What is this?

What is this?

in Engineer

Posted by: Popcornpasta.7605

Popcornpasta.7605

I fought a couple of Engineers today in WvW, and I would down them and they would just get back up as if they had rallied. Problem is, there was nothing around to rally off of.

I’ve played Engi and have no clue what they were doing or how I could stop it.

What is this?

in Engineer

Posted by: Berengar.6951

Berengar.6951

They probably threw Elixir R at their feet, it gives a pulsing field that rezzes downed people (but it has a long cooldown, 2 minutes or so)

Engineer, Thief, Mesmer, Elementalist, Guardian,Warrior, Necro
[KoM] Krewe of Misfits
[IB]Inglorious Basterdz

What is this?

in Engineer

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Toss_Elixir_R
or maybe there was an elite ranger spirit nearby.
or they rallied off of someone who died far away.

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

What is this?

in Engineer

Posted by: Popcornpasta.7605

Popcornpasta.7605

Ah, I didn’t even think about elixir R. I would imagine that’s what it had to be since they could only do it once (given its cooldown).

What is this?

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

You should be able to notice toss elixir R on the floor. It makes an AoE ring and there’s a little symbol above it, similar to the one over a downed player’s head, or like the healing power icon in the stat screen. There’s also a distinctive sound effect it makes when they throw it down.

If you notice it, there’s a few things you can do to deal with it:

The easiest thing to do involves quickness. If you’re able to give yourself quickness, down them in the field and then perform a quickness stomp on them immediately. You should be able to get it off before the engineer CC’s you with their downed ability, and the revive pulses shouldn’t get them up fast enough (unless they used a double elixir R toss with the tools trait, but that’s not very common).

The next thing you can try is to delay putting them in downed state. They’ll usually need the elixir to pulse at least two times in order for it to revive them, so if you can manage to wait 6-10 seconds before downing them, it will prevent elixir R from reviving them. Often times engineers will stand in the elixir R field when they use it, so it’s not likely that they’ll just start running away and risk dying outside the elixir R field. However, this may mean that their heal skill or other defensive abilities are able to come off cooldown, and you’ll have to work them down again. If you do work them down again though, they won’t have another elixir R to toss (unless it takes a really, really long time to do so).

Another alternative is to just down them and then try to DPS them. If you are able to do more damage than the elixir R heals, it will eventually expire and you can stomp them or just keep DPSing them like you would a normal downed enemy. Poison is very helpful for this because it will diminish the rate at which elixir R revives them. This option can be risky however because the elixir R fields will give them 20% of their downed health every 2 seconds, so you need to do a lot of DPS. This means you will likely have to do more than simply auto attack them (i.e. use hundred blades or perform cloak and dagger-backstab combos). If you have a group with you, it should be much easier to do enough DPS to beat the heal since you can all attack the downed engineer.

The other alternative is to knock them out of the field. If they are about to go down in the elixir R field and you have an ability that can push, pull, or launch them, you can try to hit them out of the elixir R field and then down them. That way, it will not be able to help them.

You can also do a similar thing by first downing them in the field, and then using a launch ability to knock them out of the field. Note that you can only moved a downed player by using a launch though, pulls or knockbacks won’t move them. Also make sure you don’t use it too quickly because players are invulnerable for about 1 second the moment they go down, so popping out your launch too quickly could cause it to have no effect.

In the worst case, just let it revive them and plan to down them again. You can take a few seconds to recover yourself or maybe reposition yourself while the engineer is being revived by the elixir field.