Surprised at the Lack of SD Users

in Engineer

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-Z70;2cPFw0Q6oR-x0;9;4ijm;0236247037;4IN0;3F-03F-03a0P

I’m on the phone so hopefully this works.

This is what I’ve been using post patch. If you land the full burst you can insa kill other glass players. It seems especially good vs Mesmers and Teef. I tried using the Kinetic trait but it’s so situational and additional endurance regen is good for sustain. I expected sustain to be an issue but if you use all of the blast heals you have it’s not bad. I don’t dislike Vamp runes although they can screw you over.

Everyone is so focused on abusing a bug that they’re missing out on good builds that aren’t dependent on exploiting a bug.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in Engineer

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

I was running SD cele rifle for the longest time in both pvp and pve.

I would run turret, toolkit, rifle turret, ram, supply drop.
Cele gave decent burst. and some survival. sd stun, and ram 2 high damage moves+ a knockback.

SD rifle gained power in the shift to stats on gear. but lost a bit of ferocity.
And then we lost power wrench and rifle mod. ouch.
Prybar core in pve and pvp, and the shields in pvp.

Pvp. mod ammo is meh. Dont think incd ammo much better…
Aim assisted rocket is a nice random boost, and the explode on turrets.. but, thats it really in the tree. wonder if sd rifle should ditch explosives altogether.

Id go kinectic charge in pvp for sure.

spvp instead of explosives.. consider. inventions.
overshield, mechalegs, and bunker down. (or advanced turrets for reflect)

in Engineer

Posted by: Peutrifectus.4830

Peutrifectus.4830

This was my first go-to build as I’ve played a but load of SD pre patch. Only now I’ve fallen back in love with the flamethrower. My old favourite :-D

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I’m staying away from power builds until the barrage bug is fixed. After that I may mess with SD.

in Engineer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I’m kind of surprised too. I see a lot of power builds that take reactive lenses instead just for the fury, blind immunity, and being harder to lock down, along with alchemy traits that have a similar purpose.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Engineer

BurrTheKing.8571

Medified Ammo is actually pretty nice for Mortar. Lay down all the fields on point and you’ll get good ranged damage. Your other traits also give enough condis and your teammates as well.

Just an angry old man…

in Engineer

Posted by: Snakebyte.2804

Snakebyte.2804

SD Engi has an absurd amount of damage now, plus a bunch of utility it previously lacked thanks to the new mortar kit.

Gringo Pls, JQ Engineer

in Engineer

BurrTheKing.8571

SD Engi has an absurd amount of damage now, plus a bunch of utility it previously lacked thanks to the new mortar kit.

It also has a surprising amount of team support due to the double blast from traited Orbital Strike and water fields. You also have the rifle turret burst as well. The actual popping of the turret seems to more reliably make SD attacks as well.

Just an angry old man…

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Because SD doesn’t do that much damage, doesn’t work with all toolbelt abilities, and competes with two better traits!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in Engineer

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

I feel the whole “electricity” themed engineer potential isn’t being tapped. 1 trait? That’s it? Sad.

in Engineer

BurrTheKing.8571

Because SD doesn’t do that much damage, doesn’t work with all toolbelt abilities, and competes with two better traits!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Wrong, partly wrong, and not really if you’re going for SD.

So long as you time your burst right (just like Shatter) you’ll insta kill most builds. The exceptions of course are any classes with auto-pop sustain like Defy Pain and Vamp runes. What I find makes it more viable than before is that Mortar gives you a way to barrage off point before going in for the kill. It’s a weird mix of LB Ranger and Teef. Also, as I said before I’ve noticed that destroying your turrets can actually make the SD blast actually properly target your foe. I haven’t tested everything though.

Just an angry old man…

in Engineer

BurrTheKing.8571

I feel the whole “electricity” themed engineer potential isn’t being tapped. 1 trait? That’s it? Sad.

Aim Assisted Rocket isn’t electricity, but it does fit the theme I feel. Takedown Round does as well…but then you lose swiftness. I’m gonna mess around with replacing a like with Inventions because that way you could use Takedown Round and have Mecha Legs. You’ll also get Bunker Down from it which also fits the theme of constant explosions.

This probably won’t be as good as the build in the original post but theme wise you might enjoy it:

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-Z70;2V2Gw0R-oR-x0;9;4ikm;0236157058;4IN0;3F-03F-03a0J

Just an angry old man…

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

I played aheap of sd engineer when the patch hit, and it does hit insanely hard assuming your amazing at counting to 10 for every auto damage proc you see go off, its a huge problem for the current sd engi that half of our burst output comes from auto procs we need llegitimate traits that improve our damage output for sd engi instead of these automatic damage traits.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Posted by: Reicta.2178

Reicta.2178

Can you guys give some tips on using this build? I tend to suck majorly with rifle but other engis are bursting me to zero fast.

in Engineer

Posted by: Magira.6390

Magira.6390

I play SD so:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-Z70;0B-V2lq0l6JRFx0;9;4jkm;0248157058;4IN0;3IBl3IBl3a0m

Without Explosives, very weak Traitline, for SD completely useless. And of course with AED, our best Heal.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

You can find the SD build I’ve been playing here.

I’ll probably get around to filling out the Usage and Notes sections with all the gameplay details and quirks tomorrow, been rather busy lately though.

in Engineer

Posted by: Are.1326

Are.1326

Potential elite specialization right here.

in Engineer

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

Potential elite specialization right here.

The Electrician!

Uses a Staff as a rod to conduct electricity with!

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Engineer

BurrTheKing.8571

You can find the SD build I’ve been playing here.

I’ll probably get around to filling out the Usage and Notes sections with all the gameplay details and quirks tomorrow, been rather busy lately though.

This is the more sustain version that I use. I still really like Goggles just so that I can really make Teef and Mes cry though. The stealth is really good for sneak attacks though.

Just an angry old man…

in Engineer

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

As much fun as trolling thieves is, I really can’t live without the stealth plays and extra defense Elixir S offers for squishier builds. There’s just so much stuff you can do with even 5s of stealth, and it all really helps when facing other burst builds.

in Engineer

Posted by: Pazu.8320

Pazu.8320

Question: does the Analyze from the Lock On trait trigger Static Discharge?

Paul Lukische (ele), Pazu Plus One (ranger), Oh The Pazubilities (mes) et al – Sanctum of Rall
Champion Titles: Legionnaire, Genius, Magus, Paragon, Illusionist, Phantom, Shadow, Ritualist
Spectral Legion [SL] is recruiting! spectrallegion.com

in Engineer

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Everyone is so focused on abusing a bug that they’re missing out on good builds that aren’t dependent on exploiting a bug.

Except it isn’t a good build, it is a build that is vastly inferior to a mesmer or thief doing the same job, it is a build that shows one of the issues with this game, in that having a glassy build with a bit more health, a bit more armour and a bit more healing, a block, etc is worthless in a game with no healers and no DR on CC, so you are ridiculously easy to focus down, unlike mesmer/thief who have the mechanics you need to survive/disengage/drop target on a glassy build.

in Engineer

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

I played aheap of sd engineer when the patch hit, and it does hit insanely hard assuming your amazing at counting to 10 for every auto damage proc you see go off, its a huge problem for the current sd engi that half of our burst output comes from auto procs we need llegitimate traits that improve our damage output for sd engi instead of these automatic damage traits.

Wait, is that tiny rocket really THAT important? Inventions might improve your survivability by a lot and give even better group support with bunker down. Other than that, it will let you use AED , which gives you one more SD proc and another opener.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Engineer

Posted by: WhiteGlint.4897

WhiteGlint.4897

I was running SD cele rifle for the longest time in both pvp and pve.

I would run turret, toolkit, rifle turret, ram, supply drop.
Cele gave decent burst. and some survival. sd stun, and ram 2 high damage moves+ a knockback.

SD rifle gained power in the shift to stats on gear. but lost a bit of ferocity.
And then we lost power wrench and rifle mod. ouch.
Prybar core in pve and pvp, and the shields in pvp.

Pvp. mod ammo is meh. Dont think incd ammo much better…
Aim assisted rocket is a nice random boost, and the explode on turrets.. but, thats it really in the tree. wonder if sd rifle should ditch explosives altogether.

Id go kinectic charge in pvp for sure.

spvp instead of explosives.. consider. inventions.
overshield, mechalegs, and bunker down. (or advanced turrets for reflect)

Can you post your idea for Cele SD build?

in Engineer

ukuni.8745

Wait, is that tiny rocket really THAT important? Inventions might improve your survivability by a lot and give even better group support with bunker down. Other than that, it will let you use AED , which gives you one more SD proc and another opener.

im not sure what your trying to get at as i didnt mention anything about surviveability and the new sd engineer is much more tanky since you can take elixir S over utility goggles and have more damage then pre patch sd engineers but i play the explosives/firearms/tools sd version and take all the damage boosters i can get, i dont half kitten my burst yo, my problem is that half my damage is from automatic procs and i cant expect them to be available when i actually need them except from openers, i think that the fact that current sd engineers cant control the extra damage output is actually a huge hindrance to the build, given the chance to actually use them when id like to there would be a whole lot of times id have killed enemy’s simply because i got that extra damage when i wanted it.

essentially give me control over my damage output please.

Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

Can you post your idea for Cele SD build?

I would probably defer to someone actively playing SD rifle since patch, since I’ve been primarily giving p/p a shot. There have been a few sound posts, about sd rifle since patch.

But, something like this I think I would try.

http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgEDuALsBWQ~

Typically, I would use toolkit, rifle, ram, supply drop.
2 in expl for accel packed turrets kb.
4 firearms, 20% CD, rifle mod.
(sitting duck, mod ammo, rifled.. all good. (we did have too many needed traits for rifle 3 slots, 6 traits…)
2 in alch for invigoring
6 in tools. speedy kits, sd, power wrench.

build was screwed pretty badly really.
I made heavy use of the CC and toolkit shields for survival. And did have a big weakness to being CC’d and conditions myself.
3 spec also forces me to go only 3 lines.

But I could knock people off points all day. Cap while fighting with ease.
Down someone on a point? knock them off. ignore them while they bleed out..

As I noted, big hit with the loss of rifle mod, and power wrench. 10% off the damage of blunderbuss and leap. ouch. 10% off prybar, and 20% off the cooldowns on prybar, shield, and magnet.. not cool at all.

I only wanted explosives for accel packed turrets, and alch for vigor.. Vigor was nerfed so thats good easy enough.
But also have little use for deep explosives.

The whole thing needs to be re-evaluated.
first, Inventions looks way more solid for SD rifle then explosives. All around maybe even. my p/p might swap too. Mecha legs should help reduce the need for streamlined kits. CC reduc, as well. Letting us grab Lock-on in tools. the cleanse on heal is fantastic too.

Bunker down was a bit meh in the past I feel. Big damage when it hit. very unreliable. The addition of the med pack goes a long way.
Alternatively, advanced turrets might be great too. reflects are always strong in pvp. This is not a skill I have any experience with. but I would often run Elixir U for the reflect wall alone..

Kinetic charge and adrenal are both great. take either.

What to bring? hard to say.. healing turret probably again. the cleanse. weaker heal. so not as good for AMR.
TK? always the staple. good toolbar skill.. prybar was always strong. good defense.. but did take that damage and cd nerf..
Rifle turret. as always.
Ram. probably ditch it now.

Elixir U was buffed. giving 6s of quickness, and 6s of 5 stacks of might, or 6s of fury. along with the stunbreak.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elixir_U
Toolbelt skill is not targeted however. making it weak for SD.
Elixir gun? Fumigate was buffed with cond changes. Acid bomb was always strong.
Toolbelt skill is a stunbreak, but also not targeted. weak for SD.

Supply drop still probably for elite. I like Mortar, but the stun, and sustained damage of the drop is good. Extra healing now too.

All this results in a huge increase in survival… but much less burst. This was my fear on seeing the changes to skills, I wondered if SD cele rifle would have enough damage to actually kill anyone.. all this traited and slotted healing/survival. Maybe we should just go zerker with it?

ps. Gear shield/magnet in toolkit don’t count as “shields” for overshield trait. which is some garbage.. wonder if I should /bug that…

in Engineer

redslion.9675

im not sure what your trying to get at as i didnt mention anything about surviveability and the new sd engineer is much more tanky since you can take elixir S over utility goggles and have more damage then pre patch sd engineers but i play the explosives/firearms/tools sd version and take all the damage boosters i can get, i dont half kitten my burst yo, my problem is that half my damage is from automatic procs and i cant expect them to be available when i actually need them except from openers, i think that the fact that current sd engineers cant control the extra damage output is actually a huge hindrance to the build, given the chance to actually use them when id like to there would be a whole lot of times id have killed enemy’s simply because i got that extra damage when i wanted it.

I never trusted Elixir S because I don’t like long cooldowns, but I’m sure it might work well, however it’s one skill less you can use with Static Discharge.

What I was saying was that I wonder which specialization would be better between Explosives and Inventions.

With Explosives you have

Glass Cannon, which is something
Aim-Assisted Rocket, which adds more damage that can’t be controlled.
Siege Rounds which is good for burst but also gives some nice buffs with mortar fields and double blast.

On the other hand, Iventions has:

AMR, which lets you use AED without fear, which ends up as being awesome for survivability (if you don’t go down too fast, it’s 1.2k hps) and lets you equip a stun in the toolbelt (which means another opener).
Mecha legs, which reduces snares (and opens up another option in tools instead of Streamlined Kits if you don’t mind moving slower).
Bunker Down, which gives stimulant drops for everybody and proximity mines.

Now, I don’t know how proximity mines work, but if you already are close they should probably explode when you drop them, right? If this works, you have more sustain and more sustained damage.

What do you think might be better? A bit more burst or survivability (AED+AMR might be tricky though) and more sustain?

Oh, one more thing: how do you andle d/p thieves on this kind of build?

in Engineer

ukuni.8745

I never trusted Elixir S because I don’t like long cooldowns, but I’m sure it might work well, however it’s one skill less you can use with Static Discharge.

What I was saying was that I wonder which specialization would be better between Explosives and Inventions.

With Explosives you have

Glass Cannon, which is something
Aim-Assisted Rocket, which adds more damage that can’t be controlled.
Siege Rounds which is good for burst but also gives some nice buffs with mortar fields and double blast.

On the other hand, Iventions has:

AMR, which lets you use AED without fear, which ends up as being awesome for survivability (if you don’t go down too fast, it’s 1.2k hps) and lets you equip a stun in the toolbelt (which means another opener).
Mecha legs, which reduces snares (and opens up another option in tools instead of Streamlined Kits if you don’t mind moving slower).
Bunker Down, which gives stimulant drops for everybody and proximity mines.

Now, I don’t know how proximity mines work, but if you already are close they should probably explode when you drop them, right? If this works, you have more sustain and more sustained damage.

What do you think might be better? A bit more burst or survivability (AED+AMR might be tricky though) and more sustain?

Oh, one more thing: how do you andle d/p thieves on this kind of build?

ahh makes more sense now, SD engineer survives threw blocks and invulns alone since it has little to no tanking capability you die much to fast to get any real use out of the the med packs, the mines dont last as long as they used to and deal less damage so id rather take the aim assisted rocket and a second hit on orbital strike to burst harder, amr and aed is the only real benefit of the inventions line when using static discharge so its a hard call but so far ive found that straight up damage output is far superior to amr+aed, when it comes to s/d thiefs its difficult to say aswell, in 1v1 dueling i dont have to much trouble, my burst is huge and alot of the time since they are in stealth a fair bit my auto procs are allways off cd when i try to burst them so they can be 1 shot, in a proper match chances are they arnt going to 1v1 me they will just appear behind me and waste me real fast but the same happens to them when i plus1 a fight, as for using elixir S it makes bursting people far easier, i like to use orbital strike while stealthed then magnet people into followed up with the usual combo after a magnet pull and elixir S also helps me get out of enemys burst rotations sure i could get more damage out of something else but it wont help if im getting trained down especially easy by enemys because i lack disengage, another problem i find with amr and aed is the assumption that you will allways get the big heal, if your enemys are ontop of you healing turret will provide a good heal everytime and knock enemys back giving you some breathing room.

Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

redslion.9675

snip

Right, come to think of it it’s better to bet on burst and try not to get hit in the first place.