The first annual Hobo-sack protest rally!

in Engineer

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

Okay, just got in (been out of town) so I can put a little more focus on this. I think I’ll go ahead and throw out a few server ideas. Given that there is no low/med population servers in the American region, I’m going to second the vote for Anvil Rock, and throw in Borlis Pass because it is my home server. That said I think what would be best is to all agree on a primary server (I’m thinking Anvil Rock, only because it got two votes so far), and then vote on a secondary. Beyond Anvil I don’t really care, so I leave that to you guys.

For EU I’m actually going to vote for Ring of Fire (seconding the above vote) and call for Vabbi beyond that, simply because I would like to see if we have enough support to bump a med pop up to high or very high. Now that said I have a few more things to add.

Overflow issue: Should you find yourself in an overflow instead of the main server, just go ahead and start a secondary rally as best you can, and wait for your chance to get into the main server. Once you’re in however I must insist that you stay in as long as you can. Ideally I’d like to lock down Lion’s Arch so that only engineers and charrs who are participating are in the main server, but that may be asking a bit much.

Clothing: I’ll second the call for Seeker’s armor simply because it is cheap and low level, making it easy for everyone to get access to it. Go with the darkest shade of black/grey you have access to.

Time: I say just come on whenever you can for as long as you can. The longer we keep the server packed the more attention we’ll be getting.

Flame throwers: For the engineers participating, the flame thrower is our most visually striking kit due to all the flame effects, so I would suggest using it and making as big a scene as you can, as often as you can. We’re not trying to crash the server, yet, but we want people to notice that we’re there and not just a typical post event vender zerg. So try to draw some attention.

Emotes: I would say cry would be the best. Threaten may present the wrong idea for the first rally. I wish there was a /complain emote, but in its absence whining will have to suffice.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

It’s great that this issue is trying to spread itself into Reddit, but one thing I have learned when it comes to starting a rally on Reddit is to get a bunch of people together on voice and have them burst up-vote it before the cynics, pessimists, and the 1-dimensionals downvote it into oblivion.

I upvoted but it looks like the don’t-cares came by and downvoted it thus lowering the potential exposure of it.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Arkham: Sounds good on all counts. Dark-colored Seeker armor, Flamethrower, Anvil Rock (American) and Ring of Fire (European) primaries, Vabbi if we run out of room on the primaries. /cry emotes and pyro-shows.

Kagura: Yeah, I didn’t really expect to get much – but it got some attention, and now it’s available for anybody who reads Reddit to see. I’ll remember the bit about getting everyone together to upvote it, though.

in Engineer

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

If you want to draw even more attention, if Lion’s Arch reaches overflow point where people can’t get in, begin invading the racial cities as well. Probably in order of popularity so it’s actually noticeable, and station the group somewhere that can’t be missed. Divinity’s Reach would probably be next, then Hoelbrak, etc.

Putting people in parties would also help due to the “Join in Lion’s Arch” option, to squeeze in as many as possible. Once all of them are full, start moving them to the next server on the list.

A guild would help to keep this organized.

edit: for clarification, I’m advising going to racial cities so this will be contained to one server as much as possible, overflows are their own servers.

(edited by Egon Vidar.9125)

in Engineer

Ari Kagura.9182

The bank around Divinity’s Reach would be a great spot to hang for this rally.

The area near Super Adventure Box in Rata Sum could be another hot spot.

I really can’t think of popular areas to hang in Black Citadel, Hoelbrak, and The Grove.

(edited by Ari Kagura.9182)

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

i transmuted my infused fractal capacitor to the starting engineer backpiece. hobosacks for life. i play an asura, so i have no problem with them. they’re not goofy and oversized like they are on humans.

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in Engineer

Ari Kagura.9182

Another thing— once everything gets set in stone, you can post the expected gathering here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/events

I don’t know the general traffic of that forum, but it could make sense.

You can also spread the word to other GW2 fansite forums like GW2Guru.

You could also post on the main general forum, though I’d imagine that thread would be moved to the events forum—- but you’ll get some sort of initial exposure before moderator action.

in Engineer

Posted by: Espio Auraforce.1497

Espio Auraforce.1497

17 sept, LA, Ring of Fire. Noted

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

I’m sure many have seen the leaked patchnote thread, and perhaps seen the “Weapon skills that hide your weapon no longer hide your back item” note therein. While we can’t say for sure whether this is factual, the last time I saw leaked patchnotes, they were pretty near spot-on.

If this is the case, then we may well be able to say goodbye to the Era of the Hobosack, and I find the timing a little too convenient to not think this rally may have had something to do with it.

The Rally is still on, however, as the point has become less “Our cosmetic issues have been ignored for a year,” and more “We feel ignored and we’re done taking it lying down.”

Personally, I’ll be bringing Turrets to the Rally if the Hobosack Era is ended – they have potentially resolved one bug that they told us of (by having Turrets focus on player’s last-damaged target, they may have indirectly resolved the World Boss issue), but there’s still another nineteen in waiting.

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

I’m sure many have seen the leaked patchnote thread, and perhaps seen the “Weapon skills that hide your weapon no longer hide your back item” note therein. While we can’t say for sure whether this is factual, the last time I saw leaked patchnotes, they were pretty near spot-on.

If this is the case, then we may well be able to say goodbye to the Era of the Hobosack, and I find the timing a little too convenient to not think this rally may have had something to do with it.

The Rally is still on, however, as the point has become less “Our cosmetic issues have been ignored for a year,” and more “We feel ignored and we’re done taking it lying down.”

Personally, I’ll be bringing Turrets to the Rally if the Hobosack Era is ended – they have potentially resolved one bug that they told us of (by having Turrets focus on player’s last-damaged target, they may have indirectly resolved the World Boss issue), but there’s still another nineteen in waiting.

Well said. If those notes are true then some of our issues have been resolved, but not all. And even though the back item issue may be fixed, it still doesn’t mean anything for those of us going for legendary weapons or the impact kits have on weapon progression.

The rally is still on, and if nothing else I take these patch notes to say that we’re already winning. Preemptive success is a great thing, so pat yourselves on the back, but don’t get lazy. We still have issues that need attention, so lets show Arena Net that our silence can’t be bought just by addressing the two easiest issues to fix.

in Engineer

Ari Kagura.9182

Technically-speaking, our hobo-sacks are “Utility Skills” instead of “Weapon Skills” so I wouldn’t bust out to Guile’s Theme just yet.

But if the hobosacks are really going away, then sweet! I guess the next step is improving cosmetic compatibility with legendary weapons.

I say: wait and see. Those notes aren’t official yet and are subject to change before release. Maybe they’ll turn us into a brand race: The Hobosack which resemble sock puppets. Who knows!

in Engineer

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

There are many crippling issues with engineers

Legionaries arn’t one of them

And i am fully prepared to retract this statement and every slimier one i have made about engineers thus far if you can find one ANet post that is about engineer balance, rather then crippling bugs or hobo-sacks. It shouldn’t be that hard, ANet has posted more on engineer then all other class forums (but my information is somewhat outdated.)

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

First off: They certainly have not posted more on Engineer than all other class forums. I counted that kitten over a period of four hours. Rangers and Necromancers had the most posts by far.

As far as crippling problems and so forth: Yeah, Legendaries are cosmetic things – but they’re a symptom of the real crippling problem, which is that Anet is ignoring us except when we’re too good, or bugged in a way that is advantageous for us.

One of our skillsets, alone, currently has twenty bugs affecting it – and the only one that the ‘leaked’ patchnotes show being addressed is being addressed indirectly, and the change may or may not even fix it, depending on how it was or was not handled.

in Engineer

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

I’m sorry if i offended you. The offer stands.

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

You didn’t offend me, don’t worry.

That said, I’m confused as to what “Legendaries aren’t a crippling issue” has to do with Anet making posts about Engineer balance. One is a largely cosmetic thing, one is a distinctly non-cosmetic thing.

in Engineer

Posted by: Fnix.5608

Fnix.5608

I’ll be there. Piken Square!

http://nox.no – Norse Oil eXpedition

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

I posted a bit in a charr thread I saw on the suggestions forum, so lets hope the Legions decide to stand with us.

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing.

EDIT: No I didn’t think of that because of Saints Row 4. Sheesh, have a little culture…

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Just a reminder, everyone, as the rally is tomorrow:

Rally’s in Lion’s Arch in these three servers.
American target server: Anvil Rock
European target server: Ring of Fire
Auxiliary target server: Vabbi

Ideally: Wear Seeker gear, dyed the darkest you’ve got. Flamethrowers to grab attention, barkers to explain the rally and its purpose – reminding Anet that 10% of their players deserve the same attention as the other 90% get.
We’re not asking for anything special, just what everyone else has been getting, in terms of developer attention.

in Engineer

Posted by: Snack.9315

Snack.9315

So no one’s making a guild? :X

“Retired” characters: Fruit Salad (Warrior), Blingerton (Engineer), Shixard (Ranger).
Current characters: Mistress Viridi (Elementalist), Pigeon Opener (Engineer).
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2770-3378. Mail me in-game if you add me!

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Don’t think anybody’d decided to make one.
Suppose we could, though – Engineer/Charr guild, Coalition For Equal Treatment or something.

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I’m all for protest rallies but…doesnt it seems a little unnecessary now that we know qol engie changes coming next month and Bill Freist has said he’s been working on it?

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

They’ll be changing the hobosacks, yes, and doing a couple other things. About godkitten time, by and large.

But that’s not the real problem – the real problem is that Anet thinks that, because less people play Engineers, that the problems of the Engineer don’t need as much manpower to be allocated to resolving as the more popular classes.
They’ve got a ‘work on what’s most popular’ viewpoint, considering their response to the Charr request for better armor being along the lines of “They’re less popular, so they get less manpower.” If they use this attitude toward one aspect of the game, I feel it’s likely that they use it toward most aspects – which, in my opinion, likely explains how Turrets have accumulated 20 bugs (15 if the fire rate bug list is condensed), how Scope being broken was unaddressed (entirely unrecognized as an issue, in fact, as the devs just thought it was a crappy trait) for 285 days after release despite multiple threads about it, and I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting.
If they aren’t taking this attitude, then I have to wonder if they’re simply incompetent or if they actively try not to look at the forums.
It seems fairly self-evident to me that this attitude is a terrible one to take, as it creates a self-perpetuating “Not a lot of people play this, because this, because no resources, because not a lot of people play this” cycle.

Does every class and race, therefore, not deserve the same allocation of resources?

I certainly think they do, and to me, that’s what this rally is about – not about Hobosacks or Legendaries, but about equal resources being allocated to all classes and races.

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

I’m all for protest rallies but…doesnt it seems a little unnecessary now that we know qol engie changes coming next month and Bill Freist has said he’s been working on it?

No it is not unnecessary. Bill posted that a while ago, and well before that Colin gave us a little lip service too. And don’t you think it is a little too much of a connivance that these chances are leaked and teased now? Especially since they aren’t even big things, but rather last minute fixes.

“So turrets won’t attack world bosses, do we go over their code and find the problem to fix it?”

“Nah, we’re pressed for time, just make them attack the players target like any NPC pet should have already been programmed to do, and like what people were suggesting back when the engineer was first announced in alpha.”

“Okay, what about kits hiding back items?”

“Pick the solution off the forums that would take the absolute least work.”

“Well we could just hide the back part when you have a back skin, people have suggested that and it should take about five minutes to program.”

“Cool, do that, just say it took months of work.”

“But won’t all this rushed stuff be very buggy?”

“Has that ever stopped us before?”

in Engineer

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I protested mine by not playing my engi anymore.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

I’d say “Well, then they count one less Engineer,” but they just look at characters made, I think.

in Engineer

Posted by: yanchoy.9176

yanchoy.9176

Anybody doing this in Oceanic prime?

/Snow white and the 7 dwarfs and their wives

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

The Oceanic servers…I don’t think we’d designated a server for those, largely because I couldn’t find them in the Guesting thing.
It’s entirely possible that I simply missed them.

If you’re asking about times, though – this is pretty much going to be going on all day, if we can manage it.

in Engineer

Snack.9315

So when are we starting? I got a few people on my friends list to look at this thread and hopefully join. (EU player here)

“Retired” characters: Fruit Salad (Warrior), Blingerton (Engineer), Shixard (Ranger).

in Engineer

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

ok i support this thing so i will protest on Anvil Rock

in Engineer

Posted by: Lutto.8745

Lutto.8745

I dont want a Hobo-sack… I want to show of my ascended sheild so please Anet remove dat hobokitten!

Member of [SoZ] GM of mEIGHT [mEJT]
S1/S2 Legend Engineer @ Gandara EU.

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

So i went to Ring of Fire, got myself a seeker set, dyed it all midnight red and abyss, equipped my OP grenade kit (because thats the hobosack i hate the most, and started crying at a ramp of the Mystic toilet. Alone.

People are ignoring a young woman crying with a pack full of grenades on her back for half an hour now. They are so insensitive. I blame video games.

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

So my 1 hour protest was rather lonely. I saw about 60 warriors, 50 guardians, 20 mesmers and necros, 10 rangers, and 3 other engineers (who were incidently all charr) who didnt seem to participate.

I ended my protest by jumping off to my death from the Vista above the Mystic toilet with Explosive Descent trait equipped, shouting “I CANT TAKE THESE HOBO-SACKS ANYMORE”

Someone started to revive me when i logged out. That somewhat restored my faith in humanity, though it might be that he only wanted the XP

Peace. And good luck with the rest

in Engineer

Snack.9315

I haven’t found any people, either… I knew this was going to happen.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Arkham and I are on Anvil Rock.

in Engineer

Snack.9315

Other than my friend and I, we found 2 non-protestors on Ring of Fire to join us… and they don’t know about this thread. :S
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179343669
Someone drop me a message when people actually want to do this.

(edited by Snack.9315)

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Hm. Mayhap we could use somebody to shout about the rally, then.

in Engineer

Posted by: Night Fiend.1942

Night Fiend.1942

Will you guys still be doing this around 6:30 PM EST? I’d like to come out and join you. I’ve always wanted to level an engineer, but the lack of being able to see legendaries and the fact that you can’t see your backpiece with a shield have really turned my off from doing so. Not to mention the ridiculous cost of having to buy 2 make over kits and a whole new set of armor for my Charr guardian because his facial fur poked through the helmet.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

I’ve got nothin’ else to do today, so I’ll be sitting around, at the very least. Hoping this picks up once people get off work/out of school.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I was late getting on today, but I still want to do it, what server are we populating in the most now?

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Anvil Rock and Ring of Fire are the primary target servers, and it seems like Anvil Rock’s just about abandoned, possibly due to time of day. Ring of Fire is possibly more populated.

in Engineer

Nay of the Ether.8913

guess I’ll hop to ring of fire then and start spamming my flamethrower in LA lol

in Engineer

Nay of the Ether.8913

Fair treatment for engineers!

Attachments:

in Engineer

Nay of the Ether.8913

lol getting nowhere, so far been blocked by 22 people, 3 said they reported me, and now I have actual engis telling me the class is balanced and I’m wasting my time

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Alright, Anvil Rock rally’s been called – six hours of four, at most, people hanging around isn’t exactly inspiring.

We’ve got some kinks to work out in terms of organization, etcetera, if we decide to do this again at a later date. For instance, guilding up might be a good idea, as has been posited by many, as well as setting a start time.

in Engineer

Ari Kagura.9182

Also consider that today is a patch-day, meaning a lot of people are more likely going to go out and actually do the content instead of idling in Lion’s Arch. I think the best time to try doing this would be on a weekend when more people are on to make a statement.

That and I couldn’t make the rally because I had to work tonight. … Sorry about that.

I think to better organize this would be to create a guild specifically for this purpose and to even coordinate over voice chat.

There would need to be a set universal time that everyone would appear to make this happen.

in Engineer

lakdav.3694

To show any measure of it even happening you mean? Sorry to say but all we did was pretty much proving ANets point. We are not enough to be even a bother, even other engineers ignore this issue, and the threads about it have posts from about 30 people, maybe 50 if im being generous, bumping it up on a monthly basis, mostly the one thread that has a red patch next to it so that we feel heard and listened to.

Our numbers will not make a change in this matter. No matter how ‘loud’ you want to get in a virtual world. Its all just text and numbers in an ocean of texts and numbers.