What is the point of Engineers?

in Engineer

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Hello,

First let me say I have played engineer since release. I will continue to play him as my alt.

Now lately I’ve been playing a few different classes in sPvP. I found that every class was considerably better than engineers.

Our main damage source seems to be grenades/bombs. I played necromancer and ranger (not even spirits, did a trap ranger) and the conditions and damage I was doing to people was astounding. I’ve never experienced this as a engineer in the meta condition build. I was even survive a lot more in fights.

This got me thinking. Where does engineer fall in fights?

Should we be condition masters? Not really, I think necromancers should take that.
Rangers got that high ranged dps. I just can’t find a area where our class fits.

So what do you guys think the point of engineers is? I know they are versatile. However, after playing the rest of the classes I don’t see how its worth it.

Here is my thoughts on engineers.

Lets look at engineers in other video games. Star conflict, team fortress 2, Firefall, and more. What do engineers in these games do in the most popular aspects. Create “forward” bases. These bases provide utility (such as ammo, shields, hp, etc) and map control (through teleporters, warp gates, etc). So far we can’t do any of this. Our turrets apply very little to no utility to ourselves or our party. They get decimated by one player in a few attacks, heck even NPCs.

Engineers can also hack stuff. Engineer can’t really do any hacking in this game. How could you implement this? Taking over summons could be a cool thing. Take over pets,minions, and summons for X amount of time.

Finally engineers have a lot of CC. Why not take advantage this? Have the position of an engineer affect the battle. Like scope. 600m or more away? Get this Buff. 300m or closer? Get this buff. Things like that.

Just my thoughts on the engineer. Right now I just don’t see how they fit in this game. Especially with the recent balance patch.

in Engineer

Posted by: elithrar.7143

elithrar.7143

There doesn’t have to be just “one” class for each (subjective; arbitrary) damage category.

Engineers bring CC, control, conditions and sustain to groups. They still rate highly in the sPvP meta.

[TKG] Mollify

in Engineer

Deified.7520

There doesn’t have to be just “one” class for each (subjective; arbitrary) damage category.

Engineers bring CC, control, conditions and sustain to groups. They still rate highly in the sPvP meta.

Maybe, but I would like the engineer to feel a little more unique. So far we just have AoE condition applications. So does necromancer, ranger with traps, etc.

I mean when I played my trap ranger, with all the cripples, immobilize, knockback, and a stealth on a pretty low CD, and then my healing spring I was doing just as well as an engineer, if not better. The spirits from what I see apply a similar sort of utility, CC, and control as them.

in Engineer

Posted by: NinjaSonic.1392

NinjaSonic.1392

Have you tried tank engie in spvp? I am an abysmal guardian but I can 1v2 maybe 1v3 a point as an engie.

[DIS] Dissentient – Streetlamp Lé Moose (Best Ranger North Korea)

in Engineer

Deified.7520

Have you tried tank engie in spvp? I am an abysmal guardian but I can 1v2 maybe 1v3 a point as an engie.

Depends on the build. I run the build that teldoo uses, so if you consider that tanking then yes I have tried it.

I’m not sure what it is, but it doesn’t feel as…satisfying to use a bunch of AoEs to do your damage. I just feel like I’m spamming and watching it looks like its just spamming. I know it is not, but it feels that way.

I mean I 2v1’d one quite a lot with my ranger, even more so when I played a mesmer. Depending on the class, I could easily do it on my necromancer too.

in Engineer

Posted by: magical giant.8650

magical giant.8650

Alright fristly I know what you are talking about we don’t have specific role to play since we are pretty much something of everything. When I tried to figure out what to go for after discovering that our turrets (Turrets was the reason I wanted to play engineer to begin with) are alittle, hmmmmm LESS usable than I expected I tried going into specific trait tree’s like all out explosives, all out firearms but I never felt that anything was worth it, except alchemy which is the only utilities I really dislike about the engineer (want that mecha style of play). So now I’v been playing engineer for my whole gw2 career and guess what I find everytime I tried to reroll something else? I always come back to my engineer, heck I even got two engineers on my account. Engineer in my opinion should be played as a mad man. I play with Rifle, tool kit, bomb kit, tumper turret and mortar or charzooka, here is what I bring to the fight, I can pull and knock enemy targets stright into my group of allies to feast on, if someone is in trouble I can stealth them, on the run I’ll slow my groups presuers with “box of nails”, in time of despair when noone really now if we should attack or run away I can “jumpshot” stright into the enemy line and lay destruction with my bombs. Don’t underrestimate the power of red circles, people with break group formation if not SUUUPER coordinated

So what is the engineers role? we bring the chaos and if our plans fail we got plenty of tools to run away and even help our allies run away, we arnt a soldier class nor a adventure class we are something else and I don’t know what it is

“Existing Isn’t A Crime!” Franky – One Piece

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

I think before the mashup the engineer was ment to use knockbacks and immobilize combined with our turrets acting as “living dots”.
Maybe thats just wishful thinking on my part because thats how I want to play my engi… sigh, one day.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

Engineers seem to be aimed at being a versatile high-skill PvP class.

in Engineer

Deified.7520

I think before the mashup the engineer was ment to use knockbacks and immobilize combined with our turrets acting as “living dots”.
Maybe thats just wishful thinking on my part because thats how I want to play my engi… sigh, one day.

if that were true, I’d be so happy.

@zenguy The question here is if the meta needs a high versitle class. Don’t get me wrong, its cool having a high skill class. However, the meta should support the class that requires the high skill. I mean nothing in this meta really shows that we are needed. Sure we can be versitle, but every other class can do. Guardians can dish out some decent dps, tank pretty good, and have some great support capabilities. Mesmers have some great teamfight skills and some great dps. Thief has some really good condi cleansing and healing with stealths and can dish out some wicked dps. Rangers just auto attack and do tons of damage, supply amazing support with spirits, and are pretty tanky too. You see my point? We are the glorified versatile class, but as the meta stands and has stood since release, we aren’t need since most of the other classes have a pretty good amount of versatility.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dolt.2731

Dolt.2731

I have played traps ranger for a long time before switching back to engi. My engi crushes traps on condi dmg/ upkeep. I can top out at 1650 condi dmg with corruption stacks. No, I don’t might build, I also have great survivability via blocks, boots, snares, knockbacks, insta blind, perma-vigor, etc and still have almost as much toughness.

Only class I struggle with is a very well played skullcrack/ 100b war or a boon-hate necro (which aren’t really currently around)

That being said playing other classes is very easy… but the ceiling for success is much lower.

Engi’s for life… or until a better game comes out

Ebenezer Smee, Ranger SBI

in Engineer

Posted by: Tutankhamun.3679

Tutankhamun.3679

Engineer is the prob the only class that has an answer for everything they encounter. I find that most classes lack in one thing or another while an engineer pretty much no matter how you build (unless you do do some off the wall kitten) brings the tools to deal with anything. Very efficient and proficient.

in Engineer

Posted by: Leap Of Faith.8263

Leap Of Faith.8263

I love playing my engineer right now because the can adapt to almost any situation, more like jack of all trades. But i do wonder what the point of an engineer really is..

These are very very basic role of other professions (which can be change to do other roles too, not denying that eg. Necro can tank, mesmer can range dps etc.)
Warrior > they can get in enemy group and create chaos and break formation and knockdown (soldiers)
Guardian > Buff, sustain and tank
Mesmer > Create insane confusion in a fight
Necro > Conditions (need no say more)
Thief > finish off enemy with low health or who have strayed too far from the group
Ranger > Ranged DPS
Engineer > we can do all of the above but not as good as they can do. Being versatile is good but that is not the point, even elementalist are versatile, what do really engineer and elementalist bring to the table.
do like Deified idea of creating a base ahead and pushing forward with our gadgets and turrets or something to do with turrets because they make engineer class unique ( but they are pathetic, almost unusable except healing turret).

~My Love Sunshine, Guardian [Jade Quarry]

in Engineer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Maybe, but I would like the engineer to feel a little more unique. So far we just have AoE condition applications. So does necromancer, ranger with traps, etc.

I mean when I played my trap ranger, with all the cripples, immobilize, knockback, and a stealth on a pretty low CD, and then my healing spring I was doing just as well as an engineer, if not better. The spirits from what I see apply a similar sort of utility, CC, and control as them.

But how are they unique, then? Necromancers in condition-spec aren’t necessarily all that much more damaging than other classes in condition setups, either.

We stand out for the type of skills we use. My engineer has a lot of abilities at her disposal, credit to the doubled utility slots and kits. That’s what makes her unique.
My Mesmer creates clones, and all too often people waste skills on them. That’s what makes her unique.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

In sPVP: At the moment Engineer with pistol/shield bombs/FT is able to decap very fast. This is our role at the moment.

in Engineer

Posted by: Leap Of Faith.8263

Leap Of Faith.8263

@Lupanic: nice, that does sound like controlling an area mixed with other stuff.
I would really like to know what was the Developer(s) intention at the grass root level when they made this class.
And on the official engineer page it is mentioned that turrets are used as controlling an area ( though turrets are stupid), has anyone come across a build with turrets in which an engineer can be like " this 600 or 900 ranged area is mine, get the f out of it". More like a territorial or environment dependent brawler.

~My Love Sunshine, Guardian [Jade Quarry]