Swtiching to Pistol/Shield looking for some advice.

in Engineer

Posted by: DarkMatter.2861

DarkMatter.2861

This is the build i’ve come up with only been using the pistol/shield combo for a few hours yesterday. http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fcMQJAqelIqqbnwSrF1bJxoCdOkiCbYQKybdFVoyfKwWA;TkAqiMFJKySkjIJRjKOVMDA

I play mostly WvW / solo PvE and was looking for a change from rifle/elixir/bombs. If I were to drop the 10 in Tools for speedy kits and just use the medkit to get around would they be better spent in Firearms for say burn duration or pierce, or in Alchemy for 15% damage on elixir gun and flame thrower. I switch between the kits a lot to use certain abilities when they are needed. Does anyone use Kit refinement in Tools the spell on kit change, Im wondering what the spells are.

Any other tips or tricks id love to hear them only level 60 currently and im sure I still have a lot to learn.

in Engineer

Posted by: Spitwyld.1963

Spitwyld.1963

I’ve gotta say when I started off-handing a shield I wondered how I ever got along without it. The knockback and stun abilities are incredibly useful against mobs and in PvP. I use the flamethrower as well, after shooting my poison dart and static shot, I switch and get my flame on!

Be the change you want to see in the world.

in Engineer

Posted by: Orichi.9285

Orichi.9285

I’m a big believer in the Healing Turret over the Medkit. It gives you a solid heal with a short 15 sec cooldown if you choose to pick it back up; if you choose to leave it down it gives you respectable regen and condition removal; or if you choose to detonate it, it’s a blast finisher that can be used in conjunction with the elixir gun or flame thrower.

The Medkit does give you a speed boost and a condition removal, but it doesn’t really benefit your group/team as much as the turret does.

To answer your other question, Kit Refinement is best used with the Elixir Gun, as swapping to it will give you a ground targeted super elixir on your location—very useful!

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

My favorite hing about the off hand shield is #4 magnetic shield when I am at battle with multiple ranged attackers. Nothing feels better then watching all the enemies take 2000 damage at the same time in groups of 4 because I have high crit chance/crit damage because all of their attacks were reflected back at them with a well times use of the magnetic shield.

As far as the kit refinement spells they are

Elixir Gun – Super Elixir (Recharge: 20s)
Flamethrower – Fire Blast (AoE) (Recharge: 10s)
Tool Kit – Box of Nails (Recharge: 0s)
Bomb Kit – Bomb (Recharge: 0s)
Grenade Kit – Grenade Barrage (Recharge: 10 or 20s)
Med Kit – Detonate (Recharge: 0s)

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodtau.4672

Bloodtau.4672

In wvw, learn to love your grenades. They can do some serious pressure damage and condition spreads onto the larger groups.
Also, flamethrowing through doors, enough said =p