Time to fix engineer downed state abilities

in Engineer

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

3 make 2 but also make you ’’volatile’’ 3 – you have become so ’’volatile’’ you explode in a rage knocking down players around you and applying retaliation to allies, unfortunately you are now in 3 thousand tiny pieces.

or -

3: a turret of your choice comes out of your coat, you are able to fire and protect yourself while this is active.

mwahahaha.

in Engineer

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I would like to see “Always Prepared!” To change your #1 skill from “Throw Junk!” To “Fire Experimental Bullet!” Which would have the same effects as Throw Junk but deal SIGNIFICANTLY more physical damage and increase the condi effectiveness and maybe even the range, I’d say have it boost the damage on the other downed skills too, but I feel those are ok…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Engineer

Posted by: Kalan.9705

Kalan.9705

Throw Junk is pretty aptly named.

in Engineer

Posted by: Newbie.4586

Newbie.4586

Remove current #3 and add fireworks with no cooldown.

Since #3 is so useless due to the long cooldown, how about this change? At least we have a cheerful death.

Ha Ha, I second this request.

Or at least speed up the projectile speed on the grapple line so I can actually hit people with it… If it was intended to save other downed players it would be nice if it actually hit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

It’s 3 skills (4 is universal)… it’s a bit ridiculous how imbalanced they still are for all the different classes this far into the game…. and eng has it by far the worst.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Engineer

Posted by: wondergod.2498

wondergod.2498

Although I agree our down state sucks, you must admit we have Elixer R. Which in a lot of cases is way more helpful than what most classes have.

I’d be afraid if they “fixed” our down skills they’d nerf Elixir R even more. Like half the revive speed or something. In other words be careful what you ask for. (We want weapon sigils!!….“ok….fine…..but take lower damage grenades”)

Plus we all know that know that no one from Anet even bothers to read this forum. Look at how long we’ve needed a fix for Legendaries and backpacks….

in Engineer

Aberrant.6749

Although I agree our down state sucks, you must admit we have Elixer R. Which in a lot of cases is way more helpful than what most classes have.

I’d be afraid if they “fixed” our down skills they’d nerf Elixir R even more. Like half the revive speed or something. In other words be careful what you ask for. (We want weapon sigils!!….“ok….fine…..but take lower damage grenades”)

Plus we all know that know that no one from Anet even bothers to read this forum. Look at how long we’ve needed a fix for Legendaries and backpacks….

Other classes have better downed stats while having better revive skills than eng…

Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

No. I will not admit anything.

My downed states performance should not be dependant on a skill i can use that might help rally myself. My downed state itself is still kitten.

And we arent the only ones. Try Thief and Shadow Refuge. They get a long Stealth even if downed and can Shadow Escape out of the AoE and just heal themselves. They’ll rally before the stealth even expires, and it has a shorter cooldown and if they dont get downed it still grants healing and stealth so its always usefull’!

So we are not the only ones with such self-help abilities. And yet Thief is on the top of the food-chain when it comes to downed state abilities.

in Engineer

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

Skill 2 needs to be merged with 3 : pull to you, then knockback with AoE. That’s the interrupt.

Skill 3 should be an escape skill, I’m not asking for the OP mistform, but something similar that you can target, move away and enter keep portals. Why not:

Rocket boots
Ground targeted like Riffle 5, same range as Mistform, but you are not invulnerable to attacks. Can enter portals (just like with Riffle 5) Cooldown 10sec. Still a lot less powerful than Mistform which is, mildly speaking – god mode.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

Since #3 is so useless due to the long cooldown, how about this change? At least we have a cheerful death.

If the enemy doesn’t start stomping you the moment you go down, if you wait for the last moment to use #2, you’ll be able to use #3 to counter the next stomp.

in Engineer

Aberrant.6749

If the enemy doesn’t start stomping you the moment you go down, if you wait for the last moment to use #2, you’ll be able to use #3 to counter the next stomp.

…unless you get blocked by anything what so ever… and now compare that to thief/mes/guard/ele/necro/ranger downed skills. Heck… at least warrior 3 lets you get back up and rally if you kill something… or reposition yourself for a post death res.

Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

…unless you get blocked by anything what so ever… and now compare that to thief/mes/guard/ele/necro/ranger downed skills. Heck… at least warrior 3 lets you get back up and rally if you kill something… or reposition yourself for a post death res.

Noone besides eles and mesmers has a 100% chance to prevent the first stomp.

Also warriors die after their #3 downed skill unless traited for it. And when they die the die, they don’t go back to downed state.

in Engineer

Aberrant.6749

Noone besides eles and mesmers has a 100% chance to prevent the first stomp.

Also warriors die after their #3 downed skill unless traited for it. And when they die the die, they don’t go back to downed state.

That doesn’t mean that eng still doesn’t have the worst chance (along with warrior) of stopping that first stomp. Others can be countered, but not as easily. A mesmer needs a target in order to use their #2 so it’s not 100% btw… but it’s obviously superior to the eng #2.

Warriors have a chance to live if they kill something regardless of being traited or not. They still get the benefit of being able to get up, use all their normal skills, and move around regardless though.

Tarnished Coast

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in Engineer

Posted by: AsmallChicken.9634

AsmallChicken.9634

Our 3 skill should let us kill ourselves instantly so we can WP faster. Better than what we have now.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

FIX THE ENG DOWNED SKILLS!!!!!

Playing around in WvW yesterday (taking on outnubmered fights to see how long I could survive) and I couldn’t get the downed #2 to work! Not once! Not ever!

Between stability and lag, the #2 never interrupted a stomp on me. I’d target the stomper, press #2 and wait … and lie there watching while they completed their stomp. Whatever the #2 was doing, it wasn’t interrupting the stomp.

I rallied a few times, but only someone else finished off the enemy I had targeted as I went down. I got to use the #3 once when there was a group standing around hitting me down slowly rather than trying to stomp me. (This was one of the groups I’d fought/lost to a few times, and I think they were just mucking around proving how crappy the Eng’s downed skills are.)

In 15-20 times of being downed, the only downed skill that was any use at all was #3, and because of its slow charge-up I only got to use it once.

Even removing the #2 downed skill would be better than giving us hope that it will work and then dashing that hope as it fails time after time to interrupt stomps.

in Engineer

Kalan.9705

Nearly a year now, surely it’s embarrassing that engineer downed skills are still so unbalanced.

in Engineer

Posted by: FlamingForce.6389

FlamingForce.6389

Maybe weird, but, aren’t downed skills ment to be a bit useless?
Like: “agh! I’m down! Here let me grab this …. Loaf of bread to give you one more slap!”

But still.. The CD is just too long on skill 2. 3 is arguable aswell, it’s a nice finisher interupt in PvP and WvW, but why would you want to pull something that’s trying to killing you, near you?

That’s what you would think until you fight a downed ranger

in Engineer

Posted by: FirstInfantry.2795

FirstInfantry.2795

i get the complaints but if you die you’re not even suppose to get back up being downed is the same as being defeated/dead. Only difference is when you downed, i now get the chance to shove a flag up yours… Well I guess i could also say its suppose to give you a slight chance of getting back up if your enemy is near dead whatever the circumstances may be. I don’t really see the point of improving the downstate cause even mesmers and thieves once they down hard chance of them getting back up if you understand how their down state works.

in Engineer

FlamingForce.6389

i get the complaints but if you die you’re not even suppose to get back up being downed is the same as being defeated/dead. Only difference is when you downed, i now get the chance to shove a flag up yours… Well I guess i could also say its suppose to give you a slight chance of getting back up if your enemy is near dead whatever the circumstances may be. I don’t really see the point of improving the downstate cause even mesmers and thieves once they down hard chance of them getting back up if you understand how their down state works.

That still doesn’t take away the fact that the downed states need to be somewhat equalized across the board, either by buffing the bad ones or nerfing the good ones into the ground.

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

And yet in WvW for a certain profession it is infact not defeat. He simply can throw his life away and just use his downed state to get to safety and not be defeated. Rince and repeat.

And while being downed is a desperate state, the chances of comming out of it alive is much greater for certain professions then it is for other. I get up noticeably more often on my Thief after being downed then on my Engineer, much more often.

Downed state is not an auto defeakittens where you’re close to being defeated but you have a shot at ralying. The longer you can stay alive while downed the better your chances of rallying on a kill, or from help. Professions that have a much better downed state will die less often.

in Engineer

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

Engineers downed definitely needs a fix, our 2 is actually a negative in most situations which is totally ridiculous.

A realistic suggestion:

• Skill 1: No change
  • Skill 2: Replace with 3
  • Skill 3: Something original, perhaps an elixir which halts natural hp degen a couple seconds or a device which blocks projectiles a couple seconds.

Skill 3 should not be replaced with something extremely OP like a full supply drop, just something which can help keep you alive a couple seconds more.

in Engineer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Hrm, a random elixir would be fun. Either it halts natural HP degeneration for 20s or regenerates half the missing health instantly?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Engineer

Kalan.9705

Seriously. Can we get fricken attention on our downed state?

in Engineer

Aberrant.6749

+1,000. Some classes get 100% stomp avoidance invuln + move… other get… a projectile that pulls your opponent closer.

It’s 3 kitten skills (4th is universal). Balance them.

Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I like the engi downed skills, they are pretty handy if you’ve used up the enemies stability during the main fight.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

I agree with what was said in the other thread. I would prefer to think of other professions’ downed states as too powerful instead of our downed state as too weak. Semantics maybe, but I just think the downed state should be much closer to actually being dead than it really is for most professions.

For the game as a whole, downed state should be weaker IMO. In lieu of that, sure our downed state should be brought up to par with the others so it’s more fair, but I would really rather just make the others weaker so downed state is not as powerful for some as it currently is.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Aberrant.6749

Most people don’t like it when they get nerfed (to say the least). They do like it when they are buffed though. That leads me to think for PR instead of nerfing multiple classes downed states it would be better for them to buff it (from a-net’s POV).

Personally I agree if you’ve been downed it should be an “oh kitten” moment and not just oh hey I get these 3 awesome skills to play with now or “meh…” trololol vapor form into a tower/keep…

Idc as much which way they go as long as it’s better balanced in the end though…

Tarnished Coast

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in Engineer

Carighan.6758

Most people don’t like it when they get nerfed (to say the least). They do like it when they are buffed though. That leads me to think for PR instead of nerfing multiple classes downed states it would be better for them to buff it (from a-net’s POV).

That’s assuming the game doesn’t exist, only sPvP where players exclusively fight each other with no other mechanics present.

Since it does, there’s always one of either nerfing or buffing which is the “correct” answer. Unless you have a work student who’s happy readjusting 14000 PvE entities :P

Also, being a Mesmer I have never felt strong when on the ground. I can survive a stomp, yes. I’m dead long before it would finish because honestly people don’t stomp in WvW, they kill you (and that’s what happens in PvE, in any case). Elementalists are the odd one out, but it’s a nice unique point IMO. It improves the game to have elements like this. Should add more like it (and I don’t mean more vapour forms!).

Maybe this is more of a problem with sPvP, not with the downed skills? They need a rebalance, but some being stomp-avoiders while others are interrupters is virtually unavoidable.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Engineer

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

god anet please do something about dem down skills. almost every other class have something that helps res them (guardians and rangers) or something that could stealth them or teleport them (mesmers, eles, thiefs) something that could even fear or just rise up all together (necro and warriors) but the engi has a rope, bolts, and an explosion, and pretty much worthless in both pve, wvw, and pvp (too many counters in wvw/pvp and if your target is not almost dead in pve, you can’t do the damage to kill them)

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

in Engineer

Posted by: Sobat.8650

Sobat.8650

New skill 2, engineer now channels for 1 second strapping a belt of explosives and elixirs onto themselves. After a 1 second delay, activate blowout + some healing effect.
(Skill is available 1 second after being downed)

Skill 3, engineer detonates rocket boots, blasting off backwards for 600 range while burning enemies with exhaust.
(Skill is available 4 seconds after being downed)

in Engineer

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I disagree. I think that the engineer’s downstate is the top tier. The downside is that stability makes engy’s downstate skill worthless. There is exactly two interrupts in there. If the enemy is already on top of you, then the interrupt is worth as much as warrior’s hammer knockdown.

Engineer’s stomp is better than thieves. Why even though thieves can prevent two stomps? Because engineers downstate has much more utility. Not only you can prevent their own death but also pull enemies away from what they are doing. Also, most players already know the annoyance of the thief’s #3 down skill. So they can just auto-attack the thief down until they die, which removes the purpose of the stealth. If a player auto-attack engineers down state, they will be pulled and/or exploded away.

Also, if you have 3 enemies on top of you, you can pull the 4th enemy that is going somewhere else. There is no need for too many cooks in the kitchen.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Engineer

Posted by: VIVorcha.7853

VIVorcha.7853

I disagree. I think that the engineer’s downstate is the top tier. The downside is that stability makes engy’s downstate skill worthless. There is exactly two interrupts in there. If the enemy is already on top of you, then the interrupt is worth as much as warrior’s hammer knockdown.

Engineer’s stomp is better than thieves. Why even though thieves can prevent two stomps? Because engineers downstate has much more utility. Not only you can prevent their own death but also pull enemies away from what they are doing. Also, most players already know the annoyance of the thief’s #3 down skill. So they can just auto-attack the thief down until they die, which removes the purpose of the stealth. If a player auto-attack engineers down state, they will be pulled and/or exploded away.

Also, if you have 3 enemies on top of you, you can pull the 4th enemy that is going somewhere else. There is no need for too many cooks in the kitchen.

I hope you’re joking.

Pulling an enemy over so they can more easily damage you is totally counter-productive.

Booby Trap is an interrupt, and would be fine if it was 2nd skill, but the third skill is supposed to be potentially life saving.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

I probably said it six months ago, but I do think the Engineer downed state should have some conditions attached. Bleeds on the pull and a Burn on the bomb for example. It was also suggested a long time ago that the Pull work like the Harpoon Gun variant and allow you to push yourself backwards if you make contact with someone. That would give it a little more counterplay.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in Engineer

Carighan.6758

Booby Trap is an interrupt, and would be fine if it was 2nd skill, but the third skill is supposed to be potentially life saving.

That doesn’t hold up for half the classes in the game.

Really, there’s no “supposed to be”. Classes’ downstates are very different.
Is Engineer too weak? Yes, but I think mostly due to Booby Trap not being what you’d expect (when cast, next person to successfully finish you instead gets blown away, lasts X seconds). This is more of a style issue to me though, “Booby Trap” implies something with it’s name.

in Engineer

Posted by: VIVorcha.7853

VIVorcha.7853

Is Engineer too weak? Yes, but I think mostly due to Booby Trap not being what you’d expect (when cast, next person to successfully finish you instead gets blown away, lasts X seconds). This is more of a style issue to me though, “Booby Trap” implies something with it’s name.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_downed_skills

Guardians and Rangers have powerful heals that are easily capable of self revive, as well as powerful disables. Warriors can get up and fight normally. Thieves have two powerful escape skills. Mesmers have two clone skills that can distract or even kill the enemy. Necros have Fear and a skill that damages enemies around them. Elementalists have an escape skill and an immobilize.

Those are all incredibly useful. Engineers got a skill that pulls the enemy to them, and a skill that’s only as useful as the 2 skill for Guardians.

in Engineer

FlamingForce.6389

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_downed_skills

Guardians and Rangers have powerful heals that are easily capable of self revive, as well as powerful disables. Warriors can get up and fight normally. Thieves have two powerful escape skills. Mesmers have two clone skills that can distract or even kill the enemy. Necros have Fear and a skill that damages enemies around them. Elementalists have an escape skill and an immobilize.

Those are all incredibly useful. Engineers got a skill that pulls the enemy to them, and a skill that’s only as useful as the 2 skill for Guardians.

Also Necro #1 downed actually heals them

in Engineer

Posted by: Grenix.1576

Grenix.1576

Downed state 1: fine i guess, throwng junk for some DPS is like the only thing that might get me back up.

Downed state 2: Yes, works fine somtimes when not massivly ganged. pull the one finishing you or your other downed companions. IF not blinded and IF not stability is on with the target IF not out of range and IF not obrstucted by something random then this could make a minor difrance. i spose…

Downed state 3: wow you guys ever get to use this skill? amazing… IF it works its ok..

Downed state 4: Life saving skill! You only need to be not interupted for 2 min, same like any class!