Telling a story through Patches

in Engineer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

The engineer in my opinion has been the most interesting profession to watch as it has grown throughout the history of the game. When arena net says that the engineer is a very “Forward thinking profession” they mean every word of it.

With the most recent patch coming up the engineer is getting allot of buffs and changes. More so than any other profession. But the interesting part about this is unlike other professions where making up a reason as to why their abilities are getting stronger through your own convoluted justification through lore, the Engineer has a much easier time doing that.

For example just looking at the rocket boots it clearly tells a story of an aspiring engineer struggling to perfect the mechanics of those boots to be something useful. The first time I used the rocket boots they knocked me down and sent me flying in the exact opposite direction of where I might want to go. I knew this invention was faulty and this was a delightful flavor of the boots. But being true to the engineer they had to tinker and improve. Soon after that the boots were improved and could send you a great distance in the direction you want to go. Further Tinkering and now you can over charge them and go even further.

The Advancements don’t stop there either. Many of the toss elixirs were random. And further down the line of the profession those elixir’s formulas have gotten stronger and better. Now able to stealth allies or provide stability. Removing the random factor and making something more refined. Truly an engineer trait.

The Mortar Kit is another great example. A Powerful tool that would leave the user stationary to use it. Being the innovators that the engineers are they could see this and think of a way to make it more mobile.

In my Opinion the Design of the engineer is extremely interesting. And each new iteration of the same skill is easily justified as them improving their craft and never taking anything at face value. Always asking “How can I add rockets to this?”

In conclusion the engineer has a very delightful design that gives us story telling through the patches and its mechanics. I kinda wish Arena net had some nods to this fact in game. Would be nice to have some people talking about how these changes might have effected them.

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

Does this mean with the grenade range nerf engineers stopped working out?

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Because they have a portable Mortar, they don’t need to spend long hours hurling ‘nades as far as they can. So they don’t. ‘cause they’ve got a boomtube.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

It means that they don’t need as much upper body strength because of their inventions in other areas.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

We got tired of throwing grenades too far, so we made our Mortar Kit better. That way we can be lazy and not have to be baseball pitchers anymore. On the upside, our fastball has improved after two years of practice.

The original Kit Refinement wasn’t allowed by the Lionguard because a couple of engineers were mixing very potent drugs together and using it for enhancement. But they would overdose on it for the bursts of adrenaline and it wasn’t healthy for themselves or those around them. So in the end, it started getting regulated. Drugs are bad, okay?

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

oh it all makes sense now no more engineers running around with arms twice the mass of their legs

in Engineer

Posted by: Tor.1365

Tor.1365

The original design of grenades were very cumbersome and heavy, requiring a great deal of training and expertise (ie Grand Master) to be able to throw over long distances and throwing handfuls (3) grenades at a time.

After some refinement, the new grenades are smaller and more portable, allowing even the most junior of Engineers to be able to throw multiple grenades, albeit at shorter range. However, these grenades are cleverly weighted, so that experienced Engineers may throw them with greater speed and accuracy than was previously possible.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Side-effect of improving it’s travel speed is shorter range, you could say.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

My favorite is going from sharpshooter to sharpershooter

I wonder what must have happened to make such progress possible

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

We had iron sights now we have scopes!

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

We had iron sights now we have scopes!

In a world like tyria, melee combat is still the most common combat form and usually the most dangerous threat to engineers.
While the scope allowed us to be more precise on range, we’ve come to learn that the narrow visual field is not providing the advantages we need, when we need them, so we reverse-engineered our targeting method to enhance our performance when the enemy is close, to gain overall better combat-performance…

Sometimes “more technically advanced” doesn’t mean “more effective”.
Sounds like a reasonable chain of optimization for me.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Armor Mods → Kinetic charge / gadgeteer.

Instead of using kinetic impact force to charge our Shield-generators for a short Duration, we’ve come to the conclusion that this energy can be used much more effectively to recharge / overcharge our devices, to support retaliative responses rather than defensive ones.
This has also lead to the exchange of additional batteries for our gadgets, in favor of kinetic inertial converters, that allow much higher Power output for our gadgets, but in turn can not hold their charge beyond 1 application, nor can be pre-charged before combat. These inertial converters are still in the testing phase, and we have to test how useful this modification in practice actually will be, especially since the effects of overcharged gadgets are generally unknow (and void their guarantee).

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.