Turret Cooldown idea

Turret Cooldown idea

in Engineer

Posted by: Stavrosis.9348

Stavrosis.9348

I’m sure this has been suggested before, but I haven’t seen it so I’m going to post my idea anyways.

I feel turrets as of right now are pretty strong. This isn’t a post asking for a buff to turret damage or anything like that. It’s a suggestion for making turrets more mobile, while still promoting a defensive play style.

Basically the idea is that when you place a turret, the cooldown for the turret starts ticking when they are placed instead of when they are destroyed.

I feel that this would make us more mobile with turret builds, but not making them too mobile. It would promote the use of turrets to cap points or for big fights, but would not punish players for an ill timed turret drop.

Even if they have to raise the cooldown of turrets to say, 1 minute, I think this would still be a great improvement from the system it has now.

Turret Cooldown idea

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I dunno. I was an advocate for this in the past when turrets were just plain crappy, but I’m not an advocate for it anymore.

I mean, imagine you’re attacking an engineer, and you manage to cleave down their turrets while fighting over the node. This should give you the advantage. But then pop, pop, and pop, the turrets are all back.

The main downside to turrets is that they aren’t mobile. Making them more mobile removes what helps balance them out. It’s like how warriors have an inherent vulnerability to conditions that balances out their… oh wait, nevermind.

However, this prohibitive mobility does keep them from being massively useful in PvE and WvW. Perhaps if they were to implement this change, it should only apply in those formats, but sPvP should retain the current implementation.

Turret Cooldown idea

in Engineer

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

No.

Instead, keep their immobility there.

Give it a Draw Spirit. or a “Call Turret.”

In PvP, Engineers can place turrets around in all different spots. Two in mid point, one in home point. Then if the engineer gets ganked, he calls turrets to his position and then they face turret hell.

In PvE and WvW, engineers use it to haul around the turrets.

All game mode benefit greatly from this without turrets being another minion clone.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Turret Cooldown idea

in Engineer

Posted by: Wolf.5816

Wolf.5816

My dream:

The trait Deployable Turrets has been changed. You can now equip turrets as Environmental Weapons and use them manually.

• I can walk up to my Rifle Turret.
• Press (A different Key than F to pick it up because there is too much clutter that involves The F Key) and literally pick up my Rifle Turret in my arms.
• Picking Up my Rifle Turret replaces my Weapon Skills with 2 new Skills:
1)Fire Turret: Manually Fires your Currently equipped Turret.
2)Throw Turret: Toss your currently equipped Turret.
• Your Overcharge/Detonate skills remain in their respective locations and can be used at any time.
• While holding Your turret your Fire Turret skill will have a slightly reduced rate of fire. Allowing you to manually fire your turret at a increased rate in exchange of loosing your weapon skills.
•Overcharging your Turret while it is held, will allow you to manually fire your particular Turrets Overcharge at your target with reduced rate of fire. The Ammo (or number of shots) will remain the same.
•Stowing Your Weapon or Swapping To a Kit will cause you to drop the Turret immediately where you stand.
•While Carrying a Turret, it cannot be damaged.

Can you imagine this mechanic in general? Would be good stuff. Now imagine taking the trait Accelerant Packed Turrets and picking up your Healing Turret, holding it over your head and sprinting at some poor bloke, detonating it on him like some kind of crazed Bomberman. Who needs condition removal, or reliable stability!

Completely Amazing and innovative Turret Gameplay. Now that would shake up the meta…… ;P

Veteran of The Mists & Professional Engineer
Dingo King-Hound King-Coyoti King-Thylacine King-Hyena King

(edited by Wolf.5816)

Turret Cooldown idea

in Engineer

Posted by: MonMalthias.4763

MonMalthias.4763

My dream:

The trait Deployable Turrets has been changed. You can now equip turrets as Environmental Weapons and use them manually.

• I can walk up to my Rifle Turret.
• Press (A different Key than F to pick it up because there is too much clutter that involves The F Key) and literally pick up my Rifle Turret in my arms.
• Picking Up my Rifle Turret replaces my Weapon Skills with 2 new Skills:
1)Fire Turret: Manually Fires your Currently equipped Turret.
2)Throw Turret: Toss your currently equipped Turret.
• Your Overcharge/Detonate skills remain in their respective locations and can be used at any time.
• While holding Your turret your Fire Turret skill will have a slightly reduced rate of fire. Allowing you to manually fire your turret at a increased rate in exchange of loosing your weapon skills.
•Overcharging your Turret while it is held, will allow you to manually fire your particular Turrets Overcharge at your target with reduced rate of fire. The Ammo (or number of shots) will remain the same.
•Stowing Your Weapon or Swapping To a Kit will cause you to drop the Turret immediately where you stand.
•While Carrying a Turret, it cannot be damaged.

Can you imagine this mechanic in general? Would be good stuff. Now imagine taking the trait Accelerant Packed Turrets and picking up your Healing Turret, holding it over your head and sprinting at some poor bloke, detonating it on him like some kind of crazed Bomberman. Who needs condition removal, or reliable stability!

Completely Amazing and innovative Turret Gameplay. Now that would shake up the meta…… ;P

Ritualist Ash spells by any other name?

Sign me up.

Given that we already have things like:

In game, this would be one step closer to Activating Skynet further differentiating Turret builds.

I like it.

Iva Malthias – 80 Engineer
Marellune Malthias – 80 Elementalist
Devil’s Dominion [DD] – Yak’s Bend

Turret Cooldown idea

in Engineer

Posted by: Wolf.5816

Wolf.5816

I appreciate the links as I haven’t actually played Guild Wars 1 sadly. Although, I have reviewed some of their skills/mechanics for inspiration.

I just feel that committing down a trait line should have more weight. Not particularly with build strength but build diversity.

There are just so many skills/mechanics in this game that aren’t being used to their full potential if they are even being used at all. There are just so many ways to breath life into this game, granted it takes time and effort This game has been out for a solid two years and its spine has developed and hardened. The mechanics that we enjoy are concreted for the most part, that being said I feel the next direction to take precedence is:

Instead of focusing on making certain builds stronger/weaker why not focus on making them different. Arena Net has complete creative freedom over their game. Granted I’m sure there are many hoops to jump through, I feel all that’s needed is a shift in perspective.

Why not give a trait to Elementalists that let’s water combo fields remove burning From allies who enter it?

Or a trait that gives Thief’s Steal Mechanic the ability to take their targets #5 skill of their currently equipped weapon. Taking this trait could make it to where you can only store the steal for a minimal period (5 seconds) and should tac on a longer Cooldown. preventing abuse. But making steal function differently for the Thief’s who chose to mix up their gameplay.

Or something that allows the Mesmers The ability to disguise themselves to appear like an ally to the opposing team for a short duration?

Or an ability for a Necromancer to raise a downed enemy as a Computer Controlled Zombie Minion that fights for you for X seconds. After the duration they would resume downstate and regain control of their character.

Or a way for Rangers to assume control over their pet, manually using its skills/abilities, but while assuming this form you take a large percentage of the damage for your pet.

Or perhaps just giving every profession a new weapon would work instead…

Veteran of The Mists & Professional Engineer
Dingo King-Hound King-Coyoti King-Thylacine King-Hyena King