What you hate in your Engineer?

in Engineer

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

Whell, i must admit its a strange topic, but its a part of forums, to provide supportive feedback. Even this helps the Devs and others to improve the game.

My list would be :

1,Hate shields
2,I miss a more ranged kit or rifle skillset ( keeping the old one to adding another somehow)
3,A lot of medium armors look way crappy or non fitting to Engineer. ( Heavy are totally mind blowing without expections)
4,Cant change the look of Kit’s weapons
5, Cant change the look of turrets ( adding another barrel to rifle turret would look like tarantula turret in Dawn of war)
6, No Golem or Mechanic companion summons.
7,To few weapons that can be equipped without kits. Looking at the list in pvp locker, there are SO many awesome looking weapons, and all the other classes can show of ( and use them most importantly) I seriously think if i reroll this will be the reson. I want awesome looking weapons to, not only 3.
8,Traits are a bit confusing, needs sorting, things that are undirect benefit.

Whell thats all for me for now. I dont think its a long list, but for me they are hardcore a problem. Still the class is fun, more so in pvp.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lyuben.2613

Lyuben.2613

Turrets are crap
Kits need design changes
Non grenade builds need to be viable for damage
Flamethrower needs to be redesigned to do a lot more damage, and have more cohesive and responsive skills
More traits need to be devoted to gadgets and toolbelts in general
Some traits need to be unified, mainly in the firearms traitline
RNG needs to be toned down

Vibor Bauman- Level 80 Engineer- Gandara

in Engineer

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

Basicly everything lyuben said. Though i’d totally take the companions/golem and unique turret looks.

in Engineer

Posted by: Thamyris.3570

Thamyris.3570

So had a minute to think about it,

1. Turrets suck at the moment.

2. No long ranged weapon apart from grenades. (Don’t like ground targeting)

3. Back packs, should be able to turn them off.

4. Elixers are too random, in competitive play this stops being fun starts being annoying.

5. Grenades are too powerful, everything else is too weak. (Intra-class balance is rubbish)

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

Just off the top of my head…

1. I hate how even tho im an Engineer I brew potions like an alchemist.
2. I hate how even tho im an Engineer I have access to standard military items such as grenades, mines, a mortar, and medical supplies.
3. I hate how most of the utility skills are not even engineer related.
4. I hate that the few gadgets the Engineer does have where designed by Data from The Goonies.
5. (grouped) I hate how slow turrets fire, how low hp/defense they have, now little the cooldown reduction is for picking them up, and how they don’t scale with your stats.
6. I hate how the rifles dont know if it wants to be a shotgun or a rifle.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vigilence.4902

Vigilence.4902

Nekroseth pretty much nailed it with what I hate about the engineer.

Although everything Coglin posted was just useless his 3. They will not put near the effort to fix all the broken traits. hits it on the head.

I also agree with Thamyris 1-4 as well as Xelnigmas 5-6.

The engineer is a fun class, I just find it frustrating when I have issues with the same problems these guys do.

I’m not sure what Anet plans on doing with the Engineer, but they can start by fixing all their bugs and adjusting their damage, which is on the low side.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kithzyan.5034

Kithzyan.5034

Top 5 hates I guess:

1. The bugs (getting better though).
2. The RSI inducing #1 on Grenade kit.
3. Turrets not being any use even with traits.
4. Personal dislike of our Elite choices (they are fairly dull and unless I need supply drop, I use my racials for something interesting even if weaker).
5. Toolkit not being very good as our only melee, i’d love if the damage was upped a little and for the #1 skill to hit 3 targets like a lot of the other melee weapons do across the game.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zandur.5012

Zandur.5012

1.) Mortar is the worst elite skill in the game
2.) Mortar is the worst elite skill in the game
3.) Wish I had a golem suit like the asura elite skill, or at least a summonable robotic themed companion.
4.) Kits don’t scale with weapon power or proc weapon sigils
5.) Turrets plagued with bugs

(edited by Zandur.5012)

in Engineer

Posted by: GonzoNeo.4965

GonzoNeo.4965

I love the engineer but there are many things that i would change.

1.- Rifle skills with very short range when the warriors ones are long range, and hip shoting with all skills, i would like a aim position with the legendary rifle, its a shame, a rifle redesing is needed, pistol and shield are fin to me.

I remember the article words in the engineer spotlight about dont stay close to enemies, but now almost our weapons/kits are mid-short range.

2.- No auto-target/attack with granades, my Naga button 1 its gonna explode.

3.- A lot of traits dont work with kits or “lie” in the description, Elixir Gun dont work with elixir traits, many traits dont work with tool skill versions,explosion traits ( vulnerability or 10% damage ) only work with bomb, granade and mines, and no with other explosion skills like Flame Blast, Explosive Shot, Rocket Turret ( charged or not ) and many more…..

4.- The lack of sigils and weapons stat in Kits, this would be my priority change if would arena.net developer.

5.- Flametrhower Smoke Vent, plain and boring and dont too good with 20 sec CD, i miss the old one.

6.- Turrets are too weak and have too much CD, in PVE and dynamic events where we are moving a lot are almost usseles, only in DE where we have to defend somethhing are fine but not great. In dungeons are 1 hit shot, dont matter if they are traited with 30% reduce damage, and in PVP , WvWvW they are usseles.

7.- I know that we have kits and Tool kit but a melee weapon like Hammer would be great,

8.- Toolkit is really bad right now, the turret heal is really low and the lack of resitance of these dont help, and the damage in PVE is not great, if you put full critic is meh if you look warriors, guardians, thiefs, GS rangers etc…, andthe risk of wear dont compensate the damage.

9.- Elixir are too random, i know that Jon Peters like this but is not fun, is not competitive, is not excite have the elexiri effect that you want each 1/3 times, and with the toss version is worse, when i toss a elixir H to protect my team with Regeneratin/protection they gain endurance, when i want put a barrier with elixir S they gain stealth , etc…. and this with all elixirs.

Sorry Jon but i dont care that you like the randomness, when almost all engineer players dont like it and furthemor is not useful , the feel of throw a elixir only have the effect that you want 1/3 times, and wait for a long CD again is awful and boring, not exciting, is better go back and dont continue defending this .

10.-Belt skills have too much CD or are weak, kits belt skill are fine like bomb, granade, or Super Elixir but the rest are meh, and toss elixir will need a improve, if normal elixir are too random, toss version are awful, long CDs and they do that you want only 1/3 of times.

11.- Elites need a improving, Supply Crate is fine, Mortar is only useful in WvWvW , and Elixir X is a lazy skill, have a random elite skill of other class is not my idea of a great elite when we have only 3 for each class, Tornado skill at least is fun but Rampage dont fit with engineer, make Elixir X a good and unique Elite.

(edited by GonzoNeo.4965)

in Engineer

Posted by: achmed.6542

achmed.6542

nothing, its a perfect class! no realy it is … i think … ok its not … .

• lack of viable DD builds.
  • randomization of thrown elixirs
  • flamethrower has awefull low dd and feels useless especialy after the stability and backdraft nerf. also … the burn feels awefull for an flamethrower
  • toolkit is to slow, realy needs a casttime improval
  • elexir gun #1 debuff to short, #4 should add snare or get radius increased.
  • turrets in general.
  • mortar has way to low range
  • gadgets in general feel useless for me.
  • some traits are just plain useless (tools-> drop bandanages and a gun when downed, invention: drop grenades when fall damage f.e.)
  • loosing weapon stats
  • tanking+healing build seem contra productive in dungeons. but thats probably a general problem.

(edited by achmed.6542)

in Engineer

Posted by: Gurpsmeister.9068

Gurpsmeister.9068

There’s a handful of issues with the Engineer. however I’d be patient and okay with all of them IF

The numbers on my weapons applied to my kits or if I had some way of actually improving my kits and customizing them beyond the standard stat pool they already give. Wouldn’t hurt to have some visual change options here either.

in Engineer

Zinwrath.2049

Actually, just remembered something thanks to last comment.

I hate that kits hide my weapon i spent hours upon hours to earn. Engineer “in a cosmetic driven game” has the least cosmetic options of any profession. We only get 3 weapons to customize and if we build around kits or heavily on one kit we will almost never see those weapons. Also would like to see the ability to obtain different turret or kit skins as an asura engineer’s creations should look a lot different than a chars giving their technological background.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

The fact that the engineer is the ultimate ‘Jack of all trades’ but that gets you nowhere in spvp…

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Zinwrath.2049

Hey man, i tear up in spvp every game (feel free to friend me in game if you need proofz). Generally top score on normal matchs and do incredibly well in tournys. I dont think engineers are weak…i think the builds that work are just not what anyone wants to do with their engineer. So…ya its not a jack of all trades its a jack of “these couple things work always do them everything else sucks horribly” You could argue other professions suffer this too though…see necromancer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Hey man, i tear up in spvp every game (feel free to friend me in game if you need proofz). Generally top score on normal matchs and do incredibly well in tournys. I dont think engineers are weak…i think the builds that work are just not what anyone wants to do with their engineer. So…ya its not a jack of all trades its a jack of “these couple things work always do them everything else sucks horribly” You could argue other professions suffer this too though…see necromancer.

Don’t need proof, I’m actually happy you do well

I made a different topic about this very issue, feel free to explain your build there (would go of topic if we continued that bit here)

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

What I hate most is the broken traits and skills. Such as having the shield trait, yet throw shield is bugged and does not get the reduced cool down.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Thenoob.1480

Thenoob.1480

Numbers being backwards.
Blunderbuss(100) and bombs(120) have less range than melee(130).
Among other issues.

Fun Police – Sea of Sorrows

in Engineer

Posted by: Mighty Favazz.1546

Mighty Favazz.1546

It’s the only class I can bring myself to play, so take this with a grain of salt.

I think my main gripe is the amount of ‘gotchas’ or caveats in the builds.
Flamthower #2 – do damage but only maximize at a certain range.
Rocket boots – Break immobilize but fall down.
Rifle #4 – launch enemy but fall down.
Grenades work differently in water.
Elixer U – Gain swiftness, self inflict something
I’m sure there are others.
Just seems it’s more difficult to play well than it should be.
RNG
Supply Crate is the outshines all other elites. By a wide margin.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

I don’t like Turrets and I think Gadgets need just a little something extra, maybe a trait that removes boons from people who get hit by their effects. I don’t know, just make them as enticing as an Elixir.

Other than that, it’s common problem that everyone agrees on. Kits not being high enough damage, no sigils, lack of “real” weapons, ect.

in Engineer

Lyuben.2613

It’s the only class I can bring myself to play, so take this with a grain of salt.

I think my main gripe is the amount of ‘gotchas’ or caveats in the builds.
Flamthower #2 – do damage but only maximize at a certain range.
Rocket boots – Break immobilize but fall down.
Rifle #4 – launch enemy but fall down.
Grenades work differently in water.
Elixer U – Gain swiftness, self inflict something
I’m sure there are others.
Just seems it’s more difficult to play well than it should be.
RNG
Supply Crate is the outshines all other elites. By a wide margin.

Don’t forget about Elixir U-

It is 5s if that something is frenzy, 4s if that something is haste, 4s if that something is quickening zephyr.

You don’t even have the luxury of duration being consistent.

in Engineer

Zinwrath.2049

I think everyone expected/wants cooler and more useful turrets-gadgets because its what you expect from an engineer. i think there should be more traits around the gadgets personally they seem neglected. Turrets are such a mess of problems, im assuming they are working on ideas around them. What they come up with i’m eager to see.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I hate how kits are getting all the dev attention, even when it comes to bugfixing.

I also dislike Elixirs, because they’re almost all bound by trade-offs and randomness – you can’t even party heal consistently with them, except for Elixir R – and what isn’t bound by trade-offs and randomness seems to be bound by “Wouldn’t this be funny?”

Same thing with the Rocket Boots – even the Rifle’s Overcharge at least has you get up a moment later, not two seconds. If I wanted to play Tony Stark while in the initial stages of building his repulsor-flight boots, well, I’d go find an Iron Man game and slam into walls like an idiot instead, and they probably wouldn’t even give you the option of slapstick smacking yourself off things into the floor.

There’s not even much synergy between the different sets of things, like you might expect there to be to promote the Jack of All Trades playstyle – not even an Elixir Mixer gadget to lower the cooldown on your Elixirs, or a Turret Fabricator to do a similar effect for your turrets, or a Turret Relocator for, well, relocating the things. Elixirs and Turrets are a bit harder to figure out a synergetic use for, but I’m sure it could be done.

Of course, they’d probably end up increasing the cooldowns or autodetonating or something, considering the amount of bugs already afflicting the turrets.

in Engineer

Posted by: Faul.8109

Faul.8109

Where is this myth about grenades being too powerful coming from?

Seriously. Underwater? Anything compared to harpoon underwater is overpowered.

The only decent number I see from using grenades is from the Toolbelt skill Grenade Barrage.

Grenades are good for tagging mobs in Orr, but mines/bombs are way better. I recently changed my spec to condition damage + pistol and haven’t seen any decrease in performance in that aspect. Just stay at max range for the explosive shots to work decently.

in Engineer

Posted by: lepri.6504

lepri.6504

I love my engineer, just hate the bugs (sgil/stat kit is a bug for me)

Blacktide>>Yafes>>Asura Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: EvilZombie.6801

EvilZombie.6801

i hate pistol too low power damage, and the bleed is too short
Poison Dart Volley too much missing just change it to a single target if not losing alot of dps and blowtorch overall everything is awesome
overall is fun !

in Engineer

Posted by: Magic Night.1308

Magic Night.1308

Though I love using turrets I just find them too fragile, would be nice if they scale with stats.

in Engineer

Posted by: Strifer.3507

Strifer.3507

I hate my backpack (kits)!!

in Engineer

coglin.1496

I think everyone expected/wants cooler and more useful turrets-gadgets because its what you expect from an engineer. i think there should be more traits around the gadgets personally they seem neglected. Turrets are such a mess of problems, im assuming they are working on ideas around them. What they come up with i’m eager to see.

I disagree, paticularly with the gadget comment. The gadgets are spectacular.

As far as turrets go, I think they might be okay if they just made some change in which they would not be absolutely the first thing to get aggroed and destroyed.

in Engineer

Posted by: DjJazzman.4031

DjJazzman.4031

The only thing I really hate is that we only have 1 melee weapon/capability.

Sure, the wrench is awsome, even though it doesn’t repair your turrets fast enough. I mean, come on, I have the most beautiful looking norn hammer in my bank and I just want to smash someones face with it.

Then again, putting down a net turret, rifle turret, and a missile turret, then going into bear form sort of makes up for it.

Leyologist Tibbol, [I]Arcane Leyline Expert and Synergetics Graduate[/I] Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

coglin.1496

WE have bombs, I think most players consider those fairly melee as well.

in Engineer

Posted by: Byuu.2308

Byuu.2308

Having only one useful Elite skill.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zandur.5012

Zandur.5012

I have to agree with sentiment that Engineer having random effects is annoying and counter-intuitive to the theme of the profession. Mesmer is the ‘chaos’ profession so random boons and random conditions makes sense. It feels out of place on the engineer which is more of a ‘logic / technology’ type theme.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

The combination of rifle’s terrible range and lag, and grenade’s ground targeting / travel time making it very hard to actually hit anything that doesn’t stand still right next to you.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in Engineer

Posted by: Shinya.8014

Shinya.8014

How can you hate Backpacks?!
I love the Engi concept!

in Engineer

Zinwrath.2049

@coglin. I’m assuming this is an open pve complaint about turrets. Your not the first to mention it but i’ve never had this problem. When i did use em, i would use a tanky turret anyway like thumper to tank for me and the other turrets, or in dungeons that i could actually get away with using a turret i’d drop it after monsters are tagged so it would never draw agro.

PVP they have endless problems which i’m guessing you dont do so its easy to ignore. Immobile pets do not work well in a system that requires you to constantly be on the move. Not that some of them dont have situational uses….just generally are pretty lame and inconsistant unlike many other abilitys that are useful 90% of the time.

Examp: drop a rooted rifle turret and get a little extra damage on hopefully the target i want to kill and not a pet/illusion etc (which they seem to always go after). Or slot bomb kit for a giant ae knockbck nuke and tons of extra options for AE blind/root/confusion and 2 combo fields. Which is gonna be more useful to me in OVER 90% of situations pve and pvp?

in Engineer

Posted by: Thenoob.1480

Thenoob.1480

The blast radius is less than melee range, test it out on the golems in the mist.

Fun Police – Sea of Sorrows

in Engineer

Lyuben.2613

The blast radius is less than melee range, test it out on the golems in the mist.

To be fair, if you’re not using bombs with forceful explosives as a trait.

You ought not to be using bombs at all.

Their radius when traited seems to be that of an untraited fire bomb, which is fairly large.

in Engineer

Zinwrath.2049

To be fair, if you’re not using bombs with forceful explosives as a trait.

You ought not to be using bombs at all.

Their radius when traited seems to be that of an untraited fire bomb, which is fairly large.

If what you were saying were true, then bombs would need buffed and the trait removed. No ability should REQUIRE a specific trait to be effective in its role.

That said, i dont agree but i only use bombs for the combo fields and AE blind usually then swap out of em. Though the increase range is nice.

in Engineer

Lyuben.2613

That’s a bit naive Zinwrath.

I don’t think you should just be able to slot anything, without traiting for it.

Everything, to be viable, ought to require proper traiting, so that the trait system has any meaning and so that you can’t just trait for yourself and the stats you need, rather than for the abilities you need.

in Engineer

Zinwrath.2049

This is where i disagree. Traits should be there to enhance something an ability does…not make it viable. It should be for rounding yourself into a playstyle perhaps but not putting yourself in a situation where your only allowed to use X abilitys. However doing so might make X abilitys more desireable.