These changes are garbage.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nova Pint Kiosk.7085

Nova Pint Kiosk.7085

Shield gets zero changes, we lose 4% boon duration, we lose 4s of Elixir Shell healing/Water Field access, we have zero changes to the trait lines that actually need it (Inventions/Alchemy), we get garbage might stacking in the power trait line, juggernaut is still pointless(ahh yes exclusively take the burning weapon without the buff to burning!), especially with yet another self-might-stacking trait and abilities on holosmith (cuz we totally need might stacking for only our selves everywhere! Scrapper! Holosmith! Juggernaut! HGH (yeah we can stack a whopping like 6 might on allies, woopie). Thing is even with what we can do (experimental fire turret, HGH, kittenty blast finisher trait) for might stacking on allies we can’t get close to 25, but I could AFK and get 25 might stacks on myself and yet we’re constantly given more solo-might stacking options.

All these changes did was give power engi a slight buff with more passive % increases. Woopie. I was looking forward to these changes, because I thought maybe we’d get some good changes to things that don’t see use, but nah, just garbage.

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

I think if any Shield changes come, they would most likely be closer to the Holosmith release than not.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

It looks like the intent of these changes was to give some slight buffs to power engi and a few slight improvements to gadgets.

A single step in the right direction, but not much else.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ferelwing.8463

Ferelwing.8463

I really wanted to see some other issues addressed and I was excited when I first started reading changes to other classes, I couldn’t wait to get to Engi, then I got to the Engi’s and it just sort of felt lackluster… I admit, I’m getting a bit frustrated. I chose the engineer because I thought I’d get to play lots of different ways in one class but it feels like most of the options are weak or “better” in other classes. I was hoping they’d give some love to the gyro’s or perhaps work on some of the other portions of the kit or at the very least options for other lines (you know like buffing the burn from the flame thrower/turret)… I’ve never really been a fan of the explosives (the only portion I’ve used is the mortars) and while I’m glad they changed a few things, it just felt lackluster. I still LOVE playing my engi but these “buff’s” don’t really feel enough. I know that it’s " a step in the right direction" but it felt like a major let-down. I’m willing to give the Holosmith a chance but I’m honestly not as excited, I don’t like the SAB looking style they went with.

in Engineer

Posted by: HnRkLnXqZ.1870

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

Before we get another flood of complaints, I’d like to remind you guys on those two topics:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Listen-to-WoodenPotatoes
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Thanks-Wooden-Potatoes

I remember in one of the threads, it is pointed out that the devs do listen to WP, so there is hope. A thing I already noticed is the gigantic ? above players head when it comes to the excessive energy trait, which is also suggested in that way in that video.

Changes are progress, sometimes backward, sometimes forward. It is a bit too early to determine which update/change in particular was genius or horrible. The next days will show if we can manage to get current builds working with the new stuff or even create new ones. Those of you who obey the meta as the one and only truth in this world can ignore the previous sentence ^^.

It is finally an update which forces me to change stuff, which did not happen a lot in the past so far. So I am excited and motivated to get things running and working.

dulfy-effect: Knowledge is power. But without fame, you are just a freak.

in Engineer

Posted by: Eastcorn.5901

Eastcorn.5901

My only problem is that no changes were made to address our over-reliance on Inventions and Alchemy to survive in PvP.

The Minesweeper trait was the defensive trait for Explosives, but it is lackluster unless you’re fighting squishy opponents.

in Engineer

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

Shield gets zero changes,

Shield changes were not in the scope of this update. I’m sure we’ll see shield updates before to long.

we lose 4% boon duration,

Everyone lost boon duration and condi duration. That was the primary focus of this patch, to standardize boon and condi duration sources. This was 100% expected.

we lose 4s of Elixir Shell healing/Water Field access,

Um… no we didn’t… Mortar Kit fields lasted 4s by default, siege rounds boosted this to 6s. They removed siege rounds, but increased the duration of mortar kit fields from 4s to 5s. You only lost 1s if you previously used siege rounds, otherwise we all gained 1s.

we have zero changes to the trait lines that actually need it (Inventions/Alchemy),

All of our core trait lines need buffs… Explosives and Tools were just as in need of improvements as Inventions and Alchemy. They chose to update those two first, simple as that. Alchemy and Inventions will hopefully still see updates soon.

we get garbage might stacking in the power trait line,

The trait is mostly granting you personally some might. The might stack is a bonus, now all our blast finishers grant a stack of might in AoE instead of only blast finishers in fire fields. I wouldn’t call that garbage… it’s also not a might stacking trait, it’s just a little bonus might.

juggernaut is still pointless(ahh yes exclusively take the burning weapon without the buff to burning!),

Eventually i’m sure they will hear us and either remove Juggernaut or remove it’s reliance on flamethrower.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

in Engineer

Posted by: santenal.1054

santenal.1054

Explosive Powder is removed so we can’t use turrets to knock people back anymore?

in Engineer

Nova Pint Kiosk.7085

Um… no we didn’t… Mortar Kit fields lasted 4s by default, siege rounds boosted this to 6s. They removed siege rounds, but increased the duration of mortar kit fields from 4s to 5s. You only lost 1s if you previously used siege rounds, otherwise we all gained 1s.

If you took siege rounds and HGH elixir shell lasted for ~11 seconds. This was a big deal for healing, as it gave you easy access to a water field to blast for a long ass time, and a ton of healing over time as well. removing around 4s from that kittening sucks, especially without receiving anything to make up for it.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I’m confused what shield changes are you talking about? Because as far as I can see the shield still does the blast finisher.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

tigirius.9014

All these changes did was give power engi a slight buff with more passive % increases. Woopie. I was looking forward to these changes, because I thought maybe we’d get some good changes to things that don’t see use, but nah, just garbage.

I have to disagree it put explosives back on the board and you can see from my posts and my signature that I don’t play around when it comes to balance of engis on the game but I have to say that even though there are still some things to work on like mine toolbelt positioning and possibly the turret explosion pushback (which I’m confused as to why it was removed if it was, it needs to be restored) and I’m hopeful that their next balance patch will address these after launch, I have to say that over all they did explosive engis good this time! I didn’t have to put on bombkit nor grenade kit I am a support explosive engi which means to me they are addressing our concerns this time.

in Engineer

Posted by: Krag.6210

Krag.6210

I’m confused what shield changes are you talking about? Because as far as I can see the shield still does the blast finisher.

Probably talking about the lack of shield changes.
With the upcoming expansion and a new main hand being added, everyone expected some changes to the only non-condi offhand.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Shield doesn’t need any changes. It’s probably the best one aside from chronomancer’s in the game. The only reason it isn’t used in PvP or WvW is because the main hand pistol is just about the worst weapon at our disposal.

Alchemy and Inventions don’t really need changes, and this balance patch wasn’t meant to really change Scrapper all that much. Explosives and Marauder is a fun time, but these changes are really more for Holosmith. We’ll get a better understanding of how good these changes are after the second beta weekend.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: leviathan.2148

leviathan.2148

Shield doesn’t need any changes. It’s probably the best one aside from chronomancer’s in the game. The only reason it isn’t used in PvP or WvW is because the main hand pistol is just about the worst weapon at our disposal.

Shield isn’t used anywhere.

I am an engineer – a pianist of destruction! Now please go back to standing in my AOE.

http://wpwhendead.tumblr.com - a GW2 webcomic about a Charr and a Skritt

in Engineer

Vagrant.7206

That’s not a fault of the shield, actually. It’s the fault that we only have one mainhand weapon (pistol) and it’s crap as far as a mainhand. Sword might resolve that issue. Then again, it might not, only time will tell.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I’m realizing just now that Engie DO need another mainhand weapon OUTSIDE elite specs.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Engineer

Nova Pint Kiosk.7085

I have to disagree it put explosives back on the board and you can see from my posts and my signature that I don’t play around when it comes to balance of engis on the game but I have to say that even though there are still some things to work on like mine toolbelt positioning and possibly the turret explosion pushback (which I’m confused as to why it was removed if it was, it needs to be restored) and I’m hopeful that their next balance patch will address these after launch, I have to say that over all they did explosive engis good this time! I didn’t have to put on bombkit nor grenade kit I am a support explosive engi which means to me they are addressing our concerns this time.

Which is fair, they did make explosives better, I suppose, by matter of flat damage buffs which is boring but whatever. I do love the charges change, which is really nice, and gadgeteer change isn’t bad either. The energy trait thing is a good change too because having a ton of traits which literally can’t function together in the same line was stupid.

I’m just annoyed that they buffed the one trait line which was used in every build already while nerfing healing/support, which was hardly even an option already, and without addressing some of our major issues that actually need something such as juggernaut, HGH, overshield, shield in general, etc. It just seems extremely disconnected from what engi could actually use.

in Engineer

lorddarkflare.9186

Alchemy and Inventions don’t really need changes, and this balance patch wasn’t meant to really change Scrapper all that much. Explosives and Marauder is a fun time, but these changes are really more for Holosmith. We’ll get a better understanding of how good these changes are after the second beta weekend.

Agreed 100%.

Especially about WHY shield is ‘bad.’ Pistol is a very sad case of the devs being gun shy after the Pistol-mayhem from the early days of the game.

in Engineer

tigirius.9014

Pistol is alot better than rifle because rifle has an unnecessary non-damage shot, net shot.

Pistol also has condi damage that doesn’t require that you wait for the full animation to complete. I’ve had nothing but success with pistol.

Shield is basically used only to reflect enemies shots and then do a pushback or blast finisher really.

That’s not a fault of the shield, actually. It’s the fault that we only have one mainhand weapon (pistol) and it’s crap as far as a mainhand. Sword might resolve that issue. Then again, it might not, only time will tell.

in Engineer

Vagrant.7206

Pistol is alot better than rifle because rifle has an unnecessary non-damage shot, net shot.

Pistol also has condi damage that doesn’t require that you wait for the full animation to complete. I’ve had nothing but success with pistol.

Shield is basically used only to reflect enemies shots and then do a pushback or blast finisher really.

Run P/S and you’ll see how bad mainhand pistol is (its damage is bad). Most people run P/P for Blowtorch, the most powerful pistol skill. And don’t tell me glue shot is all that useful either — because I use it, and it’s not that great.

Shield has reflect, knockback, block, and stun (4 -> 4, and 5 -> 5 respectively). The only changes that need to be made to make it more competitive are to reduce the cooldowns on it, and give us a decent mainhand weapon.

in Engineer

Posted by: leviathan.2148

leviathan.2148

Pistol off-hand will be much better choice than shield still IMO because Holo uses a lot of burns and pistol 4 works well with that. Damage Holo builds will have either p/p (condi) or s/p (power) combo.

Shield doesn’t do much that isn’t very situational. If your enemy isn’t ranged, your skill 4 is pretty much useless because with sword why would you push them back? Sure you can have one blast with long CD and some breakbar reduction with knockback but that’s not enough IMO.

And shield 5 is useful to the point while providing defense and stun if being hit and again some breakbar reduction.

Both skills have mediocre (if any) damage and utility that’s quite situational. Meanwhile pistol provides strong burns and good soft cc. Shield may get some uses with sword in pvp or wvw at best but IMO hammer provides better utility for those fights.

Shield isn’t ok, it needs adjustments to be less situational because even with sword it will be worse than off-hand pistol if it stays in current state.

I am an engineer – a pianist of destruction! Now please go back to standing in my AOE.

http://wpwhendead.tumblr.com - a GW2 webcomic about a Charr and a Skritt

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

interestingly, blowtorch does about 50% more dps than bomb 1 in a power build with capped might. (fire bomb does about 33% more.) in shield’s absence of dps and with someone else’s better, easier might, blowtorch can fill a gap in your rotation. but it approximately falls to “dont bother” priority if you aren’t point blank. and assuming, of course, it isn’t better to sword auto than bomb auto… a piece of data we dont yet have. also not sure about new stat spreads.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: EUmad.7645

EUmad.7645

No i love this changes. Gadget changes are great and are life changing.

in Engineer

Panda.1967

If you took siege rounds and HGH elixir shell lasted for ~11 seconds. This was a big deal for healing, as it gave you easy access to a water field to blast for a long ass time, and a ton of healing over time as well. removing around 4s from that kittening sucks, especially without receiving anything to make up for it.

If you were ever getting ~11sec water fields with both traits, then that was a bug. HGH adds 20% duration. Since siege rounds directly adds 2 seconds you should only have had 7.2sec fields.

Now it sould be 6sec with HGH, but apparently HGH interaction with elixier shells is bugged to do nothing. Instead of being bugged to provide apparently nearly 100% duration as you appear to be claiming.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

I’ll repeat myself for emphasis: The only reason it isn’t used in PvP or WvW is because the main hand pistol is just about the worst weapon at our disposal.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Nova Pint Kiosk.7085

If you were ever getting ~11sec water fields with both traits, then that was a bug. HGH adds 20% duration. Since siege rounds directly adds 2 seconds you should only have had 7.2sec fields.

Now it sould be 6sec with HGH, but apparently HGH interaction with elixier shells is bugged to do nothing. Instead of being bugged to provide apparently nearly 100% duration as you appear to be claiming.

yeah, it was 100% bugged, but that bugged kitten was pretty much the only thing making healing engi worth a kitten since it gave you enough time to access your fields (also lasting forever means it has priority over other fields towards the end of its lifespan so you can time blasts after a while to get it easily). It also added a ton of healing over time , since most of our healing is blasts/targeted AoE, it made sense for it to be particularly strong of a skill if double traited (yes, still bugged but still) as it was the only thing bringing engi healing in-line with other healers at all, and did give us a decent healing build if your group knows how to stack properly, with really good burst healing when you blast your water field to death.

While it was a bug, it was the healing builds only access to a water field (because 33% outgoing healing trait is more important than healing turret, especially now with the re-worked turrets only overloading once.) It also was what carried the healing and made access to a water field possible in pretty much any environment. So yeah, this change alone kittened me off a lot since they did nothing to compensate.

Also, I understand that shield isn’t the worst weapon, but there is literally no use for it. If you’re going tankier/defense oriented you’re going to take hammer because its better. It needed either a buff, or to give a buff to overshield because otherwise its a pointless weapon, even with a trait for a whopping 2 skills which do almost nothing but provide CC on the class with kittenloads of access to CC already.

(edited by Nova Pint Kiosk.7085)

in Engineer

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

I’ll repeat myself for emphasis: The only reason it isn’t used in PvP or WvW is because the main hand pistol is just about the worst weapon at our disposal.

I don’t find Pistol main hand so bad especially for spvp. I play usually condi with p/P and it does not seems to me bad . What in my opinion was the real problem of condition engineer was that it was hard with rabid or wanderer to survive to a condi burst for the low health pool. Now with reduce cd on AED i find much more easy to play condi engi

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

im really hoping we dont get shield touched because to many people are complaining about it without realizing that its basically the best shield in the game.

personally ill use shield in spvp and WvW atm, way i see it is its better for defense then tool kit and if i drop tool kit there is a better utility for condi damage then off hand pistol but using all the blocks is neat to heh

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Panda.1967

I don’t find Pistol main hand so bad especially for spvp. I play usually condi with p/P and it does not seems to me bad . What in my opinion was the real problem of condition engineer was that it was hard with rabid or wanderer to survive to a condi burst for the low health pool. Now with reduce cd on AED i find much more easy to play condi engi

Your running P/P… try running P/S and then say pistol mainhand isn’t bad. The real power behind Pistol is from pistol offhand 4 Blowtorch. Main Hand does next to nothing… honestly mainhand pistol is only used because there is no other main hand option.

in Engineer

Vagrant.7206

Your running P/P… try running P/S and then say pistol mainhand isn’t bad. The real power behind Pistol is from pistol offhand 4 Blowtorch. Main Hand does next to nothing… honestly mainhand pistol is only used because there is no other main hand option.

Yeah, I’ve been trying to explain that. Pistol mainhand is garbage when compared to the offhand. A sword stepping in (and not sucking) will make shield viable.

in Engineer

Posted by: Eastcorn.5901

Eastcorn.5901

I want to point out that Anet said they are adding the new mechanic “Barrier” to core skills as well as with the new elite specs.

I think they will apply this to Overshield. Based on the decisions they’ve made recently, it seems likely that they will give us this…if they plan to at all.

This is conjecture of course. But we only have a little over a month until the expansion, not long at all to wait.

in Engineer

lorddarkflare.9186

Man, between MH and OH, pistol has 1 (One) really good skill. Everything else is barely worth using.

I know people crow about rifle being bad, but Pistol’s state is DIRE.

in Engineer

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

I’d argue two. Static Shot is a very good skill. An on-demand instant ranged blind that hits multiple targets is pretty useful defensively. It’s my go-to opener if an opponent charges at me. Blind, then hit them with Blowtorch as they miss their first attack. It also racks up lots of damage if there are only 2 enemies close to each other.

The rest of the pistol skills are weak. Poison dart volley takes too long and doesn’t do enough damage. The autoattack doesn’t apply enough pressure, and Glue Shot is short range, slow to fire/land, and doesn’t immob for very long.

Also, despite all that, Blowtorch is SO GOOD it makes up for the rest of pistol’s weaknesses.

in Engineer

lorddarkflare.9186

I would argue that it does not make up for them, but it IS really good.

I DO agree that Pistol 2 is useful, but in most other weapons it would not be worth pointing out. But the bar is so, so low.