Turret toss: Stupid Idea: Needs Fix

in Engineer

Posted by: Radio Isotope.3045

Radio Isotope.3045

I PLAY AN ENGINEER. Having said that, I don’t think an Engineer should be able to toss turrets onto walls. Instead they should be placed at the Engineer’s feet as having to set them up. We don’t even have technology to do that in modern times. So how could physics be broken to such a ludicrous degree? If anyone reading this has played Portal, what happens when you throw a turret? It falls over due to poor weight balancing. Turrets being able to be thrown onto walls in PVE or WvW is an idiocy. As a person who plays Engineer and enjoys playing it, i think this needs to be fixed. It does not seem right that they could toss them. It would feel much better if you had to place them at your feet, as if having to set it up. I also think the time it takes to deploy a turret should be adequate to time it takes to set up a tripod for anything. This is MY suggestion, does not have to be yours.

EDIT: Anet: This idea would make the Engineer much more fun in my opinion. And the only people who would disagree are the people who enjoy “exploiting” this poor system mechanic. Yes “Exploiting”.

(TLE) The Legendary Eternum, Devona’s Rest
Guild Founder

in Engineer

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Go on. I would like to subscribe to your manifesto.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ambrecombe.4398

Ambrecombe.4398

If you want to deploy turrets at your feet don’t play with deployable turret trait, and you will get your “fun”.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

Never, NEVER compare Real Life to Game

Only thing that needs to be fixed with this trait honestly, is let the turret be perpendicular to the surface its thrown on, its no good if on a wall/ceiling and its halfway through the wall & shoots wall every time. Or trade it in for sumtin else for turrets.

Otherwise, not an exploit considering the trait is not working as they are intended. Every profession can hit them no matter where u throw them, & easy to get outta range.

(edited by Hebee.8460)

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

The technology to do it in real life is absolutely there, it just hasn’t been combined into that exact package yet.

I’m actually working on a little single-shot turret toy that can be thrown around, right now. XD Not capable of sticking to walls, but I could definitely see how it’d be possible.

Not that any of that matters, though, because this is a video game. You can’t form a raincloud above your friends’ heads, either, and the water most certainly wouldn’t cause their wounds to close.

The class is always greener on the other side.

in Engineer

Posted by: Viscero.7293

Viscero.7293

Well I dont think we can teleport people around in real life either. Or use a rifle and shoot at the ground to fly forward with such force it causes injury to all those around our landing point…

in Engineer

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Also we can toss drones out and have them deploy, pay attention to real life :p

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Elementalists and Mesmers need a major nerf too because magic does not follow physics.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

It would be neat to have deploy turrets work like the Perfect Dark laptop gun. I freaking loved that thing.

If the turret was able to be tossed in an unreachable location and still function, it would be an exploit. But tossing it up on a wall simply gets it out of the way. Any one can still target it with direct damage or aoe just as they would if it was on the ground.

If you did play as an engi you would know that deployable turrets is a must have trait if you want to use turrets otherwise they instantly die like 80% of the time.

Its obvious you don’t play the engi. I’m guessing your a melee glass cannon that roams WvW looking for easy kills and died to an engi that used turrets and CC to completely destroy you. Thats my guess anyway.

in Engineer

Posted by: Valar Morghulis.7049

Valar Morghulis.7049

I stealth and invis out of work all the time! I used a portal the other day to get my neighbor to the top of a jumping puzzle I found in the parking lot of an abandoned K-Mart…

You are right… THROWING TURRETS IS NOT POSSIBLE AND NEEDS TO BE REMOVED!

Fiddler of Malazan [BR] – Engineer {NSP}

in Engineer

Posted by: Sukor.1236

Sukor.1236

Remove all magic from the game, it isn’t even possible in real life yet.
It goes against physics. /s

in Engineer

Posted by: Bakabaka.6185

Bakabaka.6185

Trolllololololol

in Engineer

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

I guess there’s no point discussing it since you’ve already stated anyone who doesn’t agree is looking to exploit the game…

in Engineer

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

It’s a game. There is no real life physics. Totally okay. Otherwise they would have to fix tons of other stuff as well. Like mesmers can spawn clones on Walls if they are down there…

Arrow Carts with a strange shooting behavior… (they would need a much bigger min range… I don’t think the arrows go straight up and then a few inches away they come straight down from the air).

I frequently use supply crate in WvW on walls… and I like it.

So what? Where is you problem. AoE spam… and everything is dead. All the turrets. No problem.

I’d rather nerf mesmer portals and give them a limit of 5 people … cause they all the time exploit them to get into keeps.

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

How about instead of throwing them make them fly? Kinda act like pets and hover around you shooting anything that you attack ? seems like a decent swap to me

in Engineer

Posted by: Stealth.9324

Stealth.9324

What is this topic is about? o-O?? God forbid game be different than real life?? Removes all the races too, save Human because in real life we have no Shorty People with Rabbit Ear, No Talking Tree, No Walking Cat as well as no Big Giant People that can live in the temperature under 0 degree Celcius with no Coat on??? I mean best Q_____Q ever…

Kaane Moka – Champion Magus. Loola Illuma – Champion Genius.
Proud player of : team [uA] – team [TGI]. Australia base, now recruiting.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I PLAY AN ENGINEER. Having said that, I don’t think an Engineer should be able to toss turrets onto walls. Instead they should be placed at the Engineer’s feet as having to set them up. We don’t even have technology to do that in modern times. So how could physics be broken to such a ludicrous degree? If anyone reading this has played Portal, what happens when you throw a turret? It falls over due to poor weight balancing. Turrets being able to be thrown onto walls in PVE or WvW is an idiocy. As a person who plays Engineer and enjoys playing it, i think this needs to be fixed. It does not seem right that they could toss them. It would feel much better if you had to place them at your feet, as if having to set it up. I also think the time it takes to deploy a turret should be adequate to time it takes to set up a tripod for anything. This is MY suggestion, does not have to be yours.

EDIT: Anet: This idea would make the Engineer much more fun in my opinion. And the only people who would disagree are the people who enjoy “exploiting” this poor system mechanic. Yes “Exploiting”.

If I were a dev, the first thing I would do is check the person’s account to see if they had a level 80 of whatever class they are going on about. If they don’t, I’d delete the thread and spare anyone else BS.

That’s just me, though

in Engineer

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

It’s not like a tossed turret actually does any damage, is it? It lasts probably even less time, because it’s closer to the enemy and it’s more convenient for him to kill. lol.

in Engineer

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

I don’t think GW2’s engine supports that type of physics.

in Engineer

Posted by: Thrutian.7931

Thrutian.7931

They should also remove Waypoints, those aren’t present in modern times. Heck, they should also remove the 4 (or more) other character slots because we don’t yet have the technology to take over multiple beings whenever we choose.

This is the dumbest post I’ve ever seen. If you don’t want to throw them, don’t get the trait.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I agree the tossing should be removed but the way to fix this problem is to make them immune to a large degree of the AOE attacks (all pets should be imo it’s been done before and worked wonderfully for years) (including sword swings) and make them traited to be mobile like the ranger spirits.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

This is a really bad point to try to make. Like, what, are you going to suggest that they implement ammo counts and reloading because we don’t have the tech to fire an endless stream of bullets yet? That they make Charr speak some kind of animal language because they don’t have human mouths? That Asura tech doesn’t float and their golems don’t work because we don’t have antigravity or such sophisticated AI?

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

If you can’t deploy the turret onto the wall, where else are you going to deploy them? A few feet in front of you?

Honestly, deploying onto walls is the only real thing this trait is good for.

in Engineer

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

Guys just hold pull back a sec , and read his post again..theres a few vitals that tip you off that he’s more than likely a victim of Deployable Turrets than an Engineer himself..

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

in Engineer

Posted by: Eviator.9746

Eviator.9746

Yeah forum post history indicates he mainly plays ranger.

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)
Doing what I can for DB during EU primetime

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Or at least makes a lot of posts about wanting Rangers to have Rifles and justifications thereof.

Interesting side-note: You can see some deleted posts using the All Messages option. Or, at least, I surmise they’re deleted from this one

You do realize this’d make turrets completely useless right? Turrets can drop as fast as they’re put up. Why would anyone use them if they had a cast channel?

[Message redacted; he deleted it, obviously he didn’t want it read. Doesn’t mean you can’t just go look at his profile for it, of course.]

which is not in the thread.

Overall, I’d say that whether he actually plays his Engineer is a sidenote; this is a terrible idea on all counts and I don’t even use Deployable Turrets anymore.

Cast time on placement of (even fully traited) of weak, fragile, immobile minions is a terrible idea and would pretty much insta-kill an entire skill set. If using Deployable Turrets at all is exploiting, of course, I’d love to hear an explanation as to how basically anything else in the game that doesn’t match up to modern technology is not an exploit – including the magic.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ambrecombe.4398

Ambrecombe.4398

If you peope are interested in Turrets I recently made a post with a couple of sugestion that could possibly improve them. But I need feedback, so check the link bellow :
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Turret-Engineer-Ideas-Discussion

in Engineer

Posted by: Mizstik.1736

Mizstik.1736

Guys just hold pull back a sec , and read his post again..theres a few vitals that tip you off that he’s more than likely a victim of Deployable Turrets than an Engineer himself..

It’s kinda mind blowing to see anyone being a “victim” of deployable turrets really …

in Engineer

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

It’s kinda mind blowing to see anyone being a “victim” of deployable turrets really …

Don’t underestimate those paper shooters , they cut the unwary deep…

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

in Engineer

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I have an even better suggestion; make Deployable Turrets baseline.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Meh, I ran turrets for 10 months and never used deployable turrets. It was broken at headstart and by the time they fixed it, I had gotten used to not using it lol

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Having used Deployable Turrets even while it was broken…I actually wouldn’t mind if they did make it baseline. It’s got to be easier to keep one set of skills updated than it is to keep two, and it would also free up another trait slot.

in Engineer

Posted by: jniel.3581

jniel.3581

Firstly don’t compare this to real life. If you did then please explain to me why my rifle turret works underwater and my healing one does not? Also explain to me why poison destroys all turrets in fractions of second? Has your car or computer been poisoned with a little arsenic lately? I think not. When is the last time you saw someone pull a automated turret with unlimited ammunition out of thin air and toss it anywhere?

Secondly, go ahead and throw your turrets from hell to breakfast. Its not going to help you. On the contrary its detrimental. Most of the turrets simply don’t work at all when on a wall or similar. Even the healing turret fails most of the time. When they do work any and all ground attacks can still hit them.

Thirdly, we do have technology to mount devices to walls. They mount turrets on roofs all the time as well. They even mount gatling guns on helicopters that put the turrets from engineers in this game to shame. Funny how reality can sometimes trump even the best of sci-fi/fantasy.

Besides its not like turrets are useful in 99% of the game anyhow. The healing turret, marginal. All the rest, less them marginal and thats only when you blow them up after their first shot.

I got a better idea. DONT nix this useless skill. Fix the rest of them to be something viable.

(edited by jniel.3581)

in Engineer

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

we’re all exploiters entire Engineer community should get banned!!!!