What to do about Warriors in WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Linc.6834

Linc.6834

I’m talking about the ones with melandru or hoelbrak runes and lemongrass. I can’t get any conditions to stick even with 70% duration bonus and they out heal anything I can dish out.

I’ve tried almost everything, I could melt down 3-4 other ppl and they’ll sit there downed while the warr in there group is still 100% hp. And that’s only if I’m lucky enough to avoid all the earthshaking going on.

I guess my question is it worth going to 100% condition duration bonus? How do the duration bonuses work? His -40 cancels my +40 food? And his -25 from runes cancels 25 of my explosive points? Leaving me basically base duration conditions?

in Engineer

Posted by: Fast Asleep.8475

Fast Asleep.8475

Dont expect to be able to kill every build with your own one. It will never work and this is just one example.

Gunnars Hold [Chvc]

in Engineer

Posted by: Kontrolle.3514

Kontrolle.3514

This game is balanced about 1v1 its NOT balanced around group compositions. Even if you would be right, what of course, you arent a condition spec engineer should be (and is able to) to kill a power-warrior.

Warriors are just broken atm and everybody know this, thats why every 2nd character is one. Most of them just bad and fail even with the most broken class in gw2 history but the ones that are good are unkillable all you can do is to get an stalemate.

edit: my warrior is full ascended and replaced my engineer for smallscale roaming.

(edited by Moderator)

in Engineer

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

I guess my question is it worth going to 100% condition duration bonus? How do the duration bonuses work? His -40 cancels my +40 food? And his -25 from runes cancels 25 of my explosive points? Leaving me basically base duration conditions?

Exactly. But there’s an additional -33% for movement imparing effects when the warrior uses the trait Dogged March (10 points in defense). So at the end you will have baseline condition duration for bleeds, burning, blind and -33% for cripple, immob, chill.

in Engineer

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

spam more conditions

in guild wars 2, the more conditions you spam, the better you are at the game

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Linc.6834

Linc.6834

Dont expect to be able to kill every build with your own one. It will never work and this is just one example.

I do realize he is built as a direct counter to me, so how do I build to counter him? I’ve been using protection injection + stabilized armor+ saffron bread to get -70% damage reduction while stunned, then tank through the stun while hes in my fire bomb field, and guess who ends up taking more damage? Me, and this is with 20+ stacks of might ~2200 condi dmg.

spam more conditions

awesome thanks for that gem, ill keep that in mind the next time I’m getting hammered to peices

in Engineer

Posted by: Myrix.6347

Myrix.6347

I do realize he is built as a direct counter to me, so how do I build to counter him? I’ve been using protection injection + stabilized armor+ saffron bread to get -70% damage reduction while stunned, then tank through the stun while hes in my fire bomb field, and guess who ends up taking more damage? Me, and this is with 20+ stacks of might ~2200 condi dmg.

spam more conditions

awesome thanks for that gem, ill keep that in mind the next time I’m getting hammered to peices

I’m guessing you’re being sarcastic to Writetypers response, but it’s what I do against those warriors! If it’s 1v1 without anyone getting in the way I just keep applying pressure, even at base duration our poison grenades last a ridiculously long time if they stupidly decide to stay in them. That’ll take care of his healing, then just keep applying pressure, bomb kit and grenade kit are great for kiting melee-ers.

Eventually I’ll whittle their hp down (slowly) and they’ll either die or run away. If you can get in the groove of their attacks it becomes easier to dodge them; they tend to use predictable combos and the profession falls under one of the puny classes that has a CD on weapon swap. Practice helps!

Also, if you have bomb kit and grenade kit make sure you go as defensive as possible with everything else. This means p/s and the final utility being something utilititable. I use tool kit for the long block and nails.

Lastly, spamming your slows and blinds, even if they don’t last long, will ruin his rhythm and make it easier to kite/predict him.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

What do you want us to tell you? You already admitted he is built as your direct counter. Yet you keep pressing it as if we should be capable of offering you some magic tactic or some secret formula. If i need to put that much effort into killing one player, I just leave. if you are going to beat someone whose build, you feel counters yours so well, then you will have to make up the handicap with skill and play.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

He’s a hammer warrior as usual and his only condi block is zerk stance as usual. If he prematurely pops zerk stance, kite him while keeping pressure. If he doesn’t then well he will eat condis. His hammer skills have the easiest tells ever so dodging it is a cake walk. With that perma vigor uptime prepatch you have no problem. Then when zerk stance is down (7 seconds total or 10 with trait) apply the full pressure. Blinds and poison are key, keep a blind field up and stand in it while he’s hammering and always pistol 2 and nade 5 for that poison. This severely counters that healing signet. Burning as usual will do its thing in the background and sooner or later he will hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. Or run, they love to do this as well.

Säïnt

in Engineer

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

Hammer warriors clear 3 conditions when landing Earthshaker on you due to cleansing ire trait. But the animation is very obvious and easily dodgable. Earthshaker only removes conditions when it actually hit something. So to keep your conditions up you have to avoid those burst skills.

At the end engineers have all the tools available to beat warriors. Plenty of cripple/ chill to kite, perma vigor to avoid burst skills and therefor condition cleansing, plenty of blinds to hard-counter hammer skills, plenty of poison to counter healing signet.

in Engineer

Posted by: Singer.8740

Singer.8740

the reduction is applied after all your modifiers are applied.

so your duration final total is then effected by his reductions. no cancelling is applied.
example;
burn (5 secs)+ 70% condi duration =3.5
5 +3.5 = 8.5 total.

8.5 – 65% = 3

so the burn that was originally 5 seconds lasts only 3 seconds.

as you can see this causes more trouble for duration based conditions such as burn poison, chill, cripple etc than condi damage conditions such as bleed, confusion, torment (all though they are still effected somewhat.)

EDIT; basically you will have trouble trying to kill the warrior but he should have trouble dealing with you if you kite him effectively. Pure condition builds will ofcourse have troube with builds like this which is why I suggest you build hybrid. I use a bomb nade tanky control build and I stack might to get 3200 attack and 3k condi damage. I also take 53% reduced damage when disabled its a very good build for dealing with most situations.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcQQJAqel0pSX3zSiF17ISoC2noH6Hl5YfeIXPIEC-j0CB4iCh0CIk0gkIAZSFRjtKsIasKZER1KlYGcZ1uDwgWRWKAImGB-w

I recently swapped my tuning crystals out for potions of karka toughness, they are very good.

Etheeria (The mad bomber). If you don’t have shellshock your not doing it right.

(edited by Singer.8740)

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Yeah, it’s definitely worth it to stack Condition Duration over Condition Damage, even if people try to prevent it with runes/food.

When roaming I run Celestial + Traveler (10%) with Koi Cake (40%), Givers weapons (10% each for total of 20%), and 30 Explosives (30%) for a total of +100% Condition Duration. Could just be mental, but I feel like I kill stuff significantly better than when I went with Condition Damage runes. For some context: I generally run Bomb Kit and Tool Kit.

Warriors aren’t much a problem for me, but I also build a little into Inventions that a lot of people don’t do, which really helps against stunlock builds.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in Engineer

Posted by: Toad.8043

Toad.8043

The problem is not warriors, or lemongrass, or melandru’s.

I play necro, eng, and guard in wvw, on Tarnished Coast. Sometimes I respec back into condition damage on the necro and the eng.

Given that I can have rare pizza, and +30% duration from runes/sigil, and +30% from traits, and +10% from toxic tuning crystal… lemongrass and melandru don’t even keep up with my own +duration for the damaging conditions. The CC conditions are more noticeably affected, but not unreasonably.

The real problem is the number of group condition clears or condition conversions. It’s easiest to see using a necro and Mark of Blood (especially with the increased radius). It is very common for my 3 stacks of bleed to tick perhaps 3 times per target before it’s cleansed. It’s not uncommon to see it tick only once. That’s with my theoretical 16 seconds of bleeding per application. I ran into a guild group of 10 SoS players that were consistently cleansing before the bleeds ticked once or twice. They sustained the group cleanses, every 2 or 3 seconds, for the entire duration of a 20 second fight.

in Engineer

Posted by: Fast Asleep.8475

Fast Asleep.8475

Well if 2.2k condition dmg is what you have in a fight you clearly have much room for improvement. If you sit on 3k + you will at least be able to kill players with a lower skill lvl than your own. It wont change the outcome against a really good player but i already stated that you cant expect anything else against a direct counter to condition builds.
If you are running with 25 corruption stacks and sigil of burst you can reach insane condition dmg.

Gunnars Hold [Chvc]

in Engineer

Posted by: Unhinged Carrot.3849

Unhinged Carrot.3849

I usually run Bomb Kit, Toolkit, and Elixir Gun. You have blinds from pistol and bomb kit, interrupt/knockback from shield, block from shield, block from Toolkit, cripple/immobalise from Bomb Kit, cripple from Toolkit, ranged cripple from Elixir Gun, leap back from Elixir Gun, and permanent vigor and swiftness. Couple all this with the hammers slow attack speed and heavily telegraphed attacks (especially the burst stun) and it becomes laughably easy to avoid most of their damage and stuns, and keep your distance. If they do manage to stun you, you have a stunbreak from Elixir Gun toolbelt skill. Using elixir gun heal, medkit heal and F1 heal, blasts on water fields, and backpack regenerator, you’ll give them a really hard time out-damaging your healing whilst you’re negating all their efforts to hit you. Admittedly killing them isn’t usually easy given the high health pools and healing/condition removal they have. Don’t let them hit you and keep the pressure up on them, poison from pistol and elixir gun helps to keep their health from replenishing. Eventually your burning and confusion will wither them down and they’ll either die or just run away (this is what usually happens). Hammer warriors usually only cause me bother in 1vX fights when it’s harder to devote all defenses to preventing their attacks. Sooner or later they’ll proably catch you with a stun and then you’ll suffer for it.

Zobb – Asura Engineer – Seafarer’s Rest

in Engineer

Posted by: amiable.4823

amiable.4823

I am an average player at best, I switched to a warrior for WvW and the difference in gameplay is literally night and day. I run a variation of the standard melandru/lemongrass defensive shout warrior (GS-S/sh) with a mix of celstial and clerics. I’m very hard to take down. I have been fighting roaming engy’s and feel bad because I remember how disheartening it was to fight sustain warriors and outplay them on every level but be unable to bring them under 75% health. Literally this morning I had a 4-5 minute fight with an SoR engy who played his kitten heart out but was totally unable to bring me less to less than 75% health.

In my past 4 weeks of roaming on my warrior I have been beaten by an engineer once. An SoR engy in a green outfit/gas mask (I think he has some videos out but I can’t remember his name for the life of me). He just flat out outplayed me on every level and it still took him a minute or two to bring me down, he totally desroyed me though, mad props to this guy because he was awesome.

How he did it: He was running nades/EG/rocket boots. HEAVY condition damage and duration, probably at least 70-100% duration with 2.5k condition damage. he was fastidious about applying poisons to me to make sure my sustain was impaired (rotated pistol 2, fumigate and poison nades). He was great at kiting and keeping distance.

Summary: stack 2.5k+ condition damage and 70-100% duration, keep poison up. Dodge specials that allow condition cleanse.

Seriously though, if it takes that level of play to take down a scrub like me playing a warrior there is some serious game imbalance.

Aliquot Love – Engineer
Gable Thorn – Elementalist
Shining in Darkness – Warrior – Mag

in Engineer

Posted by: Kurieg.4158

Kurieg.4158

Someone posted an incorrect explanation of how +Duration and -Duration works. The only testing I’ve seen posted clearly demonstrates that +Duration and -Duration are added together, and the final modifier is used to determine condition duration. For example, if I have +70% and the Warrior has -70%, the bonuses cancel and the duration lasts the normal base duration.

Testing was here – https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Condition-duration-vs-Condition-duration/first

Crafty [CR]
Yak’s Bend
Ir Regardless – Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

I am an average player at best, I switched to a warrior for WvW and the difference in gameplay is literally night and day. I run a variation of the standard melandru/lemongrass defensive shout warrior (GS-S/sh) with a mix of celstial and clerics. I’m very hard to take down. I have been fighting roaming engy’s and feel bad because I remember how disheartening it was to fight sustain warriors and outplay them on every level but be unable to bring them under 75% health. Literally this morning I had a 4-5 minute fight with an SoR engy who played his kitten heart out but was totally unable to bring me less to less than 75% health.

In my past 4 weeks of roaming on my warrior I have been beaten by an engineer once. An SoR engy in a green outfit/gas mask (I think he has some videos out but I can’t remember his name for the life of me). He just flat out outplayed me on every level and it still took him a minute or two to bring me down, he totally desroyed me though, mad props to this guy because he was awesome.

How he did it: He was running nades/EG/rocket boots. HEAVY condition damage and duration, probably at least 70-100% duration with 2.5k condition damage. he was fastidious about applying poisons to me to make sure my sustain was impaired (rotated pistol 2, fumigate and poison nades). He was great at kiting and keeping distance.

Summary: stack 2.5k+ condition damage and 70-100% duration, keep poison up. Dodge specials that allow condition cleanse.

Seriously though, if it takes that level of play to take down a scrub like me playing a warrior there is some serious game imbalance.

Do you remember if they had an [EG] tag? Might’ve been me, haha. I slotted the gas mask on my Celestial gear, and I run with both the green SAB pistol and shield as my Giver’s (some reason can’t choose Giver’s on my legendary, so next best option).

Could just be coincidence, though. There are a lot of good Engineers on SoR I’ve had the pleasure of playing with.

I think the mistake a lot of players make constructing their Engineers is that they take bad traits. Warrior is no doubt a much easier class to play, but I think it’s important to accept the fact that stunlock builds are popular and build around that appropriately when roaming. Take Protection Injection over Invigorating Speed, and drop 10 Firearms out of your build and take Stabilized Armor instead.

53% damage reduction while stunned has saved my life too many times to count.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in Engineer

Posted by: amiable.4823

amiable.4823

This mornings fight may have been EG!

It wasn’t EG for the one who beat me though, it was a two letter guild tag with the first letter being lowercase however (mZ?). I run a celestial conditions Engy build very similar to the one I fought against and I know I do not put out that much condition pressure so this person must have been running very high condi damage.

Aliquot Love – Engineer
Gable Thorn – Elementalist
Shining in Darkness – Warrior – Mag

in Engineer

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

I have no issues fighting hammer warriors with my engi and I have dueled many. The KEY is to keep them poisoned and avoid their condition removal hammer stun. If you dodge this every time or blind it, they will not be able to clear their conditions unless they have other utilities. My poison grenade stacks over a minute of poison on them. If they have melandru and all the foods it’s still a really long poison. This destroys their regen.

It’s an easy fight in a 1v1. In a group, just ignore the warrior and kill all his buddies and save him for last while dodging all his obvious hits. If it’s a group of hammer warriors then just run because you won’t win that.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dasboba.1652

Dasboba.1652

My tactic against them is bomb4 + shield 4 + rocketboots. That combo gives me stealth to get away and find someone else to fight. If you’re the scissors, there’s no reason to fight the rock. Instead, go find the paper. ;D