What do you *love* about your Engineer?

in Engineer

Posted by: Thamyris.3570

Thamyris.3570

So there seems to be a lot of negativity around engineers at the moment, if I was lead designer I would be half way through a bottle of scotch by now wondering where it all went wrong!

So lets give our imaginary designer a lift, I love my engineer and I know a lot of you guys do, tell us why.

1. Kits are a great mechanic , love whipping out my massive… crowbar and giving the enemy a good bonk in between rifle blasts.

2. So many tools , toolbelt is a great idea and make you feel like your set for anything, more than make us for lost slot on kits.

3. Animations , with the exception of one rifle skill they all look great and are really satisfying.

4. Play style , running about the battle field throwing out grenades, pogo-ing on my rifle, throwing out rams heads, all that good stuff. Playing an engineer is just the right amount of crazy.

5. Skill cap , its a deep class which requires a lot of focus to play well, and its sooo satisfying when you do everything right 1v1 in pvp.

Disclaimer: Blatant rip off of the “What do you hate about your engineer” thread.

in Engineer

Posted by: Haltus Kain.4578

Haltus Kain.4578

I love the class concept. Steampunk ftw. I’ve always been amazed that so many fantasy MMOs fail to have a class that features steampunk elements - nice to see one get that right.

Haltus Kain [BGV] – 80 Engineer Mesmer – Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

Control. Nothing brings me more joy than to physically keep one person out of the fight.

Rifle/Flamethrower/PBR/Slick Shoes is the ultimate control build. Could replace Flamethrower for Bomb Kit for Big Ole Bomb is you want.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lyuben.2613

Lyuben.2613

@Thamyris

Could you try rephrasing that to a sentence that makes sense?

Vibor Bauman- Level 80 Engineer- Gandara

in Engineer

Posted by: Lauren.3061

Lauren.3061

Control. Nothing brings me more joy than to physically keep one person out of the fight.

This. I love our variety of control options. For me, this applies equally to PvE as well.

~Arabella

in Engineer

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

Mostly the theme of the engineer.
I really didn’t want to play as some generic fantasy character carrying a sword or bow or using flashy frame rate dropping spells, and then the engineer appeared.
A guns, gadgets and explosions somewhat modern type class just seemed to shine out of all of the other options presented to me.

in Engineer

Posted by: Magic Night.1308

Magic Night.1308

Like others have mentioned, the steampunk theme just rocks. And there’s tons of playstyles and tactics with engineers which I never get bored of. We got awesome aoe, can attack from a distance and if mobs get close just bam and take them out with the shot gun.

in Engineer

Posted by: Irascible.8210

Irascible.8210

Everything. I feel like I’m at home when I’m on an Engineer. The knockbacks, the blinds, the control, the mobility, the POWER, the complete confidence that I will put down anyone that comes my way, the fact that I can hold off 2-3 people long enough for my team to cap a node and then run across the entire map to support me before I go down.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zandur.5012

Zandur.5012

1.) The toolbelt is a great class mechanic
2.) Overcharge shot
3.) The look of the flame thrower and elixir gun kit is great, and I can’t wait for these kits to not suck
4.) Big ol bomb
5.) The stat combo’s in our trait trees are perfect like ‘Power + Condition Duration’ or ‘Toughness + Healing’, these just seem to go together well.
6.) Permanent swiftness

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

1) Love the Shield. We are the only class that can carry a shield and reach out of melee range
2) Love all of the kits and how the tool belt skills reflect the kits theme.
3) I love that I can keep multiple stacks of confusion up 100% of the time. Nothing is more fun then watching the enemy do serious damage to themselves with each attack
4) Permissiveness
5) Love how east it is to go from a support and heal tic role, to a control role, to damage role with little effort and no need to change traits.
6) I love the debuff utility we have. I feel that is one of the most overlooked features of the class and is extremely group rewarding on bosses.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

1, The least played class.
2, Good all araund
3, Extremely fun in pvp (exspecially when you can use out the terrain)
4, The Eye patch items.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Versatility.

That’s it mostly…

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

I love the concept of the Engineer.
I love that the Engineer has turrets.

umm… hmm… that seems to be it.

in Engineer

Posted by: achmed.6542

achmed.6542

The kits. i love to switch them midfight and make use of the new offered abilities and their TB skills.
during a fight i switch kits like 4 times allready, making me feel liek a DJ ^^
blunderbuss > overcharged shot > net > jumpshot > prybar > nails > dodge back (bomb) > another bomb > acidbomb > loot corpse ^^

in Engineer

Posted by: Bogey.5423

Bogey.5423

Guns, guns, guns. It is so refreshing to play steampunk style of character in fantasy world. I try to log in to my other characters with different profession, but after few minutes find myself logging on my engineer again. It just feels right.

[Hex]

in Engineer

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

As many others i like the theme. I like the idea of being an engineer in a fantasy world. I like big ol bomb. I like my several ways to knock people around and blow stuff up. I like the ’idea" of being a guy who builds turrets and machinery to fight my battles for me.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mighty Favazz.1546

Mighty Favazz.1546

It’s a refreshing class. Not the generic, been there, done that fantasy prof.
I like the skirmishing.
I like BoB.
I like the versatility.

As others have said above me, there’s lots to like.

in Engineer

Posted by: Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Thank you for this thread, I was super getting tired of all the hate.

I love the jack of all trades feel of the engineer.
I love the survivability/utillity of the class in WvW – its utterly glorious!
I love Elixers, they crack me up, i’ve come to really enjoy the randomness, use of them.

Launching my asuran engineer around the map using rocket boots, overcharged shot, or anything else that sends me flying always makes me smile. I enjoy the hilarity that the class provides.

DH Yak’s Bend – Perfect Dark [PD]
Dr Hoppenheimer – Engi / Meowzir – Guard /
Mulcibur Nox – Ele / Mr Directed – Mes

in Engineer

Posted by: AndrewWaltfeld.4621

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

The flexibility of the class is what draws me in. The class centered around not what weapon you use, but your utility skills is refreshing in my opinion. I enjoy the fact that I Get to throw grenades, plant bombs or light things on fire with the flame thrower kit.

the class WAS the one thing that made me purchase guild wars 2 hands down. If It wasn’t for this class – I wouldn’t be playing guild wars 2 at all.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I like turrets.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sporadicus.1028

Sporadicus.1028

I like kits. I like the ability to quickly shift in and out of them, and the short cooldown for this. I like the diversity of skills between them. A kit-using eng (2 skill-slots with kits) makes for a dangerous guy as he probably has 15 different attacks to use against an enemy, all available (more or less) within a second of each other. That’s not counting his toolbelt skills, his third utility skill, or his Elite.

Malkin Rawl – Charr Engineer, Tarnished Coast
Loudmouth, lousy PvPer, and mediocre PvEer.
I don’t own, I just play

in Engineer

Posted by: Belz.9037

Belz.9037

Everything! I have really fallen in love with this profession. Minor tweaks needed aside, this class outshines all other professions with its looks, animations and control ability.

My favourite profession hands down.

in Engineer

Posted by: CptCosmic.3156

CptCosmic.3156

I am amused about the fact that people think that the engineer is versatile… actually he is not that versatile. taking kits (kits that do not use weapons stats or sigilis) means you give up stun breakers or condition removal.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Engineer can be crazy versatile if you know what you’re doing. I’ll list a few ways:

1: Kits: Medkit + 3 Utility Kits = 29 skills available in any battle (5 Weapon skills, 20 alt-weapon skills from Kits, 4 Toolbelt).

2: Turrets: Though bugged, a turret engineer can generate two useful combo fields – Light and Smoke. Via Detonate Turret, they can self-combo the turrets with themselves, allowing the use of, say, healing turrets as heal grenades. Then there’s the effects of the turrets themselves.

3: Gadgets: Rocket boots, utility goggles, landmines, oil-slick boots, personal battering rams – almost all of them have to do with controlling position, though the goggles instead just let you hit one enemy really hard.

4: Elixirs: As (stupidly) randomized their effects are, they can do some crazy things. Would be better if they were predictable, but hey, drop an Elixir R on yourself when you’re about to go down and you’ll see that some of them have their uses.

5: Blend: This is probably what you’re supposed to do, and affords some pretty hilarious specialized builds. For example, a single Engineer can whip out up to six different healing effects at a time with almost no effort – Healing Turret (and its Toolbelt skill, though never at the same time, and the Detonate Turret’s AoE Heal effect), Elixir Gun’s Super Elixir (and Elixir Gun’s Toolbelt skill, and Kit Refinement Super Elixir)…with the use of two slots: Healing and one Utility, with minimal spending of trait points. To be unstunnable, put on some Utility Goggles, Rocket Boots, and a sack of Elixir R – apparently, you can even Goggles out of the Boot knockdown, and then you’d still have Elixir R waiting (and throwable if you needed it). For condition removal, it’s all about Elixir C, the Healing Turret, and the Elixir Gun – maybe with that Cleaning Solution 409 trait on top of it, though at that point it’s just silly.

tl;dr: Yeah, the Engineer’s pretty versatile. You just have to specialize in nonspecialization, learn what your various tools are capable of, and then employ them properly. This is likely why Kits are so popular.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

I am amused about the fact that people think that the engineer is versatile… actually he is not that versatile. taking kits (kits that do not use weapons stats or sigilis) means you give up stun breakers or condition removal.

You don’t give up condition removal, but you do indeed give up stunbreakers, since surprisingly not a single kit has a stun breaking toolbelt skill.
I think you’re only half right on this.

Not many people run with 3 kits by the way, only utter nuts like me do

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Not a whole lot of people run nothing but turrets, either, as far as I know, so you’re in good (crazy) company.

in Engineer

Posted by: DjJazzman.4031

DjJazzman.4031

1) Flamethrower

2) The ability to use the mine kit underwater, best way to kite to victory.

3) Norn rifle, norn weapons are the only good looking weapons next to charr.

4) Flamethrower

5) Three turrets + emergency supplies crat.

6) Flamethrower

7) Flamethrower

8) Flamethrower

9) Flamethrower

10) Flamethrower

Leyologist Tibbol, [I]Arcane Leyline Expert and Synergetics Graduate[/I] Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: Tact.1053

Tact.1053

Thank goodness someone made this thread. I love my Engineer to death! I’m a rifle user and it’s awesome. I am so tired of seeing nothing but hate on here. Be constructive people! Our class is a box of fun… and gadgets… and potions… and turrets… and……..

[IHOP] 24/7 baby.

in Engineer

Posted by: Siofra Crumble.2098

Siofra Crumble.2098

Diversity.

And I adore the shield skills.
The grenade kit is awesome, despite people not loving it.
It’s a hard to master kit, but well worth the effort.

in Engineer

Posted by: slybri.2946

slybri.2946

Bomb Kiting in PvE. Saving the day with a well timed supply drop. ’Nading the heck out of the enemy lines. Dropping a Big ole Bomb in a thick pack of mobs. I feel like Wile E. Coyote!

in Engineer

Posted by: Darksun.1054

Darksun.1054

The large access we have of combo fields and blast finishers. Want AoE heals? might? stealth? give enemy AoE weakness? In a coordinated tPvP I give my team chaos armor on the regular. Tons of support and damage.

in Engineer

Posted by: Blizt.3086

Blizt.3086

If I have to summarize everything, what one of my friend once said would best describe my feeling toward the Engineer class:

“Wat son? You swap skills like the fist of the north star.”

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

I get to hit people with wrenches … what else more do you need?

in Engineer

Posted by: YoshiOfYellow.7862

YoshiOfYellow.7862

Engineer just really suits my tendency to be super sporadic with classes and characters in MMOs. Normally I have a real bad habit of not being able to stick with one character too long and making lots of noobies of the other classes and never getting too far on any of them. Engineer lets me be crazy sporadic attention deficit within one character and it’s incredible.

Plus there’s just something about an asura flying backwards with rocket boots screaming that just feels right.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sanguine.6501

Sanguine.6501

You lot just inspired me to make my first Engineer since BWE2. It’s level 5 so far, and already a lot of fun! I’m loving the random boons granted by buff powers; it adds unpredictability to a fight.

To be honest, I think a lot of people (maybe most) would hate this profession precisely because of the unpredictability, but it’s exactly what I find fun. I’m really only interested in PvE right now, and this and Necro are a lot of fun in PvE.

Thanks guys!

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

The one and only reason that I was drawn to engineer in BW1 up to this day, was that it was the only class that could use a shield with a ranged weapon. Once I found out I could throw the shield and with an AoE daze both ways, as well as the fact that I realized I could fight 5 ranged mobs and reflect all of their ranged attacks and have the reflected projectiles be effected by my crit rate, I was even more happy about the professions shield use.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nabarue.3290

Nabarue.3290

Gotta love being the Jack of All Trades.

My favorite aspect though: Kit Swapping. Endless swiftness! Makes my little Asura look like I’ve had a whole pot of coffee before 8 am.

Sir Sprocket the Engi/ Kyoryu Silver the Ele
And my Alter-Ego- Kyoryu Gold, Mesmer, Thundering Hero, wielder of the Legendary Meteorlogicus!

in Engineer

Posted by: Kat.5982

Kat.5982

Grenades. There are a lot of things I love about the engineer, but when I come up on a few enemies trying to stomp one of my friendlies and I just rain fire on them and kill them before they even know where I am. That feeling. Just yes.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

All of the above. In another game, I’ve played tech’s and the like.. so when the class was posted on the Anet docket, I was like.. hurray!

I adore being versatile, and finding new builds and theorycraft. I even find enjoyment in builds that aren’t so ‘viable’ by others who find them to be somewhat weak. I have fun by creating chaos. 90% of the time, chaos subscribes to no one typical build. Explosives, fire, energy blasts, turret blasts, and controls are all part of the game. Effectiveness on my engineer is only partially based upon numbers, and mostly about ATTITUDE.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

in Engineer

Posted by: Nepocrates.3642

Nepocrates.3642

I love that while I may not be the greatest at any one thing, I can change to meet the immediate need. So the versatility is what I love about my class

in Engineer

Posted by: Calavera.1086

Calavera.1086

I love to throw my shield Captain America style.

in Engineer

Posted by: Chiggerbite.6572

Chiggerbite.6572

I’m with what a lot of others have stated: versatility in play style. I love mobile ranged classes. I love ranged classes that can get up closed and personal, but get out of dodge in a hurry too. The mobility of the class is the reason I favor builds that are heavy into swiftness and vigor (either procs, traits, or elixirs).

But what I love most is the uniqueness of the class. Every fantasty MMO out there has bow users, magic casters, tanks, melee dps, and assassins/rogues. I have an 80 ranger in addition to my 80 engineer. The ranger is just like every hunter/scout/ranger I’ve played in every other MMO. But how many MMOs have a class that specializes in gadgets, explosives, and gun powder?

in Engineer

Posted by: Tigger.8035

Tigger.8035

Build options

The fact that I can be tanky as hell and still do tons of damage (flamethrower spec)

I can do a kitten load of damage that’s also aoe and long range (Grenade kit)

Provide a Very useful Niche (Perma light combo fields with Elixir Gun, Perma Weakness with Elixir Gun, 1 man vulnerability cap stacking with rifle and utility goggles)

the only things useless about the class are just the effects of bugs which will be fixed (hopefully)

in Engineer

Posted by: Drefanite.6403

Drefanite.6403

Explosions, more EXPLOSIONS! I love grenades in WvW. Nothing better then watching zergs scurry around avoiding my rain of grenades. Bombs are a lot of fun in pve, but I havent found a lot of use in WvW(if i find one though it will be added to my bar) The BoB is awesome! Would really like to see them add TNT. I think it would be cool if we could set a few charges along a cable that we could detonate with one of those T push handles. Make it so you could setup the TNT for instance near the gate do my thing with the grenades once the enemy breaks through run over and hit the T detonator. Maybe the same idea with mines…. Setup a mine field of sorts

in Engineer

Posted by: Nismu.4019

Nismu.4019

fire, explosions , odd mixtures turrets , crazy gadgets, what more you can ask from one class?

in Engineer

Posted by: Bard.7215

Bard.7215

I love the kits, particularaly the Grendade and Elixer gun. Nothing says awesome like spraying worms with toxins.

Sort of like building a sandcastle

in Engineer

Posted by: Csaj.2750

Csaj.2750

I love my engy! I complain everywhere else because I care! The squeeky wheel gets the grease so if we didn’t complain none of the bugs would get fixed. It doesn’t mean we don’t love our engy’s.

I love the wide variety of skills we have and find myself impatiently awaiting combat timers to end so I can switch out skills when changing from Sieges, to mob vs. mob fighting withdrawls, to siege defences, to routing chases. I change skills alot. So much fun to dig into your extensive bag of tricks and say hey I forgot about that! Lets throw it on for a bit and see if it works with this one.

Love turrets, people seem to think they are broken…. I like em already if they get buffed all the better.

I originally chose my engy for the survivability. Love running into a group of 5 people final blowing a downed enemy then running away laughing.

Thanks for making this post. Love the engy love.

in Engineer

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I love the gritty machinery, oil and explosions style they have. Lots and lots of explosions.
I’m actually quite disappointed that they made the cheesy gadgets so prevalent, like the glue shot, taser pistol and crotch-rocket.

in Engineer

Posted by: Autumn.5093

Autumn.5093

I love nothing more than standing back while my party mobs and hucking grenades at that beautiful little mob. Brings a tear of joy to my eye... (I’m built full Grenadier/Firearms... die nightmare sylvari puppies, die! /TAProblems)

Nova Arterius, Nex Level [NeX] Guild Leader
Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: flowcyto.5671

flowcyto.5671

Hmm, lotsa things I enjoy about this class.

I really like the rifle- just in general. Its so entertaining to use. Overcharged shot may be my fave ability in the game for the lol factor. Wish the damage was better and there was more to do at long range than autoattack, but as a ‘shotgun’ its sweet.

I adore the bomb kit so much you’d think I was Rumsfeld, and the bomb heal trait is nice. Carry around a 2nd blast finisher to combo off the fire bomb, elixir C for cond removal and buffing, and aoe things like mad. I dunno how to describe it but its just a fun spec to get in people’s faces w/, even if the dmg and healing isn’t much, it adds up over time.

I like our various gadgets and many of the toolbelt skills- battering peni- I mean ram, rocket boots, charr’s hidden pistols (plural) toolbelt skill, big ole bomb, mine knockback. Also like the med kit in general for all the things it provides (mainly, keeping me up between dodges and heal cds, and for the easy perma-swiftness when running around).

I like the concept of our turrets.. just not having to ‘lug’ them around everywhere.