Tips Needed in PvP

Tips Needed in PvP

in Engineer

Posted by: yLoon.5289

yLoon.5289

Dear Veteran Engineer Players,
Guardian was my main for pvp, and now i have chosen Engineer as my second pvp class and I’m loving it.
I’ve been using the Power Hammer Paladin build from Metabattle. After numerous of matches, here’s my conceptions of playing an engineer on that build:

1) High sustain and easily disengage from fight, but difficult to defend a point.
2) Which class are we good and bad against?
3) Are we just good in capping huge point? I find it hard to defend in a small point.
4) Our roles are mainly on ressing and sustain? I find it hard to down a player without anyone’s help.
5) I felt that Engineer can’t carry a bad team ;(

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Any comments will be appreciated. =D

12K AP
Level 54 Bear Rank

Tips Needed in PvP

in Engineer

Posted by: Dimes.6024

Dimes.6024

Nope, you felt it wrong. Engi is good in defending 1v2 for high amount of time, if defensive skills rotated properly. But ofc half of the game you do res and save your teammates.
As for 5th, if your team looses a 4v3 battle, noone will carry.

Tips Needed in PvP

in Engineer

Posted by: ApaWanka.2698

ApaWanka.2698

As said before, main reason to use an engi is rez people. Sneak Gyro is better for that, so its good if your plan is go to the teamfight. But if you need to carry or play as holder, Elixir X is better.

1. As Dimes said before, Scrapper can keep a point on 2vs1 if you use your defensive skills properly. But there are some classes that you cant deal with.

2. Elixir X will help you with the most problematic profesions (power war), if you dont have Elixir X and you are starting to use Engi, its better to run and disengage

3. The only profesion who have stronger dps on point is Trapper DH (in addition to power war), against the rest, you should be able to keep fighting on point on 1v1 or 1v2. (Dont try 1vs2 if one of them is a reaper or DH you can deal with them on 1v1, but they apply too much preasure to try 1v2 if he/she knows how to play it). Against the rest, you can outsustain them fighting on point if you use your skills properly.

4. Rez is easy with Sneak Gyro… use it to rez if is not on CD. You can double rez using your utility gyro (dont foget that) and if they cleave and destroy it, you will have better sustain to keep rezing (still have pasive elixir S to save you. )

5. Any player can carry a really bad team, but engi is one of the best to carry an average team. You can be usefull on teamfight, good dueler/holder and medium-high movility. Look the map and read the enemies/friends movements to be on the right place…. if you want to carry, is the most important thing.

I hpe this can help you, dont hesitate to ask something if you didnt undestand or want to know something more !!

Good luck

(edited by ApaWanka.2698)

Tips Needed in PvP

in Engineer

Posted by: Ivantreil.3092

Ivantreil.3092

Ill give you a tip:

If surviving has been a big issue in general, i would recommend you to take Elixir S over Purge Gyro (assuming you are running the meta scrapper build), Elixir S will grant you an immunity activable at any moment, and a Stealth that its very useful for escape or disengage.

PvP Rifle Engi player no matter how dark the meta is.

Metabattle: Drunk Engineer build

Tips Needed in PvP

in Engineer

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

I don’t have time to write a full guide, but here are some videos that will help. Both are from Jebro who is a very knowledgeable player and caster (not the best a pvp, but a good engineer). His menders build is great, and its really strong in ranked. He’s got a lot of commentary on his channel and streams engineer too.

Build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDSzdgiY5zI&ab_channel=UnityJebro
Gameplay (Paladin): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAhvJl8R22M&ab_channel=UnityJebro

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

Tips Needed in PvP

in Engineer

yLoon.5289

Hi guys, thank you sooo much for the tips, really appreciate it!
The reason i said that its difficult to defend a point was due to Elixir Gun skill 4. Quite often i failed at swapping back to Hammer and kinda jump away from point. xD
Guess I need more practice to swap at the right time.

Lost almost every placement match while using my Engr. Then i realized, most of the team mate I ressed, were newbies and died shortly after rally! Either the Teef teleport away or they are furiously tapping 1 and broke stealth lol. Nevertheless, manage to get into Gold tier 2, matches are not as volatile now, at least these teammates are worth the ress xD. So I think i wouldn’t recommend anyone using engineer for placement matches.

Just one more question, how do I avoid using gyro stomp? Because i want to save it for ressing. Was it from the setting key or something?

12K AP
Level 54 Bear Rank

(edited by yLoon.5289)

Tips Needed in PvP

in Engineer

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Just one more question, how do I avoid using gyro stomp? Because i want to save it for ressing. Was it from the setting key or something?

Get all close and personal, watch the F tooltip.

Tips Needed in PvP

in Engineer

Posted by: scorekeeper.6524

scorekeeper.6524

1) High sustain and easily disengage from fight, but difficult to defend a point.

Actually we are the best class suited for defending points especially when outnumbered 2 v 1, and in rare cases 1 v 3. Since we are not a broken class like the DH our job is to create havoc at far, hoping our team will take advantage of that. The key is to not die. The more you die the more time the enemy has to kill your teammates rather than focus on dealing with you constantly capping their far. So rotate away when you are getting low, reset, and then head back in. Smart enemies will just let you be, but most people get bloodlust for you which works in your favor (again, assuming your team takes advantage of your position).

2) Which class are we good and bad against?

We can 1 v 1 anyone, except Necro. Their conditions can burst us down pretty quick.

3) Are we just good in capping huge point? I find it hard to defend in a small point.

Learn the trick spots to juke and hide. It’ll frustrate the enemy and help you a lot with survival. If you need help finding some let me know I can show you.

4) Our roles are mainly on ressing and sustain? I find it hard to down a player without anyone’s help.

Use gyro to down people. Down them, press your gyro hotkey and walk away.

5) I felt that Engineer can’t carry a bad team ;(

No class can carry a bad team. Engies can’t even carry good teams though, at least not like a DH or Warrior can. Your way of “carrying” is creating a mess at their home that they constantly have to deal with, taking resources away from capping mid or your home and dealing with you. If you do it right, the enemies swarm to you like flies attracted to a light.

Unless you like long drawn out duels, stick with DH. Or another burst class. Engies are not like the DH at all.

Also, experiment with Menders amulet, the healing will help you vs. Necros. Usually if there is at least 1 Necro or 1 Mesmer on the enemy team I go Menders. Otherwise it’s Paladin for the dmg.

Tips Needed in PvP

in Engineer

yLoon.5289

Hi scorekeeper.6524, thanks for sharing your experience!
No wonder i got downed so fast when vs a Necro & Condi Mesmer ><
Playing Engr makes me felt like Tom & Jerry xD, got chased and somehow just survive at the end.
Yes it is completely different from playing a Guard, that’s why I love it.
Will pm you in game then =p.

12K AP
Level 54 Bear Rank