This aggro made me laugh

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: Nepocrates.3642

Nepocrates.3642

Ok we were discussing how to take down a boss in the other room. I was adjusting my skills for upcoming fight and had not even targeted the boss or anything for that matter. We were down the hall looking at the boss in the other room. I had no turrets out and I was not in combat. Then our over zealous warrior pulls the boss before checking to see if everyone was ready. I see everyone run down the hall and attack the boss I am closing me screen and select my elixir gun at the far end of the hall. Still not in combat. That is when I noticed the boss, who runs by all of my group, down the hall and 2 shots me, 1st knocked me down and the second finished me. I did not even get a chance to target him.

Some mobs just really hate engineers to even kill one that was not even attacking them or engage in combat.

none the less it was funny

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

This is the real reason they gave us so much swiftness.

[SFD] – Maguuma

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

what swiftness? engineers have a lot less swiftness than most classes.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Awesome.6120

You are joking, right?

[SFD] – Maguuma

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

what swiftness? engineers have a lot less swiftness than most classes.

not sure if srs 78910

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Esrever.8613

1 elixir and crit for swiftness isn’t much.

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Awesome.6120

Do you even play an engi?

[SFD] – Maguuma

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: achmed.6542

achmed.6542

probably hasnt found traits yet ^^

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: Zidijan.4826

Zidijan.4826

Check out the trait “Speedy Kits” in the Tools line (I believe). It gives 5 seconds of swiftness every time you equikittent on a 5 second cooldown, ie, if you keep swapping your kit out, you can permanently maintain swiftness.

In response to OP’s post, it’s toughness. More than likely, your team had basically no toughness, opting for mostly glass cannon builds, and you were specced for the tough bomberman build that gets you the “bombs heal allies” trait.

Your toughness seems to do some crazy things with the aggro system in that it may be so high that monsters completely forget about the fact that they should naturally target the closest enemy to them before checking stats.

My advice: get a more balanced team. A lot of people say that hybrids aren’t useful in this game, but that’s completely false. This is one of the few games where even if you get your damage stats to be very competitive, you should still have trait points to spend on things like vitality or toughness. Otherwise, you’ll be a victim of the curse of toughness and it will bring you more aggro than toughness can mitigate.

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Awesome.6120

You don’t even need speedy kits. An elixir build just needs to cycle B and throw B. Add in an H if throw B is unlucky. Stack up a minute+ of swiftness very easily.

We have multiple ways of maintaining perma-swift.

[SFD] – Maguuma

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

Not to mention we also have 50% base uptime swiftness on medkit 5….

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

Yeah, it is kind of a really bad idea to post on a topic if your not educated in it at all. It is a horrible manner to spread mis-information. A single tier 1 major traits gives 100% up time to swiftness with any kit

As well, with rune of the centaur set and med kit, you can have power if you use it in your build and 100% up time AoE swiftness

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Esrever.8613

I somehow miss 1 trait and everyone is up in arms. Gosh yall. Almost every other light/medium class can maintain swiftness just as well and some have a 10% base speed bonus so engineer isn’t really that special.

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Awesome.6120

You should really learn to quit when you’re behind.

[SFD] – Maguuma

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

I somehow miss 1 trait and everyone is up in arms. Gosh yall. Almost every other light/medium class can maintain swiftness just as well and some have a 10% base speed bonus so engineer isn’t really that special.

Well it isn’t that you missed something. The issue is that someone posted an accurate comment and you replied with a snarky comment, countering it with mis information.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Esrever.8613

Well it isn’t that you missed something. The issue is that someone posted an accurate comment and you replied with a snarky comment, countering it with mis information.

read again, first post I was asking. Second post since everyone nobody was answering, I posted what I thought. I wonder who is posting snarky comments you speak of.

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: Michaeas Magister.1589

Michaeas Magister.1589

Ok we were discussing how to take down a boss in the other room. I was adjusting my skills for upcoming fight and had not even targeted the boss or anything for that matter. We were down the hall looking at the boss in the other room. I had no turrets out and I was not in combat. Then our over zealous warrior pulls the boss before checking to see if everyone was ready. I see everyone run down the hall and attack the boss I am closing me screen and select my elixir gun at the far end of the hall. Still not in combat. That is when I noticed the boss, who runs by all of my group, down the hall and 2 shots me, 1st knocked me down and the second finished me. I did not even get a chance to target him.

Some mobs just really hate engineers to even kill one that was not even attacking them or engage in combat.

none the less it was funny

Yeah, I can relate. My wife had gone ahead of me while I was mining a node and had started fighting a wurm. As soon as I came upon the scene, without even firing a shot, the wurm tunneled under her and ALL of her clones and came straight for me.

Afterwards, she commented, “Yeah, right. No such thing as Engineer aggro my a**!!”

On the plus side, I have gotten really adept at running/dodging while fighting. I have had several people ask me how I hold aggro so well and I don’t really know what to tell them other than, “I’m an Engineer?”

Thanks.

It’s as I have always said,
“You can get more results with a kind word and a big stick,
than you can with merely a kind word.”

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

This happens to my engineer all of the time. There is some kind of bug that makes them get aggro when they shouldn’t. It doesn’t happen to my warrior or necromancer, ever.

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: Bakimono.4639

Bakimono.4639

I was under the impression that aggro was basically random in this game… an old guildmate of mine worked out a formula for determining aggro in GW2…

Get 4 6-sided die
roll them and write down the numbers on a piece of paper;
fold the paper in half and disregard the numbers and flip a coin;
disregard the coin toss.

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: ravic.3742

ravic.3742

Were you higher level than the other in your group? A huge amount of NPC aggro depends on what level you are relative on everyone around you, even if everyone is downleveled.

Khaej – 80 Norn Engineer
Ouroboros Protocol [OP] – Dragonbrand

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

Yea, there is another thread on this forum, where we discuss if engineers are agro grabers, even if we dont want to…

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Nepocrates.3642

@ Michaeas Magister
Yeah I have gotten real good at running around and dodging too.

@ravic
Nope we were all level 80

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Posted by: Kozai.8269

Kozai.8269

In another MMO the developers talked about an aspect of AI for the critters where once they were engaged, they “saw” the whole party, and to keep combat varied they could have random factors to make them engage anyone in the group, even the stealthed person around the corner. I don’t know if this game has that, but it seems possible.

This aggro made me laugh

in Engineer

Nepocrates.3642

In another MMO the developers talked about an aspect of AI for the critters where once they were engaged, they “saw” the whole party, and to keep combat varied they could have random factors to make them engage anyone in the group, even the stealthed person around the corner. I don’t know if this game has that, but it seems possible.

The amount of aggro I get I must be the luckiest player around. I run with a Elementalist, Warrior most of the time. I can say in almost every battle I get aggro . I have become real good at running them around. In fact or last dungeon together I ran around healing myself as the other killed the mobs. It was so funny that everyone was commenting on it. If fact the plan was this; Someone else pull, I run around healing myself, everyone else kill.

But here is the weird thing , if I arm myself with my elixir gun I rarely get aggro. anything else = aggro magnet.