While we wait, How are you doing?

in Engineer

Posted by: Furril.7640

Furril.7640

So what’s everyone else doing while waiting in vain for Arenanet to unnerf engineers?

My Engineer has been getting some quality vacation time in Rata Sums gutter, naming the various rats and complaining about the lack of any viable build.

Personally, i’ve been taking a vacation from playing Guild Wars 2 while waiting for the balance team to unbreak the class. No offense to those with special needs, but I don’t think a man with a horseshoe shaped divot in his forehead should manage a job as stressful as class balance.

What’s your story?

in Engineer

Posted by: Eastcorn.5901

Eastcorn.5901

My charr engineer is currently playing with a ball of yarn. With all the nerfs though, I think the yarn is winning…

I tried warrior, got one to 80. It is easy modo for PvE content.
Also catching up on games that I just got off steam.

Other than that, life’s been pretty good man. Thanks for asking.

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

I’m so busy with testing one new trait setup after the other I hardly have time for anything else! it’s a great time! Brian storming lot’s of new movie’s with WvW action I gotta make for you people to see them setups in action! So all In all I’m having a blast playing my engineer more then ever before!

in Engineer

Posted by: FiftyTwoBears.5482

FiftyTwoBears.5482

I….I betrayed….myself…

I made a Guardian….and oh my LORD…it’s SO easy….Why can I take on 3 lvl 19s while im lvl 15?! WHAT THE HECK?!

in Engineer

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Have made a level 80 Mesmer this is iddqd for Guild Wars 2 for all younger player it is God Mode if you compare it to Engi, now i level a Warrior and a Thief

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in Engineer

Posted by: NeryK.5301

NeryK.5301

I often join the zerg in WvW, then proceed to magnet pull people victims into its maw and keep them there while they are being chewed on. I used to like lobbing grenades on forts but nowadays it seems everyone have figured out the destructible walls bug (plus there was -that- nerf of course).

It also helps that I have a guardian to fall back on when I get my kitten handed back to me one time too many.

I like this job. I like it !

in Engineer

Posted by: Chupey.2397

Chupey.2397

My engi is currently blowing people to kitten in WvW or bunkering like a boss in sPvP.

Maybe your engis should start trying harder ^^;

in Engineer

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

I don’t get what everyone is complaining about. While leveling my engineer, I was able to do entire missions while 12 levels under the recommended level. In PvP, I own faces with the SD spike and in dungeons I have a lot of things I can do. Is engineer perfect? No. Is it bad? NO!

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

in Engineer

Posted by: SpreadCheese.5208

SpreadCheese.5208

I often join the zerg in WvW, then proceed to magnet pull people victims into its maw and keep them there while they are being chewed on. I used to like lobbing grenades on forts but nowadays it seems everyone have figured out the destructible walls bug (plus there was -that- nerf of course).

It also helps that I have a guardian to fall back on when I get my kitten handed back to me one time too many.

Nerf doesn’t apply in WvW.

in Engineer

Posted by: NeryK.5301

NeryK.5301

Yes it does, to all game types. Grenades behave the same everywhere since the last large update (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-December-14-2012)

I like this job. I like it !

in Engineer

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

My Engineer is responsible for farming in Orr; he is, quite simply, better at it than any of my other characters. Much as I’d like to take him into dungeons, he just doesn’t offer enough (and I really don’t want to have to fully re-trait and re-equip every time I go into a dungeon) to groups in most situations. Before the Super Elixir “fix” I was happy to take him along as support, now not so much.

So my Warrior is getting a lot of dungeon spotlight time, though I might send my support-y Necromancer in to one or two of them just to mix things up.

Meanwhile I’m also levelling my various other alts (and just not “getting” the Mesmer).

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

in Engineer

Posted by: Kamil.6541

Kamil.6541

I don t say that engineer is bad but he lost most of their fun for me. The grenades was only good reliable weapon on then which when used smart and with skill it had high DPS and give me a lot of fun in WvW.

I personalty make vacation from GW2 because i don t see any good build which will suits me. I don t like be a bunker man :P i liked to be grenadier on rage.

Now i try other MMO’s and games which bough on steam sale,
,my friends starts playing GW2 again but i don t want play again, I miss my eng.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Playing STO, Legend of Grimrock.

I tried the rifle/condi build someone posted recently. bout the only thing that works anymore. Oops meant, the only thing that works in PVE other then tankcat.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

in Engineer

Posted by: Tyaen.5148

Tyaen.5148

Farming badges in WvW.

Tyyaen – Engineer (80) [SS]
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

in Engineer

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

On a thief, thinking about leveling an elementalist.

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

in Engineer

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I just made a engineer and I love it! I find this class so survivable and I love the fact that you can basically have 4 weapon sets.
It is my new solo character and I have no problem dealing with mobs at all.

Btw My main is an 80 Mesmer
alts: ele- 58
mesmer-38
thief-24.
engi-18
I adore all my others but engis just have a certain something

Gunnar’s Hold

in Engineer

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

Playing my warrior, leveling guardian. And boy you DO feel the difference between engi and a finished and well-designed class.

My engi now waits for some reworks from Anet.

EU Aurora Glade

in Engineer

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

My engineer remains my only extensively played class. He continually impresses other players in dungeon and fractal groups, holds his own well in any type of pvp, and explores any pve area without trouble. He looks forward to some well-deserved buffs and knows that because he does well now, he will only do better then. He certainly does not lie around wallowing in self-pity waiting for other people to improve things for him.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

in Engineer

Posted by: Davi.4920

Davi.4920

what builds you running amos?

in Engineer

Posted by: speedbox.1473

speedbox.1473

I think hes just sarcastic dude

in Engineer

Posted by: Davi.4920

Davi.4920

I think hes just sarcastic dude

oh…

in Engineer

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

For dungeons/fractals, I go rifle with power/precision, Elixir R, and two of the following: Flamethrower, Toolkit, Grenade Kit. Usually FT/Tool. And of course Supply Drop. I’m traited 20/30/0/0/20 with the obvious trait choices. (With FT and Toolkit, the most fun thing is to get a guardian with no range trying to hit an enemy nearby – you air blast the enemy away from him, he goes to chase it, you magnet it back to you, he runs back, then you overcharged shot the enemy back away from you. They get so mad lol.)

In pvp, I try all sorts of things but with a bigger focus on toughness and vitality, and sometimes use pistol/shield. My fights tend to be long because we’re not in the best place right now as far as power, but we are in a good place with control. If I come up against someone with stability, I don’t tend to do well. But if I can knock someone around at will with two short cd knockbacks, a pull, a reflect, an immobilize, etc, I usually can win – sometimes against multiple players. If I try to counter glass cannons, I’ll use a shield to eat most of their burst, or I will put some confusion on them with pistol/prybar and they hurt themselves pretty badly.

I am by no means an expert on engineer, but I just can’t bring myself to play another class just yet. I have too much fun on my engineer. I’m probably not doing things optimally, and I’m sure this setup of mine will be criticized, but hey – I do well with it and I have fun! While I’ve read about and tried different builds from this forum, I generally just make my own builds in a way that makes sense to me. I have a winning record in s and t pvp and never had trouble completing a dungeon or fractal (currently level 21). I’ve never felt like I’m a detriment to my team.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

in Engineer

Posted by: Felicela.2810

Felicela.2810

I took a break from my Sylvari Engineer just couldnt stand her anymore. Now I am playing my Norn Engineer and its so much better.

Farming CM to finish my Con Dmg/Prec/Tough build, and using the gold to hopefully afford Plague x 2, Tortured Root x 2, and Colossal Fang, assuming I dont get to Fractals 10 before then and can start saving for my rings from there.

Doing WvW to complete my badges and get a set of gear from there.

Oh and honestly considering leveling another engineer of a different race, I need more materials to finish all my crafting for the achievement, along with a different race to get those achievements, its truly the class I enjoy the most.

(edited by Felicela.2810)

in Engineer

Posted by: Sean.8921

Sean.8921

Not doing as much as a month ago. Most of my time is spent thinking of creative ways to spend time in wvw or climbing Fractal scales.

Lately in wvw I’ve been sitting close to a ledge waiting for solo gankers to take down this pitiful engineer only to get net shotted and then barrel roll to the side for an overcharge shot or battering ram over the cliff for some free badges.

Here in SoR I get into a few groups once awhile to be greeted along the lines of, “holy s*** it’s an engie,” to which I play along like some Australian nature show host by saying, “yeah they’re a rare breed, you’ve got to live in the jungle to really see one of them.”

Captain Charrmandre (SoR) Occasional streamnanigans @ https://goo.gl/9HZUb1

in Engineer

Posted by: mifbifgiggle.6713

mifbifgiggle.6713

lack of any viable build.

We still have a few viable builds. I hate people who think grenade kit is the only good thing we have. I personally thought it was one of the least powerful kits.

Mr Flintlock, lvl 80 Engineer
Jade Quarry Crusader
rock the elixirs.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I’ve been running my Anvil Engineer (though, now he’s using a P/S build for the increased defenses) around mostly to gather materials. Been going into dungeons, actually having some success (assuming a party that works together) as a tricky tank. Other than that, I’ve also made an alt or four (Charr Warrior, Charr Thief, Asura Ranger, and a Human Mesmer) to play when I feel like easy mode.

in Engineer

Posted by: leftharted.7102

leftharted.7102

Every MMO goes through constant balancing acts…. but overall, im just fine with engineer…. Even though we get the short end of the stick in multiple areas, we also have (in my opinion) more diversity than any other class….

it boils down to Skill and Apptitude… if you’re an adept MMO player, its easily to utilize all of the vast tools engineer has, but if you’re newer to MMO’s, you’ll most likley have trouble taking advantage and understanding all the tools availiable to us..

i know im speaking generally, but, i mean too… theirs no ‘One Build to Rule them ALL’ for Any class…. everything has a counter, as long as the person is adept enough to recognize When to counter…. and, (again, in my opinion) Engineer has ALOT of cards up their sleeve… it simply takes Skill to know When Where and How to attack situations…

so, i guess in conclusion, my ‘story’ i still going strong. Ill be happy if we get the better half of the see-saw on the next few patches, but even if that neverh appens… im perfectly content with engineer…

in Engineer

Posted by: The Slyfe.7231

The Slyfe.7231

Rolled another engi… Yeah I have a problem…

in Engineer

Posted by: Misery.9825

Misery.9825

Yes it does, to all game types. Grenades behave the same everywhere since the last large update (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-December-14-2012)

I’d like to note that while the nerf does apply to sPvP, those within various PvP games currently have weapon stats as all of the stats come from other parts of the gear and not the weapon itself. This means that, as you know, the engineer is far weaker in PvE than it is in PvP. If anything, it would make more sense if that were swapped around. Not that Engineer needs anything changed beyond a rebalance of the grenade spam. It’s not that it does too much damage otherwise warrior axe auto attack would be cut in half (really though, I’ve pulled something like 13k-15k dps from just auto attacking with it in a PvE environment). I assure you, engineers have never pulled over 10k dps from spamming the 1 key. Not that it didn’t do decent damage, but not all grenades were guaranteed to hit and that, at least I thought, was good enough reason for them to do the damage they did [pre-nerf].

in Engineer

Posted by: LunaticChaos.7138

LunaticChaos.7138

Lv 80: Engineer, Warrior, Theif, Necromancer
LV 65: Guardian (And currently working on)
Under Lv 10: Ranger, Elementalist, Mesmer

Obviously enough, I’m like all real Engineers, a tiny bit crazy.
Leveling up 1 of each class to learn how they all play.

Engineer was my first lv 80, and its sort of disappointing how badly they’ve been nerfed. We either have to do a huge skill dance to keep up with any role, do a lot more kiting, etc.
I will say this, the skills I got from having to be all sorts of fancy has worked wonders for my ability to play the other classes.
As for my Engineer, he’s been doing jumping puzzles and vacationing in Southshore while he waits for a PVE build that doesn’t give me carpal with all the button presses and finger movements.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bard.7215

Bard.7215

My Engineer is 80 and I still play it without much of a problem. I don’t do a lot of instances so i’ve never experienced the whole Engi Discrimination factor people have talked about.

I do WvW and spam grenades without really looking at numbers, although my aging computer can’t take WVW and the FPs drops to around 8-15 in zergs so my usefulness is never actually estimated in dps.

I’m not amazing at pvp in general but I’ve been testing an 30 alchemy, 30 firearms and 10 tools specialization that focuses on stacking condition and dpsing with bleeds aswell as good survivability. I use elixer gun, Pistol Pistol swapping (sometimes shield) to stack conditions and use Elixer C and Elixer-b (Debating on subbing B for something else) but swap utility depending on situations and good foresight (Swap elixer S if theif closing in). The effectiveness of the build is hard to tell given that I’m not outstanding at pvp and very rarely fight alone, though I have survived 3v1 encounters and soloed people in 1v1 (Albeit it takes time due to bleed stacking). It’s a very chance based build given my victories come against condition spammers who proc my boon conversions. I play this build knowing that it’s probobally the worst thing a person could do given the “Engi’s can only grenade spam and it’s nerf means the death of the class” philosophy.

Overall I couldn’t say I was upset about the nerf until going on today and seeing all the “We’re finished, it’s over guys” threads like this.

The biggest irony about this is I stopped playing my ele because they were being called the worst class in the game, and now my Engi is (where as ele’s are doing a lot better from what I’ve heard)

Sort of like building a sandcastle

in Engineer

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

I rolled an elementalist. Now I know what versatility really is. I’ve been playing a necro too. They’ve got some crazy survivability and great AoE.

in Engineer

Bard.7215

I’ve heard that necro’s are suffering as badly as engi’s right now.

You can basically tell what classes have it the worst by looking at the number of negative threads on the front page.. Warriors have none.. lel.

in Engineer

Posted by: Snaveno.1960

Snaveno.1960

You can basically tell what classes have it the worst by looking at the number of negative threads on the front page.. Warriors have none.. lel.

All you can tell from the number of negative threads about a particular class are the number of people who still believe in the “one viable build” philosophy other MMOs have forced them to follow.

I love my Sylvari Engineer, and think it’s funny how people assume I’m the weakest member of the group unless my lag spikes for whatever reason and my heals, conditions, control, and tanking ability slip, at which point the group usually wipes because nobody can even approach the level of all around and continuous contribution I provide. Even when I’m playing selfishly, my team benefits directly, thanks to my AoE buffs and heals.

I’m the guy who keeps the simple-minded signet and greatsword warrior alive long enough to deal his epic crits, and I’m content knowing that all it takes is me aiming one of my heals slightly to the left or me not immediately reviving him every single time he goes down for that warrior to look like a complete waste of space. Plus, I average more dps, since I never go down even when I’m face-tanking mobs; unless my internet betrays me, of course.

For those that wish to know and/or pick apart builds, I run 0/30/20/20/0 in prec/vitality/healing power gear with a giver’s pearl handcannon of generosity and a shield of the wing of water with elixir H, elixir gun, elixir R, elixir C, and supply crate. It’s the most stable and powerful build I’ve found for my particular play-style, but I don’t necessarily encourage everybody to play it, because it requires heightened situational awareness. It is also quite easy to become an accidental troll when you pop the shield’s knock-back right as the warrior or guardian is about to hit with their heavy attack (even if that same knock-back was to launch an AoE heal off of a water combo field to keep said warrior or guardian alive).

P.S. I also have a necro, and while he’s too low level for me to fully judge, I’ve seen no problems since they fixed a few rather obvious bugs.

(edited by Snaveno.1960)

in Engineer

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

My engineer remains my only extensively played class. He continually impresses other players in dungeon and fractal groups, holds his own well in any type of pvp, and explores any pve area without trouble. He looks forward to some well-deserved buffs and knows that because he does well now, he will only do better then. He certainly does not lie around wallowing in self-pity waiting for other people to improve things for him.

Good on ya and glad I’m not the only one who feels this way. When Anet gives you lemons, throw some grenades.

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

in Engineer

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

Doing instances now and then and some wvw, doing pretty well for myself.

I also love how people say every other class is so much better yet I keep winning.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

I also love how people say every other class is so much better yet I keep winning.

Perhaps because WvW is largely meaningless in terms of class balance and is full of Pvers and not so good players, so anyone half decent can do well on any class, try doing some paid tPvP against people that have a clue as to what they are doing and see how many times you get instagibbed or how your engy is inferior at every role, because your class has been nerfed to death / full of bugs and is bascially weak.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

in Engineer

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

The necro needs some better damage on axe, a few bug fixes, trait fixes and an AI patch. Then just tweaking. But then again, all classes need bug fixes, trait fixes and weapon balancing.

Pretty much all of the top tPvP teams run a necro. It’s not flashy like a mesmer, guardian, thief or ele but it’s necessary. But yeah, you’ll see a necro a mesmer and an ele in almost every single team.

Conversly, you’ll almost never see an engineer. Warriors and guardians are pretty common, rangers sometimes too. Engineers, almost never. Nobody is as bad off as them. Simply because anything an engineer can do, somebody else can do better.

in Engineer

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

Yeah, necro has some minor issues, but it is a well designed class with clear roles. The amount of utility a decent necro brings to a party is pretty high. Can’t compare it to engi in PvE.

As to people who say that they are doing good in dungeons, I advice to try other classes to see how much damage or healing they can bring compared to engi. It’s not the matter of playing your favorite class, it’s the matter of being a dick and being a fifth wheel.

EU Aurora Glade

in Engineer

Posted by: Creld.8702

Creld.8702

Just hit 80 on my little engy, first character maxed for me. I feel like I do passably well, running a flamethrower and elixirs, 10/30/0/30/0. Only problems come up when I need to break something that isn’t moving. You know, like a cart. Because flamethrowers are naturally inept at hitting carts. Or something.

Started playing my guardian a bit again, and it’s a world apart. Its like, I don’t need to run in circles while praying to the divines and chugging more purple potion than a gamer does do? How does that work?

Still, the style of the engineer keeps me hooked, it may not be as powerful as most other classes right now, but there’s a certain satisfaction that comes from burning a half dozen enemies to a crisp while knowing if they catch you, you die.

Also, elixir x. Because when you’re 1v1ing a noob guardian, nothing is funnier than seeing a 3 foot tall asura punching the crudnebbits out of a norn. Skilled guardies, not so much.

Asura Engineer- Aelara Fole

in Engineer

Posted by: Felicela.2810

Felicela.2810

Good on ya and glad I’m not the only one who feels this way. When Anet gives you lemons, throw some grenades.

I think you mean go throw some lemonades!

(edited by Felicela.2810)

in Engineer

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

Perhaps because WvW is largely meaningless in terms of class balance and is full of Pvers and not so good players, so anyone half decent can do well on any class, try doing some paid tPvP against people that have a clue as to what they are doing and see how many times you get instagibbed or how your engy is inferior at every role, because your class has been nerfed to death / full of bugs and is bascially weak.

Blah blah blah you just suck at engy bro, admit it eyeroll
And I don’t do TPvP because I HATE how you’re locked into one setup.

I also took down a legendary weapon wielding guardian on my own so hah ^^

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

lack of any viable build.

We still have a few viable builds. I hate people who think grenade kit is the only good thing we have. I personally thought it was one of the least powerful kits.

Actually in pve we don’t.

I hate when pvpers think that pvp is the only aspect of the game and their niche builds mean the class works perfectly.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Sylosi.6503

Beating some pver who has spent his time getting a legndary as opposed to practicing PvP is irrelevant to balance (quite why you are unable to grasp this, is a mystery), go try tPvP (or even go watch a decent player like Teldo) and see the difference between an engy trying to defend a point and a guardian or Ele (especially trying to hold 1v2), then you might learn something about why engys are currently weak, or alternatively continue to sound off like a (to use your word) “chump”.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

in Engineer

Posted by: Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Owning ’erbody’s face in WvW on my might stacking flamethrowin’ baddass of an engineer.

DH Yak’s Bend – Perfect Dark [PD]
Dr Hoppenheimer – Engi / Meowzir – Guard /
Mulcibur Nox – Ele / Mr Directed – Mes

in Engineer

Sylosi.6503

Beating some pver with a legndary is irrelevant to balance (quite why you are unable to grasp this, is a mystery), go try tPvP (or even go watch a decent player like Teldo) and see the difference between an engy trying to defend a point and a guardian or Ele (especially trying to hold 1v2), then you might learn something about why engys are currently weak, or alternatively continue to sound off like a (to use your word) “chump”.

rofl suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck YOU SUCK. Sorry, but you do. I have no problems vs other classes PvP wise and the day I feel Engineers can’r give any oponent a run for the money, well, THAT’S when I’ll start complaining. Til then you can either man up like others have or keep complaining.

The only PvP that is relevant to PvP class balance is tPvP, decent players of every class can regularly 1v2 / 1v3 players in WvW, for some classes (thief/ele) they can take on more, you or anyone else doign fine in WvW has no bearing on PvP balance.

But anyway I see you opted for the second option, gratz.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

in Engineer

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

Doing great! Enjoying my Elementalist. So many ways to build and play the class that are all very effective and useful to a group. I may not be back.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

in Engineer

Bard.7215

so Elementalists are no longer the worst class? Again I ironically quit leveling mine for my engineer after realizing they can’t do pvp without a bunker and all these other bad things about the class that were ranted about in the forums. Did they get uber buffed? I thought the fire and lighting tree were still poorly designed and that they need focus on arcane just to function?(Last time I played)

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

so Elementalists are no longer the worst class?

Are you joking? They are one of the best professions.

d/d Ele is the best, allround, truely versatile playstyle. Combining high damage, control, high mobility, support and survability(perma protection, regen and a lot of condition removal). Really, they do everything well.
Honestly cant imagine it wont get nerfed at some point in the future.

in Engineer

Posted by: Desterion.6407

Desterion.6407

I love my engineer but the number of nerfs has lead me to starting and playing a warrior now. I honestly feel like a god playing a war because my engi could never do the things he does. In wvw as an engi I basically find it now that 1v1 we can’t really win against anything. Either they’re weak and we’re even or they roflstomp me. Granted I spec’d into grenades and just only returned a few weeks ago. I’m going to need to figure out a new spec because nades are worthless now.