[Suggestions] Turrets

[Suggestions] Turrets

in Engineer

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

TL/DR: Give turrets a triple step utility: Deploy->Overcharge->Detonate (more key pressing but more option and control) and improvements in traits and numbers.
———————-

The changes to turrets caused mixed reactions in the community.
The main reasons seems to be:
– Lost of control and options with the automatic overcharge
vs
– Gain of possibility to use toolbelt and turret simultaneously.

Honestly both arguments are valid and a common solution should be looked into.

I propose that turrets are changed into a triple step utility:

- Deployment – Overcharge – Detonation
Overcharge CD should be the same of lower to turret CD when not detonated. Therefore keeping turrets alive is meaningful and detonation is an option for CC.

This would give engies more control over the turret actions and could open up good changes in turret traits suggested below:

Experimental turrets:
Turrets provide boons to allies around them. Boons are applied every 10 seconds and on turret overcharge. Detonating a turret repairs turrets around them.

Advanced turrets:
Reduced dmg and condition dmg taken by turrets. Turrets create a reflective shield around them when overcharged. Turrets have increased dmg

Chemical rounds:
Your pistols and turrets have increased condition duration.

[Suggestions] Turrets

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Great idea, ILobo. It is closer to what I was thinking, something that makes turrets valuable and interesting to play. Keeping all the functions under player control is a good thing for the players and for the game.

My specific suggestion, to complement:

When the turret isn’t deployed, the skill is “Deploy”.
The instant the turret is deployed, the skill becomes “Overcharge”.
The instant the turret overcharge, the skill becomes “Detonate”, until the CD for overcharge completes, when it becomes “Overcharge” again.

No matter the animation delay on Overcharge, the skill changes to Detonate immediately when activated. This way both subskills remain strategic, and the toolbelt isn’t touched.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

[Suggestions] Turrets

in Engineer

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

the best suggestion i’ve seen so far is to have them exactly as they are now, were they only overcharge once upon deploying,
but start the cooldown when they are deployed instead of when they are destroyed.
also let them be ground target deployable like they used to be.

this way when you want to overcharge them you simply throw down a new turret and it will overcharge,
the throwing part is to save you the hastle of being forced to leave the fight to replace your turret at a strategic point every time you want to overcharge it, now you’ll be able to throw it to the same spot you had it in.

this will be a nice buff because it will give you a nice fresh 100%health turret,
give you a way to overcharge and also trigger things like the shield trait.

i’d be fine if they gave the shield trait an ICD so you can’t simply spam turrets for spam reflects.

(edited by Liewec.2896)

[Suggestions] Turrets

in Engineer

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

the best suggestion i’ve seen so far is to have them exactly as they are now, were they only overcharge once upon deploying,
but start the cooldown when they are deployed instead of when they are destroyed.
also let them be ground target deployable like they used to be.

this way when you want to overcharge them you simply throw down a new turret and it will overcharge,
the throwing part is to save you the hastle of being forced to leave the fight to replace your turret at a strategic point every time you want to overcharge it, now you’ll be able to throw it to the same spot you had it in.

this will be a nice buff because it will give you a nice fresh 100%health turret,
give you a way to overcharge and also trigger things like the shield trait.

i’d be fine if they gave the shield trait an ICD so you can’t simply spam turrets for spam reflects.

This is an interesting option, but has a few drawbacks.

First, it removes a bit of counter-play as destroying the turrets won’t reset their CD. That is if turrets were any good in PvP.

Second it removes a bit of the strategy of detonating the turrets as a CC (traited in explosives) if you take too long to detonate them (and the skill becomes to deploy another turret). This could be avoided by making so that deployment of a new turret detonates the previous one. It might be a bit convoluted with CD of skills hidden from players behind secondary skill activation…

Third is that deploying a turret is an action (with cast and after-cast) and overcharge is instant (AFAIK) so deploying another turret to get an OC could result in a small dps lost (I might be wrong here).

The problem with ground-targeted turrets is that you can (or at least you could) place them on absurd locations that made impossible to players or mobs to reach them, leading to a lot of exploits.

[Suggestions] Turrets

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

give them bloody legs. it’s amazing how the same class in wildstar has the same mechanic with so much less issues.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

[Suggestions] Turrets

in Engineer

Posted by: Seteruss.4058

Seteruss.4058

give overcharge to toolbelt in same way as op said, just on toolbelt.
That goes overcharge→toolbelt skill.
Obviously will have to overcharge it if you want to use toolbelt but it may be more controlled, just saying.

Is it luck or skill keeping you alive?

[Suggestions] Turrets

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Best idea in a long time I wondered why that didn’t have that option. I’d like for a similar option be available for the gyros as well they seem to have not as much functionality for the same reason. Lack of control ui issues.

I would suggest that we have an overload for the gyros that perform an electric field.

I’d also like gyros when exploding to actually knock enemies back like turrets can or at least catch enemies on fire using the explosive traits.

Overload on the net turret seems to be completely gone now, electrical damage doesn’t exist now which is sad it used to do damage years ago when I played last.

TL/DR: Give turrets a triple step utility: Deploy->Overcharge->Detonate (more key pressing but more option and control) and improvements in traits and numbers.
———————-

The changes to turrets caused mixed reactions in the community.
The main reasons seems to be:
– Lost of control and options with the automatic overcharge
vs
– Gain of possibility to use toolbelt and turret simultaneously.

Honestly both arguments are valid and a common solution should be looked into.

I propose that turrets are changed into a triple step utility:

- Deployment – Overcharge – Detonation
Overcharge CD should be the same of lower to turret CD when not detonated. Therefore keeping turrets alive is meaningful and detonation is an option for CC.

This would give engies more control over the turret actions and could open up good changes in turret traits suggested below:

Experimental turrets:
Turrets provide boons to allies around them. Boons are applied every 10 seconds and on turret overcharge. Detonating a turret repairs turrets around them.

Advanced turrets:
Reduced dmg and condition dmg taken by turrets. Turrets create a reflective shield around them when overcharged. Turrets have increased dmg

Chemical rounds:
Your pistols and turrets have increased condition duration.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!