Thinking about rolling an engineer!

in Engineer

Posted by: Treadstone.2564

Treadstone.2564

I love the concept behind engineers, but all the negativity surrounding the class is a bit off-putting.

How are engineers at solo PvE? I plan on doing some dungeons and PvP, but most of my time is going to be spent doing events and hearts.

I was also wondering if anyone had any tips on how to develop my engineer so that I’m not too weak. Thanks!

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

Engies are wrecking balls in solo/pve. True story.

Have fun! You will, I promise.

Just play. Nades are easy mode

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Engineers are a blast! They’re not chosen first for paid tournaments or high fractals but don’t let that stop you from rolling one. Doing well on an engi is like being the kid in gym class who gets picked last for dodgeball, and then owning everyone

We just got an important fix to PvE kits, but there are still a lot of bugs left. It can be frustrating if you’re not ready for it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Manticore Five.9867

Manticore Five.9867

Engineers are just fine for easymode PvE, where your biggest challenge is getting to the next map point.

It’s only when you compare it to other classes that you start seeing problems. You know, AFTER you spent the time in PvE building it up.

Unless you do something silly like use flamethrower kit. Then you’ll notice the problems a bit earlier.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

Engineers are just fine for easymode PvE, where your biggest challenge is getting to the next map point.

It’s only when you compare it to other classes that you start seeing problems. You know, AFTER you spent the time in PvE building it up.

Unless you do something silly like use flamethrower kit. Then you’ll notice the problems a bit earlier.

I have had all professions to 80 for some time. I spent time indungeons, sPvP, and WvW with all as well. I still main an engineer, and my personal experience Contradicts this “claim”.

Manticore, what classes have you leveled to 80 and put in equivalent gear to that of your 80 engineer to, that qualified you to repeatedly claim they are all better then the engineer?

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

All the negativity is because of all the nerfs and bugs this class has had, and a lot of people see the devs’ hybrid-tax philosophy on the engineer as detrimental seeing as how the elementalist doesn’t suffer from it. That being said, this class has picked up since the last patch and we’re more viable than we were last month due to some much needed bug-fixes. Don’t expect playing to be easy though, engineer is a very difficult class to excel at, especially when you compare it to other classes which are at their best when playing a certain aspect of the game (ie guardians, warriors and thiefs).

When it comes to PvE, soloing is always going to be easy no matter what class you take. You will have to kite and work harder than other classes as an engineer, but most engineer builds do fairly well in open world PvE. Just don’t expect it to be as easy as a warrior or a ranger. Dungeons however, are always based on player skill. You can run glass cannon engineer and do decent damage if you’re great at avoiding damage. If you’re not that good at avoiding damage, then you’re better off going for a bunker build. If you do badly in dungeons, people might think they’re better off with another guardian in the party. On the other hand if you’re good, then people will appreciate it.

in Engineer

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

I disagree that PvE is easy no matter the class. Thief is an absolute kitten underwater and against many skill points, at least until the 30s-40s where the horror lessens a bit. I also had a nightmare in early levels of asura Engineer, mostly due to personaly story bugs, where I’d get ganked my masses of mobs, because npc allies stood around doing nothing for pretty much all of the fight.
My limited experience of engi is that it’s heckuva lot of fun. Play the class with a light heart but going into battle with preparation and you’ll have fun. If you want to play for a laugh, go asura starter. If you want people to underestimate you, then experience the true terror of your blasphemous, fiery countenance and despairing at the horrific visage of their impending DOOM! – cough sorry – Move on to Charr.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

That can be said for any profession. They all feel abnormally weak at the lower levels in which trait points and utility skills are very limited and we have no elites yet. The thief is not unique in this feeling.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

I disagree that PvE is easy no matter the class. Thief is an absolute kitten underwater and against many skill points, at least until the 30s-40s where the horror lessens a bit. I also had a nightmare in early levels of asura Engineer, mostly due to personaly story bugs, where I’d get ganked my masses of mobs, because npc allies stood around doing nothing for pretty much all of the fight.
My limited experience of engi is that it’s heckuva lot of fun. Play the class with a light heart but going into battle with preparation and you’ll have fun. If you want to play for a laugh, go asura starter. If you want people to underestimate you, then experience the true terror of your blasphemous, fiery countenance and despairing at the horrific visage of their impending DOOM! – cough sorry – Move on to Charr.

From experience from myself and friends, the engineer, thief, mesmer and elementalist have hard times in lower levels because of the way the classes are built and balanced. Elementalist has a high learning curve in lower levels (due to having access to all atunements), while mesmer, thief and engineer have a hard time because they don’t yet have access to their full arsenal until about level forty (sixty for engineers). Meanwhile Rangers, guardians and warriors tend to have an easysause time at lower levels.

Higher level open world PvE evens out as you get better at playing your class.