Viable PvE Builds

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Felicela.2810

Felicela.2810

I have been away for quite sometime, I am curious what some of the more viable PvE builds are for Engineers are now.

Thanks!

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Metausz.9452

Metausz.9452

Here’s all of them:

Rifle + grenades
Rifle + bombs + grenades
Rifle + bombs + grenades + elixir gun

On top of that, you have such amazing choice between 6/6/0/2/0 and 6/6/0/0/2.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Felicela.2810

Felicela.2810

So Pistol/Shield or PP is not longer viable?

What do you recommend out of the each of those trait lines?

(edited by Felicela.2810)

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Drakent.9605

Drakent.9605

there a tons of viable pve builds , it all depends on your play style and yes PP can be play in pve as long you have a proper build . You just have to remember engi is not a class that uses #1 attack button all the time, we are class that swap from weapon to kit to pop all our cd

Also shield is more for def play style which in pve is not really needed since going full offence is more efficient

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Metausz.9452

Metausz.9452

This guide should answer most PvE questions (dungeon-wise).

Basically, Explosions and Firearms stay the same. The choice is between 2 in Alchemy for vigor or 2 in Tools for extra DPS via Static Discharge.

(edited by Metausz.9452)

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Pistol/Shield is fine, it depends on the group comp. It will provide your party with an extra sustained 5% damage, give or take, via the extra might from the extra blast finisher, but if your party is maxed at 25 might already it obviously doesn’t do anything for you. The DPS gap between P/S and Rifle is about 10% so it really comes down to assessing whether that extra might is actually useful.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

P/S is fine, it’s just a question of a little extra out of the box DPS or another blast for more might/healing/whatever. P/P is a bit to condi focused to compete as your main PvE weapon, though if you’re bombing or ’nading 99% of the time, you can pretty much have whatever you want on as your regular weapons.

I also want to say that while bombs and nades rule the current meta, a nice Static-Discharge build (Rifle with Healing Turret, rifle turret, Tool Kit and either Goggles (for stun break) or battering ram) can still put up respectable numbers without having to push 1 all the time. I’ve run several dungeons and 20+ fractals with either 0/6/0/2/6 or 0/5/0/3/6 and not have any complaints.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

P/S is fine, it’s just a question of a little extra out of the box DPS or another blast for more might/healing/whatever. P/P is a bit to condi focused to compete as your main PvE weapon, though if you’re bombing or ’nading 99% of the time, you can pretty much have whatever you want on as your regular weapons.

I also want to say that while bombs and nades rule the current meta, a nice Static-Discharge build (Rifle with Healing Turret, rifle turret, Tool Kit and either Goggles (for stun break) or battering ram) can still put up respectable numbers without having to push 1 all the time. I’ve run several dungeons and 20+ fractals with either 0/6/0/2/6 or 0/5/0/3/6 and not have any complaints.

People can’t see your DPS and most don’t know what an engineer should be running.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Dice Dragon.4326

Dice Dragon.4326

People can’t see your DPS and most don’t know what an engineer should be running.

I run bombs quite often, and have run SD as well, and I can say a SD build works fine in dps specs in dungeons. Bombs/nades are of course, the best of the best. but if you can run a diffrent build and lose 15% dps, its not really a big deal.

I honestly wanna see other kits bumped up to bomb kit levels, cause im sick of running bomb kit. But from my findings, toolkits 1 spam dps is only like 11% behind bombs. And neither kit offers damage outside of 1 or in toolkits case its 3 is a huge hit. So ive taken to running Toolkit when im bored of bombs.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I run bombs quite often, and have run SD as well, and I can say a SD build works fine in dps specs in dungeons. Bombs/nades are of course, the best of the best. but if you can run a diffrent build and lose 15% dps, its not really a big deal.

I honestly wanna see other kits bumped up to bomb kit levels, cause im sick of running bomb kit. But from my findings, toolkits 1 spam dps is only like 11% behind bombs. And neither kit offers damage outside of 1 or in toolkits case its 3 is a huge hit. So ive taken to running Toolkit when im bored of bombs.

Closer to about 20% but either way it misses the entire point of taking an engie in a dungeon which is basically LOADS OF VULN. Engie DPS is quite good as I’ve always said but if straight DPS is your own sell, then leave that to the staff eles. You can certainly get away with it and if it’s a pug you’re probably still the highest-contributing member of the party, but it’s really one of those “for fun” things you do since there’s really no strict reason to run this build over any other.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Dice Dragon.4326

Dice Dragon.4326

Closer to about 20% but either way it misses the entire point of taking an engie in a dungeon which is basically LOADS OF VULN. Engie DPS is quite good as I’ve always said but if straight DPS is your own sell, then leave that to the staff eles. You can certainly get away with it and if it’s a pug you’re probably still the highest-contributing member of the party, but it’s really one of those “for fun” things you do since there’s really no strict reason to run this build over any other.

Yeah well that logic is why the game is so bogged down. Cause you can do something diffrent that lowers your dps by 20-30% tops, but no one is willing to sacrifice that cause “optimal” and if thats your game, then so be it. But if we are just talking “Viable” there is plenty of VIABLE and decent builds that are still sub optimal.

So basicly, aslong as you aint running nomads/turrets etc, it will be fine to run.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

The problem is that in a pug where you can’t measure the skill of players beforehand, you’re often pretty close to the line between smooth completion and miserable failure. That’s true in guild runs even, it’s not like playing with your friends automatically makes you awesome.

I have no problem with going “screw these pugs, if they’re not going to put in effort I won’t either” though but I usually try to reserve it for open-world or the really easy dungeons like CoF or AC.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Foefaller.1082

The problem is that in a pug where you can’t measure the skill of players beforehand, you’re often pretty close to the line between smooth completion and miserable failure. That’s true in guild runs even, it’s not like playing with your friends automatically makes you awesome.

I have no problem with going “screw these pugs, if they’re not going to put in effort I won’t either” though but I usually try to reserve it for open-world or the really easy dungeons like CoF or AC.

Honestly, if you’re worried about pugs or friends not being up to the same skill level/build quality as you, I’d think you’d go the opposite way, and run something more support-oriented to make sure they can see the fight to the end.

IMO running an “optimal” dps build only works when everyone else can take care of themselves at least 95% of the time, because the whole point of going full dps isn’t to make the content easier to complete, it’s to complete it faster, and it doesn’t matter how big the numbers you can put up are if you’re the only one who can keep on your feet. At that point, what will make the difference is either enough support to keep them standing or the CC and endurance to kite the baddies long enough to create some breathing room and get some resses in.

That’s part of why I like my SD build, going all the way into tools and pick up Adrenal Implants at the end, because when it calls for it, I know I’ll always have the endurance to go in to res somebody and get the fudge out of there if I need to. (the other part is, like Dice Dragon, I’m sick of explosives)

Then again, I have serious problems with leaving a group just because we’re running into problems, so maximizing the odds of getting though whatever with the group I have is more important to me than lowering the potential Time to Completion.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

If that’s what you’re worried about, losing another 10% or so and taking healbombs is probably your best bet. I generally find that the biggest problem in pugs isn’t healing (there’s always at least one guy trying to be a dedicated healer) but rather lack of DPS to take down trash and bosses. The engie’s big might and vuln stacks and high burst are very good there. You won’t get that support contribution with an SD build though even if you do get the burst.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Foefaller.1082

Isn’t there only something like 4 encounters in the entire game where good/high dps is a must? and I think one is Teq (which is also one of the few fights zerker is largely inferior to other stat combos) and two of the others are fractal bosses that only get that way at higher levels.

In my experience, outside of those few fights, Slow and Steady can be just as successful as Fast and Hard, it just takes longer. I guess you could say that just gives you more chances for something to go horribly wrong, but I also think it reduces the odds of that something snowballing into a party wipe.

…though you’re right, if I really wanted to do support as an engie, it wouldn’t be as an SD build. I just enjoy the boost in endurance I can get going 6 into Tools too much to let go, though my survivalability because of that usually does have me end up as the de facto in-combat rezzer.

(edited by Foefaller.1082)

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I just drop Static Discharge and trait 6/6/0/2/0 instead. Gives you permavigor uptime, I’m not even sure if Adrenal Implant stacks with vigor to begin with.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

They do not.
But the traitline is a more stable access to 100% endurance regen since it can’t be corrupted, nor ripped and is active ooc as well.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

The best part about going 30 into tools is all the extra utilities that are picked up along the way. In general, I run static discharge, speedy kits, and adrenal implant, providing speed, damage, and greater survivability all in one. Adrenal Pump is nice, but the big minor trait is Inertial Convertor, which has saved me multiple times (usually with Elixir R or Elixir U, but also with Bandage Self, Elixir S, Thumper Turret, and Bomb Kit). Then you get Enduring Damage, which is a nice damage buff. The recharge reduction on toolbelt skills is nice to have, too.

Going 6/6/0/x/x bombnades is nice, but it is mostly straight up damage. The remaining 2 points has to constantly be switched between out-of-combat speed, additional damage on toolbelts, or additional survivability with proc dependent vigor, and my teammates are rarely ever happy to sit around while I awkwardly fumble with my traits before and after each fight.

In an experienced group or a premade, where I know that defenses and/or out of combat speed will be taken care of, I’m totally going with 6/6/0/x/x. Otherwise, I find myself having a stronger and lower maintenance performance with 2/6/0/0/6. I compared the effective power between 2/6/0/0/6 and 6/6/0/2/0, and the difference between the builds is rather small (0.86%, or less than 1%, comparing 5483 EP vs. 5436 EP), pre boons. The true comparison between builds ends up being over other subjects, such as the overall team contribution of vulnerability and bleeds vs. higher starting direct damage in bombs, overall contribution of static discharge, travel times and OoC travel speed, utility and damage contribution of toolbelt skills, versatility granted by having an extra open utility slot, etc.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Again, I just swap to Medkit and drop Stimulant, which is usually good enough for general purposes and doesn’t require you to open an annoying window and click multiple times.

Viable PvE Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

Isn’t there only something like 4 encounters in the entire game where good/high dps is a must?

Maybe, but there are a lot of fights that become easier if your group has a good damage output, e.g. the Spider Queen and Kholer in AC, two of the final bosses in AC, the weapon smith boss in CoF story, or the fights against the tunnels/nests in AC and CoF.