Turret engineer. No, I won't apologize.

in Engineer

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

I play solo queue a lot. I run a turret engineer build.

And the comments/hate directed towards me when people die against it, happens every other match.

I’m not sure I understand it. I know exactly what builds/classes will march over me before my turrets can do anything, yet those that can’t haphazardly throw themselves at it in hopes of victory.

I’m not going to apologize for running an AI build. I enjoy it, it’s a strong build in it’s own way and I’m best helping my teammates with it.

How do the rest of you engineers feel?

in Engineer

Posted by: GabGar.4962

GabGar.4962

I just put a pry bar in the face of those crying about it

in Engineer

Posted by: Koloman.1632

Koloman.1632

It’s funny, I took a break from gw2 right after eotm started. At that time everyone was complaining that turrets were useless and I was getting hate for trying to use a viable turret build. Some people were even shocked that I could kill anyone with it and asked how I did it in-place of any nasty comments…now all I see are people complaining about how op and cheap it is.

I like turrets and enjoy using a different play-style. Honestly it’s not as easy as everyone says it is, the second my turrets go down there’s not much I can do. I just think the people complaining about it don’t want to change their battle tactics to take out one engie, when that’s all they have to do. Turrets are not without a fault.

But all this hate is probably because people aren’t used to turret builds yet. I’de give them a while to get used to it. Just like any class change.

in Engineer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

One turret engi isn’t a huge deal, but 2 are that camp the same point with double turrets and supply crates are

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

90% sure you could call them out on their spec and it would be something cheesier. So good for you! Turrets are finally viable and in no way should they be nerfed now.

#engiepride

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

You don’t have to apologize! Never apologize for using a build you enjoy playing! Just be ready to hang your head in shame when you get absolutely obliterated at the hands of anyone remotely competent!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in Engineer

Posted by: johnpoc.8732

johnpoc.8732

It’s like any other bunker/point holding build, all the CC annoys people lol. I’m one of those though I do like having one of you on my side

Lockn Loada/Ryu Shueki
[RUN] solo/duo roamer

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

As others have already said, it’s an L2P issue. Players get used to a build and complain any time they’re forced to adapt to something new.

An elementalist in my guild was whining about turrets this morning—more specifically the thumper and net turrets. I told him to just Meteor Shower before going in. Said such a thing wasn’t possible, but I reminded him that a net turret, at most, has 900 range with traits. MS has 1200 range.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

It would probably really help if there were more mobile objectives, rather than just “Hold this point for ten seconds to earn the point-equivalent of a kill.”
And if Turret users had any kind of reason to spec out of tanky traitlines, rather than the most natural decision being ‘go for maximum durability.’

Other than that? I feel that turrets shouldn’t be nerfed; people don’t know how to deal with them, after all, given that, for a quarter of the game’s lifespan so far, they were afflicted with at least two crippling bugs. One made every single one of them fire at a much slower rate, and the other made their hitbox disproportionately huge, for those unaware.
Nerfing them because people didn’t realize what they could do, in a game mode where what they do is great for points, would be moronic. Far better, in my opinion, to expand the PvP system to include goals that aren’t so perfectly suited to the Turret skillset.

in Engineer

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

There is nothing wrong with playing turret engi. ANET put it in the position that it is in. That said, just don’t complain when it gets nerfed and you are no longer as good as you are now. Just ask spirit rangers and S/P thieves, the last two OP specs.

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

turret engineer is in a good spot atm, a great spot id say, as it is its weak for top tier game play and for casual it just eats up pugs, those pugs really do need to L2P so keep having fun, my only issue is those darn pirate runes, i got chased down by 4 birds last night and was like the kitten lololol, mind you i survived and my team managed to get the point, but that many birds was just troll to the max.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Posted by: Eastcorn.5901

Eastcorn.5901

For a minute, think about all the cheese builds people run for other professions.

Now in light of that, what do you have to apologize for? In terms of the larger picture, you’ve done nothing that players of other professions haven’t done already. You found an easy to use build that absolutely stomps uncoordinated and/or poor players.

in Engineer

Posted by: Pyro.8649

Pyro.8649

Hey, The problem with this kind of build is that too many “novice” enginner run that just because it’s OP like they did before with spirit ranger or hambow warr. They have noskill and run you in serious trouble with this build especialy when ppl run a condi build ( but sure you can’t win every 1 vs 1 so it’s not a real problem for me ). And the thing is about some of them, I saw about 3-4 guys jumped on the body of the one they killed and I think the rage come from them.

After that I don’t really see the problem with turret build when you know bomb aoe / warr bow aoe and elem aoe can destroy them very quikly.

But please last thing, if you want play a “meta OP” build, just do it correctly, it’s a shame to see ppl put 3 turrets in the middle of the point and cry because you destroy them in 2s…

in Engineer

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

I have mixed feelings.

I play Turret Engi occasionally and I believe it plays a HUGE part in helping your team win, because you can solo guard home against a vast majority of players. I also find it really fun to watch the hate messages pour in, rather than reply to them I just laugh it off.

That being said, I do find it a very boring build and I’m not too keen being rooted to the one area.

But ye.. don’t worry about people complaining, enjoy it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

With turrets, 9 in 10 pick up battles will make you smile.
One in ten, you will cry as someone knows how easy it can be to counter that build.

in Engineer

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

If you’re so famous, why do you feel the need to remind all of us all the time? Compensation for your small…rocket turret?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

I agree with OP. Till are here builds like Hambow War, MM Necro, PU Mesmer or Spirit Ranger there is now way how to feel guilty as turret engi.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I agree with OP. Till are here builds like Hambow War, MM Necro, PU Mesmer or Spirit Ranger there is now way how to feel guilty as turret engi.

Off topic but how exactly does PU Mesmer kill turret emgineers?

I love turret engineers actually. Most expect the turrets to carry them and aren’t exactly well skilled. I used to main a Mesmer but a staff Elementalist can really wreck a turret Engineer. The fault with turrets is that they have little stun breakers.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I have run a turret build without stopping since GW2’s headstart. I have over 2,000 hours dedicated to just playing turrets on my Engineer.

I despise that turrets are actually viable now. I got used to them being crappy and underpowered, and I was good at running them like that. I killed people, they killed me. But the best part? NO ONE ran them because they were garbage. Flamethrowers and grenades everywhere!

But now? People act like I’m riding the flavor of the month train. It drives me nuts. My character’s build has been practically static since release, but now that it’s suddenly good I’m just another fotm turreteer.

/sigh.

in Engineer

Posted by: Worr Khan.2359

Worr Khan.2359

When I first started Guild Wars 2 I really wanted to be an engineer mainly for the turrets. Not because they were really powerful at the time, but because they were so cool. I mean rocket turrets and flame turrets !? I have many fond memories using this build and that led my engineer being my go to profession.

in Engineer

Posted by: ScorpiOverkill.7064

ScorpiOverkill.7064

When I first started Guild Wars 2 I really wanted to be an engineer mainly for the turrets. Not because they were really powerful at the time, but because they were so cool. I mean rocket turrets and flame turrets !? I have many fond memories using this build and that led my engineer being my go to profession.

For me it was that and the explosives. Stuff blowin’ up FTW!

As for people who hate on turret engineers, they just aren’t capable of appreciating the beauty of proper placement of resources and timing.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Off topic but how exactly does PU Mesmer kill turret emgineers?

Point was about cheese builds what kill almost everything without much effort:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Posted by: Treble.1563

Treble.1563

I have yet to try the turret build. I was close to trying one out yesterday but the lag prevented me from playing much. My 3kit condi does very well at both holding and attacking points, so I never really saw the need to switch. But I did meet a scary SD Rifle Engi that absolutely dominated me with nonstop CC, so I think I’ll try that first.

S U M E T A L [ Warrior ][ S/Wh + Ham ][ Zerg Shout Support ]
M O A M E T A L [ Necromancer ][ Staff + D/F ][ Power DS/Wells ]
Y U I M E T A L [ Engineer ][ 3kit P/S ][ Havoc Roam ]

in Engineer

Posted by: isendel.5049

isendel.5049

Can you guy post the standard turret build for holding a point in tpvp? I have checked the first few pages and I didn’t see any, I recently come back to the game after few months and I really want to check it out!

Thanks!

in Engineer

Posted by: SchiTown.7598

SchiTown.7598

I feel the build is very limited. It is worse than a triple kit build 1v1, it has no mobility to get out of an outnumbered fights, it dies very quickly in said outnumbered fights, it is worse in team fights, and it is terrible if forced to fight in between nodes.

Really its just a buil that requires little ability to pick up and punishes bad players heavily.

Spoon Girl

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

I feel the build is very limited. It is worse than a triple kit build 1v1, it has no mobility to get out of an outnumbered fights, it dies very quickly in said outnumbered fights, it is worse in team fights, and it is terrible if forced to fight in between nodes.

Really its just a buil that requires little ability to pick up and punishes bad players heavily.

This is what I think. Anyone who gets wrecked by turrets that are still made out of paper (and hit like wet noodles) pretty much deserves it. I can’t count the number of times that I’ve seen this happen: Player engages me in PvP. I drop turrets off to the side (yep no need to even throw them in hard to reach places), then run up to them to fight. Player never even targets my turrets. Player dies rather easily. Player rages on /map chat about how noob I am and how cheap turrets are.

That’s not to say turrets still suck. I’m quite happy to see that they’re useful now. I can play with them without feeling like I’m gimping myself to do so. I just don’t think any of the whining about them is justified.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Turrets die in like 15s from the staff auto of a bunker guard.