Toolkit, some questions

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

- Does anyone use the AA against other players? It’s incredibly slow but I’ve seen the third attack crit as high as 10k. I know that Toolkit is more of a utility kit but I’m just curious if anyone tries to get a few auto attack chains off from time to time.

- Has it been said anywhere if the Power Wrench buff will also be improving Toolkit damage or is it just cooldowns that they’re reducing? And about the cooldowns; will this mean that Gear Shield becomes 12 or 14second cooldown (with trait)?

- Does Box Of Nails have any actual value? The bleed and cripple durations are so low… I haven’t checked to see what kind of duration it goes to with a condition build but I can’t imagine very high… Anyone else think this skill needs to be either buffed or changed or am I just not using it properly?

- What is the damage coefficient for Prybar?

Some silly questions, I know, but I’ve only been playing Engi for about 2 months now. I almost immediately made it my new main as I had fallen in love with the class and I feel I’m pretty decent with it as well. Just had a few questions I wanted to ask about my favorite kit since I don’t know any friends that main an Engi.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

1. In PvP, I think no one is using it’s aa. Actually, tool kit isn’t used in the current pvp meta, but even the time it was, most engineers just used magnet, prybar and gear shield. Like you already said, the aa is REAAAAALLY slow and so the dps just isn’t worth it. Even if the 3rd hit can hit kinda hard, you actually won’t hit someone with it. ^^

2. It was just mentioned that the cd reduction will get from 20% up to 33%. No information about the damage increase, but I guess it will stay the same. The cooldown of gear shield will go down to 13,25s.

3. Tool Kit is meant as a melee kit which dosn’t let the enemy get away from you. That’s why you have cripple on auto attack, a pull and cripple on Box Of Nails. But mostly this skill is used if you want to retreat. So, if someone is chasing you, you can cast it to give your enemy cripple. It won’t last long, but it is still a small advantage in speed you get out of it. The skill isn’t worth using it for bleeding damage…

4. The damage coefficient of Prybar is 2.0

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

SpellOfIniquity.1780

1. In PvP, I think no one is using it’s aa. Actually, tool kit isn’t used in the current pvp meta, but even the time it was, most engineers just used magnet, prybar and gear shield. Like you already said, the aa is REAAAAALLY slow and so the dps just isn’t worth it. Even if the 3rd hit can hit kinda hard, you actually won’t hit someone with it. ^^

2. It was just mentioned that the cd reduction will get from 20% up to 33%. No information about the damage increase, but I guess it will stay the same. The cooldown of gear shield will go down to 13,25s.

3. Tool Kit is meant as a melee kit which dosn’t let the enemy get away from you. That’s why you have cripple on auto attack, a pull and cripple on Box Of Nails. But mostly this skill is used if you want to retreat. So, if someone is chasing you, you can cast it to give your enemy cripple. It won’t last long, but it is still a small advantage in speed you get out of it. The skill isn’t worth using it for bleeding damage…

4. The damage coefficient of Prybar is 2.0

.3 makes a lot of sense, I probably should have figured that out myself but I didn’t, lol. Thanks for the response!

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

No one really uses the full auto chain unless the enemy has some sort of projectile denial up and you have no better way of dealing damage. It would be pretty good for downed cleave, but unfortunately the third hit in the chain (the big one) is single target, so you’re mostly better off using other skills.

The trait will probably still stay at +10% damage.

Box of Nails is a lot more useful than you might think. Besides the obvious use when disengaging, it is also one of our best ways to clear blinds. It’s very useful to put down in fights against things like d/p thieves which rely on blinds to put out melee damage. It’s also pretty nice for covering damaging conditions from either yourself or allies.

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

I am a toolkit lover. I began playing engi for it. it seems to me that you forgot a really really important think on box of nail : it is unblockable. Like nades 5 for example , it is a way to put condition on revenants when they reheal … for example

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Box of nails also tics 5 tims over the duration of 4 sec, it’s an “okish” skill indeed.

How do you get that 2.0 coeff at prybar? Wiki says 2.0 too but I ’m not sure how much weapon damage a kit has. 1000?

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

(edited by Xyonon.3987)

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

Uncheck the option of not running through characters/objects, you can stand inside enemy players and hit the AA. No it’s not meta, but if you go glassy hammer, it’s not the worst option for when hammer skills on cd. Thinking stronghold offense maybe.

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

But hammer aa would be better then, wouldn’kitten

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

PierPiero.9142

But hammer aa would be better then, wouldn’kitten

No , it depends on build : toolkit is better in condition builds becouse hammer is not good in conditions builds , pistol pistol is much better and now toolkit is really strong.
they are 2 distinct things obviously but toolkit is really strong now, don’t understimaete it . For power obviously hammer is better but now even the old meta with rifle, nades and toolkit, i belive, will begin really strong. We will se what will happen

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

we’re talking about the aa

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

SpellOfIniquity.1780

No it’s not meta, but if you go glassy hammer, it’s not the worst option for when hammer skills on cd. Thinking stronghold offense maybe.

Pretty much what I do when using the AA. If my major skills are on cooldown and I’m still on top of someone, I swap to Toolkit to see how many AA’s I can get off. Like I said, the final hit can be a whopper sometimes so although it’s hard to get off, I think it can be worth it personally.

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

Landing the 3rd chain on the toolkit feels better than landing a gravedigger. Also who knows it might become meta again with the recent changes.

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

PierPiero.9142

toolkit has never been that great for aa. Even if if you have elixir U ready … with hgh it can be a lot of fun

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Don’t forget if you take Scrapper new trait you could get 3 secs of Quickness. Time it well and you could use it to land that 3d crank blow, cripple your opp, then change to the “normal” big damage skills.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

PierPiero.9142

yes but i don’t know if i ‘d play a build based on tools, scrapper and alchemy .it is strong but i’d choose one of the 2 … scrapper or tools… essentially for having space for something different ( nades… bombs … )

Toolkit, some questions

in Engineer

SpellOfIniquity.1780

yes but i don’t know if i ‘d play a build based on tools, scrapper and alchemy .it is strong but i’d choose one of the 2 … scrapper or tools… essentially for having space for something different ( nades… bombs … )

Actually Alchemy, Tools and Scrapper is exactly what I use. I lack the major sustain that the meta Scrapper has but I don’t mind. Personally, I dislike using builds that play themselves.

With Tools, I have a low cooldown block, higher damage output, a bursty melee range skill (Pry Bar) and faster utility belt cooldowns.

Build here

Magnet → Personal Battering Ram → Thunderclap → Throw Wrench → Rocket Charge → Pry Bar → Launch Personal Battering Ram → Electro-whirl

Massive damage combo. Takes a bit of patience to wait for the right moment but getting that rotation going should down just about anyone. Can’t tell you how many people I’ve screwed over from trying to heal after most of the rotation has gone through just to interrupt them with the toolbelt Battering Ram then finishing them off with Electro-whirl.

Of course the build has it’s flaws but I really enjoy it and it serves me well. Lots of damage, good sustain, easy to prevent kiting with lots of CC and potential for extra burst or extra Stealth with Kinetic Battery.

Toolkit is my favorite kit hands down and of the various builds I’ve tried with Engi, this is my personal fav (: