Tanky engineer for PVE

Tanky engineer for PVE

in Engineer

Posted by: oOAvengerOo.6714

oOAvengerOo.6714

Hello everyone,

I’m returning to GW2 few days ago and after playing some hours on my main character (Thief), I wanted to change a little bit because I get some difficulty with survivability. I was always interested in playing engineer because the system of kit look cool.

I started looking some forum topics and saw a lot of people complaining that engineer is not in a good spot right now. But anyway I think I can have fun with this class and start thinking about a build more fun than efficient.

My idea is to go for a tanky/condi build. I would like to try a set with Condi damage/vita/robu. I think about getting some zerk stat (or at least some power stat) with ring, earrings and amulet to improve damage.
I will probably use Flamethrower and grenade kit.

Do you think it’s a good set to kill mobs fast enought without searching for big number ? What weapon should I equip ? Any advice about spec ?

For the moment I am just looking for playing PVE open world, not aiming for raid stuff.

My engineer is 80 and I’m going to farm the HoT hero point to get the HoT spec even if I don’t know if I will use it

(edited by oOAvengerOo.6714)

Tanky engineer for PVE

in Engineer

Posted by: Midontto.5847

Midontto.5847

Since you’re not worried about big numbers, could always go Dire (Condi/Toughness/Vitality) or Carrion (Condi/Vitality/Power). If you only just want open world content just about anything is fine as long as you enjoy using it.

Tanky engineer for PVE

in Engineer

Posted by: Yobculture.5786

Yobculture.5786

It’s advantageous to either go full power or full condition because of how the stats work.

If you’re going to for a condition build, dual pistols work pretty well, but you can use pistol/shield if things really aren’t working for you. I’d advise Explosives 322, Firearms 112 and then Tools 312 which will give you good condition damage while also allowing you to use Toolkit instead of Bomb Kit or Flamethrower for the Gear Shield which is invaluable while soloing difficult content. Healing Turret should pretty much be on your bar at all times and you should use the Mortar Kit as it offers a variety of AoE combo fields which you can blast for various effects.

This build will also give you a good stepping stone to be able to get into higher tier PvE content since you’ll basically have the build down already. The only difference between the build I suggested and the meta build is the fact that DS is swapped out for the toolkit trait, and toolkit replaces flamethrower or bomb kit so you get more survivability.

IMO Engineer is pretty survivable already without any kind of tanky gear because all the blinds and stuff that we have, but if you need more tankiness I would suggest looking into getting the Elite spec and using a full zerker build. This will allow you to learn how to use the Hammer block/dodges effectively while also allowing you to be more tanky so that you’ll have more defensive skills.

Far Shiverpeaks

(edited by Yobculture.5786)

Tanky engineer for PVE

in Engineer

Posted by: theodon.6215

theodon.6215

Hello everyone,

I’m returning to GW2 few days ago and after playing some hours on my main character (Thief), I wanted to change a little bit because I get some difficulty with survivability. I was always interested in playing engineer because the system of kit look cool.

I started looking some forum topics and saw a lot of people complaining that engineer is not in a good spot right now. But anyway I think I can have fun with this class and start thinking about a build more fun than efficient.

My idea is to go for a tanky/condi build. I would like to try a set with Condi damage/vita/robu. I think about getting some zerk stat (or at least some power stat) with ring, earrings and amulet to improve damage.

Do you think it’s a good set to kill mobs fast enought without searching for big number ? What weapon should I equip ? Any advice about spec ?

For the moment I am just looking for playing PVE open world, not aiming for raid stuff.

My engineer is 80 and I’m going to farm the HoT hero point to get the HoT spec even if I don’t know if I will use it

Go look at the other classes forums. Everyone thinks their class isn’t in a good spot. From my understanding, engineers are viable in pve content and pvp content, but they’re not currently in the meta for wvw zergs.

Tanky engineer for PVE

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

Hello everyone,

Go look at the other classes forums. Everyone thinks their class isn’t in a good spot. From my understanding, engineers are viable in pve content and pvp content, but they’re not currently in the meta for wvw zergs.

The Ele and Warrior boards always crack me up.

Tanky engineer for PVE

in Engineer

oOAvengerOo.6714

thanks everyone for your answers.

So if I understand what Yobculture said, engineer has good defensive stat without vita/robu stuff so no need to go with full tanky stuff like I was thinking.

Is the HoT spec really intersting or is it just for more survivability ?

And not very important thing but does engineer good for explo ?

(edited by oOAvengerOo.6714)

Tanky engineer for PVE

in Engineer

Posted by: Midontto.5847

Midontto.5847

Is the HoT spec really intersting or is it just for more survivability ?

And not very important thing but does engineer good for explo ?

If you already have HoT, doesn’t hurt to give it a shot. Scrapper does give Engineer an edge to survivability, they’re also a lot more power based than condition. Hammer has some pretty sweet utility as well and gyros are pretty nifty. Overall it’s an expanded option to help out on your journey.

Any class is good for exploration as long as you have fun using them.

Tanky engineer for PVE

in Engineer

oOAvengerOo.6714

Ok last question, before starting my engineer experience, is tool belt really important to use ? I guess yes because it’s a specificity of the class but I will probably need to change keybinding because default one are not great IMO.

Tanky engineer for PVE

in Engineer

Posted by: oldmaster.3547

oldmaster.3547

Any class is good for exploration as long as you have fun using them.

That’s so true.
That being said I run a simple Condi / Power build with double pistol Firearms / Alchemy / Inventions. Elixirs, Utility skills and medikits grant a good survivability.
Is it the best around? Probably not. But I completed most of content without a team and with only Rare gear. And I still have lot of fun when I dance among the enemies while dropping medikits and mines at every critical hit.

Tanky engineer for PVE

in Engineer

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I’m Celestial and it works perfectly in open world PvE, solo story, WvW and low lvl fractals. I deal enough damage to kill everything that gets in my way and my survivability is amazing. I don’t even remember the last time I got downed…

Tanky engineer for PVE

in Engineer

Posted by: Kusumura.8642

Kusumura.8642

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqelUUhGvYtWwvLw6FLsFFdwf8JP4HWiBwYO2j1GA-TBiAABRt/Ad6BA4BAMnyv6U/BXlgdfCAM28HA-e

This is what I run with. My TTK is quite fast, my threat generation and damage mitigation quite lovely and healing-support fairly decent.

Feel free to swap FT for something else, or swap out shield for a pistol. Depends on the situation. As long as you keep at least 2 stacks of burning on an enemy, they will die.

Tanky engineer for PVE

in Engineer

Posted by: Atamaz.4195

Atamaz.4195

if you want to go tanky power is better; i mean you can always use rabid(condi, prec, tough) as condi, but as power you’ve got Big Boomer(explosive) that give you vitality and ferocity based on your power, and Blasting Zone giving 120 flat power; the scrapper give Mass Momentum giving power based on 10% of you toughness and Adaptive armor giving up to 5 stack of 60 toughness each, hammer have a lot of utility as a projectile reflect, block and a little evasion, Bulwark Gyro give 33% damage reduction and another proj reflect, Purge Gyro remove condi(also Adaptive armor give reduced condi damage taken) so there’s a lot of survival tools here.