Sorry but...

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: Churick.9354

Churick.9354

Engie is tooo much fun. There isnt any situation where I find icant contribute in WvW. Thats my experience and just wanted to chime in as a pro bagotrix enthusiast. I also never seem to be mashing 2 buttons for win. Hmm, that is all. Kk thx bye.

Feegz – Aurora Glade – Asura Engineer

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: Boss.3876

Boss.3876

Unsure if sarcastic.

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Churick.9354

Sry. Fair point having read it back. Not sarcasm, genuine opinion

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

must ve confused engineer with thief, However engineers cant contribute other than by killing roaming players as our Only ranged AoE is the grenades wich have terribly small radius compared to others’s ranged attacks when attempting to capture keeps or what not.

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: GoNeKrAzY.7308

GoNeKrAzY.7308

@ rezzet. Try a tankcat variant. You’d be surprised how viable an engy can be in wvwvw.
Usually takes around 8-10 people to kill me( that too if im distracted). I just keep trolling zergs. And they get mad that i aint dying easy so they chase me. I usually lead them into a friendly zerg or one that belongs to the 3rd server. Its ridiculous fun

[TEO] Sigurd Hsring
Gunnar’s Hold
Probably the Only Existing Neon Norn Engineer

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Churick.9354

Mmm, having played many other classes to 80 pretty much exclusively in wvwvw I find the engie to be very versatile. Yes roaming is awesome. ZERG is fun times also. I dont run grenades.

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

@ rezzet. Try a tankcat variant. You’d be surprised how viable an engy can be in wvwvw.
Usually takes around 8-10 people to kill me( that too if im distracted). I just keep trolling zergs. And they get mad that i aint dying easy so they chase me. I usually lead them into a friendly zerg or one that belongs to the 3rd server. Its ridiculous fun

thats not what i mean my elixir build is great it usually requires 8+ players to down me
( i usually down them with patience lol) my only issue is when we go capture keeps and towers i cant contribute much as grenades are my only viable option and its not much since it has small radius .

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

must ve confused engineer with thief, However engineers cant contribute other than by killing roaming players as our Only ranged AoE is the grenades wich have terribly small radius compared to others’s ranged attacks when attempting to capture keeps or what not.

I love when poster falsely claim the engineer cannot do things that the rest of the community does on their engineers every day.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

I love when poster falsely claim the engineer cannot do things that the rest of the community does on their engineers every day.

im not saying we cant but you cant compare grenades to the massive radius Eles and Rangers have nor the Mesmer clones you can simply warp into walls .

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: Choops.3710

Choops.3710

Can we have one post where someone says they enjoyed playing their engi without someone telling him that he’s wrong?

Pikachoops – Engineer, Fort Aspenwood

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: blurps.2340

blurps.2340

im not saying we cant but you cant compare grenades to the massive radius Eles and Rangers have nor the Mesmer clones you can simply warp into walls .

Grenade radius is fine, travel time is the issue.

Sorry but...

in Engineer

coglin.1496

Yeah, you actually very literally said we can’t, as a matter of fact

.You do not need ranged at all to kill players. But I do agree that when compared to those professions, our AoE benefits are not in balance with them. Perhaps up comming “case by case” AoE adjustments will help line that out a bit.

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: masterdesh.8943

masterdesh.8943

@choops its probably wont happen as most people have a love hate relationship with their engis

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

I’d suggest raising the Grenade AoE radius to that of the Freeze Grenade as well, but they have plans to nerf AoE in the up and coming patches. The AoE changes that are incoming will likely smooth these things out a fair bit. Grenade inaccuracy is kind of a thing I’ve just accepted. I just wish in this case the Flash Grenades had something like Boon Removal in addition to their Blind, and the Shrapnel Grenades dropped two stacks of 6s bleeds rather then a single 12s bleed in order to compensate for some of that inaccuracy. Poison Grenades are already very strong as is, and Freeze Grenades already have the boosted radius.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

OP – if you haven’t been mashing 2 buttons over and over, then you really haven’t played the grenade kit recently or the rifle.

• I love it when a poster claims there’s nothing wrong with the engineer class and that we’re all just “perceiving” that it’s not on par or as elegant as the other class designs, notably our sister adventurer classes.
Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Sorry but...

in Engineer

coglin.1496

• I love it when a poster claims there’s nothing wrong with the engineer class and that we’re all just “perceiving” that it’s not on par or as elegant as the other class designs, notably our sister adventurer classes.

This coming from the poster who just said if your not mashing the same two button, that your playing the rifle wrong. If you think that is how you use the rifle, then You really havn’t played an engineer.

(edited by coglin.1496)

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

OP – if you haven’t been mashing 2 buttons over and over, then you really haven’t played the grenade kit recently or the rifle.

I’m confused about the point you’re making. Are you saying that the Engineer is too simple? And then are you ending it with saying a ranger is more elegant than an engineer? Really?

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I’m confused about the point you’re making. Are you saying that the Engineer is too simple? And then are you ending it with saying a ranger is more elegant than an engineer? Really?

The weapons certainly are a little simple in some cases and a little too complex in others.

Okay yes I was a little confusing. Rifle is a terrible setup, they should have never had a netshot in the setup we needed a multishot ability like the longbow and the warrior rifle. Second, all anyone has to do is compare the minor traits in the dps lines of all three adventurer classes to see how rangers and thieves have an elegance which means their dps abilities work together in harmony over multiple abilities and builds as well as multiple weapon types. That’s what I meant by elegance. Clear it up for everyone?

@ Coglin

Explain how someone who claims everything is working perfectly on this class can spend so much time in the forums trying to thwart us “evildoers” from getting the devs to realize just how this class if filled with holes in it’s design. If it were working perfectly why hang out all day in the forums go prove us all wrong, go finish the dungeons on the monthly in a pug group, or are you afraid what we’re saying is true which usually leads to someone booting the engineer out of the dungeon group? hmm?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

The engineer is not elegant.

He is not quick.

He is not strong.

He has no great magic powers.

He is not a sniper.

He doesn’t use guns with much proficiency.

He is the underdog, by any means.

But the latin motto says “Cave canem”, beware of the dog.

For this guy could mess you up when you least expect it. He can shake off the deadliest knife, or recover from the most vitious of wounds.

That’s how I play the engineer: he is the guy no one cares about, who has to show the world what he is made of. You wouldn’t bet a nickle on him at first sight, but he’ll do amazing things.

Engineer is just the guy with tools and determination. He doesn’t need anything else.

(But yeah, I’d really love to see some changes. But I’ll always play the engineer… I love this guy!)

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Choops.3710

The engineer is not elegant.

He is not quick.

He is not strong.

He has no great magic powers.

He is not a sniper.

He doesn’t use guns with much proficiency.

He is the underdog, by any means.

But the latin motto says “Cave canem”, beware of the dog.

For this guy could mess you up when you least expect it. He can shake off the deadliest knife, or recover from the most vitious of wounds.

That’s how I play the engineer: he is the guy no one cares about, who has to show the world what he is made of. You wouldn’t bet a nickle on him at first sight, but he’ll do amazing things.

Engineer is just the guy with tools and determination. He doesn’t need anything else.

(But yeah, I’d really love to see some changes. But I’ll always play the engineer… I love this guy!)

put 10 points into tools man! then you’ll be quick but I think we can all agree, we love this class, warts and all. I’ve been playing engi for too long, I can’t do anything else

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: Daigle.8497

Daigle.8497

Everyone roots for the underdog, but nobody bets on him.

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

The weapons certainly are a little simple in some cases and a little too complex in others.

Okay yes I was a little confusing. Rifle is a terrible setup, they should have never had a netshot in the setup we needed a multishot ability like the longbow and the warrior rifle. Second, all anyone has to do is compare the minor traits in the dps lines of all three adventurer classes to see how rangers and thieves have an elegance which means their dps abilities work together in harmony over multiple abilities and builds as well as multiple weapon types. That’s what I meant by elegance. Clear it up for everyone?

@ Coglin

Explain how someone who claims everything is working perfectly on this class can spend so much time in the forums trying to thwart us “evildoers” from getting the devs to realize just how this class if filled with holes in it’s design. If it were working perfectly why hang out all day in the forums go prove us all wrong, go finish the dungeons on the monthly in a pug group, or are you afraid what we’re saying is true which usually leads to someone booting the engineer out of the dungeon group? hmm?

1 – Accept that Rifle works like a Shotgun and is more effective when used like a shotgun. We are already blessed to be given 1,000 range for Hip Shot and Net shot is a very good support skill. Engineers are perfectly fine when fighting CQC (100~700 range) and that’s the very description Anet gave for engineers.

2 – You find playing an engineer simple because you stay in your rifle and grenade kit. Try juggling between different kits and learn playing with combo fields.

3 – Engineer is broken, but not as broken as many people claim that we are. We are hated and avoided in dungeons because people like you made a generalization that engineers are completely broken which became a “fact” for those people who are playing other classes. You will find people who love to have engineers in their parties because they know what the class can do.

4 – I’m not claiming that the engineer class is perfectly fine, what I’m trying to say is that it’s not as broken as people claim it to be. You should be happy that there are people like OP who realized that the engineer class is not as broken as people claim it to be. There are many people who claim that the class is broken even though they’ve never played an engineer simply because simple minded engineers themselves claim that we are broken to boot. We need more people like him to remove the status quo.

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Engi is super fun, I can wait for buffs as long as it stays this fun

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: Manticore Five.9867

Manticore Five.9867

I love how “not pressing two buttons” is always the last refuge of the scoundrel. Does pressing five buttons for an inferior result make you a better player, or just inflate the ego? Does pointlessly swapping kits every five seconds suddenly make you more hardcore than a warrior pressing his signet of rage every 48(traited) and getting might/fury with their serving of swiftness?

Does pressing buttons merely for the sake of pressing buttons increase your gold, make you hit harder, make you die less, or just does it just pump the ego because you need it after witnessing some other class contribute more with less effort?

If one actually got a superior result by pushing nine buttons instead of 2, then one could point to the result and not have to mention the buttons, but every time… EVERY time someone breaks out the “push x buttons to win” conceit, they most curiously leave out what they accomplish with their more buttons.

P.S. Being able to “contribute” is an incredibly low bar to meet. Being effective is a whole nother animal.

@tigirius: It’s probably even simpler then that. True believers have always wanted to hound the heretics, that instinct never changes. It takes a lot of twisting to explain why supposedly obviously untrue statements threaten the faithful, but someone always manages to find a way to justify breaking out the torches.

(edited by Manticore Five.9867)

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

Can we have one post where someone says they enjoyed playing their engi without someone telling him that he’s wrong?

only when someone posts about how much engie sucks without a rebuttal from those of us who know better.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

(edited by nakoda.4213)

Sorry but...

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

OP - if you haven’t been mashing 2 buttons over and over, then you really haven’t played the grenade kit recently or the rifle.

* I love it when a poster claims there’s nothing wrong with the engineer class and that we’re all just "perceiving" that it’s not on par or as elegant as the other class designs, notably our sister adventurer classes.

actually, it explicitly says that he "never seems to be mashing two buttons" (paraphrase)

I think you need to go back to your three R’s.

here’s the quote:

I also never seem to be mashing 2 buttons for win.

(edited by nakoda.4213)

Sorry but...

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

I love how "not pressing two buttons" is always the last refuge of the scoundrel. Does pressing five buttons for an inferior result make you a better player {1} , or just inflate the ego? Does pointlessly swapping kits every five seconds {2} suddenly make you more hardcore than a warrior {3} pressing his signet of rage every 48(traited) and getting might/fury with their serving of swiftness?

@ {1} yes it does, and if you’d pay a little more attention you’d know the results are not inferior, something you’d recognize if you knew that...
@ {2} it’s not so pointless when swapping kits is how you create the situations that make your engie blow things up, it’s called stance dancing (kit swapping, I suppose, if you want to stay game specific). learn it....
@ {3} yes ... it does. in fact, if you hop over to the warrior forum, you’ll find a thread discussing this very problem, how all the warriors relying on virgin launch builds are no longer OP.

actually, here is the link since I know you don’t follow up yourself before replying...

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/warrior/This-is-why-your-WARRIOR-isn-t-good-Part-1/page/2#post1359053

cheers m8.

(edited by nakoda.4213)

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Okay yes I was a little confusing. Rifle is a terrible setup, they should have never had a netshot in the setup we needed a multishot ability like the longbow and the warrior rifle.

Ha, what!

The Warrior’s Rifle is a fun damage-dealing weapon, but I’ll prefer taking Net Shot’s snare and Overcharged Shot’s CC removal any day of the week.

Second, all anyone has to do is compare the minor traits in the dps lines of all three adventurer classes to see how rangers and thieves have an elegance which means their dps abilities work together in harmony over multiple abilities and builds as well as multiple weapon types. That’s what I meant by elegance. Clear it up for everyone?

For example…?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

I love how “not pressing two buttons” is always the last refuge of the scoundrel. Does pressing five buttons for an inferior result make you a better player, or just inflate the ego? Does pointlessly swapping kits every five seconds suddenly make you more hardcore than a warrior pressing his signet of rage every 48(traited) and getting might/fury with their serving of swiftness?

And I find the Warrior dreadfully boring. I find the Engineer’s complexity a more stimulating experience. Is there something wrong with that?

If one actually got a superior result by pushing nine buttons instead of 2, then one could point to the result and not have to mention the buttons, but every time… EVERY time someone breaks out the “push x buttons to win” conceit, they most curiously leave out what they accomplish with their more buttons.

I think it would be obvious that by pressing “more buttons” with kits we have more skills at our disposal; i.e., the Elixir Gun properly traited offers 3 party condition removals all in one utility slot.

More buttons = superior result.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: Manticore Five.9867

Manticore Five.9867

More buttons CAN mean a superior result, if they’re the RIGHT buttons.

My statement was against fetishizing more buttons for the sake of more buttons.

As you have already quoted, if you get a better result, you point to the better result and you don’t need to boast about how many buttons you hit for that result. It’s only when you’re covering up for the lack of results does one feel the need to mention how many one pushed, and that attitude certainly isn’t confined to the engineer threads, although it does tend to be concentrated among those classes that have more lack of result to explain away.

(edited by Manticore Five.9867)

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

My statement was against fetishizing more buttons for the sake of more buttons.

Who cares?

Again, some people—like myself—enjoy complexity. I did level up and gear a Guardian alongside my Engineer, which is a far more simple class by comparison. And I got bored a lot of the time leveling it because my only change when getting to level 80 was generally what weapon I used. Though I’m not logged in to find the raw numbers, I’m sure that the hours spent on my Engineer compared to my Guardian is pretty staggering. The highest I’ve leveled a Warrior was into the early 20s. Never touched it again and deleted it in favor of playing another class.

Some people like the aesthetic that the Engineer has a variety of kits with buttons to press. I don’t see why you should be wasting your time crushing others’ fun. There’s a real honest question being asked in this statement that I think you need to address for yourself:

Can we? Some people actually like consistently pressing more than 1-5 when playing Guild Wars 2. Don’t really see the problem here.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Churick.9354

Oh dear what haz I started! I was really just saying that im enjoying my engie immensly. Always something to do. Yes perhaps there are surer ways to achieve certain outcomes but I haven’t found any that are quite as hilarious…especially when it goes wrong.My especially fun ridden activity is running into the Zergs back lines planting big ole bomb while hiding under shield 5.Once BoB has gone off I start running towards our frontline detonating shield 4, knocking moar folks over with FT 3 and then “emptying my pockets” to try and get away. TOTAL carnage and sometimes I even get away. This is one of many varieties of horseplay available. Bouncing and burning thieves left right and centre is also a fond pastime Tl; Dr – I have fun

(edited by Churick.9354)

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: Daigle.8497

Daigle.8497

oh god.

If they implement HALF of what those warriors in that thread want, I’m quitting GW entirely.

Sorry but...

in Engineer

coglin.1496

Are you afraid what we’re saying is true which usually leads to someone booting the engineer out of the dungeon group? hmm?

Weird, in my experience they only boot badly played engineers. If your being booted from dungeons, perhaps it is not solely based on the profession.

1 – Accept that Rifle works like a Shotgun and is more effective when used like a shotgun. We are already blessed to be given 1,000 range for Hip Shot and Net shot is a very good support skill. Engineers are perfectly fine when fighting CQC (100~700 range) and that’s the very description Anet gave for engineers.

Except that it doesn’t work like a shot gun. # 1 skill is not shotgun like at all. #2 is not shotgun like in the least. #4 is the same effect as warriors #5 skill, does that make warrior rifle a shot gun? #5 Jump shot is not any more shot gun then rifle.

We have 2 closer ranged skills and 1 is precisely like the warriors close range skill.

(edited by coglin.1496)

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Choops.3710

Well, except the warrior’s skill doesn’t knock them down too lol.

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

Are you afraid what we’re saying is true which usually leads to someone booting the engineer out of the dungeon group? hmm?

Weird, in my experience they only boot badly played engineers. If your being booted from dungeons, perhaps it is not solely based on the profession.

Except that it doesn’t work like a shot gun. # 1 skill is not shotgun like at all. #2 is not shotgun like in the least. #4 is the same effect as warriors #5 skill, does that make warrior rifle a shot gun? #5 Jump shot is not any more shot gun then rifle.

We have 2 closer ranged skills and 1 is precisely like the warriors close range skill.

Without Rifled Barrels
Hip Shot – 1,000 distance
Net Shot – 1,000 distance
Blunderbuss – 400 distance, deals most damage and bleeding stacks when used in 100 distance
Overcharged Shot – 400 distance
Jump Shot – 700 distance, 120 radius.

We all know we’ll get the best output when fighting in 100~700 range. I think a warrior’s rifle defines a “Rifle”. Though I agree that 1, 2, and 5 are in no way of a shotgun at all. I compared it to a shotgun since it works better is close range.

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

I’m going to agree with the OP, why? Because it’s true, we have tools for every situation, we’re just not optimal in 1 vs Many. I stopped caring about being top notch for duels, and charging into every single roaming Thief, Mesmer or D/D Elementalist.

I like to give areas of denial, shoot stuff, CC spam people, pull ennemies and hit them with the pry bar. If these petty easymode Altair clones like to do what everyone else does, it’s cool for them, I prefer the legendary epicness of an engineer rather than the stale, overrated, sour and foul taste of the generic assassin. (Yes, I tried to make a Charr Thief in a Predator fashion and I couldn’t bear the thought that 90% of roamers out there are Thieves)

In what concerns the elegance: The Engineer is not ‘elegant’ in the way of synergies, it’s not supposed to, all the builds are composed of different tricks and gadgets with no synergies between eachother, but so simple that you get to use them well altogether, it’s a strength I couldn’t get to find anywhere else.

In the end I’m going to say that the Engineer is fine. Even if I get back on that comment everytime I flee from a D/D Ele or watch a Thief fleeing far away after a fight where I had the upper hand.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

Sorry but...

in Engineer

Choops.3710

I’m going to agree with the OP, why? Because it’s true, we have tools for every situation, we’re just not optimal in 1 vs Many. I stopped caring about being top notch for duels, and charging into every single roaming Thief, Mesmer or D/D Elementalist.

I like to give areas of denial, shoot stuff, CC spam people, pull ennemies and hit them with the pry bar. If these petty easymode Altair clones like to do what everyone else does, it’s cool for them, I prefer the legendary epicness of an engineer rather than the stale, overrated, sour and foul taste of the generic assassin. (Yes, I tried to make a Charr Thief in a Predator fashion and I couldn’t bear the thought that 90% of roamers out there are Thieves)

In what concerns the elegance: The Engineer is not ‘elegant’ in the way of synergies, it’s not supposed to, all the builds are composed of different tricks and gadgets with no synergies between eachother, but so simple that you get to use them well altogether, it’s a strength I couldn’t get to find anywhere else.

In the end I’m going to say that the Engineer is fine. Even if I get back on that comment everytime I flee from a D/D Ele or watch a Thief fleeing far away after a fight where I had the upper hand.

Well put, sir. Our Engi is held together with spit and blood, and that’s how we like it.
+1

Sorry but...

in Engineer

coglin.1496

“Elegence” ? that is just silly. If any one wants the profession to be “elegant” they need to stop lobbying to change the profession and play James Bond games. He is elegant, in a tuxedo and fun gadgets. Though, last I checked, Anet very literally advertises and describes our profession as……

“Masters of mechanical mayhem, engineers love to tinker with explosives, elixirs, and all manner of hazardous gadgets. They can take control of an area by placing turrets, support their allies with alchemic weaponry, or lay waste to foes with a wide array of mines, bombs, and grenades.”

Mayhem, explosives, and hazardous, in no logical way screams “elegant” to anyone. If you want elegance, ask for a tuxedo in the cash shop.

The rest of us want to play with how it had been themed, designed and intended, …………..with hazardous mayhem.