[Suggestion] Grenades auto-attack trait

in Engineer

Posted by: HugoCosta.6735

HugoCosta.6735

Hello everyone!

Well, there are a lot of complaints about the grenades auto-attack mode, some say it was/is designed to be ground-targeting, some say it doesn’t matter, what really matter is configure it with your play style.

My suggestion is change grenades to be auto-attack with no need to be pressing #1 all time, and remove all ground-targeting, move the ground-targeting to a trait that you can choose it to be ground-targeting.

Sorry for my poor english grammar.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

If there was no ground targeting then I would finally be able to actually use grenades

I wish they acted just as they do underwater. And I also agree with having a trait that would make them ground targeted if you wanted.

in Engineer

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

Ah I see, I am on the other end of the spectrum from Gizmo, I like that they are ground targeted and that you can lead your opponent with them. I also hate the way grenades work underwater they seem to move in a scalene triangle making it so between 1-2 of your grenades are always missing your target, not to mention that the attack speed of underwater grenades have already been greatly reduced, they went from a great underwater weapon to an incredible disappointment.

But if some people wanted a trait to make it auto attack that would be ok, I just probably wouldn’t use it.

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

in Engineer

Zavve.8205

That is why we should have the option. Everyone is happy.

in Engineer

Posted by: HugoCosta.6735

HugoCosta.6735

That is why we should have the option. Everyone is happy.

This.
We should always have the option of “choosing”, not only with the engineer but with each profession in the game.

In my case I really like the engineer, but play as a grenade engineer with ground targeting for me is a pain, and the instant ground targeting makes this feeling getting even worse.

The auto-attack really would help me a lot, not only me but a lot of people too.

in Engineer

Posted by: KellionBane.4956

KellionBane.4956

I wish they worked like they did underwater… I would love my Engineer x100.

So tired of mashing 1 all the time.

The Guilded Coffer is recruiting. Send me a mail in game, if you wish to join for mindless PVE fun.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

This is what happens when slow, long range projectiles are auto cast without ground target. I’m all for eliminating the need to constantly press “1” but notto take away the ground target. the inability to anticipate out opponents position would kill grenades due to it’s slow cast, great range and arching trajectory.

in Engineer

Zavve.8205

This is what happens when slow, long range projectiles are auto cast without ground target. I’m all for eliminating the need to constantly press “1” but notto take away the ground target. the inability to anticipate out opponents position would kill grenades due to it’s slow cast, great range and arching trajectory.

The point is to give players the option to choose. You can still keep it the way you want but other like me can have the auto attack.

in Engineer

Posted by: Druitt.7629

Druitt.7629

I think you’ll get (legitimate) complaints from other classes that grenades are enormously powerful AoE and having them auto-attack would be overpowered. I can’t think of other build-defining AoE like that that’s auto-targetable.

As people have said, in PvP/WvW you’d miss a lot because people tend to move and grenades are slow, which might make a difference, but…

in Engineer

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

To be fair I don’t want our class dumbed down any more thanks. Nice idea, borderline OP and takes away some of the little skill required for grenades. Engineer keeps getting a bad name for itself, we used to be a skilled 3 kit class…then we were perplexity spam, decap noob, turret scrub.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

in Engineer

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

I imagine if grenades had an auto-target option, then one of two things would happen:
1) the player base devolves into “skilled” engi’s who still use ground target and “noob” engi’s who use targeted auto-attack and fail to hit strafing targets at range. Or 2) in order to avoid (1), grenade velocity is increased (grenade launcher?)

I do agree that grenades need some work, not because they are ineffective, but because they are not fun to use. But I don’t think that targeted auto-attack is the best solution.

Some other suggestions I’ve considered:
-channeled attack for each grenade (e.g. throws 2 grenades at 0.5 seconds per grenade or 3 grenades at 0.33 seconds per grenade traited, for a total 1sec channel. Can move while casting). This is similar to flamethrower, which I personally do not feel is cumbersome and annoying to use.

-Longer cast time on grenades and consequently greater damage and/or effect radius. However, this pushes grenades closer to an artillery weapon instead of an all-purpose weapon, while also solving #1-mashing requirements.

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

The point is to give players the option to choose. You can still keep it the way you want but other like me can have the auto attack.

Asking for the option to choose this is asking the devs to spend time and energy to recreate a system that is already broken.

Let me be clear, I’m not against an auto attack. I’m against an auto attack that eliminates the ground targeting because it only creates a broken system that is unusable as a long range or even a mid range kit.

The idea sounds good until we see the usefulness of the end result. And the slow speed of the scepter orb shows us that end result. I see no reason for a-net to purposefully create this broken system even if a small minority vow to use it. Then they’d have to create other broken systems for small minorities of other classes on the whims of every one else.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

We asked for this in the beginning for just the #1 skill.

I suggest that you ask them for a CDI so that we can get the dialogue going. We need support in the CDI thread to get their attention. If they start a CDI we can address these very old issues with the class balance in PVE and get this situation under control because if it doesn’t happen I can see this class remaining in Beta stage for 2 more years to come easily sadly.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

Ah I see, I am on the other end of the spectrum from Gizmo, I like that they are ground targeted and that you can lead your opponent with them. I also hate the way grenades work underwater they seem to move in a scalene triangle making it so between 1-2 of your grenades are always missing your target, not to mention that the attack speed of underwater grenades have already been greatly reduced, they went from a great underwater weapon to an incredible disappointment.

But if some people wanted a trait to make it auto attack that would be ok, I just probably wouldn’t use it.

They actually changed the mechanic of grenades flight for land and underwater 1-2 months ago and it leaded to very very bad efficient of nades underwater (chaotic launch), improvment of land nades (YES it got changed).

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in Engineer

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

We could use a “Read the Wind” type trait for grenades actually. Could also be used to reduce the fuse for bombs as well.

I could see this being an option between say incendiary powder and more frequent hits. IT would become a power v condition trade off.

in Engineer

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

That wouldn’t really be so bad for PvE.

Another possible option would be to give grenade #1 a cooldown, while buffing its other stats, to make it into something like the #2-#4 skills on every single weapon in the game. Something you wouldn’t want to set on auto-cast.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Hello everyone!

Well, there are a lot of complaints about the grenades auto-attack mode, some say it was/is designed to be ground-targeting, some say it doesn’t matter, what really matter is configure it with your play style.

My suggestion is change grenades to be auto-attack with no need to be pressing #1 all time, and remove all ground-targeting, move the ground-targeting to a trait that you can choose it to be ground-targeting.

Sorry for my poor english grammar.

auto attack trait…i’d be very offended if this was given in place of just turning grenade kit 1 into an auto attack.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Another possible option would be to give grenade #1 a cooldown, while buffing its other stats, to make it into something like the #2-#4 skills on every single weapon in the game. Something you wouldn’t want to set on auto-cast.

ya. it works fine for mobs that stand in one place and only move toward you but it would only be workable in pve.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

ya. it works fine for mobs that stand in one place and only move toward you but it would only be workable in pve.

Interestingly enough, this doesn’t occur when fighting mobs underwater while using Grenade kit so it’s very possible, and #1 doesn’t need a CD it has one and it already has been nerfed multiple times. I vote for #1 to be an autotarget the rest can use ground but #1 has needed to be an AT for a long long time now.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Interestingly enough, this doesn’t occur when fighting mobs underwater while using Grenade kit so it’s very possible, and #1 doesn’t need a CD it has one and it already has been nerfed multiple times. I vote for #1 to be an autotarget the rest can use ground but #1 has needed to be an AT for a long long time now.

it doesn’t seem to occur because mobs go straight toward you until they are dead. same with the above ground pve guardian scepter. So it actually does occur under water as well. The AI just doesn’t respond the way a human being does when they know they can beat the system by simple mini-straffing. Once your enemy stops being an AI, the AT on the #1 attack becomes near useless. This is why any Auto attack on any of the grenade kit skills should still be ground targeted. because we need to be able to anticipate and lead human controlled opponents.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

in Engineer

Posted by: Miltek.2104

Miltek.2104

Stupid idea.
Granades requaire aim to use it, learn it or don’t use it.
If you can’t aim, granades aren’t for you.

My answer to that sugestion: DEFFINITLY NO

(non-aim granades would be OP as kitten at melee range)

Trust me. I’m engineer

in Engineer

Dustfinger.9510

Stupid idea.
Granades requaire aim to use it, learn it or don’t use it.
If you can’t aim, granades aren’t for you.

My answer to that sugestion: DEFFINITLY NO

(non-aim granades would be OP as kitten at melee range)

And that OP-ness would last all of one patch. Then the attack would get further nerfed so that the number of grenades that hits the target is fewer just like was done under water.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

What about this. . . .
Grenades when untraited with grenadier would auto attack. Seems about right given they really would need to hit and not OP when you have 50% less damage (2 v 3).
Grenades with grenadier trait would require ground targeting.

in Engineer

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

What about this. . . .
Grenades when untraited with grenadier would auto attack. Seems about right given they really would need to hit and not OP when you have 50% less damage (2 v 3).
Grenades with grenadier trait would require ground targeting.

Though this gives the trait a negative feature in some regard (auto-attack removed) – no other traits have tradeoffs, so I’m not sure this is a good idea.

I still think increasing the cast time of grenades would make ground targeting less painful. It would also decrease the versatility of grenades by making them less useful for point-blank AOE attacks while under melee pressure (which we already have bomb-kit for that purpose). I think grenades are too versatile anyways.

What about this?
-grenade cast time increased to 1-1.5 seconds (number of grenades thrown per cast or damage/effect per grenade increased accordingly to keep dps similar to current)
-trajectory unchanged
-Grenadier trait changed to “Grenade Launcher” – provides a grenade launcher animation while attacking with grenades. Grenades have increased range (1500) and 100% increased velocity.

Because it’s weird to throw grenades farther than a projectile weapon shoots, and a grenade launcher would fit nicely here.

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Meh, just make it so we can hold the key down to have it fire repeatedly.

But i guess that would offend whoever at ANet that decided that a mouse look toggle made the game too action oriented…

in Engineer

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

I do not think this is neccecary. I advice you to bind your skills to easy to reach buttons. I have for example my AA on Mouse 3, skill 2 on Mouse 4, and skill 3 on mouse 5. Nexto to that my skill 4 and 5 are on the number 1 and 2. Clicking your mouse double, or tapping 1 or 2 and after that a left mouse click does the job.
Try it out i’dd say!

I hope my advice was of any use ^^

Have a nice day, every day!
Fvux!

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux