Static Discharge for Dungeons?

in Engineer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

Any GC(any prof) that does not get hit will never be down. That said, static discharge is as boring as HGH / Grenade etc; As for WvW usage, It may be viable if you roam solo. I tried it and it works ok, unless you run into a good player(not to mention any mediocre thief).
You will always use the rifle and I got very bored/sick of the animation and hip shooting.
The dmg output is decent, and it will be ok for CoF. If you run fractals / arah / any other serious dungeon, I would not recommend it, unless you go with a good group and you are good at dodging.

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

It depends on how you build SD. Typically if your end up autoshooting you need to rework your utilities a bit. With points in tools you can get reduced tool belt skill cool downs and with rifle turret get a SD every 7s.

But typically you want to pair the build with other kits or use it with turrets.

I’ve ran it with rifle / rocket turret, and with tool kit, eg / bomb kits to great success.

The key is to swap between different abilities, and it tends to be a more much melee build than it seems.

My favorite PvE build for it at the moment is rifle – healing turret, tool kit, rifle turret, rocket turret. You can run this with PP if you want a more condi build. Right now I am power spec’d using a mix of knights / valkerie.

its 0 / 30 / 10 / 0 / 30

But I use the tool belt abilities on rifle / rocket turrets as I push in then I leave them in a safe or mostly safe spot and push into melee. Once in melee I use a combination of rifle and tool kit swapping back and forth between cool downs. I tend to detonate rifle turret when the overcharge is on CD and then hit the tool belt for a double SD and then redeploy when it’s back up. If you use healing turret you get a heal out of it and a 3rd SD.

But for pve it is a melee build, and melee builds don’t work well on some bosses and you need to be careful about placement. You need to be good at dodging and knowing when to use your tool kit block, and to be honest the dps from HGH is better and you do not really have to play well to do well with HGH.

So it is a harder build to be effective with. But I find it to be more fun overall, but if you doing higher level fractals, besure you know the boss fights well.

in Engineer

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Hey everyone,

I’ve been running dungeons with the typical HGH+grenade kit build for quite some time now, and it’s beginning to get stale. I’m so sick of keeping all my elixirs up – not to mention the grenade spam.

Aaaanyways, I’ve been looking into the static discharge build, but see that it’s always used in sPvP or WvW. Is a glass cannon build like this viable in dungeons? I’d mainly use it for some CoF speed runs for gold.

How survivable is it? Will I always be down, or can I hold my own? I was thinking that with the toolkit it’d be a bit more durable. I’d just like to know your opinions before I plunk down the gold for the armor.

Thanks!

I use static discharge and I love it. I have even seen players successful using the Flamethrower with Static discharge. Anyway this is my build. I choose bombs in dungeons because they have a very high AOE damage and kept the rifle for long range attacks in case the situation requires. I use the SD tool skills as often as I can and preferably on groups of mobs so they can bounce. COF P1 is a piece of cake and in P2 you are very successfully defending Magg against the Assassins.

Here is the link to my build. You can try it and return with questions.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/PVE-DUNGEON-BUILD-Advice-needed/first#post2170283

in Engineer

Posted by: Cooltar.2608

Cooltar.2608

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQFAUl0picX3y2F17IxIFdm0gekX/WXRKyfjB-jgyAYLAaBIRBI5JMm9iaCEpNUENWVZk1lJV5CAA-e

This my favorite SD Dungeon build that uses Wrench, EG, & Goggles (or whatever utility of your choosing). I use a combination of Knight and Zerker armor. Use your tool belt burst, run to the enemy, use all your high damage short range attacks (Pry bar, blunderbuss, rocket jump (to hit twice)), then acid bomb to put you back at range. Wrench will give you some survability with gear shield and EG is in general great for team support. Acid Bomb hits hard (and hits at least 5 times) and is fun to launch around with.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

I playing with this SD build and gear for almost 5 months in whole PvE without any problems:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcIQFAUl0pqdH5STF17IyoHkWntZgUkX61HFz3DC-jACBYLAkIAJPFRjtIMIVNTjVXDT5iIq2grIa1SBExCA-e
I did all dungs and fractals to 48. Build is pretty simple to use and some ppl can say its bit boring but imo that dodging around and positioning for piercing shots its pretty fun for me:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

(edited by Rozbuska.5263)

in Engineer

Posted by: ikiturso.4026

ikiturso.4026

Does bomb kit’s big ol shoot SD too? Or is it bugged like 90% of SD skills shootin the bolt to some random direction.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

HGH is for turkittends and it sucks.

use this

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQFAUlspiYnpSbF17IyYGf2EC+Ag95xb1WQIA-jgyAYLAaBIRBI5JMm9iaCEpNUENWVZk1lJV5CAA-e

Full zerker gear too, you shouldn’t ever be getting hit l2dodge what little stuff actually comes out in 1000+ range in these easy mode dungeons.

in Engineer

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Does bomb kit’s big ol shoot SD too? Or is it bugged like 90% of SD skills shootin the bolt to some random direction.

Try to target the monster facing it. The SD hits will activate and hit even if using big ol or cleansing burst from turret.

in Engineer

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

If you are not running with something that needs a lot of ground targeting (grenades, for instance), try using the combat mode reticle for targeting the enemy with the cleansing burst or mist from the EG. For the other things like elixirs, you almost have to be inside the target model to hit them with it.

When I run SD in dungeons, I really like running p/s, heal turret for support, grenades (barrage + SD = amazing burst), tool kit, and elixir R OR goggles… depending on the instance.

For full support (Arah), I generally DON’T run SD, but change my traits for more durability and survival.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

For full support (Arah), I generally DON’T run SD, but change my traits for more durability and survival.

Why not? We have plentiful Vigor to dodge out of all of Lupi’s BS.

But our lack of Stability is really a big problem in phase 3 if you get a lot of aggro due to high Toughness. I find it’s safer going the DPS route against him. He usually ignores me when I’m in Berserker gear.

Only time I slot in my defensive gear is when I’m tanking Shoggroth with the Flamethrower, on path one.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

Why not? We have plentiful Vigor to dodge out of all of Lupi’s BS.

But our lack of Stability is really a big problem in phase 3 if you get a lot of aggro due to high Toughness. I find it’s safer going the DPS route against him. He usually ignores me when I’m in Berserker gear.

Only time I slot in my defensive gear is when I’m tanking Shoggroth with the Flamethrower, on path one.

When I run tankier traits, it is usually all of the protection triggers, Elixir S auto, and swiftness.

I will slot up heal turret, Grenades, Elixir gun, and elixir R for refilling my endurance.

I can’t justify the tiny bit more damage that SD gives against mobs with HP in the 200k range (silver mobs in Arah), and bosses in the 1.5 mil range. It isn’t practical, from my point of view to give up more survival, when if I go down (and I don’t much) my team has to rez or be down a person. I also run with zerk gear, but I don’t tank Shoggy, I make sure I have IP, slot up my FT kit and then us incendiary ammo with my already 50%+ condition duration and add rare veggie pizza for 90%+, that and either a guard, ele, or torch ranger in the party will get the extra burning on him full time.

Instead of running with the SD for extra damage, I run a sigil of undead slaying, the powerful potion of undead slaying and sigil of night for a total of +33% damage. This is a super fun set up with the elixir gun, with giant crits on silly things like flubber, and support that the whole team notices

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

in Engineer

Posted by: Ghostpilot.6237

Ghostpilot.6237

I don’t have time to elaborate further at the moment, but Static Discharge will work properly on any toolbelt skill that targets an enemy on skill use. Curiously, this property applies to skills you wouldn’t think it would. Here’s a list of those I recall off the top of my head.

Utility Goggles
Throw Mine
Personal Battering Ram
Tool Kit
Rifle Turret
Rocket Turret
Net Turret
Rocket Boots

Otherwise, the Static Discharge will fly in whatever direction the center of the camera is facing. So it’s possible to manually line up shots with it on skills that lack enemy targeting, but it’s really just more trouble than it’s worth.

in Engineer

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

I don’t have time to elaborate further at the moment, but Static Discharge will work properly on any toolbelt skill that targets an enemy on skill use. Curiously, this property applies to skills you wouldn’t think it would. Here’s a list of those I recall off the top of my head.

Utility Goggles
Throw Mine
Personal Battering Ram
Tool Kit
Rifle Turret
Rocket Turret
Net Turret
Rocket Boots

Otherwise, the Static Discharge will fly in whatever direction the center of the camera is facing. So it’s possible to manually line up shots with it on skills that lack enemy targeting, but it’s really just more trouble than it’s worth.

What’s really nice for the few of us who still love Throw Mine, the minefield will proc SD when you lay the mines, then again when you remote detonate them. For some gratifying (if subpar) explosive burst, get an enemy in range of SD, lay mines to hit them for one SD, step back and when they’re in the minefield, detonate the remaining untriggered mines for a second SD plus 1-5 explosions. Not bad to say you’ve only really used one button.

in Engineer

Posted by: tattoohead.3217

tattoohead.3217

I have been running SD build for a while now, i love it. I use Rifle, Med Kit (the f1 is so boss) Rifle Turret (f2 has a 7s cool down) Tool Kit (throw wrench is on a short cool down and hits hard) and the last slot i change from Goggles (vuln stacking and easy to hit SD) Rocket Turret (high dmg and knock back) and PBR (because i like beer =P )