[Suggestion] Flame Blast

[Suggestion] Flame Blast

in Engineer

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I’m just curious if there’s any balancing problems associated with if we change Flame Blast such that it just travels perpendicular to the ground but not restricted to land (like the flamethrower’s autoattack, not like say, elementalist Vapor Blade) when you don’t have a target.

The problem currently is that I feel like there’s really no benefit in making it shoot in the direction of your camera. There’s a handful of cases if any at all where it’d benefit you to be able to aim up, and rest of the time, it’s a hindrance because without a target, it’s basically restricted to being a melee skill.

[Suggestion] Flame Blast

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

pros:
- easier to blast napalm with it
- less likely to disappear into the ground if the target uses heavy loads of stealth
- easier to predict where it will go off, for opponents

cons:
- impossible to bomb on walls with it now
- easier to predict where it will go off, for opponents
- QQ from everybody that did not understand the skill in the first place

Your proposal is as good as any other FT fix as well.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

[Suggestion] Flame Blast

in Engineer

Xae Isareth.1364

An alternative would to make it ground targeted.

[Suggestion] Flame Blast

in Engineer

Posted by: JEFFARR.8163

JEFFARR.8163

Flamey need moar dmg
Buff#1 or change it completely
Nuff said
Also tool belt could change as flamethrower is rarely used in condi builds

[Suggestion] Flame Blast

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

I disagree, The toolbelt on FT is awesome.
3 guaranteed 4sec procs of burning that do not require to crit?
together with IP and FT #1 & 4 this is so much burn uptime that you can ignore condi-cleanses all together and simply re-apply it whenever you want to.
thief trying to reset combat?
trigger IA and send him into downstate with a couple of AA’s.
guardian bunkering on a point, constantly cleansing?
re-apply burn constantly until he sits there with everything on cd and goes down.
turret bunker on your most favorated point?
bate his healing turret and watch him melt while also cleaning his turrets with FT #1 (yes, it scales poorly with power, but the base-dmg is more than enough to pressure the turret bunker AND his turrets on the same time)

run FT together with bombkit and EG and you have all the utility and condi-pressure you’ll ever need.
yes, the cd on IA is quite long, but considering the insane condi-pressure it provides, it’s more than justiefied, and in case you want the extra aegis down in the tools line, you bring IA’s cd down by 30% anyways.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

[Suggestion] Flame Blast

in Engineer

Xae Isareth.1364

Can we not derail the thread?

[Suggestion] Flame Blast

in Engineer

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

I’m just curious if there’s any balancing problems associated with if we change Flame Blast such that it just travels perpendicular to the ground but not restricted to land (like the flamethrower’s autoattack, not like say, elementalist Vapor Blade) when you don’t have a target.

The problem currently is that I feel like there’s really no benefit in making it shoot in the direction of your camera. There’s a handful of cases if any at all where it’d benefit you to be able to aim up, and rest of the time, it’s a hindrance because without a target, it’s basically restricted to being a melee skill.

…what?

I’m sorry, but I don’t get at all what you’re talking about. xD (Well yes, I know that you’re talking about FT 2, but the rest doesn’t make any sense to me. Maybe it’s because I’m not a native english speaker, or due to me not using flamethrower all the time… or dunno.)

The only thing that confused me personally with FT 2 is (as I was using FT a lot in the Halloween labyrinth), that I only ever seem to get the blast finisher if I manually blast it and not if it blasts automatically upon reaching the target. Also, sometimes it looked to me like it would reach the target and then just stay there without blasting (meaning that I suddenly noticed I can still blast it manually after a while, though I’m not sure if that blasting actually had any effect).

[Suggestion] Flame Blast

in Engineer

Xae Isareth.1364

…what?

I’m sorry, but I don’t get at all what you’re talking about. xD (Well yes, I know that you’re talking about FT 2, but the rest doesn’t make any sense to me. Maybe it’s because I’m not a native english speaker, or due to me not using flamethrower all the time… or dunno.)

The only thing that confused me personally with FT 2 is (as I was using FT a lot in the Halloween labyrinth), that I only ever seem to get the blast finisher if I manually blast it and not if it blasts automatically upon reaching the target. Also, sometimes it looked to me like it would reach the target and then just stay there without blasting (meaning that I suddenly noticed I can still blast it manually after a while, though I’m not sure if that blasting actually had any effect).

You had two things happening to you:

1. It doesn’t blast when it detonates upon hitting the target because the fire field on FT #4 is too low to blast most enemies if you tab target them, because it it makes ft2 aim for the enemy model’s center, making it overshoot.

Its a pretty big design flaw.

2. If you end up shooting into a wall or floor, it’ll fizzle out and leave you with the manual detonation option, which will then do nothing at all. It’s a bug.

Have you ever tried using ft2 without a target?