There will be trait changes, apparently.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

So, the weekly Guild Wars 2 Guru’s Master of the Mists tPvP Tournament is going on right now and there are several devs in the livestream chat, and they have given us a bit of a spoiler regarding the upcoming balance patch – I’ve copied and pasted the related quotes here:

Mod jon_peters: the one after that will be fairly sizable balance wise

Mod khalija_: If you have feedback or suggestions for future tournaments, you can email us at tournament@guildwarsguru.net

Mod jon_peters: This is a big game

Mod jon_peters: as you can see

Mod jon_peters: lots of things interact

Mod jon_peters: so 1

Mod jon_peters: 1) we dont rush because testing is hard

Mod jon_peters: 2) we dont rush because balance should be slow moving

Mod jon_peters: or you just keep overshooting your target

Mod khalija_: Sent you a msg Karl!

Mod khalija_: Pm’d you on Twitch

Mod jon_peters: I will say the late june patch is a fairly sizable balance patch

Mod jon_peters: as Karl can attest to

Mod jon_peters: the fx will be replaced with lower detail versions first

Mod jon_peters: but I will say lot of trait diversity incoming for late June

Mod jon_peters: trying to improve many bad traits

Mod jon_peters: to bring up new builds

Mod jon_peters: hmm example….

Mod jon_peters: should I give an example…

Mod jon_peters: Karl do you have a good example of a trait change?

Mod jon_peters: some merging going on

Mod chaplan_: back

Mod jon_peters: yeah

Mod jon_peters: chap

Mod jon_peters: Chap you mind if Karl and I spoiler some of the trait changes incoming?

Mod chaplan_: I thought about doing in SOTG…but played it safe.

Mod chaplan_: I did mention Necro burning.

Mod jon_peters: We can give away like 1 or 2 I think

Mod jon_peters: ok

Mod jon_peters: I think Ele air is a good spoiler…

Mod jon_peters: I will say this

Mod jon_peters: every single trait line is seeing at least 1 change

Mod jon_peters: some I think are getting as many as five changes

Mod khalija_: official site says we’ll get some new info on June 4th

Mod chaplan_: Overall idea: look at bad/unused traits and improve them, or just rework them.

Who knows what form these changes will take for us Rangers, but knowing there are SOME changes is good I think!

So. Apparently every traitline is getting hit during this next balance patch. Hadn’t seen any word of it on these boards, but I happened to take a look at the Ranger forum and saw that.

in Engineer

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

yup, and apparently scope will be one of the changes according to this dev reply

" JonPeters
vote fix. We have a proposed change that should be coming in about 4 weeks. Wish it could be sooner but we need translation time and testing time."

Link Here

(edited by google.3709)

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Yep. So we know one change that will be incoming – or its subject, anyway; we know kittenall about the content of the change except that it requires a translation, which implies a change in the text of the tooltip itself. Maybe it’ll even be something people will use.

If anybody else gets word of specific changes, with proof, bring ‘em here – it’ll give us something halfway constructive to do while we kitten about Kit Refinement and postulate that Warriors and Thieves will get buffs.

in Engineer

Posted by: Velron.3729

Velron.3729

I am cautiously optimistic. I does sound like they are going more for buffing or merging kittenty traits – rather than nerfing our good ones.

Fragg – Engineer | Lil Zek – Warrior PVP R43
[DA] Decisive Actions – Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

I sure hope Anet have given a bit of thought to the overall trait mix for each class into consideration when making these changes, rather than just generating narrow-mined replacements for individual traits that are dropped or merged.

We’ve seen the mess that can result from “It’s just a 10pt trait” thinking.

Hopefully ANet have learned from their earlier experiences and these changes will also help improve our trait line synergies and options.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Don’t misunderstand I love that they are making some changes and fixing some bugs but this disturbs me and here’s why.

“Mod jon_peters: 1) we dont rush because testing is hard
Mod jon_peters: 2) we dont rush because balance should be slow moving”

1) Well if we had a PTR to report bugs with the testing would go way faster and would solve the time crunch and would make it so that bugs we listed here on the forums at launch wouldn’t still be here on the anniversary, the bugs do extend well beyond the trait lines.

2) It should be slow, but one thing should never be slow, bug fixing, not reworks, bugs should be down to a minimal amount by the time the anniversary hits in any game most notably in a title that’s supposedly making huge wads of dough all the time. PTR’s might be messy when it comes to showing people new content too early, however, the are the single best testing system out there, that’s why almost every mmo out there uses this form of testing because the players see things that the Devs often ignore.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

PTR’s might be messy when it comes to showing people new content too early, however, the are the single best testing system out there

^This,

and PTR testers give their time for free.

in Engineer

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

2) any game most notably in a title that’s supposedly making huge wads of dough all the time.

Except that it’s been confirmed here and elsewhere that NCSoft has taken most of the money gw2 has made and put it into Wildstar. They did not give it to anet for bug fixing or anything else.

in Engineer

Posted by: Grackleflint.4956

Grackleflint.4956

2) any game most notably in a title that’s supposedly making huge wads of dough all the time.

Except that it’s been confirmed here and elsewhere that NCSoft has taken most of the money gw2 has made and put it into Wildstar. They did not give it to anet for bug fixing or anything else.

Can you cite your source?

note: Dontain’s youtube video doesn’t count because he got it wrong.

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I’m hoping that when he said some traitlines are getting as many as five changes, he was talking about our tool traitline. Nearly all those master and grandmaster traits are just horrible.

(edited by Penguin.5197)

in Engineer

Velron.3729

Seriously, almost every tier 2 and tier 3 tools trait is really bad.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Necro has burning……end of the world

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Engineer

Velron.3729

Necro has burning……end of the world

I had this thought too

in Engineer

google.3709

hahaha guess i’m not the only one afraid of necro! must be an engi thing! being bleed, poison, chilled, and burn while feared will be “fun”

(edited by google.3709)

in Engineer

Posted by: Cero.5132

Cero.5132

hahaha guess i’m not the only one afraid of necro! must be an engi thing! being bleed, poison, chilled, and burn while feared will be “fun”

o my gosh and I thought I was the only engineer out there who´s afraid of necros! O_O
Glad I´m not alone there

in Engineer

Posted by: jniel.3581

jniel.3581

“Engineers will now randomly explode for no apparent reason and no apparent time for a completely random amount of damage and radius as well as randomly damaging friend and foe alike. P.S. This can even randomly happen while your character is logged out. Of course if you happen to be using Flame Thrower at the time and facing up hill it will negate ALL effects. A trait will be present to allow the skill to be useable which will randomly pick any engineer in the zone to immediately explode.”

Sorry, honestly I HOPE they do some good things like make some skills that are useless now useful(cough turrets cough), fix the various aiming issues we have (cough FT MISS SYNDROME cough), allow grenade throw at current target. Just to name a few. And how about just make our elixirs do THIS→ rather than maybe this or maybe that in which this or that are completely different ends of the spectrum in effect making that use(toolbelt) elixir borderline useless.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

We know they’re doing trait changes. We don’t know if they’re doing jack about skills.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

Gadgets to signets would be neat. Something/ANYTHING to make them more desired.

in Engineer

Posted by: NickDollahZ.5348

NickDollahZ.5348

We need some major trait work imo. Looking forward to the next next patch.

in Engineer

Posted by: Devinchi.2756

Devinchi.2756

Give us another gadget related trait! Make it unique and useful enough to justify taking them over any other utilities..

Heavy Charrtillery – lvl 80 Engineer
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

I’m hoping for a Turret Cooldown trait, myself.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dubh.6359

Dubh.6359

crossing my fingers that some dream builds start working out

in Engineer

google.3709

• A “Kit Refinement” for Gadgets!!!
  • Merge Rifled Barrels & Hair Trigger
  • New trait: Cool-down on Turrets
  • Merge: Fireforged Trigger & Deadly Mixture (OR Split them)
  • Acidic Elixirs… something
  • Rifled Turret Barrels, current + reduce attack rate by 20%

what would you guys expect for, or predict will be changed! at least 1 trait on every tree… take a guess

in Engineer

Posted by: Dubh.6359

Dubh.6359

Maybe packaged stimulants will offer a cooldown reduction, or a short regen effect when you snatch up a kit

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

My guesses:
Explosives: I don’t know much about which Explosives traits are really good; I’d guess that maybe Grenadier and/or Acidic Elixirs will get modified in some way, as Grenadier is awesome and Acidic Elixirs is…well, not.
Firearms: Haven’t had points in the tree in forever, no idea.
Inventions: Autotool Installation seems a good candidate for either buffing or outright swapping (Turret -20% Cooldown Go! please), and hopefully they’ll adjust the information for Elite Supplies X to reflect that it does nothing for Mortar attacks. In addition, they’ll hopefully get Rifled Turret Barrels’ range enhancement to actually apply to things besides the Rocket Turret (and keep the rockets visible).
Alchemy: I don’t use this tree much, either, so no idea.
Tools: We’ve been directly informed there’s a change in the works (requiring translators, so it’s probably not just a bugfix and % increase) for Scope…I’m thinking the Grandmaster traits will be changed/buffed, and it’s entirely possible that a cooldown trait for Turrets could be put here instead of in Inventions.

in Engineer

Posted by: Wolf.5816

Wolf.5816

I just like attention. Keep on working on that build diversity!

Veteran of The Mists & Professional Engineer
Dingo King-Hound King-Coyoti King-Thylacine King-Hyena King

in Engineer

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

A flame thrower trait that turns FT into a ranged attack instead of the plume we have now…

An Elixir trait that ups the damage of Elixir gun by 500%+ and heals by 200% and the poison plume turns into a 1200 range poison mist AoE… PvE / PvP separate..

(edited by Dante.1508)

in Engineer

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

To be removed:
Acidic Elixirs
Acidic Coating
Knee Shot
Power Shoes
Leg Mods
Exploit Weakness

To be merged:
Short Fuse+Explosive Powder
Rifled Barrels+Hair Trigger
Fireforged Trigger+Deadly Mixture

To be adjusted(Adjustments in Bold):
-Forceful Explosives
Explosions have a larger explosion radius.
-Enhance Performance
Gain 5 stacks of might for 15 seconds when you use a heal skill. This effect cannot trigger more than once every 15 seconds.
-Autodefense Bomb Dispenser
Drop a Big Ole Bomb whenever you are disabled (stun, daze, knockdown, knockback, launch, float, sink, fear). This effect cannot trigger more than once every 30 seconds.
-Sharpshooter
33% chance to cause bleeding for 3 seconds on critical hits.
-Target the Maimed
10% increased damage against bleeding foes.
-Infused Precision
50% chance to gain fury for 5 seconds on critical hits. This effect cannot trigger more than once every 5 seconds.
-Go for the Eyes
Critical hits (No longer exclusive to the rifle) have a 50% chance to inflict blindness for 5 seconds. This effect cannot trigger more than once every 10 seconds.
-Coated Bullets
Pistol shots pierce, +50 Condition Damage.
-Low Health Response System
Gain regeneration for 10 seconds when you are attacked while under 50% health.
-Protective Shield
Gain protection for 5 seconds when you are hit with a critical attack 20 second cooldown.
-Automated Response
Remove one condition every 5 seconds while under 33% health.
-Always Prepared
Drop 4 Bandages and 1 Antidote when you start to revive an ally. This effect cannot trigger once every 30 seconds.
-Packaged Stimulants
Med Kit skills can be thrown, and reduces cooldown of Med Kit skills by 20%.
-Armor Mods
Gain 5 seconds of retaliation when critically hit. 15 second recharge.
-Adrenal Implant
100% faster endurance regeneration.

There ya go devs. No need for any thanks or credits, just please do it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

You have no idea about balance at all aristio if you honestly think that those changes would balance us! :-) Pretty much 60% of what you wrote takes some of our greart traits, that often see play, and turn them insane Op, which quite obvious would result in us being insane op! I mean, merging Rifled Barrel + Hair Trigger? come one! Both are amazing! Also pretty much permanent Fury uptime for 10 points? How insane ain’t that??

I do tho like the smoke bomb to big old bomb swap idea, and the changes to the tool trait line, traits! I am still not sure tho, that any one would pick Armor Mods and Adrenal Implant even with those changes, I honestly feel they should just rework them! Also, there is no point in removing traits, should should rather fix them!

(edited by Amadeus.5687)

in Engineer

Posted by: blutstein.2468

blutstein.2468

To be removed:
Acidic Elixirs
Acidic Coating
Knee Shot
Power Shoes
Leg Mods
Exploit Weakness

To be merged:

-Forceful Explosives
-Enhance Performance
Gain 5 stacks of might for 15 seconds when you use a heal skill. This effect cannot trigger more than once every 15 seconds.
Drop a Big Ole Bomb whenever you are disabled (stun, daze, knockdown, knockback, launch, float, sink, fear). This effect cannot trigger more than once every 30 seconds.
-Sharpshooter
-Target the Maimed
-Infused Precision
50% chance to gain fury for 5 seconds on critical hits. This effect cannot trigger more than once every 5 seconds.
-Go for the Eyes
Critical hits (No longer exclusive to the rifle) have a 50% chance to inflict blindness for 5 seconds. This effect cannot trigger more than once every 10 seconds.
-Coated Bullets
-Protective Shield
Gain protection for 5 seconds when you are hit with a critical attack 20 second cooldown.
-Automated Response
-Always Prepared
Drop 4 Bandages and 1 Antidote when you start to revive an ally. This effect cannot trigger once every 30 seconds.
-Packaged Stimulants
-Armor Mods
-Adrenal Implant

There ya go devs. No need for any thanks or credits, just please do it.

thats a joke, isnt it?

kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Im not getting my hopes up. They’ve hyped up changes and balance patches before, and never actually delivered.
Just keep in mind, these could very well all be nerfs.

in Engineer

Aristio.2784

Also pretty much permanent Fury uptime for 10 points? How insane ain’t that??

Elementalist have the ability to do this.

Pretty much 60% of what you wrote takes some of our greart traits, that often see play, and turn them insane Op

No, I just placed certain skills comparable to other professions skills. Target the Maimed and Sharpshooter come to mind.

I am still not sure tho, that any one would pick Armor Mods and Adrenal Implant even with those changes

Armor Mods was changed to be comparable to Warriors Spiked Armor trait. Adrenal Implants was changed to keep it’s place as a Grandmaster trait since Rangers have the same trait only 5 points into Survival.

Also, there is no point in removing traits, should should rather fix them!

The skills I want removed have almost zero use. They are rarely, if ever, used in any build.

Overall, the only things I changed where skills that are inferior to others’ similar traits. I boosted a few things that should be boosted to make them more desirable to take such as Enhance Performance. Automated Response is still broken and doesn’t do what it’s supposed to, so I just changed it to something similar. Coated Bullets only effects two Pistol abilities, so I thought an added bonus would give it the extra umph to make it Grandmaster worthy. Some traits should be merged, as was the case with Rifled Turret Barrels which was once two different skills. Always prepared is a horrible trait, and we’re the only profession in the game without an “On revival” trait, so I thought I would change that to something useful.

I’m not just throwing things out for no reason. I’ve been playing Engineer since BETA2 and I’ve seen us slowly dwindle in competitive gameplay. Our once king of CC is a mere shadow of what it used to be, our dangerous Conditions laughed at now, and our Burst is laughable at how hard it can be to accomplish; with the only redeeming thing about us is our survivability.

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

You made the first mistake when you started base your changes on what other proffesions have, you simply can’t do that in a very good way at all!
What is balanced for X proffesion can be very OP on Z Proffesion. What works for Warrior’s ain’t the same that works for an Engineer.
Engineer’s are still the top condition and CC dog, and I have no idea where your “we ain’t competitive anymore” idea have spawned from.

I have been talking with both top tPvP players and a ton of WvW engineer’s when looking for guests for my podcasts, and pretty much all believe Engineer is in a very good spot at the given time, probaly the best we ever have been in!
While I do understand your changes to the Tool Trait line traits, as I did mention allready, I still do believe pretty much the rest of it would turn us into a very broken proffesion, in speciel the traits you want merged. if there is one thing Engineer’s don’t need atm. it’s an even more buffed condition damage output, which is what a lot of your changes would bring!

And again, rather then completly removing bad traits they should fix/rework it, no point in you removing and limitting trait’s

in Engineer

Posted by: EroticAndHeretic.7398

EroticAndHeretic.7398

To be removed:
Acidic Elixirs
Acidic Coating
Knee Shot
Power Shoes
Leg Mods
Exploit Weakness

I do like the acidic coating, but thoses traits are pretty useless. They at least need to be modified. (Acidic elixir could spread a less powerful EG Acid bomb, for exemple)

To be merged:

That make sense.

I would more see Rifled barrels making turrets recharging 20% faster.

-Forceful Explosives

Make sense, explosions are explosions. Would give the pistol auto attack a purpose, when the EG is also played.

-Enhance Performance

Why not, but the change doesn’t seems necessary to me.

As a 30 points trait, the smoke seems a bit weak. 30s is maybe to short by the way.

-Sharpshooter

Not that much change.

-Target the Maimed

Make sense as a 25 points traits. I’m not really fond of “% more damage”, by the way.

-Infused Precision

The name fits the fury boon, but the trait seems a bit powerful by this mean.

-Go for the Eyes

If all weapons inflict blindness, 50% chance is maybe too much (I hardly see the toolkit wrench inflicting blindness).

-Coated Bullets

Ok, the trait is actually quite weak.

Also ok, gaining regeneration at a higher health level is more helpful.

-Protective Shield

-Automated Response

3 second is actually a bit short.

-Always Prepared

My favorite, it totally fits the trait name.

-Packaged Stimulants

Seems logical to me.

-Armor Mods

Ok.

-Adrenal Implant

Make sense as a 30 points traits. Mesmer have a permanente vigor (on critical) for 5 points.

in Engineer

NickDollahZ.5348

Problem with % chance traits/runes/sigils is Grenade Kit. It makes it so we cant have nice thing. Those 3 grenades all have a separate chance to proc.

in Engineer

Posted by: EroticAndHeretic.7398

EroticAndHeretic.7398

I don’t really see the problem… Separate chance to proc = more chances to proc, no?
Flamethrower autoattack does 10 attacks, and it’s cleary not bad.

in Engineer

NickDollahZ.5348

Thing is everything else about flamethrower sucks… where as Grenade kit everything it does it does better then all the alternatives. So your % chance procing spam is just icing on the cake. Flamethrower 10 hit channel that misses often and takes almost 3 seconds to do…. grenade kit 1500 aoe range death spam.

Pretty sure that is pretty obvious. Just look at the disparity when you have 2 extra tries to proc everything. Sharpnel on Grenade kit vs bomb kit.. or Steel packed powder Gkit vs Bkit…Old Incendiary powder comes to mind…Old Kit refinement…i can go on and on.

(edited by NickDollahZ.5348)

in Engineer

Aristio.2784

You made the first mistake when you started base your changes on what other proffesions have

Look, I get this. I get why Warrior or Mesmer has this or that.

But can you honestly say this is right:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Precise_Strikes
vs.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sharpshooter

It makes no sense to have that small of a difference. They cost the same amount of points and both in the second tree of both professions in the same exact spot!

Also:

I would more see Rifled barrels making turrets recharging 20% faster.

You’re thinking of Turret Rifled Barrels. Rifled Barrels increases range of Pistol/Rifle/Speargun.

(edited by Aristio.2784)

in Engineer

Posted by: Valar Morghulis.7049

Valar Morghulis.7049

Ok, I’ll take a crack at it… (Just quick “best guesses” here, so be gentle)

Explosions:
1. Acidic Elixirs – elixers now cause explosion damage when thrown (damage equal to bomb).
2. Shrapnel – Explosions have 33% chance to bleed, up from 15%
3. Steel Packed Powder – Internal Cool Down of 2 seconds added.
4. Grenadier – You now throw 2 extra grenades (4 total), but no longer have increased range.
5. Auto-Defense Bomb Dispenser – Cool down reduced to 15s down from 60s.

Firearms
1. Knee Shot – Cripple and apply vulnerability for 5s when you immobilize.
2. Rifle Mod – Changed to “Gun Mod” now includes pistols.
3. Go for the Eyes – Now applies to ALL critical hits. reduced to 33% chance and CD increased to 20s.

Inventions
1. Protective Shield – Now gains duration from +boon and +protection gear, traits, etc.
2. Explosive Descent – Changed to Inventive Descent, now you create a healing turret instead of grenade barrage.
3. Metal Plating – Reduce AE damage to turrets by 75%.
4. Elite Supplies – Mortar range increased from 1500 range to 2200 range (I know, I know only trait changes! bla, mortar sucks :p ).
5. Autotool Installation – Turrets self buff with Protection and Fury (these buffs can be stolen).
6. Elixir-Infused Bombs – Bomb explosions heal allies, remove 1 condition (5s cool down) and repair turrets.
7. Rifled Turret Barrels – Damage increase upped to 30% from 15%.

Alchemy
1. Transmute – 5% chance to convert incoming conditions into boons for each unique boon player has.
2. Energy Conversion Matrix – Deal 5% extra damage for each unique boon player has.
3. Acidic Coating – Proc chance up to 50% from 20%.
4. Backpack Regenerator – Now benefits from Healing Power.
5. Automated Response – Now cures all conditions at 20% health and immune to conditions under 20% health.

Tools
1. Enduring Damage – Moved to the 5 point spot.
2. Adrenaline Pump – Moved to the 25 point spot. Endurance restored upped to 25% from 10%.
3. Always Prepared – Now drops flame turret and increases downed damage by 50% up from 25%.
4. Speedy Kits – Moved up to “Master” tier VII. Swiftness duration upped to 10s from 5s and CD upped to 10s from 5s.
5. Packaged Stimulants – Moved down to “Adept” tier VI. Now increases effectiveness of health packs by 20% in addition too being able to be thrown.
6. Power Wrench – Tool kit skills recharge 20% faster. Gadgets used while Tool Kit equipped are 20% more effective (20% more damage and/or 20% longer boon/condition).
7. Scope – Gain Fury for 5s every 5s when no Kit is equipped (begins after 10s of no Kit).
8. Leg Mods – Move 25% faster and gain 3s of stability every 10s while using an unarmed Kit.
9. Armor Mod – Gain 3s of protection every 10s when no Kit is equipped.
10. Adrenal Implant – Gain 20% endurance regeneration per turret placed (max 100%). Build turrets faster (reduce cool down by 20%).

EDIT: This would make SD the powerhouse build…. :/ not intended. Maybe add…
11. Static Discharge – Each turret discharges a bolt of lightning whenever you use a tool belt skill (5s cool down).

If you have many turrets out this could be very nice, but destroys the current SD builds.

Fiddler of Malazan [BR] – Engineer {NSP}

(edited by Valar Morghulis.7049)

in Engineer

Aristio.2784

Stuffs

Ugh, have to reply to each one.

Explosions.
1. That’s what the trait does currently. Someone mentioned having a EG Elixir Bomb drop; I like that idea.
2. Too much. 15% is decent right now for a 10 point skill, as three grenades can each proc a bleed. 20% would be the maximum I can see this going.
3. Why?
4. No. I like my 1500 range and I think everyone here does as well. Would rather see it travel faster if I’m loosing my range.
5. Could work. I don’t like the smoke bomb to begin with.

Firearms.
1. How much vulnerability? I would go for 5-8 stacks.
2. Pistol damage by itself is horrendous. It’s a condition weapon and wouldn’t help that much.
3. I can agree to the 33% chance, but the cooldown is silly. You miss 1 attack every 20 seconds.

Inventions.
1. It does already.
2. Eh.
3. Reduced by 90% is best. The standard in most MMOs for stationary pets.
4. Agreed
5. No. Would make the turrets even more fragile than they already are.
6. Make it 10 seconds, and no healing the turrets.
7. Agreed.

Alchemy.
1. Would rather just up the conversion rate. 10% seems nice.
2. No, no, no. Elementalist have a similar trait, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bountiful_Power. 5% would be far too powerful.
3. Okay, I can deal with this. Also make it effect ranged attacks.
4. Okay.
5. 20% health is far too low. Going to be hard to make use of it if you’re about to die.

Tools. 1. Fair enough.
2. ^
3. I personally would not mind a turret, but Flame Turret doesn’t come to mind.
4. Eh. I don’t like it. But I don’t hate it.
5. Would rather go with cooldown reduction as it’s the only weapon set in the game that doesn’t come with a cooldown reduction trait.
6. The cripple is almost necessary with this trait. We have zero gap closers (Except Magnet) unless you think turning around and using a stun breaker counts as a gap closer.
7. Very nice idea.
8. Wow, very nice idea.
9. Eh. Don’t like it, don’t hate it.
10. Don’t like this idea. Turrets are horrible and should feel bad.

in Engineer

Valar Morghulis.7049

Ugh, have to reply to each one.

Explosions.
1. That’s what the trait does currently. Someone mentioned having a EG Elixir Bomb drop; I like that idea.

I didn’t realize it was explosion dmg, also I was increasing dmg = to bomb.

2. Too much. 15% is decent right now for a 10 point skill, as three grenades can each proc a bleed. 20% would be the maximum I can see this going.

Forgot to add the 2s cool down.

3. Why?
4. No. I like my 1500 range and I think everyone here does as well. Would rather see it travel faster if I’m loosing my range.

I like the vuln stacking and range of nades too, was trying to be fair and not all “buffy”. I know this world isn’t “realistic” but it is still odd that I can throw a nade farther than I can shoot a mortar or shoot a rifle…

5. Could work. I don’t like the smoke bomb to begin with.

Me either, but it’s really disappointing at 60s. This would give a decent defensive field to ppl that spec high in power and don’t use nades.

Firearms.
1. How much vulnerability? I would go for 5-8 stacks.
2. Pistol damage by itself is horrendous. It’s a condition weapon and wouldn’t help that much.

Both are debatable, they are just lacking at current and no reason for auto attack from pistol not to be effected by this.

3. I can agree to the 33% chance, but the cooldown is silly. You miss 1 attack every 20 seconds.

I went back and forth on that one. 10s CD should be fine.

Inventions.
1. It does already.

I wasn’t sure, all the tests I did showed it not gaining, but it has been a few months… It seemed to be fixed at 3s regardless.

2. Eh.

Seemed stupid to have an explosive offensive trigger from falling in the inventions (tough/HP) line. Thought a HT fit better.

3. Reduced by 90% is best. The standard in most MMOs for stationary pets.

I agree, but can start at 75%. ANet likes to “putt up and in”.

4. Agreed
5. No. Would make the turrets even more fragile than they already are.

They buff themselves with Protection (33% reduced damage) and Fury (20% crit chance) this would make them harder to kill and hit harder, there counter is boon strip/theft.

6. Make it 10 seconds, and no healing the turrets.

Since it isn’t a passive condi removal i upped it to 5s and I was trying to make it a decision for turret builds, more HP for turrets or more dmg with final trait.

Alchemy.
1. Would rather just up the conversion rate. 10% seems nice.
2. No, no, no. Elementalist have a similar trait, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bountiful_Power. 5% would be far too powerful.

The numbers on both can be tweaked, reason was to change from 1% per boon to per unique boon to reward “boony” engineers

3. Okay, I can deal with this. Also make it effect ranged attacks.
4. Okay.
5. 20% health is far too low. Going to be hard to make use of it if you’re about to die.

It’s a last ditch get away or buy time for heal to repop type of ability. If fighting a condi heavy class this would be a tide turner, if running it would stop all condi dmg and most controls. Obviously it would do next to nothing against zerker/pwr builds.

Tools. 1. Fair enough.
2. ^
3. I personally would not mind a turret, but Flame Turret doesn’t come to mind.

Since it also ups dmg I was going with a close range dmg theme (hitting the person trying to stomp you).

4. Eh. I don’t like it. But I don’t hate it.

Requires more commitment to get constant 33% speed, and eases the button mashing a bit

5. Would rather go with cooldown reduction as it’s the only weapon set in the game that doesn’t come with a cooldown reduction trait.

Could do that as well, they are rather fast already tho.

6. The cripple is almost necessary with this trait. We have zero gap closers (Except Magnet) unless you think turning around and using a stun breaker counts as a gap closer.

Depends on your setup, I have plenty of gap closers and never had this current trait.

7. Very nice idea.
8. Wow, very nice idea.
9. Eh. Don’t like it, don’t hate it.
10. Don’t like this idea. Turrets are horrible and should feel bad.

Was trying to make turrets unhorrible This is straight turret bunker build stuff…

in Engineer

Valar Morghulis.7049

Also, thanks for feedback. This was fun. I wanted to help the bad traits/builds without just making Engineers god-like. Hard to do coming from a player that loves his Engineer harhar!

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

I wont make long lists that no dev will ever read or even take serious, but i will say this. I’d really like to see traits have more omni-purpose.
We’re a supposedly versatile, so much that we get hybrid-taxed for it, then we need traits to actually reflect this.

Right now traits are just tunnelvisioning on very few of our weapons at all. Grenadier, Juggernaut, Coated Bullets being some prime examples. Giving a (big) boost to only a single weapon/kit.
That doesnt motivate multi-weapon/kit use at all, its specializing. And that doesnt stroke well with being “versatile”, when we have some of the least versatile builds and our top builds are all highly dedicated to specializing for a single purpose.

in Engineer

Posted by: Punkins.2087

Punkins.2087

Don’t misunderstand I love that they are making some changes and fixing some bugs but this disturbs me and here’s why.

“Mod jon_peters: 1) we dont rush because testing is hard
Mod jon_peters: 2) we dont rush because balance should be slow moving”

1) Well if we had a PTR to report bugs with the testing would go way faster and would solve the time crunch and would make it so that bugs we listed here on the forums at launch wouldn’t still be here on the anniversary, the bugs do extend well beyond the trait lines.

2) It should be slow, but one thing should never be slow, bug fixing, not reworks, bugs should be down to a minimal amount by the time the anniversary hits in any game most notably in a title that’s supposedly making huge wads of dough all the time. PTR’s might be messy when it comes to showing people new content too early, however, the are the single best testing system out there, that’s why almost every mmo out there uses this form of testing because the players see things that the Devs often ignore.

Finding bugs is not hard.. balance testing is hard. God help us if the playerbase is involved in validating balance changes..

I’d bet you my house and first born child that they are aware of every single item youre thinking of and many more. Take whatever complexity you have in mind regarding managing significant software development and raise it 2 orders of magnitude..

TLDR: Your oversimplification cannot be understated enough.

in Engineer

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

Finding bugs is not hard.. balance testing is hard. God help us if the playerbase is involved in validating balance changes..

I’d bet you my house and first born child that they are aware of every single item youre thinking of and many more. Take whatever complexity you have in mind regarding managing significant software development and raise it 2 orders of magnitude..

TLDR: Your oversimplification cannot be understated enough.

Dear gods this. As a game dev I can virtually guarantee that they know about your complaints better than you do. When I was on my last live project we were required to spend no less than one hour a day lurking on the forums.

Best way to get bugs fixed:

1) Opinions are not fact, facts need a test case. If you “feel” something is out of whack, prove it with math.
2) Controlled tests are infinitely more valuable than uncontrolled ones. “There was this thief, not sure what build they were using, but he hit me for like 20,000 damage!” is useless… “A thief, using X stats and Y gear with Z buffs, hit me for exactly 20192 while I was using X Y and Z when their tooltip said they should only hit me for 18923.” is extremely useful.
3) Make sure your test is easily repeatable. If it takes an alignment of the stars, it is more difficult to test (not impossible IF you note exactly what stars need to be aligned and how).
4) if possible, take a video of your test case. Trust me, it makes it FAR easier for QA/Devs to validate when they can see what you’ve done.

If you follow all 4, grats, you just became part of the solution. If you post “X is broke because it was broke 8 months ago and no one has tested it since launch”… not so much.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

necro’s actually the only class that can’t inflict burning. i mained an engi for the longest of times, and quite frankly i’m a little disappointed at the reaction of the eng community.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Aristio.2784

I wont make long lists that no dev will ever read or even take serious, but i will say this. I’d really like to see traits have more omni-purpose.
We’re a supposedly versatile, so much that we get hybrid-taxed for it, then we need traits to actually reflect this.

Right now traits are just tunnelvisioning on very few of our weapons at all. Grenadier, Juggernaut, Coated Bullets being some prime examples. Giving a (big) boost to only a single weapon/kit.
That doesnt motivate multi-weapon/kit use at all, its specializing. And that doesnt stroke well with being “versatile”, when we have some of the least versatile builds and our top builds are all highly dedicated to specializing for a single purpose.

I just do it to pass the time and to get things off my chest. I know it’s useless, but it can be fun.

About the specialization traits, you do notice that those are all Grandmaster traits? If you take a look at Master and Adept traits, -most- of them are applicable to everything. As in, you choose to specialize and go 30 deep, or spread it around and be versatile. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vyxion.6358

Vyxion.6358

necro’s actually the only class that can’t inflict burning. i mained an engi for the longest of times, and quite frankly i’m a little disappointed at the reaction of the eng community.

Care to explain to me how my thief is gonna apply burn on a target?

in Engineer

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

My predictions:

SD nerf, probably via internal cool down (~15+ seconds).

HGH nerf, either directly or indirectly (+25 points per instead of +35).

Turret trait addenda, they will be called buffs, but less than 5% of the population will use them because they still die too quickly.

Engie moves below Necro for the position of least-played profession in all game modes.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

in Engineer

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

Care to explain to me how my thief is gonna apply burn on a target?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Throw_Lava_Rock

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD