Turret Upgrade (movement) <-Idea

in Engineer

Posted by: slaughterfest.6250

slaughterfest.6250

I hope that we soon will be able to have access to mobile turrets, either wheeled(or tracked) or maybe a one time(or CD) teleport even? Maybe a Tier 2 or 3 trait, for “pet-like” movement. Or a teleport turrets to current or target location?
any other suggestions, or hopes?

Bane Of The Legions (80 Reaper)
Duke Vindictae (80 Chronomancer)
Pain is temporary, Regret is forever.

in Engineer

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Really low cooldown on pick ups will help them be mobile.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Particularly when talking about the Inventions trait line… I’ve always found it interesting that we have the smarts and ingenuity to invent a way for our explosives to heal us, but can’t figure out a way to put wheels on our turrets?

Even getting a skill like what Ritualists had in GW1 where you could summon all spirits to your location would be awesome (portable Asura portal installed on all turrets). In fact the more similarities we could draw with Ritualist spirits the better! For being a very similar mechanic, they sure were a lot more dynamic than turrets are. Spirits had a wider array of effects than just damage, and quite a few skills to alter and enhance them. I miss my Ritualist lol.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

(edited by Adamantium.3682)

in Engineer

Posted by: Ambrecombe.4398

Ambrecombe.4398

I don’t like the idea to make turrets move on their own, I rather see A-net fix the bugs related to turrets and later improve their mobility issue by rewarding people for keeping them alive as long as possible.

If it was up to me, I would completely remove the pick up mechanic and make Self-Destruct reduce the cooldown by the time the turret remained deployed. This way you actualy have a good reason to keep every single turrets you have alive and use your toolbelt abilities.

By doing this, you actualy give a cycle in the gameplay of the Turreteer wich allows you to take advantage of their Self-Destruct ability whenever they are going to be hit by AoEs and grant extra blast finishers as a bonus.

I would also tweak a couple of things, like increasing turrets health a bit and allow some extra synergy between Autotool Installation and Wrench to make that kit a viable support tool for our turrets. And lastly, I would add a temporary AoE preventive shield (probably with a trait) that would allow turrets to resist AoEs, like a temporary Eagis (15sec CD) or maybe a complete preventive invulnerability or protection buff for 5sec (25sec CD) whenever they get stucked by AoE.

I’m pretty sure if those changes were done, turrets would be very much viable for nearly all content.

in Engineer

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Even getting a skill like what Ritualists had in GW1 where you could summon all spirits to your location would be awesome (portable Asura portal installed on all turrets). In fact the more similarities we could draw with Ritualist spirits the better! For being a very similar mechanic, they sure were a lot more dynamic than turrets are. Spirits had a wider array of effects than just damage, and quite a few skills to alter and enhance them. I miss my Ritualist lol.

This had been my idea since launch for my turrent engineer. Hitting lvl 80 (at least 8 months ago now?), my engineer enjoys some world boss events… that’s about it. I expected an engineer to be one of the more versatile professions out there which I guess it is but look at the player base, how many people use an engineer, how happy are you to have one in you team when you PvE, PvP, WvW but I digress….

So back on topic, I can only assume that they will one day release a ritualist class and do not want spirits and turrents to clash, but there’s a lot of assumptions in that.

As mentioned a quicker recharge on pick ups would be a small step in the right direction. But my first post about turrent failures was nearly a year ago (I’m actually curious now, I’m going to try find it), I gave up on my engineer as a result.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I agree, anything that allows turrets to be more mobile. I don’t care if it is because they roll on their own, float around like ranger spirits, have a ridiculously short recast and less defense so we can constantly replant them as we move, or summon them to use. Anything that removes the limitations of mobility we have now. I cannot imagine why anyone would be against allowing mobility with them.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Posted by: Eroiqua.5891

Eroiqua.5891

With the hundreds of thousands of Twisted corpses we left all over while fighting Scarlet, I am amazed some enterprising engineer hasn’t figured out how to put little helicopter-like wings on turrets.

WTB Twisted Mender skin for my healing turret.

in Engineer

Knote.2904

I would hate for turrets to be mobile. It would forever kitten them to being weak.

Part of the appeal of having immobile turrets/pets is that they have a lot of strength to make up for it and make them powerful area denial tools.

I would prefer being able to drastically lower their cooldowns by picking them up instead..

in Engineer

Posted by: Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

well a solution is to make turrets detonation give 50% less cooldown on turrets skill or piking them up

Engy:Turrets Nade/HgH Kit Bunker Zerker
Necro:MMMesmer:pve omniRanger:SpiritsThief:P/P

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Not much will happen with turrets as they are apparently powerful in SPVP, and SPVP is the focus for balance changes.

Anyways, a core issue is that the turrets when picked up do not save state. Meaning that the next time the turret is deployed it is back at full health. As such, the risk is that some point holding engineer would keep his turrets topped up by constantly picking them up and putting them down again between fights. This then makes the tool kit and the turret auto-repair trait worthless.

Engineers are in a sense a siege profession. Either holding or capturing a location. End result is that when the game mode demands more mobility a large segment of our skill collection is nullified.

in Engineer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I love would them to be mobile, i dont see it happening. Though not sure why not. When you compare them to MM builds that can leech health for its owner, take conditions and such as well Turrets are quite weak. Then you get Mesmer, Phantasms every 16seconds that deal THOUSANDS of damage every 5-6seconds just simply make Turrets look kinda rubbish.

in Engineer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Part of the appeal of having immobile turrets/pets is that they have a lot of strength to make up for it and make them powerful area denial tools.

Then why are Turrets SO weak? The damage is terrible when compared to Phantasms and MM have access to health leeching, condition removal AND they move could even trait for then they die they explode dealing damage and creating a poison AoE

Turrets = Low damage, High cooldown. Doesnt quite seem right to me…

in Engineer

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

They need to give a much larger “cooldown reduction” when you pick it up. Supposedly it’s reduced by 25% when you pick them up, but whenever I time it it is exactly the same.

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

They need to give a much larger “cooldown reduction” when you pick it up. Supposedly it’s reduced by 25% when you pick them up, but whenever I time it it is exactly the same.

25% means 5 seconds on rifle, and 12 on rocket. Not much in the grand scheme of things.

in Engineer

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Having wheels or tracks or whatever makes them stop being turrets.

I do not want that, personally. I want turrets to be turrets, not tanks (as awesome as having an army of mini-tanks sounds).

I’ve brought I up before, but it bears repeating I think. During one of the Iron Legion Charr story missions, there are turrets which can actually be picked up and moved around. You interact with the turret just like Engineers do to pick it up, but instead of the turret just despawning, it actually gets placed in your hand as a bundle, then you can use the “1” skill to place it again at a new location.

That’s how Engineer turrets should be. It makes sense, keeps them as turrets, but gives a good degree of mobility as well. Let interacting with them place the turret into your hands, so you can move it around without despawning it every time. The turrets would keep their current health when picked up, to keep it from being exploitable to heal them by grabbing them. The “1” skill would place the turret from your hands in the spot you’re standing (or, if using Deployable Turrets, give you the targeting interface and let you place them that way) and the “2” skill would despawn the turret and give you the normal cooldown reduction.

in Engineer

Knote.2904

Then why are Turrets SO weak? The damage is terrible when compared to Phantasms and MM have access to health leeching, condition removal AND they move could even trait for then they die they explode dealing damage and creating a poison AoE

Turrets = Low damage, High cooldown. Doesnt quite seem right to me…

Ask anet.

If they make it mobile they’ll NEVER be buffed then.

10 Seconds on pick up for all turrets except healing turret. Now they’re useful…. EASY

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Having wheels or tracks or whatever makes them stop being turrets.

I do not want that, personally. I want turrets to be turrets, not tanks (as awesome as having an army of mini-tanks sounds).

No offense, but it appears you do not actually know what a turret is or what a tank is.

Tanks by definition transports people, either as operators or passengers.

Turrets in this case, are simply a revolving or pivoting structure.

I have no idea how you can come to the conclusion that wheels, tracts, or any other method of mobility stops making them be turrets. Without persons being transported by them, they can never be tanks.

If they make it mobile they’ll NEVER be buffed then.

They are not really buffing them much now.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

(edited by coglin.1867)

in Engineer

Posted by: Khalith.2987

Khalith.2987

Ultimate turret fix.

Attachments: