Why aren't Gryos in underwater combat?

in Engineer

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

One thing that got overlooked, and is driving me insane…. Why are Gyros not eligible Underwater skills?

With the exception of Shreader, due to ground targeting, none of the other Gyros behave in a way that would prevent them from being functional underwater. In fact, they’d be great additions because their skill functions are just AOE passive effects. Even the Tool belt skills would be incredible for bunker and support roles in their own right, since the tool kits don’t synergize the same way they do on land.

Just considering what they are, so much of it makes perfect sense with the limited underwater combat we have now.

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

Because Arena-Net has pretty much given up on underwater combat.

And quite honestly, I am okay with that.

in Engineer

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Look at the revenants the poor guys and girls they have nearly no underwater combat utilities.

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in Engineer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Because for the most part, underwater combat is a goner and forgotten.

I mean, look at all the other elite specs. none of the Chronomancer wells work underwater, either. Revenants just flat out don’t really have underwater combat.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Kinda funny that chrono can’t use wells underwater but necro can.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

For all of us that think underwater combat is dead, and why wouldn’t we think that?

But isn’t there a Deep Sea Dragon, Bubbles…you remember him right? He is blocking our way into Cantha. What are we going to do pull a Moses and part the waters? Or is anet going to make us ship hop all the way there.

Another odd addition are ascended rebreathers. Makes me think we might not be out of the water just yet.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

Elder Dragon Bubbles is gonna have to come with a total underwater-combat overhaul if it’s gonna be even remotely enjoyable to deal with.

The class is always greener on the other side.

in Engineer

Posted by: Djealo.7369

Djealo.7369

Unpopular opinion here: I actually like underwater combat, especially on engineer. Why does everyone say that it needs rework and that the underwater gameplay in GW2 is bad?

in Engineer

Posted by: Nate.8146

Nate.8146

Djealo, I don’t think it’s an unpopular opinion. I enjoy underwater combat myself and find it quite relaxing. The scenery is also much different compared to land, so it breaths new life into the game.

As for the OP, I think specializations were catered specifically to meet the challenges in HoT, which is predominantly land based. There’s only a stretch of underwater in TD, but I haven’t seen any purpose for it other than map filler. Thus, land focus art and design was likely the primary focus for the team. Take turrets for example. Turrets underwater look like underwater buoys. For gyros, they would have to make them look like miniature submersibles with their own sounds and such. It would add extra effort that I think Anet didn’t have the resources to commit. Considering fixed and existing critical bugs since release, had they spent time to address underwater specializations I think the project would have been delayed, or in a much worse release state.

in Engineer

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Unpopular opinion here: I actually like underwater combat, especially on engineer. Why does everyone say that it needs rework and that the underwater gameplay in GW2 is bad?

The basics are decent… its the lack of build consideration thats the problem. Half the skills of every class doesn’t work underwater, and only the core (non-theme specific) traits do anything to enhance the skills that do work there. Since all the high level areas are at least 25-50% water by traversable volume, you’d think at least some plans were being made to give them the same build integration land based skills got.

But like a lot of high level content/areas, they’ve remained half finished since beta rushed to launch; just as Orr has several mechanical aspects of it in a perpetual unfinished state.

The engineers got a huge leg up, because the kits work almost identically underwater (Grenades however get huge usability buff from the working auto attack). The other classes however give up their traited weapons, projectile attacks have horrid damage, only spears have even a single good burst damage attack, they all have long cool downs, none of the underwater weapons synergize with utility skills at the level of land based ones, and only the Ele’s attunements give access to enough weapon skills to keep pressure and DPS up as a solo unit.

Game AI also has a bad habit of not understanding the 3rd axis, as they only approach up to the melee range of their attack, but the attacks themselves don’t always include the vertical element in its hit detection behavior (which is also an issue with player skills).

Like I said, the basic of it aren’t bad….. but the other mechanics don’t follow though to support it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Djealo.7369

Djealo.7369

The basics are decent… its the lack of build consideration thats the problem. Half the skills of every class doesn’t work underwater, and only the core (non-theme specific) traits do anything to enhance the skills that do work there. Since all the high level areas are at least 25-50% water by traversable volume, you’d think at least some plans were being made to give them the same build integration land based skills got.

But like a lot of high level content/areas, they’ve remained half finished since beta rushed to launch; just as Orr has several mechanical aspects of it in a perpetual unfinished state.

The engineers got a huge leg up, because the kits work almost identically underwater (Grenades however get huge usability buff from the working auto attack). The other classes however give up their traited weapons, projectile attacks have horrid damage, only spears have even a single good burst damage attack, they all have long cool downs, none of the underwater weapons synergize with utility skills at the level of land based ones, and only the Ele’s attunements give access to enough weapon skills to keep pressure and DPS up as a solo unit.

Game AI also has a bad habit of not understanding the 3rd axis, as they only approach up to the melee range of their attack, but the attacks themselves don’t always include the vertical element in its hit detection behavior (which is also an issue with player skills).

Like I said, the basic of it aren’t bad….. but the other mechanics don’t follow though to support it.

I get your point, thank you! Hopefully there will be a point with a big overhaul in the future. It feels like a missed opportunity for unique action gameplay.

in Engineer

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

I’d love gyros to work underwater only. Probably wouldn’t change their usage much :P