Thinking of making an engineer (PVE)

in Engineer

Posted by: Moonrabbit.1543

Moonrabbit.1543

I have been leveling an elementalist in PVE. Although I like the mobility of D/D, I dislike the slow cast times and squishiness.

After doing a bit of research, it appears to me that the engineer has many of the same strengths as the elementalist (AoE damage, CC, combo fields), a little less mobility (no RtL but perma-swiftness via speedy kits), better damage mitigation and health, better downed state abilities, and perhaps most important, faster cast and recharge times.

I have several questions that I would appreciate your help in answering.

1. I am thinking something like this spec:

http://en.gw2codex.com/build/19098][IMG]http://en.gw2codex.com/build/19098/sign

Grenades for distance, bombs for close range, pistols to stack condition damage. The only advantage I could see the rifle providing would be the ability to get into/out of range with ability 5.

Any thoughts about the usefulness of pistols vs. rifle with this build?

Any other suggestions for changes?

2. My impression is that engineers are capable of putting out at least as much damage as elementalists with arguably better burst. Is this a fair assessment?

3. Supply crate gets a lot of positive reviews. Can one actually use (aim or self-destruct) the turrets, or are they controlled by AI for the duration?

4. Any thoughts on short fuse vs. explosive powder? I have read that the latter does not work with grenades.

5. Most engineers are Charr or Asura. Does anyone actually use the charrzooka over supply crate?

6. Most of my preferred names have already been taken. Is anyone aware of a GW2 name generator that is suitable for engineers?

Note: Edited to add question about relative damage.

(edited by Moderator)

in Engineer

Posted by: Twoflower.3176

Twoflower.3176

I’m a human engy, but I’m running rifle / flamethrower / turrets. Unconventional and not the most optimal, but grenade lobbing’s just too boring.

I LOVE supply crate, though. It’s a good tool for holding down a point or softening up a boss. The turrets are AI controlled, so you can’t juice or destroy them, but with the Explosive Turrets trait they will explode and do damage when clobbered.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zidijan.4826

Zidijan.4826

The engineer won’t often be able to get more damage, support, or control than another class. However, an engineer can roll with a very decent amount of all 3 in a single build, which only the elementalist can really do. Engineers are really the best utility class, as they can bring something for every situation packed into one single build

in Engineer

Posted by: Mongo.2490

Mongo.2490

1. Honestly, I wouldn’t plan much. I went into it thinking I’d use grenades and bombs all the time, but it turned into me using rifle and gadgets, mostly. I would try it before you try to plan a build. Bombs can be kinda irritating to use.

2. I wouldn’t agree about the burst.. or the damage. Engineers aren’t exactly consistent, with our condition build being less than satisfactory at the moment (seems on par with every other condition build though .. unloved). However, engineers are all about adapting to situations. It’s not just about maximum DPS.

3. AI.

4. Pretty sure they fixed this in the last patch. Could be wrong.

5. Nope. Maybe once or twice to say “Hey look what I got!!” But .. most people never touch it. Charr and Asura fit the role of an engineer really well. I picked human just because the armor looks better on them.. and in the end, looks are all that matters from a race.

6. Honestly, the best name generator I’ve ever found was not a name generator at all, but a word creator. It gave me my engineer name, “Thwackstat”. http://www.randomwordmachine.com/ I have a lot of fun with it.

in Engineer

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

Grenades are not that good before you get the Grenadier trait which is level 60+.
I think you’ll have a much smoother experience with Rifle or Pistol/Pistol and Elixirs, plus maybe Flamethrower to tag foes during events until you hit level 60.

2.) There are some crazy builds for all professions; I’ve seen both Elementalists and Engineers burst for something like 20k+, but overall Engineers can properly do it more consistently and with less sacrifices.

in Engineer

Posted by: AndrewWaltfeld.4621

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

Just for dungeons alone, changing your utility skills alone which can result in completely different play-style for engineers without the need to change your traits is definitely a plus.