Which skills to pick up while leveling?

in Engineer

Posted by: Treadstone.2564

Treadstone.2564

I just started an Engineer and I’m having a good time, but I’m not sure what skills to pick up as I level.

I definitely plan on getting all the kits, because more kits equals more options, but I don’t know what gadgets are worth getting or if turrets are useful at all – I hear a lot of complaining about them.

I don’t plan on doing much PvP, and I’m going to spend 95% of my time doing solo PvE. Thanks!

in Engineer

Posted by: Veyld.2407

Veyld.2407

I’m only lvl 40 with my Engi currently, but so far I’ve been running Pistol/Shield, while running Tool Kit (good for kiting and some extra blocking, plus the melee hits fairly hard), Elixir U (not a big fan of it, but it’s a decent early stun breaker and it helps getting some key skills off quicker, and the small change to it’s tool belt skill have made that more useful), and Elixir Gun (lots of good utility and extra healing). So far, all that has made my lvling pretty smooth.

Gadgets have too high of a CD to be useful in PvE (even though I really like them). Elixirs and Kits are good solid choices for PvE IMO.
Rifle’s have some nice CC and mobility, Pistol/Shield gives some good damage output while being able to play defensively, and Pistol/Pistol is a really nice choice if you’re running Condition Damage.
All up to playstyle though.

Hopefully that’ll help you a bit.

Knights of Apathy [KoA] leader – TC
Not Another Gaming Acronym [NAGA] minon – TC

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Its hard to say since you would eventually unlock all but what I can say is that as you level for 1pt skill dont get utility goggles and throw mine. For t2 skip rockets boots and personal battering ram. For t3, they all can have their uses. As for elites, just take supply crate. Elixir X is decent for pve as well.

in Engineer

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

Penguin is right about Elite Supply Crate. The others are pretty much a waste of 3 minutes of your life waiting for the CD to expire. You will eventually buy the others, but there is no hurry.

in Engineer

Treadstone.2564

Thanks for the input, guys!

What about turrets? Are those any good for solo leveling?

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Turrets
When GW2 first launched every Engi was rocking 4x turrets. Now, even though they’ve been buffed, you never see em cuz every other combo of skills is generally better. Some people take Rifle Turret because its toolbelt skill only has a 10s cooldown so it’s nice with Static Discharge trait (Tools). Some take Net Turret for extra control. Up to you if you need it. I don’t.

Kits
I’ve been running P/P conditions while leveling and have been using Flamethrower (FT) and Elixir Gun (EG) and it works great. EG gives you mobility and heals, FT gives you a strong aoe attack (#2) and some defense with #3 pushback and #5 aoe blind.

If you prefer power rather than conditions Tool Kit is a great kit and #3 hits like a truck with an oversized load. Plus great control and defense.

Lotsa people swear by the Grenade + Bomb Kit combo (both conditions and power). I don’t like the ground targeting for all the grenades so I don’t use it and can’t speak to it. But if it’s popular it’s gotta be effective right?

Gadgets
The biggest gripe right now about gadgets is their long cooldowns. I find they’re used in PvP more than PvE because they can be situational. Goggles and PBR are offensive, the rest tend to be defensive in nature. Keep in mind that while they have long cooldowns, every skill you pick up is essentially 2 skills, factoring in your tool belt.

Elixirs
They’re great. 5s quickness with U is a monster but we don’t really have many of those channeled skills that benefit so nicely from it. Use it as a stun break or to quick-rez. B is a must for any kind of boon stacking you’re doing. R & S are imo PvP oriented elixirs, but can have their place in dungeons I suppose.

Elites
Supply Crate. That is all.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Bomb Kit is king while leveling.

It has the lowest trait dependency of all our kits (only 10 in Explosives), the #1 auto-attack skill hits like a truck, and it applies a couple good combo fields that can bolster your DPS or be used as defensive options.

Grenade Kit and Flamethrower don’t get good until level 60 when you can unlock Grenadier and Juggernaut. Until then, and arguably even still, the Bomb Kit is better for soloing/leveling.

If you don’t feel like using it though, try out Static Discharge with the Rifle. Turrets are also relatively good for the first 20-30 levels, but they drop off in effectiveness as you get into higher level areas because they stop scaling well.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

if only picking a few first:

turrets: net turret: low cooldown, saves your life. Scaling doesn’t matter since it’s an immobilize, not a damage thing.

kits: tool kit to be honest. Very diverse, but mostly a personal favourite.
But bombs do everything, and do it rather easy in normal questing.
Big ole bomb is great fun.

Healing skill: med kit as healing is rather nice.

Gadgets: perhaps rocket boots because it’s not only an escape, but the toolbelt ‘rocket kick’ is a great damage-small aoe ability on a low cooldown.

Other options, but those would be my first pickings.

Traits: speedy kits

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

(edited by Kimbald.2697)

in Engineer

Treadstone.2564

Thanks so much, guys. :]

in Engineer

Posted by: Lanny.6987

Lanny.6987

Lots of good advice above. Until 60 when you get enough traits and armor has enough stats to try out different builds I’d recommend straight power+precision gear. And bombs. Silly OP for levelling since the mobs don’t try and dodge.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vissarion.5182

Vissarion.5182

My engy is currently level 48, and I’ve had a great time leveling her with Rifle Turret + Tool Kit to fuel Static Discharge. The last utility slot is swapped between Flamethrower, which I like for tagging mobs in DEs, Grenade Kit, or Bomb Kit, depending on my mood. Elite is definitely Supply Crate.

My main weapon is Rifle with Power/Precision focus, but I spend most of my time in kits.