Steam punk medium armors for engineers

in Engineer

Posted by: EllyBean.6485

EllyBean.6485

Anyone else think that the medium armors that engineers can wear are ugly?

I wish Anet designed some REAL armor sets for the engineer because currently, my human female engineer either looks like ninja or pirate with a big gun when I wear medium armor, or an explorer working up in the north pole with those ugly puffy looking exotic medium armor coats. The crafted rare medium armor sets that huntsman can make, that noble set look okay but it just doesn’t look nice wearing a noble suit, holding a rifle and throwing grenades everywhere (a suit and backpack does not go well together)…just looks out of place…it makes me look like I’m on my way to a masquerade party. I just can’t take that profession seriously wearing that lol…I mean, don’t get me wrong, noble armors somewhat incorporates a steam punk aspect to it but maybe make it look like I’m ready for battle and not look like I’m about to go to a wealthy/classy masquerade party.

Since we’re a gadget-y type of profession, I wish there was a battle-ready steam punk style armor set made just for engineers.

The current armors either make me look like another profession (like thief or ranger) or makes me look fat, as if I’m wearing an oversized jacket. Anyway, what I’m trying to say is the cutting of the armor needs work. It’s either too long, too baggy/big or a combination of both. Medium armor sets just doesn’t look good on every profession.

I say design 1-2 nice looking armors per profession. Some trench coats are nice but rather long (a little too long if you ask me) and the gloves or shoulderpads are generally NOT nice-looking. The male armors almost always look better than the females. I like the length of the heritage medium armor, maybe something along the lines of that kind but make it a hybrid trench coat (made for fighting/battles) of some sort (not a trench coat but something that incorporates the heritage armor and steam punk genre)? The heritage armor makes me look like a ranger with a gun but whatever, it is much better than the crafted med armor sets you make as a huntsman.

P.S. – I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing the tier 3 cultural human medium armor. It just doesn’t go well with my engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hazal Birunae.6082

Hazal Birunae.6082

Have you tried out the armor from Sorrow’s Embrace? It looks pretty good.

+1 though, steampunk ftw.

in Engineer

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I suppose it depends on how much stock you put in your profession determining your armor style.

Personally, I’m of the opinion that armor is just armor and it doesn’t need to match individual professions. I don’t see why dressing like a pirate or wearing a face mask or whatever is unfitting for an Engineer, and I don’t think that just because Engineers use gadgets should mean they need to be running around in cybernetic suits. Just because you use gadgets to fight doesn’t mean you want to be wearing them too.

More variety is good, though. I can’t see myself ever using a steampunk themed armor set, but whatever.

Its kind of funny that Engineer is the only profession that seems to constantly get these complaints, though. I never see Elementalists complaining that there aren’t any clothing options with water and lightning patterns, or Mesmers complaining about lack of butterfly gear, or Guardians wanting battlemage armor.

in Engineer

EllyBean.6485

Just to clarify, I never said anything about wearing cybernetic suits. Some nice images of steam punk clothing can be found in Google images. I meant steam punk 19th century British Victorian era style clothing, with a steam punk form fitting leather twist to it (hence the hybrid trench coat-heritage armor comment)…and no leather steam punk skirts please, haha.

And yeah the Sorrow’s Embrace looks okay, especially for males but for females, not as much. :/

See, the other professions have very nice armors to it, hence why they don’t complain at all. I played other professions and often wondered why theirs look amazing and why medium armors that engineers wear just doesn’t look right. Only exception to this is the light armors, where you see a number of people complaining about how skimpy their female elementalist/mesmer is, and that they should add better light armors that isn’t as revealing but that can be found in an entirely different thread under Suggestions…

in Engineer

Posted by: Czar Peter.7961

Czar Peter.7961

Here are my attempts at steampunk/cyberpunk on my engineer. Only problem is there aren’t any good engineer builds for me to justify getting more armor :/

Attachments:

Engineer – Thief – Warrior

in Engineer

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

Yeah, the lack of engineerish armors is sad.
SE’s set is ok but it’s only one set. And it’s not really suited for every engi, only for like FT and bombs.

The irony is we have a nice looking engi in our Tools trait picture lol. But nothing similar in-game.

EU Aurora Glade

(edited by Isslair.4908)

in Engineer

Posted by: Hazal Birunae.6082

Hazal Birunae.6082

Here are my attempts at steampunk/cyberpunk on my engineer. Only problem is there aren’t any good engineer builds for me to justify getting more armor :/

Where’s that chestpiece from the bottom picture from :o?

in Engineer

Posted by: elitegamerz.4965

elitegamerz.4965

in Engineer

Posted by: Ejiofor.4801

Ejiofor.4801

I would love to see class specific armor/weapons…e.g. for Engineer, having the Steampunk ‘feel’ would be a must!

A WW1 style helmet with goggles and gas mask…wide brimmed hats w/goggles…shoulders and gloves that have that ‘cybertech’ gear/pipe look…Power Boots that have, well, power! Clunky but elegant. Make similar to Cultural Armor/Weapon Tiers…the higher the Tier, the more complex!

Gearstrip Jones, Engineer, Borlis Pass, [KPUP]
“Which Lo Pan? Little ol’ basket case on wheels, or the ten-foot-tall roadblock?!”
-Kurt Russell, Big Trouble in Little China

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Here is my engie in SE armor. I don’t think it looks so much as steampunk as others have said, seems more of a heavy soldier look.

Its probably cause I have it green and with karma shoulderpads though…

Edit: Don’t judge my charr for holding his gun so weird

Attachments:

(edited by Penguin.5197)

in Engineer

Posted by: Panzen.4625

Panzen.4625

I agree that there could really be some greater variety in medium armors.

However, it is really dependant on your race, gender and color choice. Armor, especially medium armor, tends to look very different on charr or azura characters when compared to humans/trees.
So an armor that might look good on azura might look horrible on charr or armor dyed blue or brown might look more fitting than when dyed the black/white/red most people seem to prefer.

I like my selected armor on my azura. Got a defensive set of AC+karma armor that has a sturdy riveted leather look and a more offensive armor set that mainly consists of a nice jeans-colored coat + lots of belts/buckles.

No idea if you can call that exactly steampunk but I still like it.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

The irony is we have a nice looking engi in our Tools trait picture lol. But nothing similar in-game.

Just noticed that too now, so sad but true. :/

in Engineer

Posted by: Billza.8361

Billza.8361

I disagree,

Here’s my Steam punk Tree.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

yeah those just look ridiculous. a big hell no from me.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

in Engineer

EllyBean.6485

Yeah, I totally agree. The medium armors, while some of it looks good (I viewed your character’s armors above), it doesn’t look good on ALL races and genders.

Like I said, the male armors look much better than the female ones – especially human male armors vs. human female ones. I just wish Anet invested some time into making some steam punk style armors and made it so it would look great regardless of race and gender.

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I’ve had this same impression since the betas. I’d love a lot of the medium armors on a ranger or thief, but I don’t feel they work on the engineer.

The one I found peace with was the Ascalonian set you can earn with the dungeon tokens from Ascalon Catacombs. It has more of a soldier-type look to it, and it has an actual helmet instead of a mask or hood. I’d suggest having a look at it if you haven’t yet.

The odd thing is that I wouldn’t imagine that any new engineer-style armors would really look that great on rangers or thieves, so we kind of have our own little armor niche outside of the rest of the medium armors.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mobott.5908

Mobott.5908

What armor pieces are you wearing in the bottom picture? I see the Noble Mask, but don’t recognize the other pieces.

(edited by Mobott.5908)

in Engineer

Posted by: Ricky Rouse.1583

Ricky Rouse.1583

You could try a militant look instead.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Tazdingo.8249

Tazdingo.8249

I disagree,

What armors are you wearing? i really want to try it on.
i hope it would be fit with my charr.

in Engineer

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

Looks better with karma gloves/boots/coat/shoulders imho.

in Engineer

Posted by: InfamousBrad.5879

InfamousBrad.5879

Don’t have a screenshot handy, but I’m keeping my Engineer in Outlaw armor except for the goggles. Leather and brass over pin-stripe fabric looks plenty steampunk to me. Especially with the engineer goggles.

in Engineer

Posted by: Billza.8361

Billza.8361

I disagree,

What armors are you wearing? i really want to try it on.
i hope it would be fit with my charr.

Uh, Idk about charr but you’re welcome to try ^^

Head – Honed Leather mask
Shoulder – Ascalonian leather Shoulderguards (toggled off in the photo)
Chest – Noble Coat
Legs – Noble pants
Feet – Now the shoes I picked up from a low level karma vendor, I forgot where though. Sorry.

Most of the gear you can pick up from the Trading post pretty cheap as it is crafted gear, expect from the shoes and shoulders.

in Engineer

Posted by: commanderrab.5139

commanderrab.5139

The noble coat looks pretty good and incredibly steampunky on your male tree. Assuming it looks pretty much the same on the rest of the human shaped models. The female noble coat doesn’t look that great. It’s a little too fancy and thematically isn;t something that someone working with explosives and chemicals and stuff would wear. Way too much exposed skin. I personally haven’t liked most of the chest pieces for the medium armor. Most of them don’t feel very engineery. Only exceptions really being the crafted (probably?) Leather armor set and the exotic Karma coat.

Some of the styles I had on hand for reference:
1. Pirate
2. Noble
3. Crafted Leather set
4. Seeker
5. Item description says “Stalwart’s Jerkin” think I got it as a story mission reward, might also be karma gear.
6. Low level karma or lvl80 rare “Jacket”
7. Karma exotic

And since I forgot it in the big pic the last one is listed as “Mending Jacket” and that one I know was a story mission reward. Probably from retaking Claw island, or somewhere around there in the story.

Attachments:

“Only an Engineer would weaponize a box of piranhas.”

in Engineer

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

The bottom line is – only make females for light armor. Sad truth.

EU Aurora Glade

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I completely agree. As a hunter in WoW i had items my engineer as a crafter could make that has whirring, movable parts. I also had items I found throughout the world all with the gear motif that had moving parts.

I was hoping to see more then just a pistol bought from a low level karma vendor that my engineer could use where you can barely see the gear move.

None of the Charr stuff has steam coming out of it and the dagger is the only thing i see moving.

The armor pieces like shields don’t have gears on them and the 1 that has something like this in the middle doesn’t move at all.

The goggles don’t move and nothing on the backpacks are mechanical and all look like hobo backpacks no matter the look of the armor.

It’s not too much to ask to be able to change the colors of the backpacks and make the armor weapons backpacks for kits and cosmetic back packs all customizable.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i think the problem i have with all of the idea pics provided is that while the style of victorian era fashion + brass accents, functional glass accessories, metal tubing, and goggles conveys a very steamy sort of person… thats all youre getting. not punk. punk is dirty, gritty, and nonconformist. the computer graphics images are too clean, too perfect. the cosplays have obviously been worn once or twice… instead of left in the rain so the brass can tarnish, or the fabrics/leather beaten for a couple days with a baseball bat and then thrown in a mud pit and then worn enough to keep them from being caked in mud.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

EllyBean.6485

The noble coat looks pretty good and incredibly steampunky on your male tree. Assuming it looks pretty much the same on the rest of the human shaped models. The female noble coat doesn’t look that great. It’s a little too fancy and thematically isn;t something that someone working with explosives and chemicals and stuff would wear. Way too much exposed skin. I personally haven’t liked most of the chest pieces for the medium armor. Most of them don’t feel very engineery. Only exceptions really being the crafted (probably?) Leather armor set and the exotic Karma coat.

Some of the styles I had on hand for reference:
1. Pirate
2. Noble
3. Crafted Leather set
4. Seeker
5. Item description says “Stalwart’s Jerkin” think I got it as a story mission reward, might also be karma gear.
6. Low level karma or lvl80 rare “Jacket”
7. Karma exotic

And since I forgot it in the big pic the last one is listed as “Mending Jacket” and that one I know was a story mission reward. Probably from retaking Claw island, or somewhere around there in the story.

The #6 one looks like rogue armor – http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rogue_armor
That jacket looks all right, a bit too long though…and the shoulder pads design could use some work.

And yeah, I agree. I think the female noble set is the closest thing to steam punk but looks just way too classy for you to be doing engineery stuff like wielding guns, grenades, bombs, elixir gun, flamethrower, etc.

(edited by EllyBean.6485)

in Engineer

Posted by: commanderrab.5139

commanderrab.5139

That is the rogue set it seems. The one I had in the picture was labeled as “Tarff leather coat” was a level 10 karma purchase, and I had another one in the same style at level 80 that as I look at it now is indeed the Rogue coat. kittenand kitten

Also forgot to get a shot of the Outlaw set mentioned earlier in the thread. I ran around in that full set (minus the half skull mask) from mid 60s up until I hit 80 and could go after the karma exotics. That’s not a bad looking set, it’s just again, not super engineery. More of a “old west” look to it, and the skulls on it… eh.

“Only an Engineer would weaponize a box of piranhas.”

in Engineer

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Here’s my cyberpunk-themed engineer:

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: LukeTheQuke.4079

LukeTheQuke.4079

Its kind of funny that Engineer is the only profession that seems to constantly get these complaints, though. I never see Elementalists complaining that there aren’t any clothing options with water and lightning patterns, or Mesmers complaining about lack of butterfly gear, or Guardians wanting battlemage armor.

Yeh that is funny.. oh wait, it’s because those professions already have those There are tons of fitting armor for a mesmer/guardian/elementalist (who by the way can change colour to make it appropriate to their element) but there is currently only one steam punk type armor which is SE and tbh it’s rly ugly. :V

It’s funny how your own argument kind of declines itself since people complaining means there is something wrong whereas if they’re not complaining everything is fine. Right now this type of complaint is only made in engineer forums → engineers are the only ones suffering from it. lol

in Engineer

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

what does the char lands heart gear look like? the weapon drops are very “steampunk”

in Engineer

Posted by: Sentinel VX.1392

Sentinel VX.1392

Too much thief like end-game medium armor… not enough for engy except for the exotic karma set or SE set.

I managed to make my engy looks cool though.

Attachments:

Sea of Sorrow since BWE.

in Engineer

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

http://dulfy.net/2012/07/21/gw2-armor-previews/

I think each cultural armor has 1 that fits each profession.
Human. medium.
T1 engineer. (welding mask, coat) T2 ranger. (hides, fur)(T3 thief. (clearly thief)

Norn. Medium.
T2 engineer. these are harder. I think the t2 looks most like something a blacksmith would wear, for a norn. t3 is ranger I think.

Sylvari.
T1 engineer. flasks are part of the gear. sweet coat. (and it glows!)
T2. ranger. t3 thief or engineer as well. the “longcoat” effect works for either.

Asura.
t1 ranger. t2 thief, t3 engineer.
should come as no suprise that all 3 Asura can fit as engineer with ease.

Charr.
t1 thief. t2 engineer. t3 ranger
Conversely, these aren’t very engineer at all. which is odd.
Charr cultural is oddly “tribal”.

in Engineer

EllyBean.6485

The human female T1 engineer cultural armor looks sort of okay but nothing too spectacular or “wow, that’s so amazing” about it.

I just remembered this steam punk TV web series called “Riese: Kingdom Falling” that was on syfy a few years ago. I want to see some leather steam punk style armors like these (although long sleeve style, and less skin showing would be better). Or have both options available (long and short sleeve style) should be good too.

I sooo want the goggles…looks so amazing. The leather belt looks cool too. But yeah, form fitting leather would be something I’d like to see.

http://www.syfy.com/_cache/assets/assets/riese/2011-05/wallpaper_riese_fenrir_1600_130628246033.jpg

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Wasdclick.1764

Wasdclick.1764

in Engineer

Posted by: Crows.2764

Crows.2764

asura cultural looks all quite engineerish, CM which is same as troopers set which you get from story quests (bit soldierish look), karma set and SE set with goggles or karma hat looks quite engineerish.

Some random crafted pieces are quite nice like noble and pirate..

in Engineer

Posted by: Cobra.4625

Cobra.4625

Wow is that all SE armor? Cause the wiki dosent do it justice. That chest piece is exactly what I was looking for on my Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tien.3865

Tien.3865

I disagree,

Awesome! I also have a sylvari and have been trying for that look, but you’ve nailed it. What legs, shoes, and weapon are you using?

Borlis Pass solo roamer

in Engineer

Posted by: Grackleflint.4956

Grackleflint.4956

What shield are you wielding in the top picture?

in Engineer

Posted by: Wasdclick.1764

Wasdclick.1764

What shield are you wielding in the top picture?

Looks like the Asura racial T3 shield

Peacemaker’s Shield

Unless I’m looking at the wrong pic.

in Engineer

Posted by: Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

you all just need the exotic coat from wvw and be happy

in Engineer

Posted by: Vekthor.8914

Vekthor.8914

My engineer has more of a feeling of gunslinger then steampunk, but I think it still fits very well, mostly because my build focuses on dual pistols.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

I want top hats with goggles, and a few coats with clocks and pressure meters visable.
And a shield that is a folded out mechanic constuction, or some wheel. Tool Kit you say? Yes, I reply… but permanent.

Thank you very much.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

EllyBean.6485

I think anything with clocks and pressure meters would look better on steam punk style weapons but yeah, the shield is an interesting idea I’d like to see.

Oh oh oh, maybe a steam punk style watch hanging on chest armor or belt of the steam punk armor, that’d be cool!