What Kind of Gear/Stats for WvW?

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I’ve always been a PvE player but have recently decided to try my hand at WvW. As a PvE-er I have full zerker gear with a variety of trinkets (knights, soldiers, zerk, celestial) sprinkled in as needed for survivability.

I’m going to try a rifle/SD build in WvW first (eventually will try FT & nades I’m sure). I’ll need new gear obviously but what kind of gear/stats should I be shooting for? Is it wise to have at least 20k hp and 3k defense? More? What’s most important, vit or tough?

Also, are there any really incredibly useful traits for survivability in WvW?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: MentalPause.9183

MentalPause.9183

I have not really played an SD build before, so I may be wrong here. SD builds are typically more bursty than other builds and thus will have less survivability. As far as I know most people run a combination of Knights gear with mix of Berserker and Valkyrie gear. (Please correct me if I’m wrong) You should be aiming for about 50% crit damage which after traits, 30 in tools for 30% crit damage, you’ll only need to get around 20% more from gear. Gear is really dependent on what type of build you run.Typically in the builds I run for WvW I’m sitting around 18k health and 1.8k toughness and find that to be more than enough.

ON GEAR: (in general) Knights gear seems to me to be a good start for WvW in general, especially if your not exactly sure what you want to play. It fits into a lot of builds.

As for useful traits in WvW a few come to mind:

• Cloaking Device. At 10 in inventions this skill is great. Immobilizes happen often and getting a 5 second stealth when it happens really helps out a lot.
  • Protection Injection: Another good one to help stabilize from crowd control. 10 points in Alchemy for this trait gives you protection every time your disabled.
  • Speedy Kits/Invigorating Speed: This is a good combo for infinite vigor, which means lots of dodges. 10 points in tools and alchemy.

There are others, but off the top of my head these seem to be the most common. Hope that helps.

- Oresan

EDIT: I’d also like to note that I have 5 sets of gear for WvW.

• An all Condition Set.
  • An all Power set with for burst damage.
  • An all PVT set for tankyness.
  • A hybrid Power/Condition set.
  • A healing Set.

The one thing they all have in common: High Toughness and 18k+ hp.

Fort Aspenwood WvW’er
Officer of Bloodwork [RED] http://bloodwork.boards.net/thread/145/interested-joining-red

(edited by MentalPause.9183)

in Engineer

Seras.5702

Thanks Mental, that’s a good place to start.

Is toughness > vitality?

in Engineer

Posted by: MentalPause.9183

MentalPause.9183

Thanks Mental, that’s a good place to start.

Is toughness > vitality?

Yeah I’d say so. I’m sure its debatable though.

Fort Aspenwood WvW’er
Officer of Bloodwork [RED] http://bloodwork.boards.net/thread/145/interested-joining-red

in Engineer

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

Celestial. It’s a beast .

in Engineer

Seras.5702

Celestial. It’s a beast .

Guess I’m going to have to drop some serious gold leveling LW to 400 and acquiring all the celestial recipes.

Sucks that Celestial gems can only be socketed into accessories and not armor.