Support/Bomb/Healing Theorycraft

in Engineer

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

Hey guys/gals,

Was wondering if anyone has tried this build yet, but I think it really could work.

My theorycraft here is for a healing engineer using the elixir kit for the super elixer and the bomb kit for AOE heals.

My point allocation is:
20/00/30/20/00

Here’s the link to the build
http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mMMzM9molNvMolNvmG0xG0cRzRqmo

I use the shield for survivability and if you are really worried about taking more damage a person could swap out elixir R for elixir S

Any thoughts?

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

in Engineer

Posted by: Maullus.1273

Maullus.1273

What Runes are you considering?

I would also suggest that you consider dropping 10 points from Explosives and putting them in Tools to pick up Kit Refinement. The extra Super Elixir is just that good, especially if you’re going for a healing/support build. You can use them back-to-back to keep a single pulse heal up, or stack them at the same time for better short-term healing. You’d have to drop the bomb recharge reduction, though. Just something to consider.

Mad Maullix
Tarnished Coast
Panic Time!

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

I’m not much of a build-crafter, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt, but you might want to knock off ten points from either Explosives or Alchemy to put it in Tools and get Kit Refinement. Makes it so that you create a Super Elixir field whenever you activate the Elixir Gun.

As far as bombs being supportive… My current build has Elixir-Infused Bombs and a primary focus on Healing. It’s handy for sure, but more just icing on the cake than the cake itself, in my experience. The healing provided isn’t going to outpace the damage from enemies on its own.

The class is always greener on the other side.

in Engineer

Posted by: Maullus.1273

Maullus.1273

I’m not much of a build-crafter, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt, but you might want to knock off ten points from either Explosives or Alchemy to put it in Tools and get Kit Refinement. Makes it so that you create a Super Elixir field whenever you activate the Elixir Gun.

As far as bombs being supportive… My current build has Elixir-Infused Bombs and a primary focus on Healing. It’s handy for sure, but more just icing on the cake than the cake itself, in my experience. The healing provided isn’t going to outpace the damage from enemies on its own.

Kit Refinement! What a great idea!

You’re absolutely right about the efficacy of EIB, though. Here…
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Elixir-infused-bombs-formula/first#post1109000

I came up with a formula for EIB healing in that thread. It’s accurate for sPvP/tPvP. (I mean, it’s accurate for everything, you’d just have to account for WvW % bonuses.) You can see that even with a significant amount of Healing Power EIB is not going to knock your socks off. It’s just one more thing. So, Healing Mist, double-stacking Super Elixir, Med Kit, Bandages… we kind of have to pull out all the stops to be effective with this approach.

Mad Maullix
Tarnished Coast
Panic Time!

in Engineer

Posted by: Sladeakakevin.4162

Sladeakakevin.4162

This is almost the same exact build I use in dungeons (not fractals), except I bring tool-kit for extra kiting and for the block since you are usually in the thick of it.

Although I do not have any healing stats on me, I heal for a pretty good amount. Enough to sustain melee classes that are standing beside me. I imagine with a lot of healing stat you could potentially heal a substantial amount. I also throw in kit refinement for that double super elixir.

Something to also note with the healing turret, if you drop it then use Shield#4, then explode the turret right away you will get off 2 “Area Healing” combo finishers. Which is a large amount of healing.

This spec only shines when there are other melee people to support. If everyone is ranged and you are the only one in there dropping bombs, it feels useless. You’ll end up being a weak DPS, since the others can take care of themselves.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rfreak.6591

Rfreak.6591

@Goloith.6349

I think you should consider dropping alchemy tree entirely because:

1st-traiting into EG isn’t worth it.

2nd-you took bomb-kit so I’m guessing you’re going to pvp, either way speedy kits is vital for both.

3rd-you want to use EG for super elixir then you just NEED kit refinement

4th-traiting into tools for 15 points (to get the trait) compliments the traits forementioned and the bomb-kit A LOT, because the big ol’ bomb’s devastating and allows you to manage multiple opponents in pvp, truly a must if you use bomb kit in general and want extra control (which is likely).

Anyway about healing bombs I’m not sure they scale on healing and EG’s super elixir doesn’t scale well with that anyway so… I think you shouldn’t consider stacking healing, you got already some from the trait line anyway.

About dealing with other classes, you might have some trouble vs ranged specced, even with the shield’s reflection and pistol, just in case I suggest you try out toolkit, pulls usually save lifes.

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

There are a lot of ways you can build your engineer for support or heals. When I started out a better healer-engi gave me some advice about a build that runs 10/0/30/20/10, with backpack regenerator, self regulating defenses, and kit refinement for survivability boosts.

This is what I use for PvE Support. All the relevant details are included in this website as well (mainly what runes to get, sigils to focus on, and armor nomenclature-Cleric’s). You get ample healing from your Med Kit Bandages/Supply Crate Bandages and Regeneration Boons (Rune of Dwayna/Healing Mist) when you stack Cleric’s gear. The Elixir Gun, while pretty weak, roughly heals for ~300 HP a second in Full Exotic Gear and coupled with Kit Refinement, spawns two which doubles that to 600 HP a second (provided your allies are standing in the circle…let them know ahead of time). Your bombs will also heal for approximately ~300 HP an explosion which while not terribly efficient for healing allies, can be used to bolster your own survival. Use the bombs to control your enemies with Smoke Bomb and Glue Bomb, the Flamethrower to push/interrupt key enemy actions (when monsters charge up for example) and blind, and the pistol/shield to daze, knockback, and blind.

Edit: Bad link. Here’s another site: http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mzMzM9Mz0mLNlMmGNlMa0xGaczsqmsm8kiU70z7070z7kiU707kIM70V7ofF70m8of2.
Click the Skills & Traits, Stats, and Equipment Tabs to check the information you’re looking for.

While I liked his build, I stuck with my own because of the added utility of vulnerability stacking. For PvE I run full healer & vulnerability stacking support in dungeons. If you’re interested in a tanky heals build then here it is.

I prefer healing bombs, recently its for the utility they have with regards to combo fields and blast finishers. I run 30/0/30/0/10 in full cleric with runes of dwayna, and my skills are healing turret, grenade kit, bomb kit, and elixir gun.

My build doesn’t give you the best survivability (that’s reserved for healers that max out alchemy) but it makes you tanky and gives you utility. Depending on what you tackle, you might tank with healing bombs or support with grenade vulnerability stacking. The elixir gun is just there for a cleanse, or a double super elixir in a tight spot.

The combo fields this build gives are many. Bomb kit alone gives you a fire field, a smoke field, and a blast finisher, while healing turret has a water field and elixir gun gives an air field. So how I usually synergize these together is to go bomb kit, then big ol bomb, and either smoke bomb or fire bomb. With healing turret you get the water field and blast it right away, then super elixir and shield #4 on the air field. So I end up giving my party a lot of regen, area might, lots of blow outs, area retaliation or stealth and a load of vulnerability stacking.

Last night I came back to my engineer from a guardian. Loved how maneuverable power shoes makes you in combat, decided to switch kit refinement for speedy kits, healing turret for med-kit, elixir-gun for elixir-S, and kite around for an hour. Had a blast and I noticed I survived a lot more.

As I ran I would slow champs down with glue bomb/freeze grenades, and alternate between setting down a smoke bomb (for survivability) and a combo or running around throwing grenades (and stacking vuln).

One post, three support builds which use the same gear and runes. The last two use the same traits as well, but have vastly different play styles

in Engineer

Posted by: OReilly.9473

OReilly.9473

heya theorycrafters

this is the build im running.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Sharing-my-PvE-Dungeon-Support-build/first#post1261409

with 1 change to the actual build, healing turret instead of elixir H.
reasons, an extra aoe heal+condition clearer ( cleansing burst ) + another aoe regen ( regenerating mist ) + detonate extra blast finisher for aoe heal in water field.

cheers,
bb

“you don’t quit gaming because you grow old,
you grow old because you quit gaming.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lunar Corporation.5720

Lunar Corporation.5720

Yes. You have effectively made a support/bomb/healing build in your trait points (assuming you go with healing power also in armor/trinkets). I would manage the traits and skills differently. Backpack Regenerator for example, scales very well with bombs, or elixir gun.

In terms of your skills: If you really want heals and dps, use elixir U with bomb kit, face roll. Trait for the recharge in the vit tree in that case. Then you will be a truly frontline, ogg healer.

One thing “support” classes overlook, —Support requires the know how to interrupt enemies and recover your teammates from a downed state. in this build you have Shield 4 and Elixir R (which is awesome). BoB counts too if you start it at the right time. drop crate is also a good interrupt, puts your teammate back in the fight with packs for healing too.

What your build lacks is any reliable condition removal. Elixir H gives you better regeneration (when it procs) and better healing than the turret. Plus the 409 trait makes it a better condition removal than the turret.

Therefore, Vit adds a lot to you. 30 points into vit would not be a bad idea. Ignore Rfreak. BoB is already on a short cd. All that 15 in tools would give you is a very reliable toss elixir R, (speedy kits, or kit refinement are really useful too)…

BUT I DIGRESS! 10 in power is a good choice. but 30 in vit may give you a lot more, with of course 30 in toughness (btw Reinforced Shield honestly is worth it).
Id drop power shoes. protection buffs id drop too I mean, yeah they rock and really help, but they are MEH. energized armor for example adds a lot from your already existing toughness…

If you’re in the mists, Water/Flock/Monk runes are great for this build. Leeching (on swap heals) and Life sigils are huge too. That is all.

Just call me Lunar

(edited by Lunar Corporation.5720)