Sum1 here have a full FlameT engi? Pls help.

in Engineer

Posted by: Quixilver.6307

Quixilver.6307

As the title said. I need to know if it would be effective. Like how much damage the auto attack would do, etc.

in Engineer

Posted by: Katlyntje.7962

Katlyntje.7962

Personally I like it. #1 is great for laying on the damage if a mob gets close, then hit #3 to push ‘em back and up the burning damage. The FT’s utility skill is perfect to use with the grenade kit for spreading out the burn damage to multiple mobs as well.

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow. BOOM!

Primary: Gizzmologist Saikka – Asura Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Quixilver.6307

Quixilver.6307

Personally I like it. #1 is great for laying on the damage if a mob gets close, then hit #3 to push ‘em back and up the burning damage. The FT’s utility skill is perfect to use with the grenade kit for spreading out the burn damage to multiple mobs as well.

Hmm I see. And how much is the range of damage of the #1 skill of flame thrower?

in Engineer

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

i usually crit up to 2-2.5k per auto on medium to low armour target, hitting up to 3 target, that with a power of 1683,

Then you have the 1 sec of fire damage on top of it, then 10% bonus damage if they are on fire. Fire from the auto is won’t cover the whole duration of the auto, but with traits and #4 of the FT, you should have lot of access to fire.

in Engineer

Posted by: Talbin.8305

Talbin.8305

Do a search for posts by Nakoda or Phineas Poe… they seem to be our engineer community flamethrower champions. Ignore doom and gloom posts about the kit. It is effective…and it looks awesome.

in Engineer

Posted by: Walorx.5129

Walorx.5129

FT is a main part of my tpvp build right now. Excellent kit for CC and stomping

Vöz – “Stand in the red circles, they heal you”
YOUTUBE.COM/VOZTACTICS

in Engineer

Posted by: Punkins.2087

Punkins.2087

for pvp, yeah its fine. for pve, everything is fine… who cares. play what you like.

Ive been using it nearly 8 months and everything else feels clumsy in comparison to me.

aoe knockdown / reflect on a 12 second timer is endlessly useful.

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

Iv been wanted to make a hybrid build of power and con. I figure it probably the best way to get the most damage out of it. trait wise it would probably be your standard 10/30/0/20/10 power build with the major difference in stats and sigils. taking the sigil of earth on one hand and the sigil of corruption on the other. Dont know the gear combination yet, but I’ll probably shoot for somthing like ~50% crit chance with fury seeing as its easy for the engi to get with both the goggles and the medkit granting it.

The play style would only really applying poison with the pistol then using the flamethrower for the bleeds and burns. I think the rifle turrets over charge might be handy in help stacking the bleedings.

I assume such a simple build has already been tried, but I dont ever bother checking out other people’s builds so I wouldn’t know.

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

you can also try moving your 10 points from explosives in to Tools for 10% more crit damage, and gear up more power/con once you hit 50% crit.

can’t remember where I read it, but unless you want to invest in going all the way to 100% crit rate, 50% is the sweet spot. so once you get that, you can start stacking other stats as needed.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

simply put your FT #1 will do half of your Rifle’s #1 damage

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

and? this is as directionless a statement as “ft does less dmg than nades.”

we do less damage than HS and 100b too…

so?

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

and? this is as directionless a statement as “ft does less dmg than nades.”

we do less damage than HS and 100b too…

so?

FT #1 attack= 2s +10 hits= full damage my damage=4000-5000

Rifle #1=Direct damage per shot =2 shots per second 2s=4 rifle shots 2k-2.3k per shot = 8k damage

just saying if players want FT as dps weapon they doing it wrong

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Rifle #1=Direct damage per shot =2 shots per second 2s=4 rifle shots 2k-2.3k per shot = 8k damage

The Rifle does not fire two shots a second. Go to Fort Marriner, run up to a Practice Dummy, and see for yourself. It actually shoots every .8 seconds or so—about 75 shots per minute. (I personally think it’s more like .85/second but whatever.)

More importantly, where do you get the idea that the Rifle shoots for 2K per shot?

Not every shot you make is going to crit. Unless you’re insinuating that the Rifle hits for 2K damage non-crit, which is totally untrue.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

just saying if players want FT as dps weapon they doing it wrong

ya … that’s what Poe and I are saying too.

stop expecting the FT to be a dps weapon, start using the FT as a utility

all we have claimed is that the FT damage doesn’t suck completely, it is sufficient for the playstyle of the FT.

of course we would like it to do more. who wouldn’t? never disputed that.

our point is that DPS is not the point of the FT, so stop crying about something that isn’t even there to begin with.

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

The Rifle does not fire two shots a second. Go to Fort Marriner, run up to a Practice Dummy, and see for yourself. It actually shoots every .8 seconds or so—about 75 shots per minute. (I personally think it’s more like .85/second but whatever.)

More importantly, where do you get the idea that the Rifle shoots for 2K per shot?

Not every shot you make is going to crit. Unless you’re insinuating that the Rifle hits for 2K damage non-crit, which is totally untrue.

1600 ingame hours as engineer

that note applies to FT as well not every hit is gonna crit and the smallest movement triggers missmissmissmissmiss on average engis

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

stop being average.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

1600 ingame hours as engineer

that note applies to FT as well not every hit is gonna crit and the smallest movement triggers missmissmissmissmiss on average engis

Not every shot for the FT has to crit to climb over 4K.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Let’s compare rifle to FT for skills 2-5. In my experience, FT comes out ahead with an aoe knockback on a pretty low CD, a long-lasting fire field, and a pbaoe blind. As far as utility goes, FT beats rifle hands down, and that’s why you bring it. And while it may not deal the most damage in the game, it deals a respectable amount (and stacks burns) to warrant using it.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

Let’s compare rifle to FT for skills 2-5. In my experience, FT comes out ahead with an aoe knockback on a pretty low CD, a long-lasting fire field, and a pbaoe blind. As far as utility goes, FT beats rifle hands down, and that’s why you bring it. And while it may not deal the most damage in the game, it deals a respectable amount (and stacks burns) to warrant using it.

and when combined with the rifle, you have that much more utility to weave in to the formula.

in Engineer

Posted by: rivx.3267

rivx.3267

Kinda sucks that they make most of our attacks low damage quick attacks then nerf all the on crit procs.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Hmm I see. And how much is the range of damage of the #1 skill of flame thrower?

About 3k at best, i know right epic damage….not, best used in PvE only and if something has retaliation dump FT in a sec..
My build
http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/engineer/?2.1|a.1o.h1.e.1o.h1c|0.0.0.0.0.0|1g.a4.1n.a4.1o.a4.1g.a7.1n.a4.1n.a4|31k.0.1o.63.1n.64.1o.63.1o.63.8a.67|0.u48b.a5.u279.0|0.0|2c.2g.2h.2w.30|e
Pick it apart it works for me mostly

(edited by Dante.1508)

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

About 3k at best

Looking at your GW2Buildcraft setup I can see why.

Don’t wear Rampager gear with the Flamethrower. The damage scaling to boost Flame Jet and Flame Blast with Critical Damage is way more significant than what you will gain gearing for Condition Damage to bolster your Burning and Bleeding damage. Go with Berserker instead.

And why are you running Sigil of Purity? If you have 30 points in Alchemy, go with Cleansing Formula 409 with your Healing Turret. That should be more than enough. Slot Sigil of Force or Bloodlust into your weapons, and make sure those are Berserker stat too. And the damage gain running Sigil of Accuracy versus additional Might stacking is a joke.

Most importantly, what’s with the rune setup? Emerald Orbs? Why?

Stick with that setup if you think it works for you, but there are much better ways to build and gear around the Flamethrower that will have your Flame Jet consistently climb over 4K and your Flame Blast do close to 10K damage every 5 seconds or so.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Dante.1508

About 3k at best

Don’t wear Rampager gear with the Flamethrower. The damage scaling to boost Flame Jet and Flame Blast with Critical Damage is way more significant than what you will gain gearing for Condition Damage to bolster your Burning and Bleeding damage. Go with Berserker instead.

And why are you running Sigil of Purity? If you have 30 points in Alchemy, go with Cleansing Formula 409 with your Healing Turret. That should be more than enough. Slot Sigil of Force or Bloodlust into your weapons, and make sure those are Berserker stat too. And the damage gain running Sigil of Accuracy versus additional Might stacking is a joke.

Stick with that setup if you think it works for you, but there are much better ways to build and gear around the Flamethrower that will have your Flame Jet consistently climb over 4K and your Flame Blast do close to 10K damage every 5 seconds or so.

I have Rampager for high Crit chance, purity as a remove conditions (i’ll check that trait) I had bloodlust, its just too annoying for me the fact it goes every map change or death made me feel its useless 80% of the time..

Emerald orbs because they are cheap (i’m poor) and give me a more all rounded character, I really can’t justify expensive runes on a PvE character, plus its an Engi it does me fine until one day it gets fixed…

I’ll take a look at gear i used to run a Zerker gear and found FT pretty much the same only dies more..

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

i don’t like stacking sigils either, but one thing Phin points out that you ought to consider is that (with the FT, specifically) a high crit rate is only useful for proccing effects UNLESS you stack power and crit dmg (zerker gear) so that your crits punch harder.

re: purity: is condi removal really that big a deal in pve? because in pvp, the purity sigil is a waste of space, it just doesn’t proc often enough when you need it to. strength/air/flame/leeching are much better options. but i don’t know pve from mittens.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

I have Rampager for high Crit chance, purity as a remove conditions (i’ll check that trait) I had bloodlust, its just too annoying for me the fact it goes every map change or death made me feel its useless 80% of the time..

Emerald orbs because they are cheap (i’m poor) and give me a more all rounded character, I really can’t justify expensive runes on a PvE character, plus its an Engi it does me fine until one day it gets fixed…

I’ll take a look at gear i used to run a Zerker gear and found FT pretty much the same only dies more..

Your Engineer is clearly not doing fine if your Flame Jet only does “at best” 3000 damage and you’re constantly dying in dungeons to where Bloodlust isn’t efficient.

If you’re dying a lot, or simply zoning around (like if doing Guild Missions) then just use Sigil of Force. It gives a flat 5% increase to your damage, which scales surprisingly well with the Flamethrower, especially since you will have such a massive Power value if you gear toward Berserker with a Might-stacking sigil.

And about stat allocation toward Precision: You should be sailing clear of 50% Critical Hit Chance with a full Berserker setup. Hell, with Ascended jewelry you could skimp with your DPS running a Celestial Amulet (All Stat) like I do and still have 50% Crit Chance.

Rampager in PvE is a waste—for the Flamethrower at least—because while Burning scales well with Condition Damage, Burning stacks by duration and not by intensity. Your actual damage per second with Burning changes little: by 25% of your Condition Damage value. Your ~600 Condition Damage in your gear is actually only adding 150 damage per second to your Burn. You’re shaving off literally hundreds of damage off your Flame Jet and thousands of damage off your Flame Blast for a marginal increase in DPS that isn’t even always applied immediately: Burning damage applications enter into a queue.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: JudgeD.5673

JudgeD.5673

I use FT quite a bit, and when properly traited for, can give you a constant six stacks of might. It works rather well in zerg fights in WvW, though in 1v1 situations, I understand it’s more of a utility. I’m not that good at control in that type of situation but seem to do fine in most PvE settings. I use rifle for higher sustained dps though, and it’s also good for kiting in dungeons.

The Robertsons – Julie, Lyana, Adrian, and Lewis
CrSy/LaWz
Tarnished Coast Server (formerly of Kaineng)

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

stop being average.

ehhhhheh i see what you did there.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Dante.1508

Fair enough guys good points i’ll check it out when im next on my Engi, i don’t really play much GW2 lately (got bored) but yeah i see where you are coming from.

Thanks.

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

well so far i aint died to any of the FT engies i met in wvw so yeh tough luck

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

About 3k at best

thats the double edge with FT you have to go full direct damage with it but without condition damage you are ridiculously easy to counter

with rifle i was dealing pretty much 10k damage myself around every 5 seconds myself 7-10ks with #5 and 7k with #3 best part 1200 range oh and no missmissmissmissmiss

(edited by Rezzet.3614)

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

best part 1200 range oh and no missmissmissmissmiss

stop trying to use the FT from 1200 range and you will stop missmissmissmissmissing.

get close and personal with it. trust me. it works just fine.

also, in what way are you ridiculously easy to counter without high condi?

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

best part 1200 range oh and no missmissmissmissmiss

stop trying to use the FT from 1200 range and you will stop missmissmissmissmissing.

get close and personal with it. trust me. it works just fine.

also, in what way are you ridiculously easy to counter without high condi?

i suppose if you run 409 with elixirs you’ll be safe

and im just saying a rifle engi specially with static discharge will obliterate a glass cannon FT user before he even gets in range to spray fire sure Ft has knockback but so does rifle and unlike rifle Ft doesnt have an immobilize .

FT is just a conditional weapon

but heres why condi damage most FT users i saw used tool kit to pull/ confuse before trying to immobilize and attack

what happened instead was me blocking and pry baring them instead for higher damage and then pretty much almost instantly killing them.

and theres the down fall of FT Retaliation thats an instant 3-4k damage you take per full burst up to 9-12k if hit 3 targets

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

FT is just a conditional weapon

Ah, there’s where you went wrong. FT is not a condition weapon. It rolls burns but mostly for the 10% damage bonus and the napalm field is best used to stack might. Also, FT#2 is a power/prec skill.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

That’s right))) Many people associate the FT with condition weapon. And although a flamethrower SHOULD be CD, the damage comes from Power and Crits.

in Engineer

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

I’m primarily a FT engineer and I run PvE, a little WvW and I’m getting into PvP.

What phineas and nakoda were stating about FT not being primarily a cond weapon is absolutely true. I started out with rampager’s gear because I wanted to up the procs and constantly lay on conditions and have 100% crit chance. I got there though, and I found the base 150% crit damage honestly wasn’t worth it even with the extra cond damage I was doing.

When you spec with berserker gear, flame jet is better off with crit damage boost since it has the chance to crit so many times per second. True you die more, but I found traiting regen in alchemy line and eating food for regen helps my survivability (since they are actually 2 different kinds of regen, both will give you life.) Just try to avoid red rings as much as possible lol.

If you want more precision, I go p/s, both with sigils of perception so I can get the 25 stacks quickly, then I just equip my usual weapons between skirmishes. I also use the utility goggles for the stun break and extra precision. I’ve gotten back up to 80-90% crit chance with potions, the perception stack, goggle skill and ascended trinkets. That added with 70-80% crit damage from berserker and I’m doing great in PvE.

To be honest though, FT has only done good for me on inexperienced players in PvP/WvW since you have to be a little closer to work your magic. Honestly Grenades, rifled barrels trait and Elixir Gun are great long range kits for PvP. Still scheming on a good build for PvP. I’d rather go for condition duration with my engi over cond damage.

Also: rezzet is right, u DO NOT want to use FT1 on someone with retaliation. Stack some might, Go have a snack, maybe go play outside, but please save yourself and all the babies by not doing that lol.

(edited by johnsonade.9547)

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

About 3k at best

thats the double edge with FT you have to go full direct damage with it but without condition damage you are ridiculously easy to counter

with rifle i was dealing pretty much 10k damage myself around every 5 seconds myself 7-10ks with #5 and 7k with #3 best part 1200 range oh and no missmissmissmissmiss

I like how you took a post talking about the Flamethrower in PvE and then started ranting about how it works in sPvP.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

About 3k at best

I like how you took a post talking about the Flamethrower in PvE and then started ranting about how it works in sPvP.

well still its a matter of preferences i still consider rifle with static discharge dealing higher dps my said damage was from WvW wich has the same stats i used for my daily PVE theres no change other than npc mobs being dumb.

for lvl 40 and under players FT is a decent choice tho

(edited by Rezzet.3614)

in Engineer

nakoda.4213

no, you are right, because maximum dps at all times is the only way to play games.

i played thief the dark age and splinter cell with an AK instead of sneaking around too.

PFFFTTT AHAHhaHhahAhaHAhAhAhAhahahAhAHAHHAhAHhahAHaHA.

LOL.

ohh, man, let me catch my breath.

first off, sub level 40 you can’t even get juggernaut yet, let alone juggernaut and deadly mixture.

so, right off the bat the FT is designed as a weapon for experienced players.

BUT .. barring that .. your reason for “sub 40” commentary is that, in high level play, YOU die to retaliation … which tell me that YOU need to go back to the sub 40 zones to learn how to stop attacking when you get debuffed.

what you do you think “levelling” up is for? purely to unlock traits?

no my friend, … it is to teach you how to play the game …

FT a sub 40 weapon … AHahAHAhAHHAhAhAhhahaHaHahah… hooo

/tearwipe

i needed that.

(edited by nakoda.4213)

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

well still its a matter of preferences i still consider rifle with static discharge dealing higher dps my said damage was from WvW wich has the same stats i used for my daily PVE theres no change other than npc mobs being dumb.

Ah, right. Where the Rifle does 2,000 damage every shot and has a 0.5 second activation time. And, of course. In PvE. Where mobs are dumb. Because zerg versus zerg, “Follow the Leader” style PvP is so skillful.

I mean, don’t get me wrong. I love WvW. I do it all the time. But even a monkey could get dozens of badges in an hour if they just follow the zerg. At that point it really doesn’t matter what you use. You’re just tagging as many people as possible without dying.

I also find your final point confusing: the Flamethrower is terrible at level 40 because you don’t have Juggernaut. The Bomb Kit totally outclasses it at lower levels.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)