Suggestions for a fresh engineer ?

in Engineer

Posted by: Renegade.6240

Renegade.6240

I’ve decided to play engineer after many hours with my thief and endless nerfs to it, do you have any advice for me ? Anything is appreciated, crafting proffefsions, first skill points, anything
Edit: Order suggestion is also appreciated, My thief is in the order of whispers so that ones kinda out, I don’t know durmand or vigil really,

(edited by Renegade.6240)

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

Kits are hands down the most effective way to play Engineer! Unlock those first! Bomb Kit, Flamethrower, and Grenades are the best offensive kits! Grenade Kit becomes a powerhouse when you unlock the Grenadier trait!

Mobility is key for leveling! The faster you can get to places, the faster you will level! So put 2 into Tools for Speedy Kits first! That will give you permanent swiftness! You can also unlock a utility called Rocket Boots! This skill leaps you forward a great distance!

The Explosives and Firearms trait lines are your offensive trait lines! Explosives is better than Firearms! The Alchemy and Inventions trait lines are your defensive trait lines! Alchemy is better than Inventions! Your Tools trait line has a lot of utility and also some damage!

Learn combo fields! Engineers have many combo fields and blast finishers to take advantage of! Blasting or leaping water heals you, blasting fire gives you might, blasting or leaping smoke will stealth you!

Learn how to use Healing Turret! Healing Turret is easily one of the strongest heals in the game! The most ideal way to use it is place it down > immediately overcharge > immediately detonate it for a larger heal or pick it up for a shorter cooldown! Practice it! Master it!

Good luck have fun!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in Engineer

Posted by: Renegade.6240

Renegade.6240

Thanks man, especially about traits and healing turret tactic

in Engineer

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Vee Wee’s so enthusiastic and helpful. I’ve got two engineers and I managed to pick up a thing or two I didn’t know from that post.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

in Engineer

Posted by: Gattonero.6524

Gattonero.6524

Vee Wee’s post is plenty of good suggestions, definitely all useful things you need to know about engi. You can take a look on Elixir Gun too if you want nice bleeding and condition removal. You can field 5 on the ground then blast for area retaliation… Have fun!

in Engineer

Posted by: Nate.8146

Nate.8146

Pretty much what ellesee said. Kits are your bread and butter. The only elixir I find useful is Elixir-S. I stay away from gadgets as they are useless to my play style. Turrets are sometimes useful, but it highly depends on the situation. However, Healing Turret is a must. It’s the gravy train of all healing abilities. You should still try everything for fun, but you’ll find kits extremely useful. I’ll add the following.

1. If you haven’t already, optimize your key bindings. The engineer requires a lot of finger work to maximize his potential. You cannot do that using the standard bindings. To give you an example, this is my setup.
i) W, S, A, D for movement.
ii) Shift + Q, E, A, or D to activate one of my 4 toolbelt skills
iii) Q, E, Z, X, C to activate my 6→0 skills

Everything is nice and tight and I can quickly pull off combos.

2. Elixir Gun Acid Bomb can be interrupted by switching to your primary weapon while leaping. Practice this because it allows you to use the ability in tight places where you would leap off a cliff if you did nothing. IMO EG is the most important kit. It gives you a stun breaker, extra AOE heal, condition removal, and a nice powerful Acid Bomb. It’s always on my skill-bar.

3. If you want to steam-roll, I find the best setup is Bomb Kit + Elixir Gun + Elixir-S. The last 2 are mainly for survivability. EG Acid Bomb does pretty good damage while at the same time your bombs are going off.

Hint: Use Fire Bomb first, then EG Acid Bomb for might stack on blast finisher. Use tip #2 to stop the Acid Bomb leap immediately and start planting bombs again.

4. If you want to farm mobs, if there’s a zerg hogging all the kills, switch Bomb Kit to Flamethrower. You now just converted into a money making machine. Use Napalm and Acid Bomb for might stack and AOEs. Also, Flame Blast is now a blast finisher, so you can use that in addition to Napalm to get your might stacks up. Traits Juggernaut and Deadly Mixture go well with the FT. I usually go 0/4/4/6/0 setup with FT builds. More boon duration = more might stacks. I also have runes of the traveller so I get +15% boon duration and 25% running speed. Runes of strength would also work, but either way this is all level 80 talk.

5. I’m not crazy about grenades. I don’t kill things as quickly as I do with the bomb kit and it’s more of a chore kitting mobs, or people. So for leveling purposes I would put a stronger focus on getting Bomb Kit and Elixir Gun first, then Flamethrower next if the zerg is hogging your kills.

6. For weapon loadout, I play pistol + pistol almost all the time. Static shot is great for blinding (confusion proc is to short of a duration to care), poison volley great for interrupting heals, blowtorch great for AOE damage, and glue shot is a decent AOE immobolizer. I’m not crazy about shields. They slow me down and the Reinforced Shield trait does not apply with kits, so it’s ‘meh’.

7. With the new levelling system, you’ll probably find the engineer pretty hard/boring to work with as you’re locked to a single weapon and you need levels + skills to unlock. Once you unlock two skills and have some kits, it should start to get more interesting. At first, I would probably unlock Rifle Turret to help provide extra damage to get you levelled up quicker.

in Engineer

Posted by: gartz.7013

gartz.7013

I mained a thief since beta and have gone back and forth so i hope this helps.

Quasiscientific here! #1 engi EU and fanciest looking asuran NA!
When i started on engi it was pvp nade bomb condi P/S build! which is still good! but i played it offensively like a zerk thief would! which is thilly! if you play 3 kit builds with shield, like veewee said learn your fields! acid bomb and shield 4 are blasts so use them wisely! i suggest with healing turrets over charge or bomb kits number 2! smoke bomb is just thilly to acid bomb! it really is a hard change to do thief to engi (1200 hours on thief 700 on engi here) but once you learn it, it all just becomes muscle memory!

Yippie! Hope it all helped frand!

solo cheese engi/ex teef