Turret & Pistol specc: is it viable?

in Engineer

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

Hello everyone,

I have come up with the following: http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en&code=3ek6g0dqninhe6neq0auu00a6acakanaok5ka

It is based around the use of my pistol and turrets and also the use of condition damage. Is something along these lines viable? If not, why? And obviously suggestions for improvement are welcome!

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

unfortunately your build isn’t showing up for me from the link.

If you want to use a pistol / turret build I put one up in another thread you might want to take a look at.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Turrets-n-Toolkit/first#post450503

It’s pretty much stacking burn damage with pistol / pistol, bomb kit, rocket turret, and flame turret.

in Engineer

Direksone.3867

Oh thats weird. It is almos the same as you, but then I use the Elixer B instead of the bomb kit and solely focus on pistol usage and turrets. You reckon using a kit is a good way to go? I do use my mortar now and again when I can.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

in Engineer

Karast.1927

The reason I use the bomb kit is it works well with the pistol. When mobs get close you stack 7-8 stacks of confusion, and the fire combo field and smoke combo fields work well it pistols fast attack speed for applying burns and blinds.

The main reason though is having the AoE knock back from big old bomb, the additional smoke field on top of the flame turret one, and the cripple / immobilize from glue bomb.

It gives you a lot of control abilities, which are handy for a pistol / pistol spec, since they will be your source of survivability.

I like this build in dungeons especially since, you can chain blinds and CC on multiple mobs to keep them locked down for your group.

Don’t for that if you time things right you can use the turret detonate skills, big old bomb, the rocket turret overcharge skill, and supply crate to trigger combos off the smoke / fire fields for AoE stealth, and AoE might.

That’s really the benefit of bomb kit.

If you want to use pistols more. I’d recommend dropping 10 points from explosives and putting them into firearms for coated bullets to make your pistol shots pierce. You can then use flamethrower for the ranged burn and still have a fire combo field + aoe knock back and blind.

in Engineer

Direksone.3867

Yea I was wondering, what exactly does piercing shots do? Just hit more mobs as they go through them? It is between that and increased range at the moment.

in Engineer

Direksone.3867

Also, what turrets are suggested in general?

in Engineer

Karast.1927

Pierce lets you shot go thru targets in a straight line. So it will hit enemies behind your target if they are lined up.

In effect with good positioning it makes the poison dart volley of the pistol aoe, and can give really good damage off of explosive shot. Since you get an explosions for each enemy hit. If they are close enough together you can have enemies hit with multiple explosions for overlapping damage.

It significantly increases the pistols damage in PvE where you often fight a lot of tightly pack monsters.

I use namely rocket and flame for dps. Since they give burning effects which stack in durations as well as good CC moves.

At times I will use net turret for bosses I need to kite or to better control enemy movement. It’s good when your fighting a lone enemy since you can use it to lock them down and keep them away.

Thumper turret is good for off tanking or baiting mobs / objects. With the auto tool installation trait it can draw fire from treb’s, or mortars in PvE so they don’t hit you. For tanking mobs it’s ok but they don’t always go for it. But it’s health is pretty good when they do.

I do not use the rifle turret much as a turret. I use it’s tool belt skill a lot in tool spec’s but even with traits it always gets 1 shotted and since bleeds don’t stack in duration it doesn’t help me much dps wise. The low CD is nice but I get so much more dps from rocket or flame when I place them correctly, it’s not an issue.

I also do not use the healing turret as much these days. I like the heal, and the quick detonate for the AoE heal, but with the deploy-able turret trait it bugs out and is a pain to use so I swap it out.

I think if they every fix the deploy-able turret trait so that it works with more than rocket / healing. I’d use rifle and thumper more. If I could toss thumper into a group of mobs it would be awesome.

The main reason for the flame turret / rocket combo is that if they are both alive and in range they’ll keep burning up. You only need to apply your own burning effect from the fire bomb, the explosives trait, flame thrower, or blow torch and you take over the effect.

Rocket will also do nice consistent damage if your enemy has vulnerability on them. So it adds nicely to your dps.

in Engineer

Karast.1927

The trick to getting mortars / trebs to attack the thumper turret is to place it in range and then move out of range. Once they focus on the turret they don’t seem to shift until it dies. I’m not sure if it’s a bug or just a bit of randomness, but this helps a lot in certain dungeons since you can use it + net to buy your group 10-15 seconds without incoming aoe to dodge.