Taking camp solo

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Posted by: Mirmil.5074

Mirmil.5074

I have to say, I really enjoy playing engineer in pve and in zerg bu when I’m trying to have some fun roaming solo – I struggle. I use the wolfineer’s Juggernaut build (http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlcThatY1Vw+KQ7FL3F14I2EJBYDWABg4B9D5AA-T1BFABIp8zhLIQJ7PkmOiEV/BgHEwVKBJEggxA-w)
but with runes of fire instead of strength (much cheaper…) and Elixir U instead of S for most of the times. I have REAL problems taking down camp – more often than not I simply die overwhelmed by guards’ DPS.
When I solo a camp as a power necro I have tons of health (including death shroud) and huge nukes in Lich form (so I can take scouts in matter of second and then simply kite the rest); as a med guardian I have up to 6 heals on my bar; as a mesmer… well I can flip the camp singing “trolololo!” while guards attack my clones. But as an Enge I have nothing, except hope that I’ll kill them before they’ll kill me. One mistake and I’m down.

Is it normal experience or am I doing something wrong? I know it is a difficult profession to learn, so few hints would be appreciated!

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

Drop smoke bomb then the mortar 4 for double blind fields, you can also use the immobilize on bomb kit to kite the guards around corners while they are stuck inside your fire fields. The chill from mortar/grenade kit is also powerful while kiting guards around structures.

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Mirmil.5074

Drop smoke bomb then the mortar 4 for double blind fields, you can also use the immobilize on bomb kit to kite the guards around corners while they are stuck inside your fire fields. The chill from mortar/grenade kit is also powerful while kiting guards around structures.

So the build is good? No need to change anything just umm.. drop bombs and mortar?

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

yes.

learn the build first, & when it comes to tanking guards, nothing is better than blinds.
run in, aggro all, run around a corner & stack them like you would in dungeons. Then drop your blinds + napalm & spam them to death.
with upgraded camps, you should pull small chunks of guards, making sure that they don’t exceed the 5-target aoe-cap.
Do not engage enemy players when they are inside their camp in 1v1 situations. While you have a chance to win, it will always be a uphill-battle, so leave that until you know what you’re doing.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i los or move both scouts so theyre on top of each other, then drop my mortar 234 on the scouts and get on top of them. the fields make me “immune” to blind, because theyll always remove it, and 4 blinds in return so i take less damage. depending on if im power or condi, i then use big burst skills. in power itll be nade barrage, ft 2, nades 2345, rifle 35, and BoB (if mobs are against a wall). in condi i use nades 2534, ft 4, incendiary ammo, pistol 34, bomb 23. whatever is relevant and not an autoattack.

a long time ago when i first started taking camps and had 0 wvw infusions and no defense against guards, taking camps required blowing supply crate because i just couldnt take the dps (no mortar kit 2.5 years ago). so if you dont have guard stacks, they help far too much for any reasonable person to not say “power creep”…

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Posted by: NineLives.8725

NineLives.8725

You should switch bomb before you pull. Because this is the highest direct damages + melee + aoe + spammable attack we have. You can take every camps with just bombs, most of the time by spamming 1, once you master the tactic.

In every camp, there is a spot where you can pull all mobs and turn around an obstacle or making back and forth around a corner. Mobs will spend more time walking to get you in line of sight than damaging you. And you start with aoe blind to limit the few first damages which may hurts. That’s it.

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

SlyDevil.3952

You should switch bomb before you pull. Because this is the highest direct damages + melee + aoe + spammable attack we have. You can take every camps with just bombs, most of the time by spamming 1, once you master the tactic.

In every camp, there is a spot where you can pull all mobs and turn around an obstacle or making back and forth around a corner. Mobs will spend more time walking to get you in line of sight than damaging you. And you start with aoe blind to limit the few first damages which may hurts. That’s it.

If you trait for explosives grenades have better damage, but fire/conc/smoke bomb are great for conditioning the guards.

As a note, if a scout blinds you, your blind field will miss its next pulse, you want to be a step back from them and hit them with the edge of bombs or throw grenades a step in front of yourself. If there is a wall behind the mobs, you can use big old bomb at 4 seconds to knock them back into it when smoke bomb runs out, or at 6 seconds if you are traited for longer mortar fields. Flamethrower also has a second knockback if you have stacked aoes underneath the mobs, shield offhand as well. Plus flamethrower has an instant blind that can be used while casting other skills/cced.

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Mirmil.5074

Just FYI: indeed it was THAT easy: no changes to the build, just swapped one of the elixirs for the bomb kit and pulled with mortar behind the building. Then it was just smoke bomb and spamming AOE from bombs, tool belt bomb and mortar 4.
I think it was the fastest camp flip I’ve ever made! It took me about 15-20s to kill all guards (except the guild claiming one, which took another 5), on other professions it takes me easily over a minute.

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

Just FYI: indeed it was THAT easy: no changes to the build, just swapped one of the elixirs for the bomb kit and pulled with mortar behind the building. Then it was just smoke bomb and spamming AOE from bombs, tool belt bomb and mortar 4.
I think it was the fastest camp flip I’ve ever made! It took me about 15-20s to kill all guards (except the guild claiming one, which took another 5), on other professions it takes me easily over a minute.

Congratz, keep improving yourself & try out other utilities. Read the wiki & ask here if you need advice. As long as you keep trying, you’ll become better. And once you’re starting to tailor builds to your own “needs”, you’ll dominate most other classes in WvW. You just need to learn what your “needs” are, kinda a personal quest we all had to accomplish at some point.^^

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Mirmil.5074

Congratz, keep improving yourself & try out other utilities. Read the wiki & ask here if you need advice. As long as you keep trying, you’ll become better. And once you’re starting to tailor builds to your own “needs”, you’ll dominate most other classes in WvW. You just need to learn what your “needs” are, kinda a personal quest we all had to accomplish at some point.^^

Well, currently I’m trying to reconcile my love to the Juggernaut Flamethrower (perma swiftness FTW!) with my love for mortar – honestly, I LOVE this kit in wvw – If I’m lobbing my mortar shells at people behind the walls 1500 yrds away they don’t die from conditions or dd but from my love!
I will probably spend that kitten 60+ gold and buy runes of strength if they are indeed best things engie can have. I’m just curious – why not runes of scholar or Flame Legion?

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

scholar are fine and are optimal dps, but optimal pve builds should have about 4-5 blasts and fire field access, so you should essentially never be without might… so your uptime on the 5% bonus is 95-100%. thats kind of unreasonable with scholar runes. especially in wvw. if youre above 90% hp most of the time in wvw, your opponents are bad, and that isnt something you should depend on.

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Posted by: Dimes.6024

Dimes.6024

you dont need bomb kit to clear capm.
just find a pilar and kite – your FT#1 hits thru the walls, so you can just autoattack them to death while recieving no damage.

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

SlyDevil.3952

you dont need bomb kit to clear capm.
just find a pilar and kite – your FT#1 hits thru the walls, so you can just autoattack them to death while recieving no damage.

Until the roaming group comes to the crossed swords on the camp and you’re only half done. Bomb kit makes it faster and has no need to worry about rotating correctly when kiting.

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

If you don’t run in like a chicken with your head cut off, use smart pulls and don’t miss camps are so easy. FT/RT/GK in zerker gear, no need to kite or glitch walls

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

>smart pulls
>don’t miss
>no need to kite
>glitch trough walls

I’m not sure that you know what you’re speaking about.

Not kiting means to stand still…
“Smart pulls” has no meaning at all since you want to pull & stack the whole camp as fast as possible, and that is accomplished automatically by attacking any NPC in a camp, while running around the next corner to break LoS… just like in PvE.
FT does not glitch trough walls, it has a 450 cleave range. if your wall is not thicker than 450 it naturally fires trough. No exploit or bug involved.
& if you run FT / RT / GK “don’t miss” is impossible since you have exactly 2 blinds of your own, and therefore get blinded the rest of the time by the scouts in a camp.

And yea, camps are easy, but your build + tactic (since you essentially run into it like a chicken with its head cut off, funny that you’ve mentioned it) is a unnecessary hard-mode, artificially increasing the time you need to flip it, especially for t3 camps, and therefore the worst advice you could give a beginner…

It really doesn’t matter how trivial any content might appear to you, you’ll always find people who are new to it, and actually get presented a challenge by it. And if they ask for help, be happy about the fact that there is someone willing to learn & improve himself.

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

basz.6129

You can pull at least 2 scouts by themselves. = less enemies when you get the central guys = a smart pull. I have never had a problem with this. I don’t kite in pve either, I dodge and move from aoe, hardly the same thing. Don’t miss was over general statement I meant to focus on grenades specifically as when I first started playing 700 hours ago on my engineer exclusively account, I found grenades to be difficult to use as landing them consistently where I needed them required a learning curve. I use the word glitch loosely, much like everyone uses kitten. There is no need to be a kittening little kitten and hide or kite the mobs. If you move into the camp, taking both duos of scouts out first, then engaging the central npc’s I find I can clear the camp taking less than 50% damage in under 3 minutes. Sorry I didn’t break it down clearly enough. I don’t think engineer has a playstyle that is particurly friendly to those who need task level instructons to be successful. Perhaps you should reassess who is not real familiar with the class.

http://intothemists.com/guides/6273-static_dismay_v2

-zerker gear, I am only about half ascended, rest orange.
-Runes of the ogre, superior sigil of force, superior sigil of accuracy
-switch TK for FT and elixir s for nade and you’re ready to take this into wvw or pve with no problems and big dps.

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Posted by: NineLives.8725

NineLives.8725

Arantheal is definitly right.

“I think it was the fastest camp flip I’ve ever made! It took me about 15-20s to kill all guards (except the guild claiming one, which took another 5)”

VS

“I can clear the camp taking less than 50% damage in under 3 minutes

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

basz.6129

^ This is a lie. It takes 15s to get the whole camp stacked to then kite.

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

white swords appear at 30 sec after aggro. i can have a camp 1/3-1/2 flipped by the time they appear, which means at best im killing the guards in about 10 sec. including them running to me.

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Bomb like no tomorrow, LoS/blind. GGWP camp taken in 20s

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Taking camp solo

in Engineer

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

if i’m condi, i can kill the entire camp (non upgraded) in about 10secs. The camps in the borderlands anyway. EB camps are more open and tougher to ball up. And you don’t have to attack the mobs to ball them up, just move close enough to them to aggro. yuo keep you out of combat speed until you get hit.

if i get them balled up properly (which is easy), IP+bt+rb toolbelt+fT 1 on supervisor. Boom, everyone is completely dead. Use FT 5 to prevent the kb from guard. If i mess up the ballup and a scout blinds my bt, i get my other condis on him and exlir x them. ifs its tornado, they imploded with the condis and kb. it its rampage it takes a few secs longer.

An upgraded camp takes me about ~45-60secs or so. I still ball them up, but a cabalist always seems to get the pull at the wrong time.. If too many camps are upgraded, i just switch to my condi ranger, who can drop those turkeys more easily…