Suggestion: Downed State Revamp

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Does everyone agree that our downed state should be the next major update for Engineers?

I think everyone here will agree at this point that not only is the downed state for engis a bit behind the rest but that it’s pretty much a guaranteed “kill us now” feature for every mob in the game. (save for pre-level 5 mobs) It’s been how many years now and we’ve been very patient waiting for our downed state skills to be improved so that they are useful.

At the very least they could give our Booby Trap a big upgrade so that it does as much damage as the Phantasmal Rogue. And change Throw Junk to Throw Explosives. I would even ask if we could have both of these skills be affected by the Explosives trait line so that damage would be high enough to allow us to Rally more often.

Please + and reply if you agree.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Agreed. Engi downstate is by far the worst in the game.
1 needs more damage
2 is ok like this
3 needs much more devastating damage
4 ofc ok

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

I find it to be one of the worst for pve.
On the plus side it makes me fear being downed at all.

in Engineer

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

I never get downed, so I can’t really relate to this.

J/K, I do agree.

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

+ totally agrred.

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in Engineer

tigirius.9014

Thanks let’s hope we get some more +’s so this thread will become noticed! Spread the word folks!

in Engineer

Posted by: Erdy.3201

Erdy.3201

Still far better than thief (pve)… They get up like me at 5 am…

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

Absolutely. My two main characters are Engineer… And Ranger. The contrast between the two is staggering. I have to stop playing and switch over to my Ranger for the rest of the day any time I get Downed just to keep from getting depressed.

The class is always greener on the other side.

in Engineer

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

A downed engineer is a dead engineer, unless there’s something to rally off of.

I still would very much like Grappling Line (#2) to mimic harpoon gun #3 -Retreating Grapple. That is to say, make Grapple Line additionally push back the engineer slightly, opposite the direction of the pulled target. At least then we’d have the chance to move out of AoE.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

in Engineer

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I disagree.

The game needs more downed-states like Warriors, Guardians, Rangers, Engineers, Necros and less stupid and hard to counter ones like the Thief, Elementalist or Mesmer.

When you go down you should be reliably stomped. Everything else is just dumb.

in Engineer

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Either way, they need to be more consistent (ability wise) across classes. I do agree that there needs to be SOME type of movement skill (eventually) available to allow the possibility of getting out of AoE damage zones.

You should have a decent chance of being able to Rally in a one or 2 enemy PvE situation (sans Champion / Vet) and yet should be rather easily stoppable by another player.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

I disagree.

The game needs more downed-states like Warriors, Guardians, Rangers, Engineers, Necros and less stupid and hard to counter ones like the Thief, Elementalist or Mesmer.

PvE-wise… Warrior’s Vengeance can be quite effective, and Guardian’s Symbol of Judgement is a nice booster for staying alive, plus both of them have heavy armor to help them keep alive. Ranger’s Lick Wounds is just plain AMAZING, not to mention that you still have your pet in the fight (and can control it), and Necromancer’s Life Leech and Fear are both quite handy for keeping yourself going until you can be rescued, or manage to kill something yourself.

Engineer can yank over one single enemy to ensure a speedy demise, and if they’re lucky enough to last until Booby Trap comes off cooldown, they can launch a couple enemies who’ll just be right back over immediately. You have no form of healing except for the guaranteed-to-be-interrupted Bandage, no form of movement, and a single-target interrupt that puts the enemy exactly where you don’t want them to be. Throw Junk could be pretty neat as a normal attack, but not something to use while you’re rapidly bleeding out.

I’m not a big fan of negatively-charged class changes, so I can’t in good conscience call for every other class to be so brutally neutered to the level of Engineer. I love the Downed state mechanics, that it gives you a fighting chance even after getting blasted… And the thing is, Engineer doesn’t get to participate in that mechanic. There IS no chance if you go down, unless you have allies willing to prioritize your survival above their damage score.

As far as PvP goes, they’re all a little more equal if only because of the fact that inadequacy is inadequacy, regardless of how much worse one class’ inadequacy is compared to another. Ranger’s Downed state is like being a GOD in PvE, but in PvP, only movement can give you a chance thanks to the stomp mechanic. As such, Engineer’s Downed state shortcomings are a good deal less prevalent there. But in PvE, you can do nothing but snivel and sob as you watch your allies use their Downed tricks to recover, your health bar melting away as you sit in a puddle of acid, the monster you pulled over gnawing on your ankle while you sprinkle nuts and bolts on them hoping that one or two have some exceptionally sharp edges. And then you explode. Violently.

The class is always greener on the other side.

(edited by Toolbox.9375)

in Engineer

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

I disagree.

PvE-wise… Warrior’s Vengeance can be quite effective, and Guardian’s Symbol of Judgement is a nice booster for staying alive, plus both of them have heavy armor to help them keep alive. Ranger’s Lick Wounds is just plain AMAZING, not to mention that you still have your pet in the fight (and can control it), and Necromancer’s Life Leech and Fear are both quite handy for keeping yourself going until you can be rescued, or manage to kill something yourself.

Engineer can yank over one single enemy to ensure a speedy demise, and if they’re lucky enough to last until Booby Trap comes off cooldown, they can launch a couple enemies who’ll just be right back over immediately. You have no form of healing except for the guaranteed-to-be-interrupted Bandage, no form of movement, and a single-target interrupt that puts the enemy exactly where you don’t want them to be. Throw Junk could be pretty neat as a normal attack, but not something to use while you’re rapidly bleeding out.

I’m not a big fan of negatively-charged class changes, so I can’t in good conscience call for every other class to be so brutally neutered to the level of Engineer. I love the Downed state mechanics, that it gives you a fighting chance even after getting blasted… And the thing is, Engineer doesn’t get to participate in that mechanic. There IS no chance if you go down, unless you have allies willing to prioritize your survival above their damage score.

As far as PvP goes, they’re all a little more equal if only because of the fact that inadequacy is inadequacy, regardless of how much worse one class’ inadequacy is compared to another. Ranger’s Downed state is like being a GOD in PvE, but in PvP, only movement can give you a chance thanks to the stomp mechanic. As such, Engineer’s Downed state shortcomings are a good deal less prevalent there. But in PvE, you can do nothing but snivel and sob as you watch your allies use their Downed tricks to recover, your health bar melting away as you sit in a puddle of acid, the monster you pulled over gnawing on your ankle while you sprinkle nuts and bolts on them hoping that one or two have some exceptionally sharp edges. And then you explode. Violently.

Traited Guardian #3 is amazing, it counts as a symbol. I’ve rallied myself and others downed around me off of the healing from this more than a few times.

Ranger’s #3 is pretty fantastic as well, albeit not terribly reliable. My pet managed to get to me despite me having gone down between three Champions and a few elites/vets during an upscaled Jofast and pretty easily revived me.

I think you hit the nail on the head pretty well about the engineer downed skills by comparison.

I mean come on, at the very least make Grappling Line pull ONLY your target, and ignore other targets in the path. At least then we could selectively pull the weakest target in hopes of actually hitting it with Throw Junk to rally.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

in Engineer

Posted by: WouterCloots.2504

WouterCloots.2504

I never get downed, so I can’t really relate to this.

J/K, I do agree.

Lol u god. What kind of players are you fighting? I also saw this topic of yours about how invincible you are.

Please bless me, your highness. (Sarcasm)

“Success is survival -Leonard Cohen
Like beating a pro necro” -Me

in Engineer

tigirius.9014

Uhm yeah the call for the downed state is not for PVP it’s for PVE it’s clear that the engineer’s downed state isn’t even as useful as the Ranger’s much less the Guardian’s and that’s a problem.

Today I had yet another day of almost guaranteed deaths because my crapy downed state skills aren’t affected by explosive traits, or firewarm traits to even bring them close to being useful.

I see NPC’s throw mines all the time, if they allowed us a throw mines skill as a 1 skill then it could be affected by the explosives line, then if they’d open the explosive traits to affect booby trap that might actually make a difference.

When we made a long laundry list of suggestions just after launch one of the things we suggested was this trait line enhanced damage boost to both 1 and 3 or a complete redux of the system to allow engineers the use of turrets or a cloaking device to prevent being aggroed.

I’ve been playing my Ranger lately and even their traits that enhance the downed state work way better than ours. For example, the trait that creates a spring when downed helps with healing and condition removal whereas the equivalent trait for engineers drops bandages that fall too far away for us to even get to.

It’s completely out of hand.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Agreed. Bare minimum make throw junk piercing so that I can hit the target with 2% health and not the random mob standing in front of him.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Engineer

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

Booby Trap could be the 2nd skill, and the 3rd one we drop an improved Healing Turret.

in Engineer

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Speaking purely in terms of wish list here. Give me Elixir S in the same respect that eles get mist form, thieves get shadow escape, and mesmers get deception.

in Engineer

Posted by: Katlyntje.7962

Katlyntje.7962

I’ve been playing my Ranger lately and even their traits that enhance the downed state work way better than ours. For example, the trait that creates a spring when downed helps with healing and condition removal whereas the equivalent trait for engineers drops bandages that fall too far away for us to even get to.

Ug! I was so disgusted the when I chose that trait and THEN figured out it did no good at all since you couldn’t move to get to the bandages. I then had to waste gold for re-traiting, this being about a year ago when you had to pay.

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow. BOOM!

Primary: Gizzmologist Saikka – Asura Engineer