Some 1 explain THE ENGINEER to me lol. really lost

in Engineer

Posted by: Lordryux.9785

Lordryux.9785

as my topic says im pretty dang lost with this class tbh i tried it at the mists just to see u kno like the skills and stuff how much damage they do and it was pretty cool how they have this much to use and have access to im currently looking for a well rounded class for both pve and pvp comming from mesmer i really dnt like how it is in pve atm its really boring and barely any damage output even glass cannon i still felt like i did nothing in events but still tagged mobs so i turned to one of my engineer friends and he said it was pretty fun class and he mains it so i thought id try it out if some 1 can explain which weapon sets to lvl up aswell as a build to go with when i get into my traits at 11 would help a bit. the only really problem i had was with the grenade kit HOW do u even move when using ur skills xD or do u not move? idk but it was pretty kitten hard xD

in Engineer

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

Arg! My Eyes!

15char…

in Engineer

Posted by: jukkou.5102

jukkou.5102

Well the beautiful thing about the engineer profession is the versatility and viability of each ‘set-up’ you use. I personally roam around at level 80 with a rifle (shotgun, in reality), grenades, bomb kit, and I leave my last utility open depending on what I feel like doing. That set up may or may not work for you.

What I do suggest doing is trying out every weapon to see what clicks for you. I absolutely hated rifles until I played around with one with grenades at level 80. Until then I was whipping out my pistol and flamethrower putting conditions on everything in sight.

In terms of a build, adjust what you put your traits into based on what you enjoy doing. I think following someone else’s build as an engineer takes away from your experience rather than adding to it. However, sometimes looking at other builds opens your eyes to options that you never even considered.

In reference to your complaint with grenades, I personally can move and fight with them. It took a lot of practice but I use them in all my builds. And not just for the grenade barrage aspect of them; they’re excellent for CC.

Enjoy your engineer!

in Engineer

Posted by: Lyuben.2613

Lyuben.2613

I’ll be blunt.

Avoid turrets.
Avoid gadgets.

As good as they can be in extreme niché builds, the potential of elixirs in utility and support, is just so much better.

Same with kits. A single kit can offer a lot more than any turret or gadget.

That should be your basis for an engineer.

In terms of damage, your options are either elixir gun and pistol/shield and pistol/pistol, for conditions.

And for direct damage, go with rifle and grenade kit/flamethrower.

That’s the general tips I can give.

Vibor Bauman- Level 80 Engineer- Gandara

in Engineer

Posted by: Lifeson.4352

Lifeson.4352

A good tip i picked up for the grenades is to bind A and D to strafe (assuming you bind Q and E to skills and you aren’t a keyboard-turner). Also turn on fast cast targeting in the options.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dice Dragon.4326

Dice Dragon.4326

I’ll be blunt.

Avoid turrets.
Avoid gadgets.

As good as they can be in extreme niché builds, the potential of elixirs in utility and support, is just so much better.

In terms of damage, your options are either elixir gun and pistol/shield and pistol/pistol, for conditions.

Gadgets have good toolbelt skills.

Rocket kick(rocketboots)→Good damage and a 5 second burn on a 20second base CD, which can be lowered with tools.

Anylzye(goggles)→10% more damage is pretty dang good imo.

Launch PBR→This skill has such a low CD and decent damage its a surprise its never used tbh.

Mine field(mines)→AoE bombs waiting to be set off.

You can run a rifle/gadget set up, that with Static shock, that can let you really destroy mobs.

Sadly, Grenades are op as heck. And Gadgets while being pretty cool under certain set ups, are really niche.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lyuben.2613

Lyuben.2613

I’ll be blunt.

Avoid turrets.
Avoid gadgets.

Gadgets have good toolbelt skills.

Rocket kick(rocketboots)->Good damage and a 5 second burn on a 20second base CD, which can be lowered with tools.

Anylzye(goggles)->10% more damage is pretty dang good imo.

Launch PBR->This skill has such a low CD and decent damage its a surprise its never used tbh.

Mine field(mines)->AoE bombs waiting to be set off.

You can run a rifle/gadget set up, that with Static shock, that can let you really destroy mobs.

Sadly, Grenades are op as heck. And Gadgets while being pretty cool under certain set ups, are really niche.

The problem with gadgets is, you can often find their desired effects within elixirs, and within kits.

And since elixirs and kits can be traited and are capable of so much more, they are better to pick.

Want a stun breaker? Why go utility goggles?

Go for elixir S, trait it so that it is shorter cooldown, removes conditions and gives might.
Want a knockback?
Go for the flamethrower. 15s cooldown on air blast as opposed to the 45s cooldown on PBRs launch.

Gadgets only really work in extreme niché builds. Never in general builds. They are simply eclipsed by traited elixirs, and kits.

Vibor Bauman- Level 80 Engineer- Gandara

in Engineer

Posted by: Nepocrates.3642

Nepocrates.3642

If you ask 10 eng what to do you will get at least 15 answers. For me I ran around with rifle and gadgets and I did that at 80 for the CC. I then switch to pistol and shield and changed out my build.

I use grenade gadgets and turrets now and I am having a blast literary.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I disagree entirely on avoiding turrets. I leveled 1-80 on a full belt of them, no prob. World events no prob. Instances no prob. Be smart on placement and you can get full uptime on them.

I don’t run them in sPVP but in WvW I do. 3 turrets + elixir U. I have no probs with 1v1 fights and sometimes even 1v2s.

Turrets are niche… It just happens that their niche covers 90% of the situations you will encounter in the game.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sundial.9015

Sundial.9015

Can you please separate your post into sentences instead of just a big wall of unorganized thoughts?

As it stands I can’t help you because even looking at what you wrote is giving me a migraine.

Sundial, Necromancer – Aurora Catulus, Engineer – Kaine Illuma, Elementalist
WvW Captain – Horde of Miscreations, Borlis Pass Alliance