The relationship I have with my engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Herosandwich.6203

Herosandwich.6203

This comic pretty much describes it. If only engineers had super secret magikarp powers to explain my unnecessary attachment to it

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

But he has so much potential…

in Engineer

Herosandwich.6203

entirely my point.

in Engineer

JohnDied.3476

Sorry, I had a diablo 3 flashback there. I should have commented on how versatile that magikarp could be if only we could get it out of our heads to use dps and survivability as the standard of judging how good a pokemon is…

in Engineer

Herosandwich.6203

engineers are now codenamed magikarp. prove me wrong.

not to mention, versatility suffers in a game where EVERY pokemon is versatile. healing pokemon can dps, tanky pokemon can heal, and magikarp can do everything, albeit poorly and inconsistently.

in Engineer

Posted by: Czar Peter.7961

Czar Peter.7961

New gem store item: Rare Candy. Each one removes a nerf.

Engineer – Thief – Warrior

in Engineer

Posted by: Rhinzual.7861

Rhinzual.7861

Sorry, I had a diablo 3 flashback there. I should have commented on how versatile that magikarp could be if only we could get it out of our heads to use dps and survivability as the standard of judging how good a pokemon is…

Magikarp had zero versatility, in fact, Magikarp’s only use is to soak up XP and then evolve into the rather powerful… whatever it’s called, it’s been well over a decade since I played.

For Engineers to be like Magikarp, you’d have to suck for the first 40 levels and as soon as you start to get more talents opened up, bam, completely different game. You’d go from something everyone hated to something everyone craved. So like starting as an Engineer/Ranger and suddenly becoming a Guardian/Warrior.

in Engineer

JohnDied.3476

Magikarp had zero versatility, in fact, Magikarp’s only use is to soak up XP and then evolve into the rather powerful… whatever it’s called, it’s been well over a decade since I played.

For Engineers to be like Magikarp, you’d have to suck for the first 40 levels and as soon as you start to get more talents opened up, bam, completely different game. You’d go from something everyone hated to something everyone craved. So like starting as an Engineer/Ranger and suddenly becoming a Guardian/Warrior.

~~~EDIT: It’s hard to convey sarcasm in text form so I’ll explain what I meant in my first post. Much like in pokemon, In some way or other dps and survivability in gw2 are what determine how good a class is. There is also support, but I keep getting told that the best support is to buff yourself so that you can revive other people, so it ventures into survivability.~~~

I think it’s quite fitting actually. For the first 40 levels you’re kind of gimped as an engineer because you don’t have access to the grandmaster traits this class is balanced around. Want to run with grenades? They’re kind of bad (now) without grenadier. What about bombs, flamethrower, or condition pistol? Same thing. The only builds you can probably do decently without high level traits are turret and static discharge builds (The later still requires traits btw). This kind of class balance pigeon holes you into going rifle if you want to do the hard stuff like skill points in lower level maps, which is kind of like the useless attack you get on magikarp when you consider how often you get in 1v1 fights in PvE (which is never).

The pokemon that little fishy evolves into is kind of terrible unless you really do your homework when raising it (pokemon games have a lot of hidden mechanics about breeding ). I think this mirrors the engineer quite well, since you think you’ll do great once you get access to those grandmasters (evolve), only to find out they’re lackluster when compared to other classes autoattacks : (

(edited by JohnDied.3476)

in Engineer

Herosandwich.6203

^ this. except I find pistol/shield to be perfectly viable for a durability build and being somewhat flexible as you can go toughness for the shield/combat speed/etc or vit for HGH OR automated response if you’re bad at conditions. hell, you can even run toughness/vitality at the cost of being a gimped kitten pistoler.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

^ this. except I find pistol/shield to be perfectly viable for a durability build and being somewhat flexible as you can go toughness for the shield/combat speed/etc or vit for HGH OR automated response if you’re bad at conditions. hell, you can even run toughness/vitality at the cost of being a gimped kitten pistoler.

And it’s not even all that gimpy, really, though it probably depends on your trait layout and what you’re using to get that Toughness/Vitality.

My current favored build is specced almost entirely into Power, Toughness, and Vitality, for example, and is capable of soloing a Veteran Karka, two-manning (possibly soloing, haven’t tried it yet) that Champion Inquest Golem in Orr, and can also stand up to a swarm of Young Karka. All while using Turrets and Mines for supplemental damage.

in Engineer

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Well, bombs work wonders without grandmaster traits. All they need in III explosives trait. The rest is handy, but not mandatory.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Engineer

JohnDied.3476

Well, bombs work wonders without grandmaster traits. All they need in III explosives trait. The rest is handy, but not mandatory.

Honestly, you don’t really need any traits with bombs in PvE. Just drop them as you run and kite forever (and it will take forever), the mobs will always run over them. The issue is whether they’ll be any better than grenades or another skills without their grandmaster, the answer is that they’re not that great. They do more damage than grenades, but require you to be in melee range or work their delay, they’re also worse than grenades for vulnerability stacking so they have less utility discounting their combo fields. Elixir infused bombs is what makes them stand out from grenades, as they stop being these bombs I can’t throw with a second long delay and become tools to bunker down if you wish to do that. You can heal while you set up combos and add variety to your scrambling around.