What determines FT and SD damage?

in Engineer

Posted by: mecra.5780

mecra.5780

Is it level based and thus static or does it change depending on weapon held or stat?

I’m trying to determine if I can just go straight FT for PvE/WvW or if Rifle SD is just simply that much better depending on gear. (like, FT will never go up but Rifle SD can because of better gear.)

I’m also toying with a rather unconventional FT SD trait build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQFAUl0pyUH5y3F17IxYGkW0gZU/7KSh+bMA-TkAg1CoIQShkDJDSSnsOdCB

0 / 25 / 0 / 20 / 25

Granted the build is more PvE than WvW.

(edited by mecra.5780)

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

All skill damage is calculated by a multiplier.

(Power x Skill Coefficient x Weapon Damage Value) / (Target’s Armor Value)

When you look at a skill’s tooltip, it is rounding out your damage from hitting a target with 2600 Armor. Let’s say Flame Jet has a Skill Coefficient of 1.5 of your Power value. Let’s assume you have 2000 Power. All Engineer kits have a Weapon Damage Value of 969. The calculation would look something like this:

(2000 × 1.5 × 969) / (2600) = 1118 damage per Flame Jet (111 per tick, non-crit)

Obviously this damage is then modified by your Critical Damage, which is a base 150% multiplier to the damage of your attack. Any additional Critical Damage stacked into your gear contributes to this value, so if you have +90% Critical Damage in your gear, that means every crit is multiplied by 240%.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

mecra.5780

Thanks for the info. So much more reason then for Berserker gear…

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Pretty much. I run full Berserker for the Flamethrower, at least on the PvE side of things.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

mecra.5780

Is FT competitive for PvE at 80? Or should I more consider a SD build?

in Engineer

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

I don’t think you want to use a SD build for pve, or at least for dungeons in pve. But yes ft works fine for pve, it won’t top the damage charts compared to a nade build or the burstyness of a rifle sd build, however when you pair the ft with the eg it makes for a powerful and effective group build more than capable of putting out respectable damage.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

That depends. If all you care about is DPS, then I would use Static Discharge with the Rifle. But with that setup, you’re squishier than a Berserker Warrior, with a lower Armor value and a weaker HP pool. Traits also get kind of difficult, especially since it’s hard to fit Speedy Kits/Infused Precision into your setup to get Vigor.

I like the Flamethrower because it still offers great DPS (especially with 25 Tools) while elevating my armor value to that of a heavy.

I find that the damage difference between the FT and Rifle SD noticeable, but is rarely fully taken advantage of. Unless you care about counting the seconds of your Arah Explorable runs, it really doesn’t matter.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Vyxion.6358

Vyxion.6358

Also, FT and SD are not mutually exclusive. You could just combine them you know I did that pre-patch with my firestorm build (guide for it on forum) but I haven’t looked at it yet since patch because I’m too busy IRL.

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Also, FT and SD are not mutually exclusive. You could just combine them you know I did that pre-patch with my firestorm build (guide for it on forum) but I haven’t looked at it yet since patch because I’m too busy IRL.

I’ve been contemplating exactly this since the latest patch. Juggernaut dropping to 20pts means I might be able to have some fun combining the 2 into a dynamic build.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

mecra.5780

My apologies, it seems that the build I linked above doesn’t go to what I was thinking

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQFAUl0pyUH5SrF17IxYGkW0gZU/7KSh+bMA-jAyAYLAKECRAIBWEN2CXR0Y11YKXioaDeR0qFCY0CA-e

These are how I’m going to experiment with my traits.

-edit- I didn’t have the FT skill in there. :P

(edited by mecra.5780)

in Engineer

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

All skill damage is calculated by a multiplier.

(Power x Skill Coefficient x Weapon Damage Value) / (Target’s Armor Value)

When you look at a skill’s tooltip, it is rounding out your damage from hitting a target with 2600 Armor. Let’s say Flame Jet has a Skill Coefficient of 1.5 of your Power value. Let’s assume you have 2000 Power. All Engineer kits have a Weapon Damage Value of 969. The calculation would look something like this:

(2000 × 1.5 × 969) / (2600) = 1118 damage per Flame Jet (111 per tick, non-crit)

Obviously this damage is then modified by your Critical Damage, which is a base 150% multiplier to the damage of your attack. Any additional Critical Damage stacked into your gear contributes to this value, so if you have +90% Critical Damage in your gear, that means every crit is multiplied by 240%.

Right, but how do you calculate the multiplier for Static Discharge? Is it based on the tool belt skill? Because the value fluctuates quite a bit when hitting targets.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD