Video - WvW roaming engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

Hello
This is a first attempt at a movie, all footage was recorded since sunday till this morning on a very slow wvw week (blame wintersday) so don’t expect anything spectacular.

I tried to avoid showing 1v1s since I find them boring to watch and I win the majority of those anyway, but expect a couple of them that I personally liked. Most footage I’m solo but there’s a fight where I’m paired with a guardian guildmate.

I use a fairly obvious p/p elixir build.

I hope you enjoy, feel free to give me your opinion about the movie, the fights or the way I play.

cheers!

edit:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcQQJAqalspSXnvSeF17IRoC4H0D9mX+K6xjh8kB
6x runes of the adventurer
superior sigil of corruption/superior sigil of earth
armor is mostly carrion, jewels are a mix of coral and chrysocola

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

(edited by Maskaganda.2043)

in Engineer

Posted by: Vekthor.8914

Vekthor.8914

Could you please post your build?
Also, congratz, those fights are awesome

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

Thank you for your kind words, build was added.

engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

It’s some good footage, and a simple good working trait setup! But What do you do when you face a decent played condition damage build player? Like a Pistol/Dagger Theif or Necro? I mean, you have none condtion removal, something I have been trying to avoid in my builds! So what do you do?

in Engineer

Posted by: Tyaen.5148

Tyaen.5148

Well done. I applaud you’re skill.

Tyyaen – Engineer (80) [SS]
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

Well, regarding condition thieves it depends alot on the way they play and if I can get my stun (supply drop) off when/if in trouble.

Condition necros are my nemesis tho, stuff like plague signet, epidemic, well of corruption/power combined with having high base hp plus death shroud effectively counter my build. Luckily there doesn’t seem to be many like that around.

Well done. I applaud you’re skill.

thanks

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

Since this seems to have been received well, I’m gooing to release a new one in a couple of weeks with better footage, I’ve pulled alot better fights than these, I just didn’t record them back then :p

thanks again for the praises

in Engineer

Posted by: Phatz.1079

Phatz.1079

This is completely Awesome! I like the Elixir build and the fact that you use P/P which it seem a lot of builds are getting away from that lately.

I also dont mind the fact that you know what class/tactics counter your build and that you are OK with that.

Good Job and Keep It Up

in Engineer

Posted by: Whelm.9072

Whelm.9072

I always appreciate videos.

Anyway, with the amount of elixirs you are throwing around I suppose someone could find a way to throw in Cleaning Formula 409 if they were that worried about conditions. Near constant condition removal for a dps hit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nirvana.8659

Nirvana.8659

Is a pleasure to see this gameplay.
I’m a full elixir set engineer too and , as you , is really rare to lose 1 vs 1 with elixir set.
Also,i finally know that elixir S give visual problem to other players too ,i was thinking the camera problem was only for my PC spec.

Nice video!
Regards.

I apologize for my english.
Engineer : Charliengine
Engineer : Brother Thompson

in Engineer

Posted by: Lordryux.9785

Lordryux.9785

hmm does this build work efficiently in spvp? i want to try it out see if its good or not

in Engineer

Lordryux.9785

alright i tested it.. its awesome x.x lol

in Engineer

Posted by: influx.5372

influx.5372

I thoroughly enjoyed the vids. It is cool seeing engi’s holding thr own. I ran a pistol/elixir build a few months ago but could not figure it out. Your vids give great insight. Ty for them, and sharing your build. I can’t wait to try it on my main who has been getting dusty. We need more engi vids and more unity in the engi player base.

PS- maybe you should turn this post into a guide. WVW Roaming Engi Guide. Like what osicat does with his “shattercat”. Just a thought.

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

I always appreciate videos.

Anyway, with the amount of elixirs you are throwing around I suppose someone could find a way to throw in Cleaning Formula 409 if they were that worried about conditions. Near constant condition removal for a dps hit.

removing HGH and slotting 409 works just fine. I’ve used it for a while, I just feel I get more out of might stacks than condition removal, especially in long fights when might stacks go up into double figures.

hmm does this build work efficiently in spvp? i want to try it out see if its good or not

I’ve played it in spvp with a few variations and it does fine. It’s my personal opinion, however, that an engineer has better roles to fill in spvp. I don’t do spvp much so I’m probably not the right person to comment on it.

PS- maybe you should turn this post into a guide. WVW Roaming Engi Guide. Like what osicat does with his “shattercat”. Just a thought.

I’m a bit too lazy for this but I guess I could write a guide if more people are interested.

Thank you guys for your comments, I wasn’t expecting such good reactions. As I said ALL this footage was shot during 4 days of a very slow wvw week, I’ve pulled way better fights than this before and since. I’ll try to have something ready before the next patch/event cycle.
cheers

in Engineer

Posted by: silvershadez.8421

silvershadez.8421

I’m testing your build right now and it’s pretty good. Allways underestimated coated bullets trait.

I just can’t watch your video since I’m from germany and it was restricted for us, so forgive me if I ask you something you may have shown in the video.

The onliest thing I kind of miss in your build is the permanent movementspeed increase from speedy kits. What do you generally use to not allways fall behind?

in Engineer

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Superior Rune of the Centaur is your friend silvershadez

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

I do not use runes of the centaur. I don’t have permanet swiftness either. I use elixir B for a speed boost when needed and glue shot to keep foes at bay. Elixir B triggers at 75% too, that helps with kiting a bit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Siofra Crumble.2098

Siofra Crumble.2098

Well, after being beaten to a pulp by you on my borderlands I feel obligated to post something.

You rendered my bombkit completely useless because you pretty much knew what was coming I’m guessing.
My only chance of winning was my trusted pistol and my shield but those lacked in comparison to yours, which are fully traited.
It’s amazing how fast you can properly react to the randomness the elixirs provide tho’.
Had a blast fighting you and it was literally the first time another engineer kicked my kitten in a straight and fair 1vs1 fight.

Ps. I didn’t mean to pull the guards (didn’t see them). I was just scattering to stay alive.

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did and keep roaming.
Engineers are without a doubt one of the best classes for roaming WvW.

Cheers

in Engineer

Posted by: Pannonica.5378

Pannonica.5378

I’m testing your build right now and it’s pretty good. Allways underestimated coated bullets trait.

I just can’t watch your video since I’m from germany and it was restricted for us, so forgive me if I ask you something you may have shown in the video.

The onliest thing I kind of miss in your build is the permanent movementspeed increase from speedy kits. What do you generally use to not allways fall behind?

Google, “youtube unblock” and you will find sites that let you unblock youtube videos on the fly.

To the OP: I really like this build. It feels tanky and does good damage as well. Its fun.
For me the lack of perma Swiftness is kind of hard to accept though; not because of kiting… I’m usually running in a 20+ man group and even with perma Swiftness I usually fall behind. Soloing, I’m always late for objectives without perma Swiftness.
Thanks for the video and your build nonetheless! Very relaxed play style. Also, I like the first song.

Pannonica
Red Guard

in Engineer

Posted by: Quiggle.4215

Quiggle.4215

Great video, I run P/P as well with elixers.

Just curious why you chose Carrion over Rabid? I’ve enjoyed the advantage of the toughness over vitality, and the crit procs more conditions — however clearly I lose the power.

I’ve been running with 409 for condition removal and very high toughness.

Awesome work!

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

Well, after being beaten to a pulp by you on my borderlands I feel obligated to post something.

You rendered my bombkit completely useless because you pretty much knew what was coming I’m guessing.
My only chance of winning was my trusted pistol and my shield but those lacked in comparison to yours, which are fully traited.
It’s amazing how fast you can properly react to the randomness the elixirs provide tho’.
Had a blast fighting you and it was literally the first time another engineer kicked my kitten in a straight and fair 1vs1 fight.

Ps. I didn’t mean to pull the guards (didn’t see them). I was just scattering to stay alive.

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did and keep roaming.
Engineers are without a doubt one of the best classes for roaming WvW.

Cheers

yea, those were some really fun fights, I knew what you were trying to pull with the bombs so I just used elixir S to get away from those :p
still, your build was pretty solid and those were tough fights.
and don’t worry about the guards, it’s part of the game

To the OP: I really like this build. It feels tanky and does good damage as well. Its fun.
For me the lack of perma Swiftness is kind of hard to accept though; not because of kiting… I’m usually running in a 20+ man group and even with perma Swiftness I usually fall behind. Soloing, I’m always late for objectives without perma Swiftness.
Thanks for the video and your build nonetheless! Very relaxed play style. Also, I like the first song.

well, if that is your problem, there’s a little trick you can do if not in combat. just swap some utility to slick shoes and use the F skill (superspeed), then swap back to the regular utility. you won’t have a cooldown on the F skill.
the first song is sugarfoot by black joe lewis
also, thanks!

Great video, I run P/P as well with elixers.

Just curious why you chose Carrion over Rabid? I’ve enjoyed the advantage of the toughness over vitality, and the crit procs more conditions — however clearly I lose the power.

I’ve been running with 409 for condition removal and very high toughness.

Awesome work!

I find it that you need a balance between condition damage and power to be effective with this build. I have some other pieces with toughness/precision too, but since I get 300 points of precision from the traits I didn’t invest that much into it. I still have 40% base crit rate which is fine.

in Engineer

Quiggle.4215

I see you have the annoying glitch with elixir S which makes your camera do jumping fits too…..

in Engineer

Quiggle.4215

Regarding the cloaking device, I love the idea, but when I have run with it, I end up auto-attacking myself right out of the cloak, how often do you find you are making good use of it? Just curious.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ponder.3647

Ponder.3647

Great video.

Your build looks like a lot of fun, and I can’t wait to give it a shot. What is the wrench icon listed in your buffs? o.O

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

Regarding the cloaking device, I love the idea, but when I have run with it, I end up auto-attacking myself right out of the cloak, how often do you find you are making good use of it? Just curious.

very very often. it’s a life saver.

Great video.

Your build looks like a lot of fun, and I can’t wait to give it a shot. What is the wrench icon listed in your buffs? o.O

it’s “quality tuning crystal”, it stacks with food buffs. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quality_Tuning_Crystal
there’s master tuning crystals as well but they are much more expensive so I normally dont use them. besides, I ended up with a stack of 300 from leveling artificer on an alt.

in Engineer

Ponder.3647

it’s “quality tuning crystal”, it stacks with food buffs. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quality_Tuning_Crystal
there’s master tuning crystals as well but they are much more expensive so I normally dont use them. besides, I ended up with a stack of 300 from leveling artificer on an alt.

Good to know! What sort of food do you use? Also, maybe I missed it but what do you do for gear? Would my Pow/Tough/Vit set make the cut, or would I need to consider changing gear out?

in Engineer

Quiggle.4215

I like your use of the runes of adventurer. I use the Exlir R for my stunbreak and more dodging, but without it, I think runes of adventure is awesome, I never thought of those.

in Engineer

Lordryux.9785

ima try this for spvp i mean i tried it once but i didnt really decide on a solid amulet to use before but still did decent with rabids amulet but now i played around with the build simulator and it seems carrion amulet with celestial jewl seems to give good results to ur stats so ima try this now see how it fairs

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

Good to know! What sort of food do you use? Also, maybe I missed it but what do you do for gear? Would my Pow/Tough/Vit set make the cut, or would I need to consider changing gear out?

I use fire flank steaks atm http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Plate_of_Fire_Flank_Steak
Food buffs are my way of fine tuning the stats and since I lost a great deal of power when I got a couple of ascended items I now use this.

Like I said before, I feel you need a balance between power and condition damage to be effective so I don’t know just how good your gear would be.

in Engineer

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

in Engineer

Pannonica.5378

There is a kitten hiding in your second link, preventing us from seeing the DPS build.
This word filter…
Seriously, in game on my german client lots of names of items are partly filtered out because the filter doesn’t discriminate between parts of words and full words… It doesn’t even factor out ANets own item names.

Pannonica
Red Guard

(edited by Pannonica.5378)

in Engineer

Pannonica.5378

Maskaganda, at time index 12:38 in your video you start to throw elixirs underwater. F1 and F2…. How do you make the Toss Elixir effect actually hit you?
If I toss underwater, the elixir gets thrown in a straight line away from me and consequently does not hit myself.

Pannonica
Red Guard

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

First key stroke tosses the elixir, second detonates it. if you do it quick enough it detonates on your face . You can also do it against a wall.

in Engineer

Pannonica.5378

Thank you. Much appreciated!

Pannonica
Red Guard

in Engineer

Ponder.3647

After using this build in WvW I can say that it’s amazing and tons of fun. Running solo, the build is nearly perfect as is. When with a zerg, I was going to try dropping HGH for Formula 409.

This build melts face. :P

in Engineer

Posted by: Sladeakakevin.4162

Sladeakakevin.4162

How come you choose P\P over P\S? I’ve been running P\S forever because I feel the shield skills are invaluable, then again we run different kinds of specs it seems.

http://goo.gl/f2HAB

This is my spec, I focus more on defensive and condition removal. What is your opinion on Shield vs Pistol, and HGH vs Cleansing 409?

Excellent fighting skills btw.

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

I like the shield skills but I never got used to the long cooldowns. Blowtorch deals an insane amount of damage up close and glue shot is great for kiting melee. Notice I didnt take incendiary powder (I find 10 points in explosives to be a waste, unless you really want the condition duration, works well with a rare veggie pizza), so blowtorch is my only burn damage.

As for HGH vs 409, they both work just fine, it’s a matter of preference. My reasoning for taking hgh over 409 is that HGH will help you in every fight while 409 will only help you in some fights; hgh also builds momentum in longer fights as you can see in my vid.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sladeakakevin.4162

Sladeakakevin.4162

I like the shield skills but I never got used to the long cooldowns. Blowtorch deals an insane amount of damage up close and glue shot is great for kiting melee. Notice I didnt take incendiary powder (I find 10 points in explosives to be a waste, unless you really want the condition duration, works well with a rare veggie pizza), so blowtorch is my only burn damage.

As for HGH vs 409, they both work just fine, it’s a matter of preference. My reasoning for taking hgh over 409 is that HGH will help you in every fight while 409 will only help you in some fights; hgh also builds momentum in longer fights as you can see in my vid.

I can see the tradeoff, glue shot does have some great utility. I can’t let go of the stun on #5 shield skill when fighting melee, especially thieves. If you get close enough to a ranged character and pop it, it will stun them too. #4 reflect is also great against ranged, but it’s just a different playstyle I suppose.

I think I’ll try out that inventions +10 instead of incendiary powder, I never noticed how much I get immobilized and turning invisible would be awesome. Is there an internal CD on that? Can you turn Invisible multiple times within a short timeframe?

I find without 409 I struggle against condition heavy classes, then again I play a more defensive spec but HGH sounds interesting.

Do you find Elixir U to be that useful? I noticed you didn’t use it that much in your video. I used to like it but I feel replacing it with a kit gives you more options and utility. Tool kit or Flamethrower kit are great alternatives.

in Engineer

Pannonica.5378

Do you find Elixir U to be that useful? I noticed you didn’t use it that much in your video. I used to like it but I feel replacing it with a kit gives you more options and utility. Tool kit or Flamethrower kit are great alternatives.

You need to watch his video again! He uses Toss Elixir U all the time. It is one of his key abilities in my opinion.
Its crazy useful.
I hope the Etheral Field (Veil) stays in the game, as Veil is supposed to create a Light Field :P.
It is handy to have another confusion source.

That said, of course other kits are useful, but the 33% chance to get Veil (Stealth and Etheral Field+Projectile Finisher=Confusion) alone is worth it over everything else in my opinion. 33% chance to get Smoke Screen (Smoke Field+Projectile Finisher=Blindness and Blast Finisher for those who use shield=ANOTHER source of (Area)Stealth). 33% chance to get Wall of Reflection (awesome to get away from enemies+it is a Light Field so + Projectile Finisher it removes conditions from you in melee/medium range combat).

The distraction/utility you get from Toss Elixir U is really great.
On top of that you get Quickness for surprising PDV dps output.

Pannonica
Red Guard

(edited by Pannonica.5378)

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

I think I’ll try out that inventions +10 instead of incendiary powder, I never noticed how much I get immobilized and turning invisible would be awesome. Is there an internal CD on that? Can you turn Invisible multiple times within a short timeframe?

As far as I know there is no cooldown on cloaking device. I might be wrong but even if there is, it must be a really short one (like less than 5 seconds).
Elixir U is useful, but I only use it when I’m sure it will pay off and I’m not likely to get hit: enemies closed together, chasing someone, jumping someone, shooting from above, etc.
That being said, it is the skill I drop whenever I want to use something else like elixir gun/bomb kit/grenades/slic shoes/elixir r-c. I don’t even use elixir U underwater or in pve, I rather use elixir gun.
As for the toss, yea, I use it all the time :p