does a Eng want to get in you face, if anything that skill seems more Warrior like, they should swap the Warrior rifle butt with the Eng. jump charge, this will be great to help Warriors close the gap to swap back to melee if they want and help the Eng stay ranged.

in Engineer

Caatalyst.7289

Yeah I appreciate that there is much debate about the engineers rifle abilities. I personally much prefer using pistols.

The engineers rifle abilities don’t feel very damage orientated and instead quite clunky to operate. They are all focused around close range encounters and that to me seems more like what the warrior should be equipped with.

But back to the main point of the thread…

I appreciate that the warrior shoots from shoulder height. But it would be much more visually appealing to hold the rifle according to the rifle type. A large bodied shotgun style rifle at hip height and a sniper rifle at shoulder height.

It really takes the edge off using sniper rifles when they are held at hip height. I’m working towards getting my legendary sniper rifle as I much prefer its appearence over the legendary pistol. But if we are using guns in a game we want the satisfaction of that gun right? Especially when it’s the best one in the game. Holding a sniper rifle at hip height looks silly.

I think it would be better to get feedback off people who are actually playing as engineers and have a good feel for this rather than non-engineers commenting on things they’ve read.

in Engineer

Caatalyst.7289

Please Arenanet! Let us Engineers enjoy the shoulder height visuals for sniper rifles!

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Schixeno.8596

Schixeno.8596

I’ve always thought of rifle engineers as the Tyrian equivalent of a modern shotgun user.

Skill #1 is sort of like a shotgun slug (which can be accurate up to 100 yards), while #3 and #4 are buckshot shells for close range combat.

in Engineer

Caatalyst.7289

Attack moves 3,4 and 5 requires quite a lot of work to get right in battle. It makes rifles less appealing and feel clunky in my opinion. We can talk about references to shotguns all day, but at the end of the day there isn’t a single shotgun skin in the game.

A big part of the pleasure of playing Guild Wars is the visual detail and animation elements. Simply making the sniper rifle ‘feel’ like a sniper rifle in combat would make a huge difference. Especially considering this is the legendary we Engineers are all working towards.

in Engineer

Schixeno.8596

Well, most of the basic skins for rifles (you know, the models for the ones that go from level 1-60) have big barrels and resemble an exaggerated blunderbuss.

However, I do agree that each skin should have some unique flavour to it, more than just on a visual standpoint. It’d be amazing if each gun could have its own animation and hell, even unique sounds.

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Attack moves 3,4 and 5 requires quite a lot of work to get right in battle. It makes rifles less appealing and feel clunky in my opinion. We can talk about references to shotguns all day, but at the end of the day there isn’t a single shotgun skin in the game.

The lower rarity skins look like a blunderbuss tho.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blunderbuss

in Engineer

Posted by: Hill.5107

Hill.5107

We can talk about references to shotguns all day, but at the end of the day there isn’t a single shotgun skin in the game.

err? Pearl Blunderboss? Pirate Boomstick? (note: exotic/rare item here). You can view most if not all rifle skins here: http://dulfy.net/2013/01/31/gw2-rifle-skins-gallery/#34
There are plenty of shotgun looking skins in the game.

Caatalyst do have a point though in reference to the Predator (legendary rifle), it IS a sniper rifle, and thus a sniper rifle skin. And as good (awesome!) as the rifle looks, it just seems wrong to be firing it from the hip.
And as someone else mentioned, the pistol isn’t as good as the rifle (try listing/seeing the gun in action and ..well.. bad).

Regards
Hill

(edited by Hill.5107)

in Engineer

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

well…“Pact Shotgun”

in Engineer

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I think they (ANet) just got mixed up. The Warriors rifle skills should have been the Engies and vice versa…alas.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

in Engineer

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

The lower rarity skins look like a blunderbuss tho.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blunderbuss

Most of the real blunderbusses could fire either either / or…solid shot vs multiple shot.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

in Engineer

Caatalyst.7289

A blunderbuss from my understanding is still a rifle. A shotgun is a much more modern type of weapon.

But despite having negative feelings towards the ‘shotgun’ style clunky combat moves that the engineer has this is going off topic and not why I started the thread.

My point is that it would be great if Anet would change the sniper rifle animation so that it is fired from the shoulders rather than the hip. Even if it was just for the legendary.

I think the fact that the legendary is a sniper rifle provides all the more reason to take this into consideration.

It can’t be that hard to implement given that all player models already have the shoulder shooting animation available.

Alternatively Anet could add in a function for ‘hip shot’ much like those available for functions 6 – 10 on the HUD. There is a small arrow which you can select to change utilities and elixers.

This arrow could also be available for ‘Hip Shot’ and instead we can could select ‘shoulder shot’ or ‘precision shot’ to change the animation as we desire.

We could even go further and suggest that shoulder shot provides slightly less damage but increased range or include / remove a condition effect.

The one thing I love about Guild Wars is the amount of customisation. From creating your character to choosing the colour of your outfit.

Making this adjustment could simply be another way to add customisation and make the game more enjoyable.

Please Arenanet! Hear our cries!

in Engineer

Schixeno.8596

Blunderbusses aren’t rifles at all. Rifles are firearms that have rifling inside the barrel to maintain stability of the projectile when released. Blunderbusses don’t have rifling. If anything, blunderbusses are predecessors of shotguns.

I still support this idea however, just wanted to get that straight. At the very least this can serve as a bump.

(edited by Schixeno.8596)

in Engineer

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

In my humble opinion, I could care less about what they call it, rifle, shotgun, boomstick, wooden lead projectile, as long as the moveset is good, and seriously, our rifle 5set is ten times better overall than what the Warrior rifle set offers, aside from auto-attack.

JMO.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Caatalyst.7289

Is it worth moving this thread to the ‘suggestions’ section? Or do the admin / devs monitor this forum too?

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

In theory, they monitor this forum, too. They don’t say much, if they’re there.

There’s probably a couple dozen threads about exactly this on the Suggestion board, though, so there’s not much point adding it to it. I know there’s been a few threads about this on this board, for that matter, so it’s not like it’s a new thing for people to want changed.