The age of the engineer?!?

in Engineer

Posted by: Jester.1236

Jester.1236

A guild mate of mine, said in guild chat today. “Whats up with all the Engineers latley?” I have to admit he’s right! I’m seeing so many more engineers. More then any time then i’ve ever seen. In Spvp and WvW i’m seeing engineers everywhere. So new players, pay no mind to the doom and gloom on the boards sometimes. The age of Engineer is upon us People are playing them because they are affective, and fun! So welcome all you new Engineers!

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

What’s up with all the engineers lately? Well, people may eventually get bored to mindlessly spin their greatswords for great justice.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I would just like to point out…

I was an engie before it was cool

in Engineer

Posted by: fishybill.6908

fishybill.6908

As has been said, its likely people are bored of cheese and fancy trying something new, they won’t last long when they realise the skill cap is higher than spamming 222222

in Engineer

Posted by: Husanak.3769

Husanak.3769

I have one of everything else at 80… then I got around to engi.

Really wish I had rolled the engi first.

Sure some of the mechanics are clunky… not every option build wise is going to work (which is how a more advanced class should work anyway)

Still all the miss fires and misshapes… are all in character. You can completely role play the bumbling medieval tinkerer from every bad holy wood movie. Ya know the guy that screws up a bunch but pulls off a few kegs of black powder or some other silly gadget, for the Deus Ex Machina ending.

in Engineer

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

The Engis are here because we’re a good class. We’ve always been a good, if not overpowered class. Anyone who has said otherwise has no idea what they are talking about. 100nades? HGH grenade? Static Discharge? Now we have turrets? Heal bunkers?

Engis are and have always been one of the best classes.

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

in Engineer

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

I see a ton of them in tPvP. Almost every game, each time has atleast one, sometimes more. Though in WvW I still see very few.

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

The Engis are here because we’re a good class. We’ve always been a good, if not overpowered class. Anyone who has said otherwise has no idea what they are talking about. 100nades? HGH grenade? Static Discharge? Now we have turrets? Heal bunkers?

Not sure if serious… Hope not…

Engineers are fun to play, people saw a lot of bulletpoints for Engineer in the march 26 update and figured “ow, so they are fixed/buffed now”. Presuming an incomming bandwagon after what happend when ANet started with such massive lists for Ele’s. Who went from a meh profession to pretty kitten good.

This didnt happen for Engineer. Not that im noticing any serious increase in Engineers, especially not in WvW. It’ll die off soon enough, its only been two weeks. Soon these rerolls reach lv80, realize they cant “l2p” to be as good as their other profession they rerolled from, and switch right back for an easier time gettig better performance.

in Engineer

Posted by: bromi.7809

bromi.7809

they realise the skill cap is higher than spamming 222222

Skill cap of facerolling HGH condi gren is extremely low. I blame exactly it for massive engi spawn.

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Skill cap of facerolling HGH condi gren is extremely low. I blame exactly it for massive engi spawn.

Nope. Using grenades properly takes more practice than anything else I’ve encountered in this game.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in Engineer

Posted by: Wuffles.5319

Wuffles.5319

Yeah, what he said.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

LOL. I’ve heard this so much recently. I am not kidding when I say that HgH has the highest skill floor and skill cap in the game ATM. NOBODY lands all grenades. I have 4k games on my engi, at least 3k with grenades. I still miss a lot of grenades. It’s called a skillshot for a reason friend.

And as far as the topic itself goes, I think it’s because of the steady buffs and a bunch of people (mainly me) SCREAMING that HGH is the best build in the entire kittenin’ game in tourneys. People are just now starting to believe it and actually play my permutation of the build.

It’s been slow, but ever since the smoke bomb nerf a wide variety of builds became viable because of buffs. Most important of which is the addition of sigils on kits.

I just pray we have another option when the nerfs come down.

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

in Engineer

fishybill.6908

Probably the most ridiculous statement made on the Engi forums to date, you probably mean hotjoin, any decent player will just move out of the way of the incredibly slow moving blobs unless they are point blank!

in Engineer

Posted by: Sepahbod.4653

Sepahbod.4653

If you feel underpowered as an engineer, then the problem lies with you. It just isn’t the profession for you. Because there is nothing inherently weak with the profession. It has a high learning curve and it requires a person that can put out a high amount of actions per minute.

Feel free to provide constructive criticism and suggestions, but please, stop your kittening whining.

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

LOL. I’ve heard this so much recently. I am not kidding when I say that HgH has the highest skill floor and skill cap in the game ATM. NOBODY lands all grenades. I have 4k games on my engi, at least 3k with grenades. I still miss a lot of grenades. It’s called a skillshot for a reason friend.

And as far as the topic itself goes, I think it’s because of the steady buffs and a bunch of people (mainly me) SCREAMING that HGH is the best build in the entire kittenin’ game in tourneys. People are just now starting to believe it and actually play my permutation of the build.

It’s been slow, but ever since the smoke bomb nerf a wide variety of builds became viable because of buffs. Most important of which is the addition of sigils on kits.

You should try run a 4 kit build then, in special a 4 kit build with a grenade kit in! ;D HGH Nade kit ain’t the hardest build to play for an Engineer, but it for sure ain’t easymode at all, anything useing a nade kit require quite the skill level, that’s for kitten sure!

in Engineer

fishybill.6908

If you feel underpowered as an engineer, then the problem lies with you. It just isn’t the profession for you. Because there is nothing inherently weak with the profession. It has a high learning curve and it requires a person that can put out a high amount of actions per minute.

Feel free to provide constructive criticism and suggestions, but please, stop your kittening whining.

Not sure what post this is in response to?

Who is whining? Someone made a comment saying landing grenades effectively was ezmode, I and others simply disagree, I too have thousands of games on Engi and love it, quite simply it’s not as easy as people make out, to be honest I like it that way!

in Engineer

Sepahbod.4653

It’s not a response to any post, more a general statement in the tone of the thread. Agreeing that engineers are fine, so whiners stop whining. You have to agree, we have a lot of whining going on.

in Engineer

Sepahbod.4653

Landing grenades is not easy mode no, I curse loudly when I have thrown away my grenade barrage and some kitten pulls my target away! Even more so after I took the trouble of net shot my target! My biggest grip with Grenade kit is the pain it inflicts on my hand :/

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

engineers got some attention, in fact: they recently got more attention than they had for a long long time.

So people are trying out their engineers again. Players are testing the ‘improved’ turrets, many are giving the rumoured HGH condi burst a go.

It’s not surprising that we see much more engineers now.
I only have these two questions about that rising:
1. How many different builds do we really see?
2. How long will this last? Will we reach a point where most realise it’s not all that easy mode still?

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

fishybill.6908

I agree there have been some whines, mostly about kit refinement and 100nades which on reflection I think Anet considered bugs, much like the double pop on FT 2.

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I tried Engineer at launch & couldn’t figure it out. Seemed too disjointed. So I ran with a Ranger.

Fast forward a few months and being familiar & comfortable with the combat mechanics. Engineer is my fav class. It’s unique, dynamic, and isn’t a faceroll OP boring class.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

2. How long will this last? Will we reach a point where most realise it’s not all that easy mode still?

1. I’m on Gunnar’s Hold (EU) server, and i don’t see that many engineers running around, in LA or events/dungeons… There’s time i joke with guildies about being the only engineer on Gunnar’s! But even when i run dungeon with gw2lfg and i get people from other servers, i usually end to be the only engineer in party.
2. It won’t last long, i see some more engi in wvw and they ends to be my easiest prey right after rangers and warriors, wich means, as some said before me, most of the new engis in town are just givint it a try after having read the recent patch notes.

in Engineer

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

You should try run a 4 kit build then, in special a 4 kit build with a grenade kit in! ;D HGH Nade kit ain’t the hardest build to play for an Engineer, but it for sure ain’t easymode at all, anything useing a nade kit require quite the skill level, that’s for kitten sure!

Yes it is, switching between 4 kits is not skill dependant, anyone playing engineer for a few weeks will do it perfectly fine without thinking.

On the other hand you will never land every grenade, like he said above they’re called skillshots for a reason, and grenades are the hardest ones in this game.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

@Spiuk: Just asumeing your right, and that grenades indeed are the hardest skill to land in the game (which I would only agree with if at range, at melee even bombs is harder to land, then the nades, because of it’s explosion delay)!

But we say they are the hardest which is quite fair, then a 4 kit builds running let’s say: Medkit, Toolkit, Bombkit and Nade kit, still a way harder build to play then the HGH nade build, which was my point! Kit’s will allways be harder to use then the ELixirs :P
Even then I would still claim that a 4 kit build even without a build in Nade kit is harder to manage prober, then it is to play a HGH nade build (Done both a power and condition variant of it)! Simply because you need to swap in and out of different ranges, remeber CD and be fast enough on your fingers to time and use every kit to it’s maximum! Which ain’t a “skill shot”, but it’s still “skill based” to play like that

Does that mean I think HGH Grenade build is easy to play? No not at all, it’s a super hard build to master, and requrie a ton of skill :P It’s simply not THE hardest

in Engineer

MrForz.1953

1. The few engineers I ever meet are P/P, absolutely all of them, and they’ve had big troubles with the might stacking + condition removal while trying to use the Elixirs for their intended uses, leading to a total disorder from their part.
2. It won’t last long because Mesmers are still overpowered in any plane of this game and other classes are nearly as efficient as us with 70% less efforts, the Elementalists just being much more mobile than us.
3. Yes.

(edited by MrForz.1953)

in Engineer

Posted by: Ambrecombe.4398

Ambrecombe.4398

I wen’t from a Warrior (NO! not mighty greatsword Berseker!) Riffle/Swords x2 to a full turret engineer a couple of months ago.

While I liked my Warrior, a lot, he was unfortunatly too fragile in combat, not that he couldn’t withstand powerfull hits, but had instead a terrible recovery rate that made him very impractical in explorable dongeons. I also disliked the fact he had very poor utilities in group unless you went full in the the Tactics traitline with shouts or banners.

So I went for an engy, because I like turrets, and I just can’t play my warrior anymore, because let’s be clear, it is just boring to play in group. Now I have some great utilities, controls while also beeing more surviable. Ok, it is probably not as effective as an elementalist or a guardian, but it has its own twist that makes this class enjoyable to play. My biggest issue commes probably from the fact I don’t want to play with kits and I find the pistol/shield rather soft when it commes to DPS, that’s why my turrets are helping out with the burning! (s)_(s)

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

\My biggest issue commes probably from the fact I don’t want to play with kits and I find the pistol/shield rather soft when it commes to DPS, that’s why my turrets are helping out with the burning! (s)_(s)

I use P/P because pistol #4 hits hard and applies a burn. Couple that with Rocket Kick (toolbelt) and you have a pretty long duration burn that hits hard. I don’t use turrets so I can’t speak to them, but my survivability comes not from a shield but from Static Shock blinds, Glue kites, FT knockback, and FT pbaoe blind.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

@Spiuk: Just asumeing your right, and that grenades indeed are the hardest skill to land in the game (which I would only agree with if at range, at melee even bombs is harder to land, then the nades, because of it’s explosion delay)!

But we say they are the hardest which is quite fair, then a 4 kit builds running let’s say: Medkit, Toolkit, Bombkit and Nade kit, still a way harder build to play then the HGH nade build, which was my point! Kit’s will allways be harder to use then the ELixirs :P
Even then I would still claim that a 4 kit build even without a build in Nade kit is harder to manage prober, then it is to play a HGH nade build (Done both a power and condition variant of it)! Simply because you need to swap in and out of different ranges, remeber CD and be fast enough on your fingers to time and use every kit to it’s maximum! Which ain’t a “skill shot”, but it’s still “skill based” to play like that

Does that mean I think HGH Grenade build is easy to play? No not at all, it’s a super hard build to master, and requrie a ton of skill :P It’s simply not THE hardest

Of course it’s not the hardest. It’s just the hardest of the builds that actually remain viable, which I guess isn’t saying much because there aren’t many viable ones left in the game

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

in Engineer

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

My engineer is fun. Takes alot of work to do well in WvW. I can load up my thief or elemental and just roll faces with half the effort. Its just simply a class that takes more effort to get similar results.

in Engineer

Posted by: ReqX.3178

ReqX.3178

Takes alot of work to do well in WvW. I can load up my thief or elemental and just roll faces with half the effort. Its just simply a class that takes more effort to get similar results.

Makes me sad but scroll back some months and you can read the same blabla on ele forum about skill cap, half the effort etc. . Truth is, that gw2 is not hard at all anyway:-)
Dodging is a great mechanic but the amount of available skills (hotbar) just makes me laugh

Xefarya – X [REQ]uiem X – Riverside
dangerdoom.3862: We all know your setup by now:
2 guardians, 2 mesmers, 1 warrior and 3 forumtrolls

in Engineer

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

If the “age of the engineer” means seeing one enemy engineer a night in WvW then it’s not a very impressive age. When I start seeing more engineer turrets than memser clones, I’ll consider it the “age of the engineer.”

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

in Engineer

Posted by: ShaunZ.1098

ShaunZ.1098

I can verify that

Gremmil – Fort Aspenwood Engineer
It’s [NERF] or nothing!

in Engineer

Posted by: Baldric.6781

Baldric.6781

Don’t worry, when they nerf the HGH build, you won’t see engis anymore .

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I can verify that

*bro fist *

I play some weird semi-tanky version of the engie so at least I’ll be around lol

in Engineer

MrForz.1953

I play some weird semi-tanky version of the engie so at least I’ll be around lol

Many will eventually be around. Really don’t know what else I’d main really, too… generic, mainstream, boring.

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

One one one one three two two two one one or six one one one one three two two five one two

im playing my warrior.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I just got my Engie to level 60 and dumped my points into the Explosion tree, and I’m not loving my Grenadier. I run pistol/Shield (which I almost never use), and then Rocket Turret, Grenades, and Elixer Gun. I have the ‘Nades maxed for range, refresh, etc. I’m just loving the hell out of pelting enemies with torrents of grenades at 1500 range, especially on top of walls.

Can it be tricky to target moving enemies at long ranges? Sure, and it should be, but so long as they have something to keep them occupied at that distance, or if you fight them at melee-ish range, they’re brilliant. Playing an Engineer is more complex than some classes, but it’s still got nothing on the headache that is a Mesmer.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Engineer

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

Not sure if serious… Hope not…

Engineers are fun to play, people saw a lot of bulletpoints for Engineer in the march 26 update and figured “ow, so they are fixed/buffed now”. Presuming an incomming bandwagon after what happend when ANet started with such massive lists for Ele’s. Who went from a meh profession to pretty kitten good.

This didnt happen for Engineer. Not that im noticing any serious increase in Engineers, especially not in WvW. It’ll die off soon enough, its only been two weeks. Soon these rerolls reach lv80, realize they cant “l2p” to be as good as their other profession they rerolled from, and switch right back for an easier time gettig better performance.

I’m completely serious. If you can’t get engi to work that’s your own fault. It takes practice, but it can still pull some OP stuff in both PvP and PvE. Especially PvE. Even in WvW it’s underutilized because it’s completely unknown. How many engineers do you know use deployable turrets to take out ACs placed too far away? I’m sure you’ve seen Grenade engis, right? We’ve got a couple blast finishers in our utilities that don’t put anything on recharge if we’re not in combat (Big Ol Bomb and Shockwave). Mortar can smack people off of flame rams hitting a gate. Elixir S + Gear Shield + Toss Elixir S can get you past HUGE zergs attacking a gate. There are a ridiculous amount of things Engis can pull and it’s because it’s difficult that no one knows about them. Just because everyone can’t pull it off doesn’t make certain builds not OP. HGH grenade is just plain awesome. Personally, I go for crit damage Grenades rather than condition damage in PvE.

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

I would like to point out…

I will still be an engineer when it stops being cool.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

The age of Engineer is upon us

Can’t be; I distinctly remember people lamenting the death of the engineer after last month’s patch.