Vitality and Toughness for Engineers

in Engineer

Posted by: FiftyTwoBears.5482

FiftyTwoBears.5482

So I just hit 80, and I’ve been stacking these 3 stats mainly, Power, Vitality, and Toughness, with some Condition Damage whenever I can. I understand that Survivability is important for any class, especially for Engineers whether in PvP or PvE.

So my question to you is, how much Toughness should I have at 80 for my Engy? I figured there is never such a thing as to much Vitality, but I think there probably is a certain amount of Toughness I need to survive most criticals.

Any thoughts, ideas, or numbers to throw at me?

Currently my engy has about 22,000 HP average when equipped with his normal weapons, and about 20,000 without his weapons.

in Engineer

Posted by: Twomix.5384

Twomix.5384

I’m using the same stat configuration as you too on my flamethrower engineer. I think it allows me to survive longer at the expensive of doing insanely huge DPS.

in Engineer

Posted by: FiftyTwoBears.5482

FiftyTwoBears.5482

I personally have been able to take on mobs of 10 or more with the Bomb and Grenade kit.

ive been thinking about maybe just taking out the Condition Damage state and start stacking some +Healing instead.

But honestly, anybody have any idea how much Toughness one needs in general? I feel like you only need so much toughness before all it comes down to is Vitality.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

I run around with 20k hp and 2700 armor, 3100 attack and 1500 condition damage (hooray for near permanent 14-18 stacks of might)

I think someone did the math a long long time ago, and toughness gives you about 3.4% damage reduction per 100 against direct non condition damage sources.

in Engineer

Posted by: Twomix.5384

Twomix.5384

with 3.4% damage reduction and 2700 armor that’s around 91.80% damage reduction ?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

in Engineer

Posted by: chimera.5813

chimera.5813

For my engineer I prefer vitality to toughness, mostly because it helps more against condition damage, and I rarely feel like I have great protection against those, since I tend to not use the alchemy line.

That said, I prefer a mixture of the two stats to just going hog wild with one of them.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

My Engineer, at level 80, traited into Inventions, with Knight’s Emblazoned Leather (Exotic Leather Armor) and a Knight’s Pearl Blunderbuss (Exotic Rifle) has 1,778 Toughness, and 16,232 HP – they’re in Break On Touch category on that math thing.

Seriously need some more Vitality.

in Engineer

Posted by: Genesis.3295

Genesis.3295

Depends on if you’re talking spvp, pve, or wv3. Google vitality vs toughness and you’ll get almost all your answers. However, I play a bunker in spvp so I run max toughness and pistol/shield and do a lot better than stacking max vit just because I feel like engineers already have a good hp pool and need more work on toughness because of their medium gear