What gear do I need the most?

in Engineer

Posted by: Swag.5483

Swag.5483

Hey guys, just got my engi to 80 in prep for HoT (was a thf main) and I’m curious what gear sets will I need to be effiecent in all game modes (fractals, WvW, dungeons, raids). I checked meta battle and saw zerker nades was the top of the list but I’ve also heard builds like sinister engi doing well too? Anyways I have laurels to spend on ascended gear and gold to buy exotics but before I do I wanted an idea of what I need? Just zerkers? Maybe a condi set as well? Will big gear changes happen come HoT and scrapper being released? Thanks in advance.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

There are pros and cons to both Berserker and Sinister, but if you’re looking for the top damage those are the two best options.

Beyond the first boss we don’t really know what you’ll want for the raid. What we do know of the Vale Guardian is it needs some condi damage, so Sinister Engis are desired as they are the best condi damage build right now. A tank is helpful for Vale Guardian just to keep him locked onto someone, and a Rabid Engi does that pretty well without really sacrificing much damage.

Being the first and easiest boss I wouldn’t be surprised if your Sinister/Berserker gear gets you killed in later raid wings, but for now those cover pretty much everything PvE.

You can change stats if you really have a change of heart later. I would just go with ascended gear for whichever your play style fits best with.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

Keep in mind Zerkers can only get you far if you are very skilled at reducing the damage you take. If you’re not skilled enough then I suggest mixing some Vitality into your gear for additional survivability.

Other players have surggested Rabid to other players if your going condition damage build.

Scrapper doesn’t change the old builds but open up new builds. However, Scrapper’s Hammer melee nature does require some defense to go with your offense due to being in melee range most of the time thus you’ll take a lot of hits even with damage reducing stuff so taking some Vitality and Toughness helps for Scrapper.

There are pros and cons to both Berserker and Sinister, but if you’re looking for the top damage those are the two best options.

Beyond the first boss we don’t really know what you’ll want for the raid. What we do know of the Vale Guardian is it needs some condi damage, so Sinister Engis are desired as they are the best condi damage build right now. A tank is helpful for Vale Guardian just to keep him locked onto someone, and a Rabid Engi does that pretty well without really sacrificing much damage.

Being the first and easiest boss I wouldn’t be surprised if your Sinister/Berserker gear gets you killed in later raid wings, but for now those cover pretty much everything PvE.

You can change stats if you really have a change of heart later. I would just go with ascended gear for whichever your play style fits best with.

Didn’t Anet mentioned some where that the bosses beyond the Gate Guardian may require some Vitality and Toughness to survive even for DPS focus players? From what they said going full DPS gear in later parts of the raid may be considered suicide.

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

in Engineer

Swag.5483

Is condition engi viable for fractals? Also a scrapper using a hammer what stats does he want to focus on? Power?

in Engineer

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

Is condition engi viable for fractals? Also a scrapper using a hammer what stats does he want to focus on? Power?

Yes scrapper focus on Power due to being Direct damage focused and Hammer has been very useful in melee combat for certain amount of players that have taken advantage of Hammer’s leap happy nature.

in Engineer

Posted by: Pikachu.1829

Pikachu.1829

Sinister Engi for raids, people want Engi just for their unrivaled condi damage. No point use zerker for core Engi when you can just have Herald or Ele for direct damage, Ele still has higher direct damage. My BWE Scrapper is Zerker though.

Also, as long as the timer exists on the raid bosses, I smell huge nerfs on revenants and condi engineers. Those two have some of the highest DPS. When Ele is nerfed, people just move onto other high DPS professions. I don’t think the max DPS meta will go away, especially with the timer mechanics, it just encourages elitists to find the highest damage team comp possible just to complete raids before the timer ends.

(edited by Pikachu.1829)

in Engineer

Swag.5483

Can anyone point me in the direction to a sinister engineer build? For raiding and fractals.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Can anyone point me in the direction to a sinister engineer build? For raiding and fractals.

It’s more like the build only because there’s not much you can change on it. If you change any of the utilities out you lose a lot of damage and it starts to become much worse than a power build. It’s sometimes necessary to change something for a certain fight, but just be aware that your damage will tank.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqalUUhSsYtWwPLQ7FLpFFYJuiHw3GGANw4PmGlBA-ThhHAB5q+zuK/o9BAAwJAoW9AQpEkUAwssC-e

A couple of the traits could be different, but this is the main idea.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Derenek.8931

Derenek.8931

lol, go with knights and build a flamethrower juggernaut.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vdEQFASncTBFpiVXB2aBEqil7iCcBjwAge1j9ZXsg+hcA-ThBEABJ8AAKUJYUK/A4CA0o6PLt/ApAMTZE-e

It’s the DPS king

in Engineer

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

- Bezerker : Will work well everywhere for dungeon and fractals. Probably the best option overall for both.

- Sinister : It have a highest DPS than Bezerker, but not worth it in low level dungeon and will be bad against structure. I prefer this one over zerker in Fractal. Condition will probably be (at least for the first encounter) most important role for an engineer in Raids. Engineer is by far the most superior condition profession right now.

- Rabid : It’s only like 5-10% less dps than sinister. You are now totally useless against structure, but you gain a good survivability that could be necessary in raids. We’ll see about that one.

That would be my 3 main choice for HoT.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Power engi is more flexible than condi in terms of skills you “may” use. Yet since we don’t know anything about the new instabilities, I suggest you simply keep your gold until next week and decide then

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”